The One Where They Meet Hobi part 1

Jin's Boys.

Namjoon dragged himself out of bed to go downstairs for breakfast. His eyes were barely open when an exceptionally loud crash and bang forced them open.

 

“Sorry Eomma!" Another bang, yelp, “Sorry eomma!"

 

“Kim Taehyung. Sit down on the couch and don't move! Don't move till I clean up, okay? Jimin just make sure he doesn't move."

 

“Poopoo!"

 

“Eomma teacher Min wants me to water a plant everyday! Eomma why can't I feed the plants too? Do plants only want water? Why don't they eat? Eomma~"

 

“Hobi plants have different food."

 

“Poopoo!"

 

“Eomma Tae's running away."

 

“Am not!"

 

“Are too!"

 

“POOPOO!"

 

Namjoon stumbled down the last few steps almost tripping on the last one, muttering a quiet sorry that he was sure nobody heard. He could see that Jin was busy with the kids. He was about to go help him when he saw Jungkook reaching out for a glass bowl from where he was sitting on his baby chair on the dinner table. He rushed forward and picked him up in his arms, breathing a sigh of relief. He really didn't know what Kookie' s deal with all shiny things was, Yoongi never did that. But Hobi was another story, that boy wanted to touch everything!

 

Jungkook happily pulled at Namjoon's hair.“Boo!" Before Namjoon could respond, Seokjin was rushing forward and taking Kookie in his arms. He cooed loudly, “Yes oh my, yes Kookie Appa's hair is blue! That's blue! Look Namjoon he can already tell apart colours!"

 

Namjoon didn't bother to point out that it was probably one of Kookie's new words but he happily nodded and pecked both of them on their cheeks, making his way over to the couch where it looked like Jimin and Yoongi were holding Taehyung back.

 

He sat between them, grabbing Tae and setting him down on his lap. He tickled till Taehyung was no longer whining in protest but instead laughing loudly. “What did you do this time?"

 

“Crashed into the table, dropped the vase, knocked over the whole table when he was trying to say sorry." Came Jin's voice from the kitchen table. Tae simply grinned his boxy grin. Namjoon nuzzled into his hair and it made the boy giggle.

 

“Kids just fold your legs, okay? Don't step on anything, it'll hurt."

 

Namjoon mentally cooed as all three of them instantly followed what he said. Jimin scooted over so he was sitting next to Namjoon, leaning on his arm as he played with his action figures. The twins had a thing for superheroes, they had figured when they went shopping for them. Yoongi was sitting on his other side, quietly watching Tae with a small smile. Within a minute Hoseok was running over to them before Seokjin scooped him up, “Wait up Hobi, let me clean."

 

“Eomma but I wanna go to Appa! Why don't plants eat?"

 

“Plants eat...soil." Seokjin scrunched his eyebrows cutely as he thought of the answer while he cleaned up the mess and straightened the table with one arm as he held up Hobi in another, Jungkook on his sippy cup seriously as he sat in his chair.

 

“But Eomma! I thought so too! But the soil stays where it is! Its the same! Its not less! Wait, does this mean plants poop too?"

 

“Yes Hobi, they poop."

 

“Ew. So they eat and poop soil? Ew ew."

 

“Its not like that Hobi."

 

“Then?"

 

Seokjin sighed as Namjoon chuckled at his discomfort, before playfully glaring at him, “Why don't you ask Appa?" He then set him down to go the kitchen again, and Hoseok ran over to Namjoon, holding on to his knees as he jumped up and down. “Appa Appa Appa, why don't plants eat?"

 

“Plants do eat Hobi, they eat the sunlight. And stuff from the soil. And they poop air."

 

“Ooh. Wait so we breathe plant poop?"

 

“....maybe."

 

“ewwwwww" and just like that Hoseok was gone again, running over to the kitchen. A minute later, Seokjin was back, hands resting on his hips, “Kim Namjoon what did you say to him? Now he doesn't wanna breathe."

 

****************

 

They were at the dining table, trying to eat Jin's perfect chocolate pancakes while the kids filled the silence with their nonsensical banter. Yoongi pulled at his shirt midway, causing Namjoon to look at him with his mouth full of deliciousness. 

 

“Appa its flower day tomorrow."

 

Namjoon gulped, glancing over at the calendar and then back at Jin, who looked oblivious because of course he hadn't heard Yoongi over the noise of Jimin and Tae's banging cutlery( they were having a sword fight with forks, of course.)

 

Namjoon's mind wandered off to the events of the same day, three years ago as he glanced at his five-year old son Hobi, with a look of concentration on his face as he ate his food. The day they officially met Kim Hoseok. Or, Jung Hoseok, which was what his name was before he was a part of their dysfunctional life.

