Date 3

12 Dates to Find 1 [On Hiatus]

 

 

"He glanced over here. "

"You sure?"

"Yes I am. He totally saw us. He even lingered a little. "

"I'll check it myself. "

While Sehun leaned back in his chair to take a glance, from the corner of her eyes Hyewon peeked at a certain table not that far from them. But just as long as she was unseen. At least, not that much noticed. Because their purpose was –

"Hyewon? "

Hearing her name, she paused in action and welcomed her friend with a smile.

"Hi, Chae. What is up? "

"Just came from Comparative Ed. I barely feel my brain but besides the point right now." She glanced pointedly at the guy next to them. Sehun put his bag aside with a snort so she can sit down. "Thanks lots… So, what are you two doing? "

"We're having a date which you’re about crash. "

"Oh Sehun, please. For one you’re an awful liar and secondly, you’re ogling the Kaistal couple over there. This is so not a date. "

…so they weren’t so subtle after all.

Hyewon straightened her back and sighed.

"You're a party pooper."

"I don’t know. In my opinion you’re the one who pooped the party in the first place."

Chaeyeon's remarks get saltier and saltier. Not a good sign.

Sehun had probably come to a similar conclusion because next moment he was standing up, looking for a way out.

"All this talk about poop makes me visit the restroom… Hyewon-a, should I bring you some coffee from the vending machine on the way back?"

"That’d be great, thanks. I’ll stay and watch."

As soon as they were in two, Chaeyeon switched from not-so-nice to frustrated, true to her real feelings.

"Kim Hyewon, you owe me an explanation."

"I owe you for certain things but an explanation I don’t remember."

It wasn’t the smartest move to sass back but Hyewon thought it’s time for Chaeyeon to learn 1) she can’t control everything and 2) certainly not Hyewon's love life.

But at least she got the message.

"Okay, I'll drop the reprimanding tone, sorry… Just please, listen to me and stop glancing at your ex-something!"

Hyewon did so half-heartedly.

"Alright. You have three minutes until Sehun comes back. He probably only looked for an escape from you and is idling by the vending machine right now, you know."

Surprisingly Chaeyeon and Sehun has known each other but don’t like each other a bit. That fact felt somehow pleasing for Hyewon.

"I know. I chased him away on purpose so I can talk with you." The redhead said unashamed. "I have no idea what you’re doing these days but from what I’ve just witnessed I can see you’re working not for your love life but against it."

"Where do you get that from?"

"No guy takes her second date to the cafeteria."

"Jongin did."

"Kai is an idiot. Doesn’t count."

Hyewon tried again.

"Our kind of dates differ from the usual. So, what?"

"That I would believe if I didn’t know you’re a romantic at heart… and once again, I have seen you paying more attention to the lovebirds over there than to each other." Chaeyeon reasoned, quite logically and true to reality.

Hyewon had no chance but spill the beans. She has had enough with one more secret on her back too.

"Your relationship radar is right as always. Sehun and I aren’t dating- I can’t tell we are friends because none of us worded it out like that but I guess, eventually that’s where these meetings lead."

Chaeyeon took the news better than it was expected from her. She didn’t freak out, scream or kick, didn’t even get red in the head.

She just looked utterly confused.

"I see. And can you tell me why? From what you’ve told us it seemed like you hit it off quite well… , don’t say those cheesecakes over there have something to do with it. You haven’t realized Kai is your true love and now you want him back, have you?"

Hyewon groaned. No wonder she was avoiding Chaeyeon as much as it was possible with them being roommates and sharing an apartment. She could be damn frustrating with her false assumptions.

"I am not getting back together with Jongin because- You know what, you should go up to him and ask. I won’t explain one more time."

"I would do, believe me. But he runs away, even though it’s been more than a month since we’ve ganged upon him. What a chicken." Chaeyeon cleared and got back to the topic at hand. "Look, I only assumed because my mind went into panic mode. I can’t comprehend you got Sehun friendzoned. Did you do it on purpose or did he lost interest?"

Hyewon bit her lip thinking. Honestly it was a result of several facts combined.

"Um, sweetie, if it’s a sensitive topic then I stop…"

"Oh, it’s not that. I just contemplating whether I should tell you everything and appear as a fool or leave some details out and remain a hopeful case."

