The One Where They Meet Hobi part 2

Jin's Boys.

Seokjin was nervous as he stepped out of the bus. Just like he was nervous getting on the plane, then the entire bus ride that would take him to the place he had once called home. He kept playing with his wedding band, bag thrown over his shoulder, as he looked around. Nothing had changed yet everything had. With shaking fingers, he took out his phone from his jeans pocket and called Namjoon.

 

"Joon-ah. I'm here. I mean, I gotta walk home but I just got off the bus."

 

"Oh good okay Hyung. You'll be fine, don't worry too much, yeah? Keep telling me everything."

 

Seokjin nodded before remembering he would have to talk to be understood and muttered a small 'okay'. He hated being so far apart.

 

"Joonie. Distract me. Tell me something. What did you guys do?"

 

Namjoon chuckled quietly-a good sign. "Hyung, did you know that Yoongi doesn't eat his cereals until he's turned them all on the convex-side up?"

 

Seokjin laughed a little, he did know but it was nice to have Namjoon know everything too. He knew that his husband always tried his best to spend time with his family. Seokjin heard him talk as he walked on, "Hyung why does Yoongi have so many bright clothes?"

 

A small smile spread over Jin's face too, "Namjoon-ah, he's three. He can wear whatever he likes."

 

"But hyuuuung, its hurting my eyes."

 

"Shh Joonie you'll hurt his feelings."

 

"Ah no, he fell asleep."

 

"Again? What-its just 11. He'll give you trouble at night."

 

"Yeah but we were in the car so I let him. I can't just wake him up right? Look at him, he looks so-so peaceful hyung. Its like the sunset, the look on his face-its just so warm and comforting."

 

Seokjin laughed to himself but obviously Namjoon heard. "Hyung!"

 

"Yah quiet down. He'll wake up."

 

"But Hyung you can't just laugh! Its true!" His voice had dropped down to a whisper. That got another snort out of Jin.

 

"I know Joon-ah, but nobody would ever believe how much of a sap you are when it comes to Yoongi." It was true; anyone who looked at their couple would never be able to guess that Namjoon was the one with a soft spot when it came to his son. It was another one of those things Jin found adorable.

 

Namjoon huffed and muttered a 'you like it' that was obviously not meant to be heard. Seokjin laughed out loud and he was sure that Namjoon was pouting and probably looking ridiculous while doing so.

"Are you at the studio yet?"

 

"Yeah, I'm here. Its better he's sleeping, you know how I get."

 

Seokjin hummed thoughtfully but his feet stilled as his gaze landed on the all too familiar house. He'd been so preoccupied with everything Namjoon was saying that he didnt notice he had reached his destination. There was a sharp intake of breath- Seokjin closed his eyes and willed himself to calm down.

 

"Are you there?" Namjoon's voice broke through his internal anguish, even he sounded worried.

 

"Yeah, yeah I'm here. I-"

 

"It'll be okay Hyung. I promise. I...I love you so much."

 

There were tears in Seokjin's eyes and a choking feeling in his throat but he pushed it all back because he knew their love could and always had won against the world.

 

"I love you too Namjoonie."

 

*****

 

"Mother."

 

"Seokjin."

 

Seokjin looked at the figure of the old woman; grey hair tied in a messy bun, crinkles by her eyes that could easily be mistaken for smile lines, lips slightly upturned in way of courtesy- no matter how much he tried to find the woman who loved him, she was not there anymore. Her eyes colder, her posture almost business-like, her smile plastic.

 

"Come on in son, you didn't bring my grandchild with you?"

 

"No. He's with Namjoon."

 

At the mention of his husband, her expression gave way to a disgusted sneer, "So you're still with that-"

 

"Stop. You know what I'm going to say-lets not go there." Seokjin paused half to just place his bag on the couch, and half so he could gather his thoughts and feelings again. He decided to speak up, fingers finding his wedding band again, "Where is noona?"

 

"Come see your father first-"

 

"Please. Please tell me what's going on. Why am I here?"

 

His mother sighed, "Sohyun-she, she was in an accident."

 

Seokjin's heart felt like it stopped before beating twice as hard as it normally does. He could feel the roar in his ears, head thumping and throwing his thoughts into frenzy, "What-what do you mean-"

 

"There was a car accident. Her husband was declared dead on the spot."

 

"No." At this point, Jin's knees gave way and he sat back on the couch, hand gripping the armrest like his life depended on it. His mother continued, " Sohyun was in the ICU- the doctors said she probably won't make it."

