You're the Only One My Restless Mind Can Trust

мσяє тнαи єνєя

Just looking at you and smiling a few times a day,

I've told you hundreds of times, "you're the love of my life".
And I've told you, in this corrupt world,
You're the only one my restless mind can trust.

 

-Only Look At Me, Taeyang

 

:::::


Amber

 

:::::

 

Days passed, and Amber and Key had started to become better friends. They weren’t tight, and they still had their scuffles, but after the “sandwich” incident, they had started to understand each other a little better. Amber laughed as she thought of the exchange of food-if all it took was a sandwich to win over the King of Pop, she should have tried it earlier. He wasn’t all that bad, really-maybe he was a bit temperamental and spoiled, but Amber knew that inside, he was a deep and sentimental person. She’d just have to get to know him more to find that side of him.

 

Walking down the hallway, she noticed that the waiting room was empty.

 

The mysterious boy wasn’t there.

 

She felt a little upset-why was her heart slightly disappointed? She’d never felt like this before, and was a little scared of this feeling. What was she supposed to do? Trying her hardest to push away the strange emotions, Amber breathed in and out deeply. Feeling a little better already, she looked around the room, and noticed a strange little lump beside a chair.

 

She went over and grabbed that lump.

 

Running her hands over the hardened, torn fabric, she noticed that the owner must have really loved the bag. It was old and worn, but it seemed like it was carrying a generous amount of items. Amber decided not to look through them, wanting to respect the owner’s privacy. Looking closer, she noticed that a name was written on the side of the bag. Peering closer, she read the syllables out loud.

 

“Lee-Dong-Hae?”

 

Donghae? Was here?

 

That boy that had met her in the hallway-was Donghae?

 

:::::

Key

:::::

 

When Amber came back from her washroom break, she seemed even more disturbed than what she was like a couple days ago. Key noticed that she kept fiddling with her pencil, pacing around the room, and holding onto this ugly looking bag. He knew that her fashion taste was more like a boy’s, but to own something like that was just horrendous. Who knew where that torn rag had been? It looked disgusting and old, and Key even felt like walking out to a store a buying a new bag for her.

 

“You okay?”

She just nodded when he asked, and he felt slightly irritated. Was that the only response he could get out of her?

Deciding to get back to work, Key started playing the guitar, to Amber’s song. It was quite emotional-he felt like she was talking about missing someone. He wondered who that important person could be-who could make Amber write these haunting lyrics? It wasn’t like she was super popular, but the way she described the person in the song made it feel like she was in love with some kind of Greek god. 

 

What did she think of him?

 

Lately, the question had been bothering him, and Key didn’t know why. They’d only met about a week ago, yet he couldn’t help but feel rather attracted to her. It was as if he’d stopped seeing her as a guy and noticed little things-like the curve of her body and her long eyelashes, the way her lips were so red, and how….pretty she was.

 

Stop.

 

Key shook his head and closed his eyes, trying to calm himself down by taking a breather. However, when he opened his eyes, it was dark. Key blinked a couple of times. Were his eyes still closed? Was he asleep? He was about to pinch himself, when he heard a small squeak from the end of the room.

 

“Amber?”

“Key?”

He heard a nervous laugh.

“Amber-are you okay?”

“Key-I’m-I’m scared.”

 

“You’re scared of the dark?”

 

Key laughed, but quickly quieted down once he heard her snap at him. “, Key! We’re in a blackout and I’m freakin’ scared. Shut up!” He was surprised-he’d never heard Amber use that tone of voice, much less snap.

 

“Hey, I’m sorry, okay? Come here.”

 

Key’s voice was now soft, and he tried his best to coax her over to him.

“I-I can’t. Key-I’m really scared. I can’t move. ”

Her voice was beginning to waver, and Key got up from the couch, following her voice. He walked a couple of steps, crashing into a music stand. Rubbing his knee, he suddenly felt a hand grab at his jeans tightly, and his heart leaped out of his chest. “Are you crouching? We’re just in a blackout, it’s going to be okay. Nothing’s going to hurt us.” He heard a sniffle as a reply, and his heart suddenly felt worried. The hand on his jeans clenched tighter. Running his hands through his hair, Key gently shook it off by kicking his leg.

 

“Key, please-“ Amber’s voice was begging, near tears now.

 

Ignoring it, he bent down, grabbed Amber from the ground, and held her tightly to him.