Love is

Perfect

 


 

In Eunji's eyes being cheerful was a way to make people happy, she loved her own smile because it would always bring up a smile upon somebody's face, her silly jokes and acts were everything to bring laughter. She knew that it was her charm, everyone would always say the same. Even he did. In their first date, it started awkward. She couldn't bring up that side of her for some reason, and there was when she knew he was the one she needed. 

 

"So... do you like bread?"

She was taken aback. What kind of question was that? 

"Uhm, yes, I do..."

And the awkward silence came back.

"How about pasta? Do you like pasta?"

Now it was completely weird for her so she just nodded.

"Do you come around here often?"

"What is this?" She asked this time laughing. "We both live here!"

"I know. But you look so tense. Just be you, we don't really know each other but I know you're not this quiet."

And Eunji felt bad for a second. He was right.

"I always thought it was impressive how you can make anyone smile. I want you to make me smile too."

Those words were everything he needed to do to make her heart flutter.

 

After that moment she was always so bright and cheerful about everything. He told her many times how much he loved that side of her, specially because it could make a bad day for him the best ever in a second. Many times he said to her how much he loved that she could change his mood so easily, that was the reason he knew he fell in love with her. Because there was no one else who had this effect on him. He was a leader, he was the one in charge of controlling everything, but it was different if she was around. Even the bossy him dissapeared in her presence.

But that only lasted for some months. Because not everything is bright and pink. Just like how she could make everything nice, the moment when she could turn the tables and make him upset came too. Again, she was the only one who had the power to control his emotions so easily and many times he stated how much he disliked that. She shouldn't have that power over him, specially because they were idols and their lives were too public. 'Stupid things', like he called it once, shouldn't have such a big effect on him. Because only he knew that Eunji's smile wasn't only that cheerful one that her fans saw. She was an actress after all, and hell there were so many emotions she could transmit. And every single one of them, affected him. Then Eunji knew that having this 'power' over him wasn't going to be all good and nice.

 

The reason you started to love me

It's now the reason that you left me

I was right all the time

You would change

 

But even with this problems, Sunggyu reassured after every discussion that it was normal. All couples fight, and they weren't the exception, but that was fine. They knew about their past, they talked about their future, and she thought that this could really be it. Never they had talked about their future with their other partners and that made her happy. They told each other everything. Every night before sleeping they would text or call each other to talk about their day. During their dates they would talk about their past, they knew so much more about each other than their own members. That brought some jealousy too between their members, but seeing how happy they were, there was nothing their friends would say. 

Fears, hopes, dreams, there was no topic that they didn't share about. It was the first time for her to feel so complete. Someone that understood her and overall had many things in common. He was the person that she had been waiting to have a real relationship. That was how she saw it. But also she was the one who since the beginning told him to always be aware of something.

 

"There's no such thing as a '... happy ever after'."

 

He tried to explain many times that those words could be interpreted in many different ways, but never she agreed. That was the only thing that he was never able to change in her mind. She was always flexible with her opinions but that was something that he wasn't able to make her even stutter. And now it made sense to her. Now he probably agreed with her. And she knew that never has she been so right about something. God knows how bad Eunji wished she was wrong.

 

Why did you make me trust you?

Why did you let me open my heart fully?

I was right all the time

There's no such thing like eternity

 

"Eunji-yah~ are you listening to me?"

 

It took her a few minutes to realize where she was, what was she doing and who she was with. Her own thought drown her into a deep silence in the middle of the song before she could reach the chorus. It was late at night. After having some coffee and a nice conversation with Yoseob he told her to let her feelings go through music. It was healing. And indeed it was, but every now and then she would space out in the middle of her song. Still not able to sing it from beginning to end.

 

"Sorry, oppa. Let's do it once more."

 

Love is a thing 

Which in the end you do alone

Just like a  farewell

If I love again

I won't forget then

I shouldn’t love someone else too much

 

 He saw a few tears streaming down her face and automatically stopped the music. It took him a second to enter the cabinet and embrace that tiny body in a hug. After all the time they spent together since her break up, it was the first time he saw her cry. She kept on saying that she didn't need to cry. She knew all of this was coming and it didn't hurt. But Yoseob could see through her lies. He held her tight as she finally burst out in tears. Her body was trembling and he felt weak to this new image he had of Eunji.