 

That had been a pretty boring, normal day; Namjoon working in his studio while Yoongi, who had been 3 years old back then was at work with Seokjin. There were some nice nurses willing to take care of him while Jin worked. Namjoon stretched his arms and let out a tired sigh before getting his fingers back on his keyboard, what do I do with this track?

 

He'd been stuck on one of the tracks pretty bad. It just wasn't....right. Namjoon wracked his brains, thinking of ways to correct the song when he felt an urgent tap on his shoulders. Startled, he looked up while his hands automatically reached up to take off his headphones, and his eyes met the sight of his husband with his son in his arms. Namjoon placed the headphones on his desk, “Jin?"

 

His husband looked worried, if the scrunch in his eyebrows was anything to go by and Yoongi looked like he had been sleeping. “Joon-ah. I'm sorry I just came in like that. My mom called." Namjoon stood up as he spoke, straightened his jacket and then reached out for Yoongi. His son was quickly settled in his arms, head resting on his shoulder. Just the mention of Seokjin'a parents was enough to get him worried; they hadn't taken their relationship so well. That was, of course until Yoongi joined their family, and then Mrs. Kim couldn't bare to stay away from her grandchild. Nevertheless, they still didn't stay in contact as much as they should have, Mr. Kim still strictly against it.

 

“Its noona. I think something's happened. Mom wants me to visit as soon as I can. She was saying something about a hospital and oh god I don't know. I guess I should go."

 

Namjoon nodded understandingly. While Seokjin's parents were estranged, his elder sister had been a different story altogether. She had congratulated them with genuine happiness and her entire family had always stayed in touch through calls and video chats; they would've liked to visit but they couldnt because Mr. Kim had prevented her from doing so. Seokjin was always upset about it, especially after the birth of his nephew, 'Hobi', two years ago. 

 

“I-I um I have to pack then. Um, I think noona's sick? I'm not sure. I t-think mom wants me there and uhh I should pack. Wait, but, what about you? And Y-yoongi? I-"

 

“Shhh Jin Hyung its okay. I got this. Don't worry about us, I'll take care of everything here. Do you need help packing?" 

 

Jin was shaking his head before Namjoon could complete his offer to help, “I'll do it. Um, I'll tell you where everything is, and Yoongi's stuff- ohmygod Joon food. What will you eat-uh"

 

“Jin Hyung, Hyung relax. Calm down. I'll manage everything. You don't worry, okay? I can book your tickets?" Seokjin nodded, pressing his lips into a thin line; a nervous habit. Namjoon smiled at his husband and pecked him lightly on his lip, “Don't worry." 

 

Seokjin smiled a little and then raised his hand to caress Yoongi's hair, smoothening out the strands poking out. Yoongi turned his head at the gesture, “Eomma?"

 

“Be good Yoongi, okay? Eomma will be gone for a little while. But I'll be back soon. I promise."

 

Yoongi'a brows scrunched, “Eomma going?" Namjoon's heart did a little back flip thing. He was familiar with every abnormality in Yoongi's voice and right now, the uncertainty hinted at a possible crying session. Yoongi had somehow found out that he was adopted, and as much as they tried, he still thought his parents had left him alone. Abandoned him. Just the idea of any of them leaving had Yoongi in tears. Namjoon kissed him on his cheek quickly.

 

“No no Yoongi. Eomma will come back soon. Eomma's eomma misses him. So he needs to meet her."

 

“I wanna go too."

 

“No Yoongi, who will take care of Appa? Appa will be lonely." Seokjin chimed in.

 

“Take Appa too?" 

 

“We can't Yoongi. Its okay, eomma can talk on the phone. Eomma will come back soooooon." And Seokjin kissed him on the forehead, and that was settled. 

 

“Come on then." Namjoon grabbed Jin's hand.

 

They went home in silence, Jin driving while Namjoon held a sleeping Yoongi in his arms protectively. There was an unsettling silence around them but Namjoon was too afraid to break it, knowing that it was a sensitive subject for his husband. Kim Seokjin had grown up with such warmth and love; he had had everything he asked for and things that he didn't as well. Yet, he was still humble and grateful for everything. Jin had grown up to be an amazing human being who was always ready to share. Jin was accepting and kind and always understanding, someone you can rely on. He had a lot of regard for his parents and he was happy. Or at least, that's what he thought.

 

But Kim Namjoon came by and ruined everything.

 

Not really, it was just that the perfect son of the Kims had fallen in love with another boy. A boy who had great grades, but insisted on pursuing music as his career. A boy whose smile reminded him of home more than his own family did. A boy who showed him a different way of looking at life. A boy who reassured him whenever he was insecure just by the single touch of his hand. A boy who confessed that he liked him and without even thinking about it, Seokjin was happily wrapping his arms around him. It was now that he really realized what true happiness was. But everything went to hell when he told his parents.