She hasn’t been down because of it but now Hyewon truly felt a little lost… and a lot more defeated. Chaeyeon's question made her realize what is happening around her or more like what she is doing – nothing.

"You’re none of that. You’re an independent woman fighting for her love. You shall receive an award or something, seriously." Chaeyeon comforted her enthusiastically. "You have no idea how many girls just sit there and wait for Princess Charming to appear with a Lamborghini. You’re great. You should be proud of yourself."

The boast her little-to-nonexistent- confidence needed was done. Hyewon took a deep breath and smiled.

"Thanks, Chae… You should be like this all the time."

"If I was, soon you would stop appreciate it." She grinned. "Now tell me, was Sehun a jerk or was Sehun a jerk? It’s not too late to ring up Saemi and get her land a punch."

At the mention of their roommate's name, Hyewon couldn’t help but become a little bitter.

"You don’t have to… Sehun will ring her up eventually."

"The . No."

Maybe it wasn’t the best way of telling the truth but at least Chaeyeon got it immediately and Hyewon didn’t have to get into too much detail. Those five minutes during she had to listen to Sehun practically singing odes about her roommate right after he said they should meet again, was humiliating enough. Hyewon ran for her life and took shots for a date. All Saemi had to do was swinging by casually. Life is sometimes unfair…

"That jerk. Once he dares to return to this table, I'll hapkido him."

"You don’t even know hapkido… or do you?"

Coming to think of it, lately Chaeyeon spent Thursday afternoons away from home. Whenever she left the house, she had her gym bag on her shoulder and when she came back, she was sweaty but somehow utterly satisfied-looking. Did she maybe…?

"I may have been attending some classes lately." Chaeyeon admitted leisurely before diverting their conversation back to the original topic. "No wonder something was off when you told us about your date. Saemi hasn’t noticed but Jungha and I exchanged a doubtful look when you were immersed in your story… Hmph. It’s been a while one of Saemi's admirers dared to reveal their identity."

"Yeah."

Although Ahn Saemi has always had a bunch of admirers around ever since she’s enrolled in the university, for some months they were quiet, giving ground to rumors saying that the secret group "Save Princess Ahn Saemi Movement" (S.P.A.S.M. for short, very apt) has disbanded. And everybody believed in it because for some time Saemi was dating the dean’s son so there was no point in hoping for a chance. Also after a group of four serenaded Room 365 three consecutive nights, Chaeyeon poured an entire plate of kimchi on their head, making it clear that one more attempt at gaining Saemi's favor and they’re dead meat. All in all, the group was kind not to exist anymore if they were at right mind… but no official statement has been made.

"Being a member of S.P.A.S.M. or not, this is unacceptable." Chaeyeon continued. "He asked for your number, damn it. That’s just cruel."

"It did hurt a bit… but after all, it's fine this way." Hyewon said timidly, fearing her friend’s reaction to what she’s about to say. "You know, it’s not like I was that attracted to Sehun. To his looks, probably 100%, but to his personality, not so much. Not as someone I could date at least. I’m happy I didn’t have to friendzone him because of that but because he has eyes for my friend."

That was the point. Maybe it’s too early to decide but Hyewon has thought her relationship with Sehun doesn’t have a future. Not as a couple at least. As friends? If they put in serious effort, maybe. But if that doesn’t work either, it won’t be such a loss. They’re just too different.

Chaeyeon pouted.

"You’re too nice. That’s your problem. You’re too nice and open-hearted and selfless and- Sehun clearly doesn’t deserve you… or Saemi."

Hyewon looked up at the comment.

"You think so? I kind of hoped Saemi would give him a chance. He’s into her, I think his feelings are genuine -"

"Kim Hyewon, you shall not play the matchmaker for someone who treated you like that."

"He didn’t do it that bad! I mean, he made it clear he prefers Saemi to me but he asked me nicely if I helped him after apologizing for how things turned out." Hyewon said.  "I believe him and support him. I just don’t know how I should get Saemi to consider him, after taking me out on a date…"

"That’s impossible. You know how serious Saemi is about our sisterhood. She would date you sooner than Sehun at this point." Chaeyeon shared her opinion while munching on some fries stolen from Sehun's plate… then she completely froze. "Don’t turn around but Kai is staring at you. Why is he doing that?"

Hyewon smirked.

"He’s getting a lesson."