 

Seokjin covered his mouth with his hand, he didn't trust himself-his thoughts, his actions.

 

"She wanted to see you but she, she went the next day."

 

Seokjin shut his eyes, a few tears escaping in doing so. He couldn't believe it, he just couldn't.

 

His mother's wavering voice continued,"she wanted you to-to have Hobi. Your father thinks he'll be better off with us."

 

"How can you even say that right now?!" Jin pulled at his hair as more and more tears rolled down his cheeks. For a while she stayed there but soon he heard his father's approaching footsteps and then his mother wordlessly disappeared down the hallway with him. He had once associated this very house to happiness and beautiful memories-but now he was sure it had brought him nothing but pure misery. He didn't know how long he sat there, but at some point he left the room when his mother had received visitors that had come to offer their condolences.

 

He went to his old room only to find that it had been remodelled into a study for his father. Of course, he thought bitterly, as he dumped his bag unceremoniously in one of the guest rooms. He sat there on the bed, emotionally and physically drained of all his capacity to function properly. He wanted to call Namjoon but he didn't have the strength to do so. God knows how much he had wanted to lose himself in the comfort of the warmth of his husband's arms in that moment but life was cruel and he was alone.

 

He sat there thinking, tears occasionally rolling down his face but he was too tired to wipe them off. Right when he was happy in life, the fates above had decided to pull this on him.

 

"Eomma?" A voice interrupted and for a second he thought it was Yoongi, but he knew better. He whipped his head to the side to be greeted by the sight of small boy hiding behind the curtains. He had the same big, innocent eyes and dark hair. Just like noona.

 

Hobi backed off when he got a good look at his face but stepped forward again with an unsure call of "taptop?"

 

Jin rubbed his face and tried for a small smile, "Hey Hobi." His voice was cracked but soft nonetheless. Hobi stepped forward then, a little more sure as he quickly settled on the bed beside Jin. The boy reached out hold Jin's face in his tiny hands, "Jjin." He said, "Taptop" and smiled brightly, proudly showcasing a variety of missing teeth.

 

Laptop. Right. Seokjin thought back to all the times he'd seen his nephew through a laptop screen, Hoseok had remembered him. Seokjin quickly wrapped his arms around the boy and sat him on his lap, the child's head nestled comfortably on Seokjin's shoulders.

 

"Yes Hobi. Its Jin." There were more tears in his eyes but he simple held onto Hoseok even more tightly.

 

"Jjin, Eomma where?"

 

"I don't know, I don't know." And Seokjin had cried.

 

A few hours later, Hoseok was tucked in comfortably on the bed and Seokjin lay beside him-thinking. Namjoon called-Seokjin had let him talk about his day before telling him the news and breaking down yet again. His husband tried his best to comfort him but there was only so much he could do while they were far apart. "I'm gonna be there Hyung. I'm coming."

 

"Joon, I-they..I don't-"

 

"Shh Hyung its okay. I'm coming and that's it."

 

"The funeral's day after tomorrow. Namjoon?"

 

"Yeah?"

 

"Hobi-I'm going to take him with us," Jin ran a hand through the boy's hair,"that's okay...right?"

 

"Of course Hyung. He's our son now." There they were, tears pooling in his eyes again, this time out of love and warmth.

 

"Thank you"

 

"Shh Hyung, don't say thanks."

 

"Namjoon-ah, distract me."

 

He had stayed up for a little over an hour, listening to Namjoon talk about how much fun he had with Yoongi in the studio before the events of the day finally caught up to him and he fell asleep. The next morning, he had woken upto Hoseok sitting on stomach and bouncing happily and Jin had tackled him by tickling his sides till he fell over. He'd helped the boy brush and shower, making his breakfast as well as feeding him-and Hobi had kissed his cheek and smiled as bright as the sun after every single thing. He'd done his best to forget and help the younger forget their loss and as odd as it may sound, two-year old Hobi and 27-year old Jin had been helping each other move on. When he looked at his phone, there were pictures from his husband; of Namjoon in the studio, with Yoongi in his lap-big headphones covering his ears, hands raised up in v signs, his signature gummy smile on his face, one of the two of them eating pizza (which Jin had frowned on-thinking about the fact that that's what they had had for dinner) and constant messages from Namjoon-one of them notifying that he'd be there the next day.

 

Seokjin knew he'd make it out of this too. Because this time, he had his sons with him.

 

The funeral happened on 23rd of July.They took their boys to give flowers to his noona and her husband every year after that. They called it 'flower day'.

 

Once Hobi started living with them, he eventually started calling him Eomma too.