Mingyu's idea

A Little Help From My Friends

When someone talks about best friends crushing on each other, people tend to think of it as cute and romantic; that was not Wonwoo's case.

 

He was well aware of Junhui’s good looks, and had it been anyone else the owner of his blond hair and enticing smirk, Wonwoo was sure he would have fallen head over heels. But Junhui was his best friend, the person he grew up with, and his feelings towards the taller were nothing but platonic. Jun was his almost-brother, and nothing else.

 

The dancer, however, seemed to think the opposite: he was always clinging onto the brunet, acting boyfriend-ly whenever they were together, whether there were people around or not; and that was exactly the problem. Seungcheol, Soonyoung and even little innocent Chan had been bugging him about it for the past few months, even if he stated there was nothing going on between them, and it was beginning to get on his nerves.

 

Maybe Mingyu’s idea was completely ridiculous, but it was his last resource before explicitly rejecting the blond’s advances, and he was desperate.


“Hyung!”, Mingyu screamed from the other side of the corridor, sprinting towards him and stopping right before bumping into him, but late enough to send his own books spiraling on the polished floor. He quickly collected everything before grabbing said hyung’s wrist and pulling him towards the janitor’s closet, locking the door behind them.

 

“Yah, Mingyu-yah, what is this?”, said the elder, rubbing his arm. Since when was Mingyu so strong?

 

“Remember when you told me how Junhui-hyung’s got a crush on you?”. He didn’t even wait for an answer before continuing, “Well, I think I have the perfect idea for you to get rid of it!”

Wonwoo rolled his eyes; he had been the subject of many of Mingyu’s “brilliant” ideas in the past, not a single one of them having a good ending for him. He was about to leave the closet when strong hands grasped his shoulders, forcing him to focus on the taller’s face.

“Listen, hyung! You”, his left hand abandoned the other’s shoulder to give him a ‘boop’ in the nose, “could pretend to date someone! That way, Jun-hyung will see he has no chance with you. I’m a genius or not?”, he finished with a wiggle of his browns.

 

The elder was momentarily silent, blinking rapidly up at the other. “Out of all the awful ideas you’ve ever had, this one is by far the worst.”

 

“Aw, c’mon hyung! Did any of your other ideas work? No, they didn’t, because none of them were as good as mine!”

 

“Mingyu-yah, I can’t just pretend to be dating someone out of the blue! I spend most of my time with Junhui, he will know it’s a lie! And even if he doesn’t, there’s no one that could do that, all our friends are taken.”

 

“Oh, but I know the perfect person for that, and he’s definitely single and available.”

 

“And who’s that, Mr. Genius?”

 

The taller grasped his hand, using his finger to give a ‘boop’ to his own nose, a -eating grin spreading across his face as he exclaimed enthusiastically, “Me!”

 

Wonwoo was stunned; his brain short circuited and he could think of nothing.

 

So he ran.


“You are the biggest ing idiot in the world!”

 

“Minghao, will you stop screaming? I don’t want to get yet another noise complaint because of you all”, Jisoo said, eyes never leaving his textbook.

 

Some members of their group had gathered themselves inside Jisoo’s dorm room, which he shared with another senior, a boy named Minhyun, to discuss Mingyu’s current situation; as the latter laid sprawled on the floor, a pillow covering his face, Minghao paced around, while Jeonghan sat on the bed with his own textbooks, trying hard not to snicker, Hansol revised the lyrics to the song he had to turn in the following week and Jisoo tried to study, regretting allowing the reunion to happen in his room.

 

The door slammed open all of a sudden, in coming Jihoon and Seungkwan. The shorter of them lifted the pillow off Mingyu’s face, smirking. “Heard about what you did. You’re an idiot.”

 

“Gee, thanks hyung, I don’t think I understood it the last thirty times Minghao called me that!” The Chinese boy gave him a kick on the shin, glaring.

 

“Jihoon-ah could always hit you with the guitar again, maybe it’ll put some sense into your head”, Jeonghan suggested. At this, Mingyu instantly shot up, using the pillow as a shield.

 

“I’m fine, I’m up, there’s no need for violence, you bunch of masochists!”

 

“Out of all the incredibly stupid ways to embarrass yourself in front of your crush, I think yours was the worst one, hyung”, said Hansol, completely abandoning his notes in favor of giving attention to his own boyfriend.

 

“You tell me, Mr. “let me kiss you then not talk to you for an entire week”!”

 

“Yah, hyung, he was just shy!”

 

“You wanted to rip his head off!” Before an argument could ensue, a phone went off loudly, startling everyone. The tallest of them checked his mobile, his eyes widening at what he saw.

 

Even Jisoo had stopped studying, get up and going towards his dongsaeng. “Mingyu-yah, is everything alright?”

 

“It’s Wonwoo-hyung. He said he will do it.”