Just then Sehun returned. After sitting back to his place, he gave the promised coffee out while hugging Hyewon's shoulders at the same time with his other hand. He was grinning as well, creepily so.

"He’s getting a lesson about friendship."

For a second Chaeyeon was trying to decode the alliance in front of her then shrugged and continued eating.

"Okay, this is way too complicated for me and my overheated brain. You do your thing, I do mine. I won’t meddle."

"Good… It’d be great if you stopped eating my fries too, thanks."

"Don’t blame me. You’ve left it here."

"Well, didn’t leave it here for you to eat."

"Should have said it then~"

Hyewon let the debate go on between the other two and glanced over her shoulder. However instead of catching Jongin's eyes as she has hoped, she was met with a questioning look from Soojung.

She whipped her head back at instant. Maybe it's better if she prevents Chaeyeon from spraying the ketchup she’s holding on Sehun's pristine turtleneck.

 

 

 

After another defeat, Hyewon forgot about the dating-bingo for a while.

Well, the date with Sehun wasn’t a complete defeat. After all, he did like her that way (for a while) and they did go for a second date (to discuss how to get Sehun a date with someone else) and more dates after that (for the same reason… also Sehun needed help with English so that they covered too) but all in all, Hyewon was still standing alone and without a proper date.

It disturbed her. Now more than ever. Not the fact she didn’t have a boyfriend – no, she was still more or less fine without one. The fact she couldn’t succeed was a problem however. It did weird things to her brain and confused her about things she usually either didn’t give a about or thought she has no reason to ponder over.

Sadly, pondering only led to frustration… and what’s even sadder, the frustration led to harm.

"I can’t believe you’ve broken a string."

Hyewon was walking next to Chanyeol with lowered head. Well, it’s not like she did it on purpose. Also, if that’s all he has to say, he might as well shut up.

"I called you to help me, not to make me feel even more miserable…"

"Sorry, but I’m way too horrified to turn a blind eye over it." The guy said before glancing at her from the corner of his eyes. "What did you do? Tried to play Santana or lent it to someone?"

Hyewon sighed. Both assumptions were way better than what happened.

"I tell you only if you promise me you won’t scold me too much."

"Okay."

"I tried tuning it."

The groan Chanyeol let out was so loud, a pedestrian passing them by snorted in amusement.

"I’ve told you to turn to me if you feel like the guitar needs tuning. You haven’t been playing long, Hyewon."

"I know. I just… I kept playing but it still sounded way off than usual. So eventually I got fed up with it and went straight for the kill. "

"Literally. "

"Yeah… I feel a ton of regret but the only thing I can do now is to take it to repair." She pouted. "How much will it cost?"

"The shop will cover that. Its right over there. Come on."

They walked down the street and into a cozy-looking shop with all kinds of instrument lying around. The owner wasn’t someone from their age group, maybe a decade older than them but nonetheless he was on friendly terms with Chanyeol because they shared a fist bump before getting into a conversation about the visit.

While the men were examining the instrument, Hyewon was standing on the side, sulking. She should have learnt instead of practicing the guitar. The most valuable thing she could have broken is a good-luck pen from her mother. Now she must pay the price, in every meaning of the expression…

"Next time consult with Chanyeol first, okay?" The shop owner told in her direction after he had replaced the broken string with a new one. It didn’t take more than a few minutes and fortunately the price was way cheaper than she has predicted it to be.

"Yes, sir. I will."

The man smiled.

"What a cute student you have, Yeol-a. You must teach her a lot."

"I obviously not. Otherwise we wouldn’t have visited you." He answered before looking at the girl. "Be careful from now on."

"I’ve been careful. "

"Uh-uh."

"I’ve been!" Hyewon insisted, trying very hard not to stomp with her feet in desperation. "I just… forgot to pay attention for a second."

"Hey, children, stop fighting. It’s a beginner’s mistake. Hyewon has learnt the lesson and you, Chanyeol, have rebuked her for it enough… if that what you’re doing is."

There was something ambiguous in the man’s way of wording but whatever he meant, it got Chanyeol to hurry suddenly.

"Cool. Guitar repaired, price paid, were going. Bye, hyung."

Hyewon could barely mutter a goodbye to the shop owner before she was dragged outside. If she didn’t catch up quickly, Chanyeol might have left her there.

"Ya, wait for me!"