 

They screamed at him, called him disgusting. For the first time in his life of 23 years, his father slapped him. His mother remained silent and unforgiving. His sister silently supported him but didn't have the courage to say anything. Seokjin left. 

 

Years passed without any kind of communication between them. Seokjin was separately invited the day after his sister's wedding to avoid running into his parents. Years passed and all his parents hopes of Seokjin and Namjoon breaking apart remained fruitless. At the age of 26, Seokjin got married. His parents didn't come to the wedding. 

 

It was finally a year later when Seokjin's mom called him. She'd heard from Sohyun noona that Jin had adopted a baby boy, and his mother just couldn't stay away anymore. She only partially forgave him, so that she could be with her grandchild. His father remained indifferent. Yet she still didn't accept him completely, tried to haul him off to church and convince him that he should leave Namjoon and get married with a girl to take care of his son. Seokjin was furious, but he still allowed her to talk to Yoongi on the phone and video chat so she could see how he was growing up, and even though he sat beside Yoongi and listened to the whole conversation with a pained look on his face, he never said anything.

 

Seokjin pulled into the parking lot with a 'we're here' that finally pulled Namjoon out of his little flashback. They carefully carried Yoongi back to his bed and tucked him in for the night-it was already quite late. Namjoon looked through flight tickets as Jin packed his clothes and toiletries. Namjoon booked a ticket for the morning flight the next day.

 

"I don't even know how long I'm staying for Joonie. What do I take?"

 

"Just take comfortable clothes hyung. Couple of jeans-a couple of more t-shirts. Sweaters?"

 

"Yes, yes you're right-its cold out there-I should-hmm"

 

Namjoon walked over sit on the edge of the bed, watching Jin panic silently. The elder suddenly stopped and pulled at his hair, mouth twitching just like it did right before he cried, "What if something happened to her Namjoon?"

 

Namjoon rose and slowly wrapped his arms around him, and Jin dropped the pair of skinny jeans he was holding to hold onto his waist. He pulled him close and Jin buried his face in his chest, "It'll be alright hyung. Noona's fine."

 

"She never t-talks to me. Mom. And s-suddenly she wants me to come over? I don't like this Joon I-"

 

"I can come with you."

 

"No, no Namjoon you know you can't,"

 

"But you need me-i want to be there for you."

 

"I'll call okay? Of course I'll call. B-but you can't come, I don't know how father would take that-" a shudder ran through his body and Namjoon hurried to rub his back in a soothing manner, "It'll be okay don't worry. Here- I'll help you." 

 

They packed and finally went to bed, Namjoon holding his hyung close.

 

Soekjin was gone the next day, and that is when the gravity of the situation hit him completely. He was alone to take care of a three-year old. It'll be alright, he told himself and hurried to the kitchen, pulling out the box of cereals for Yoongi's breakfast.

 

"Appa?" Yoongi rubbed his eyes and Namjoon quickly held him up. Brush-Jin had said. You've got help Yoongi brush.

 

"Let's brush Yoongi." As it turned out, the three year old was well aware of how to do it himself so Namjoon didn't have much to do except help him apply the toothpaste and watch him do it. When they came back, the cereals were soggy as Namjoon had stupidly poured in the milk while trying to be early. Yoongi refused to eat it. So Namjoon got him another bowl and ate soggy cereals for breakfast. He dressed Yoongi up in whatever the younger liked-so Yoongi ended up wearing bright red pants and a bright yellow shirt. Ooh. And a bright green cap. He would have to talk about Yoongi's choice of clothes with Seokjin.

 

Studio was another story. Namjoon was already worrying about the lack of attention Yoongi was going to get at the place because Namjoon got like that when he worked on his music. But surprisingly, their experience turned out t be rather good. Yoongi looked at everything with excitement and wonder and unlike other kids his age, he didn't even try to press any shiny cool buttons. Namjoon pulled him on his lap and showed him how things work- Yoongi probably didn't get anything but nevertheless he listened intently. And anyway Namjoon didn't want to go back to the track he was stuck on. Later that day, he played it for Yoongi- putting on his headphones for the boy's tiny ears and much to his delight, Yoongi loved listening to it. He then asked Yoongi what he should do.

 

"Press that one." Yoongi said and Namjoon did- the beat turned out to be hilariously odd. Both of them laughed because Yoongi thought it sounded like the moo of a cow.

 

"That one." He said and Namjoon did, and just like that they spent the entire day testing out every button Yoongi liked. At the end, one of those buttons turned out to be the key to the success of his fifth album.