 

"JiJi..." speachless, he didn't know what to say.

Yoseob kissed the top of her head and caressed her back softly.

"Let it out. Everything that is poisoning your heart."

 

And he thought that was a mistake the moment she started hitting him. Gladly he did boxing because this girl was strong. She pushed him aside and started throwing punch after punch still crying. Groaning and screaming, he was happy that they were in this room so no one could hear them, so she could let go all this bad feelings she kept hiding from everyone. It took around 5 minutes for her to stop hitting him. Only sobs were left and they were both sitting on the ground with her head resting on his shoulder.

 

"I'm sorry. You are not the one I should be showing my anger to."

"It's fine, better be me, no?"

"I always do this. I should have known."

"Ji..."

"What am I even saying? I knew it and yet I fooled myself."

 

And once again, all the memories and stories came back to her mind. No more crying or sobbing, but her heart still hurt extremely bad. She was wondering if it was really possible to get over this.

 

I mistook that this might be different

I was in the sweet illusion

Everything is my fault

I was the one who was a fool

 

 Some minutes later when they were already calmed and in a pleasant silence, she stood up all out of sudden with a huge smile. Eunji stretched her hand to Yoseob and signaled him to get out of the room.

 

"Let's do it again."

"Are you sure? We can just leave."

"I need to finish this song. Then we can leave."

"Alright, I'll take you for ice cream after this."

"Promise!"

 

And that was all. The song started once more. Her voice enchanted the guy who was listening to this beautiful girl. Although her words were sad and her tone showed pain, the melody gave him goosebumps. She was with her eyes closed, feeling for the first time every word that came out from her lips. The lyrics and her singing were connected and there was no more beautiful view than this for these guys. Because yes, by this time, Sunggyu had already arrived at the studio and was watching her from outside. Her words were penetrating in both guys but it caused different responses. One side felt guilt, it hurt. The other felt peace, it was sadly beautiful. Regarding her, a smile, a bitter one. 

 

*Love is a thing 

Which in the end you do alone

Just like a  farewell

If I love again

I won't forget then

I shouldn’t love someone else too much*

 

She could see a figure passing outside the room. Her eyes were open just in the right moment to see who was the person looking their 'recording practice'. Once again she closed her eyes, tight this time, paying attention to every single word of this verse. The same memories of their first day, the same pain was expressed in every word she sung. Again her heart felt like it was being stabbed multiple times with this part of the song.

 

*On the first day we talked about eternity

I was anxious, and I wasn't wrong

Perhaps I fooled myself

That our love would be different*

 

 When the song reached the end, both packed their stuff to go out for the ice cream they talked about. Somehow Eunji was feeling better. Indeed the song was a way to let go her feelings, to express her thoughts subtly, to feel in peace with herself. She understood the meaning of the song as if it was written for this very moment. Maybe her smile was more of a stupid but at the moment she didn't care, there were hopes inside her that were a good signal. That she could move on with her life without him. 


Eternity is a word

Which scatters away when you believe it

Just like love

 

 The moment they reached the parking lot her steps went straight to the well-known car of this guy. Once she entered and he buckled the seatbelt for her she crossed her arms staring at him until the very precise moment he sat and looked back at her.

 

"I can do it myself! I'm not a baby, huh?"

"You never know."

 

And in the middle of his laughs Yoseob the engine.

 

"Where do you wanna have the ice cream?"

"The place we always go. There won't be a lot of people since it's getting colder these days."

 

He just nodded and after putting the address in the gps, Yoseob started to drive out of the parking lot. Next to him, Eunji was showing a huge smile, ice cream with this cold weather was the best for her. Her sight shifted to the side mirror to fix her hair but what she saw froze her. She thought that the figure she saw before was just an illusion. It definitely was not. And something inside her flinched. They were close to the exit when she realized of his presence there.

 

The moment their gaze met through the mirror.

Her smile vanished.

Just at the same moment.

The car left the building.

 

If I love you again

I might be the same like this

I think I’ll love you too much

I think I’ll overdo again

 

 

 


 

 

 

**The asterisks are placed when she was singing that same verse.