Chanyeol abruptly paused, the running girl almost colliding with him. He looked back over his shoulder tensed.

"Sorry. Sungwoo hyung can be quite nosy sometimes… Don’t think too much about it."

"I won’t. Why would I? He didn’t say anything offending." Hyewon wondered then gasped. "Ah, you’re afraid he tells other about the lessons."

"Y-yeah. More or less." The tone Chanyeol was speaking in didn’t quite fit the sentence but before she could count that in, he continued. "You say he didn’t offend you yet I saw you being upset in the shop… Is it because of the guitar? Or did I upset you?"

The only one who’s responsible for it is myself, Hyewon thought bitterly. She couldn’t tell that though. Not when Chanyeol wasn’t supposed to know about the whole dating-bingo thing.

Even though, she had to say something. Chanyeol seemed to genuinely care about the reason.

"Lately I’m basically stressed. Probably that’s why my poor baby had to suffer…"

"I’m fine, don’t bother. "

"I’m talking about my guitar."

Chanyeol smirked.

"Continue."

Hyewon rolled her eyes good-naturedly.

"I just need some time to get over with it I guess... "

'It has nothing to do with you' was on the tip of her tongue but somehow the words just couldn’t get out. Maybe because Hyewon has thought Chanyeol is giving her a cold shoulder nowadays. Well, not right now. Now he’s nice, like he used to. But when she called him with the sad news of a broken guitar, he sounded like she’s being a nuisance. He even cancelled their lesson for the week stating 'school reasons.' It is very unlike him.

But she was unable to say that out loud too.

"Hyewon." Chanyeol called her name in a warm voice, even stopping by the building they were passing by. "It’s going to be okay. Just like you’ve said, these times will pass… And even if it feels like forever, you have someone to share your problems with at least."

She paused hearing that and looked up to him in wonder. Is Chanyeol referring to… himself? Just the assumption itself felt very nice.

Hyewon had to smile.

"Yes. It’s good to know I have people around me whom I can lean on."

"So last week…"

Huh?

She searched his eyes for an answer or at least continuation of the supposed-to-be-a-question but the look on Chanyeol's face was unreadable.

"So last week you couldn’t practice, right? Because you had… problems. And yesterday when you were trying to, you failed more than usually and got angry. That’s the reason why that string has broken, isn’t it?"

Hyewon was startled by this sudden U-turn back to their previous topic but she could nod at last.

"Y-you can say that happened. I did try tuning it though. I blamed my instrument because of my incapability… I heard it false and it was false. But it was only wrong because I couldn’t play it well. So, you don’t have to tune it again next time. If that’s what you’re getting at."

Honestly she didn’t think that was it. Chanyeol looked way out of it during her rant. But then why did he ask?

Whatever his reason was, he put it aside again.

"We'll see next week. Thanks for telling me the truth… Um, I have a lecture at six. Would it be okay if I didn’t walk you back to the dorm?"

"No- I mean fine, I find my way back." She corrected quickly. "I’ll catch a bus."

They walked together until the next crosswalk. Hyewon waved goodbye after the light had switched to green and she crossed the road. She didn’t look back to see if Chanyeol did the same or not.

It wasn’t just the string on the guitar which has broken. As sentimental as it sounds, Hyewon has thought something has broken between Chanyeol and her as well. If only she knew what it is…

 

 

 

The next number in the bingo came just as out of the blue as she had stopped.

Hyewon had sent '21' without a single care in the world, in the middle of doing her assignment, near midnight. She needed a break and the bingo happened to be right under her Linguistics I-II textbooks. Coincidence? She called it fate.

Given the time, Chaeyeon took her time with answering. Hyewon was almost ahead with a page when she got a message.

 

I Am ZICO, ZICO is me: niiiice

Hyewon: New username?

I Am ZICO, ZICO is me: got bored with waiting for another BIGBANG comeback

Ha Jungha: Let people sleep, please.

I Am ZICO, ZICO is me: you can always mute

- Ha Jungha has left the conversation -

I Am ZICO, ZICO is me: …or just leave. nvm.

Hyewon: OTL

I Am ZICO, ZICO is me: hey its fine. she’s gonna come back

I Am ZICO, ZICO is me: your date is waiting for you in front of the museum on 21st march 7pm. no special preparation needed.

Hyewon: I hoped so after last time…

 

Park Chaeyeon has fortunately survived after the paintball-date but only because she was compensating like crazy.

 

I Am ZICO, ZICO is me: ha-ha. i've bought you cheesecake so don’t even mention. we're even.

Hyewon: When you say Museum, you mean ours?

 

Well, not exactly theirs but there indeed was a museum under their university’s name. Its rather nice, Hyewon has visited once or twice already.

 

I Am ZICO, ZICO is me: yep. have fun & break free!

 

Hyewon returned to her assignment, feeling a lot more excited. A date at the museum sounded nice. Let’s hope the date waiting for her there is like that just as much.

 

 

 

As it was arranged, March 21st found Kim Hyewon in front of the Seoul National University Museum of Arts, straight seven in the evening. She had a lecture twenty minutes ago but she managed to quickly freshen herself up and arrive on time. The same couldn’t be told about her date.

Hyewon walked around, grasping onto the strap of her bag nervously. He must show up, right? He agreed. He had chosen the time and the place. And even if something came up, he would have told Chaeyeon by now, no?

The students strolling in the area eyed her for a second, some stared longer. They were probably wondering if she had been set up or she’s demonstrating for student rights. Hyewon decided she says the latter if someone asks.

Twenty minutes after seven, a guy marched towards the museum directly. He was alone and looked rather determined so Hyewon figured he must be him. She straightened her back and flattening her unruly hair, took a deep breath. He better has a reason why –

"Won-a~"

The guy was calling her name rather familiarly… no wonder. As soon as Hyewon could make out his face, she gasped in surprise.

"Jongdae."

He arrived in front of her with a chuckle. He wasn’t as small as before but didn’t grow to be a skyscraper either – Hyewon was still the taller out of the two of them. His hairdo has changed, fortunately, instead of reckless curls Jongdae had his hair parted nicely, with a few locks falling over his eyes thanks to the breeze. His eyes shone the same bright, his mouth curling into a delightful smile and like a tidal wave, memories hit Hyewon hard.

"Oh my God. How? Why… why like this? You could have just called me directly." She muttered.

"I thought it’d be better if I surprised you." He said, smile plastered on his face. "Aren’t you happy you see me?"

"I am… Damn it, come here for a hug."

Jongdae happily obliged. They didn’t let go of each other for good ten seconds, Hyewon savoring the embrace. God, it has been quite a time. Yet it still feels nice.

"You’ve just surpassed my expectations." He murmured. "What the heck, Won. Some apocalypse is in the making? You weren’t supposed to jump into my arms."

She let go instantly, cheeks flaming.

"Don’t go ahead of yourself. I’m just a little emotional. It’s been so long, Dae… What are you doing here? Were you missing me so much you came all the way to Seoul?"

"I am generous but not that much. I’m attending school here."

Wait what? As far as Hyewon's knowledge goes, Jongdae is attending CNU* in Anseong. (CNU – Chung-Ang National University)

"Huh?"

He chuckled at the face the girl has made.

"I’ll explain you everything in a minute, just let’s go somewhere more comfortable. I owe you a date."

Instead of going inside the museum, they headed towards the street to fill their stomachs at a vendor.

Even though their rice cakes were already steaming in front of them, Hyewon couldn’t care about it. She was way too curious.

"You’re staring at me." Jongdae pointed out after a few bites.

"I’m waiting for your explanation."

"Why don’t you eat first? You’ve lost weight since I’ve seen you."

Hyewon grabbed her chopsticks and gulped down a big bite.

"Mission accomplished."

The guy snorted at her and took a napkin to wipe a stain in the corner of .

"You’re stubborn and a messy eater. Only your weight has changed I see."

"You could speak for yourself. You haven’t changed a bit either." She quipped back a bit offended. That’s all he remembers of her? Her boyish behavior?

"Why? I think I’ve gotten more handsome."

"Tsk."

Jongdae broke into a grin and leaned closer above their shared plate.

"You might deny it but I see it on your face. You’ve fallen for me in the past. How could you resist the improved version of my charm?"

Hyewon tried to look as menacing as she could but it was hard because there was a little truth in Jongdae's words. He was handsome and he is now. She has always found him so.

They dated after all.

It’s all been a blur from that time but now that she has met the subject of her love story again, Hyewon came clear with every little detail about her first crush, first date… and first kiss. It was all Jongdae. Kim Jongdae, the clown of their class. Up to no good but always full of charms. There was literally no one among her female classmates who hasn’t had a crush on him once. Hyewon not an exception.

"You were cuter before when you were more bashful, not boasting every chance you get." She said after a little pause.

"Ouch. And I was about to say you’re just as cute as I remember you." He paused then pretended to be startled. "Oops, said it anyway."

Hyewon almost dropped the rice cake she was about to pick up. What a shameless flirt.

"That’s why you came? To see me embarrassed?"

"Partially, yes. Your embarrassed face is priceless." Jongdae chuckled then started another topic, letting the other breath for a second. "I did transfer school though. Anseong was great but too far from home."

"Seoul is even further from Siheung. What are you talking about?"

"Okay, maybe Anseong wasn’t that great. I was hella bored and lonely… Everybody had chosen the capital after high school."

Hyewon acknowledged that with a nod. Those from their class who had decided to continue their studies, mostly got into higher educational institutes in Seoul.

"Vocal Performance here is cool. I know literally no one from that department but I’ve seen all the performances of College of Music. They’re amazing."

"You still like music a lot." Jongdae remarked. "I wonder why you didn’t go for that then."

"Maybe because my voice is bad?"

"You could have played an instrument."

"It was too late to start then." She responded, reaching into her bag for a bottle of mineral water. "And next to music I love languages the most. English is my forte… Seriously, what could I have done in music? Next to talents like you."

Hyewon didn’t say that as a compliment, more like as a fact. Jongdae has been a fantastic singer. Everyone around him knew.

"I know, right?" He took it as one though. "Too bad studying it isn’t only about singing…"

"You could have made it as a singer. Like a singer on TV… like an idol!" She continued in a dreamy voice. "You could have been so successful."

Jongdae snapped her fingers in front of the girls face to get her out of useless daydreaming.

"I won’t be one more clown in the circus of showbiz. Ever."

"You’re suitable to be one though… I mean, not a clown but a singer. Actually, you’re great at being both." She added later with a chuckle, causing the other to frown in dislike. "You’re funny and talented."

"You’re neither funny nor nice to me right now."

Hyewon blinked bashfully.

"I’ve been quite nice to you in the past. You should be able to handle some criticism."

She didn’t say it as a reference to anything… but off course Jongdae saw through her words and took them with the meaning most obvious.

"You were sure nice." He sighed dreamily. "You kissed my cheek every time I walked you home after school and when we were watching a movie, you were holding onto me like a koala."

Hyewon bit her lip. Oh God, how embarrassing. She did do things like that.

"T-there’s no point in bringing that up."

"You think there isn’t?"

"Yeah… You broke up with me after two weeks or so because of Bae Sooji."

It was a comeback good enough for Jongdae to stop reminiscing.

"That- It’s not like you were so reluctant."

"Come on, it's Bae Sooji were talking about. She’s like the prettiest girl existing ever." She stated nonchalantly. "I wasn’t blind. I knew I’ve lost you as soon as she came to our school. Especially since she liked you back."

As tough as it sounds, their break-up wasn’t half as bad as others made it out to be. All rumors were false. No, Hyewon didn’t slap Jongdae. No, Jongdae didn’t break-up with her in a text message. He had the decency to come out and pay her an ice cream first.

Hyewon felt bad for a couple of days… but her friendship with Jongdae didn’t suffer. They could be around each other without feeling too awkward to interact. After some time, they even started to hang out with common friends just like before.

Jongdae made a face at the mention of his hopeless crush.

"Yeah. We liked each other so much we lasted like a day."

"Oh right. She moved on quite fast."

If she remembers well, a few days later Sooji was walking around holding someone else’s arm. Well, she could do it. She was pretty and popular.

"To be honest, I regret dumping you."

Hyewon gulped down the water she drinking fast. She has felt panic arisen in her.

"I-it’s okay. I hated you a little but we remained friends… We can continue being friends."

"And if I don’t want to?"

That is not okay, she wanted to say because Jongdae was suddenly too close for her liking.

"You’ve become even prettier. I don’t think it’d be so bad to continue where we’ve left off."

"We haven’t left it off anywhere. We finished." She muttered. "Don’t speak nonsense, Dae."

Hearing the denial, Jongdae leaned back in his seat and picked up his chopsticks to eat some. He obviously wasn’t sulky – that much Hyewon has known him to remember he’s not the type to take things to heart so easily. Even so, a few minutes was needed for him to turn a page and continue conversing like nothing has happened.

"I assume life has been going well for you lately, hm?"

There was no malice in his voice which Hyewon felt thankful for.

"You can say that. I manage my studies. Have some nice roommates and friends-”

"Only your dating game is off. "

Straight to the point.

Jongdae looked up from their plate mischievously.

"Your silence is telling me you haven’t had a boyfriend since me."

"My silence is saying damn, you’re quite perceptive but you’re nonetheless right." Hyewon blurted startled. "It’s okay though. I mean, I’m a bit frustrated but I’m not that much in need of a boyfriend."

"There must be a reason why Chanyeol's little sister has called me though."

"You know Chanyeol?"

Hyewon was staring at the guy across her dumbfounded. It was expected Jongdae knows Chaeyeon, after all she had convinced him to go on a date but the fact he knows Chanyeol as well… is peculiar somehow. Or she is overthinking it?

Jongdae's eyes widened then he hastily nodded.

"From where?"

"One of my friends is roommates with him. I went over to their place a couple of times so we met." He explained before squinting. "Where do you know him?"

It was Hyewon's turn to act suspicious.

"He’s Chaeyeon's brother. Of course, I’ve met him once or twice."

Or a lot more.

"Hm. To me you sound like you know him more than that." Jongdae admitted, leaning closer confidentially. "It turns out Chaeyeon is worrying about nothing, eh?"

Hyewon looked puzzled for a few seconds then she shook her head.

"I have no idea what you’re talking about. And I think it’s better if we keep that way."

Jongdae chuckled and put down his chopsticks.

"Alright, if that’s what you want… Are you finished?"

"With the food or with you?"

"Stop hurting me~" The guy whined and for a second Hyewon saw the younger Jongdae, the one she used to like so much. But with his next words said illusion disappeared. "I want to take you somewhere so you can re-consider dating me. Can we go now?"

"Let’s go." Hyewon agreed half-heartedly.

She had bad ideas about the offer… but it was her date with 21, after all. She was ought to give him a chance to prove himself.

 

 

 

The place they were headed to turned out to be the well-known amusement park in the neighborhood… along with a haunted house Hyewon had no mind to set a foot in, no matter how hard Jongdae was pleading her.

"We should have gone to the museum instead. It’s not even Halloween..."

"And? Ghosts know no Halloween, they’re around all year."

"Says someone who doesn’t believe in them?"

Jongdae shrugged before throwing an arm around her shoulders and navigating the girl towards the entrance where a very crappy looking mummy was taking tickets.

"You said you’re frustrated. Some screaming will do good to your system… And if you happen to panic too much, there’s always me who you can lean on."

The sentence couldn’t help but remind Hyewon of Chanyeol's words from a few days before. They haven’t met since then. Guitar lessons were cancelled so it was okay… on a second thought, no. Hyewon almost stopped by the door at the sudden realization that no, it is not okay. They should meet. It’s their weekly thing. She'll text Chanyeol later.

"Have fun, mortals!" The mummy greeted them before closing the door.

Jongdae had to laugh at the lame acting.

"If this is their best, this is going to be so boring."

"I’ve heard stories of this place." Hyewon shared after seeing a rather real-looking mess of spider webs in a corner. Ew. "They say it’s quite scary."

"I hope so. I’m not easy to impress… On the other hand, you look frightened already."

Jongdae was right. Hyewon was already glancing around warily, carefully distancing herself from the walls and watching out for where she steps.

"If you were a good ex-boyfriend, you would remember I haven’t seen any horror movies because I’m way too affected by them."

"I may not be a good ex-boyfriend but I am a good boyfriend." He said grinning. "I do remember."

Hyewon had to roll her eyes at the suggestive in his voice.

"You’re such a calculating flirty mess- Ah!"

Just then a bloody corpse crawled over from under a fallen wardrobe, making her jump a little and collide with Jongdae.

"I might be calculating but you’re the one who moves the plan along." He chuckled and with that reached for her hand to hold." Stay next to me and scream to your hearts content."

She did so. Well, not the hand-holding – Hyewon let go of Jongdae hand at instant, embarrassed by the familiar feeling in her stomach. Stupid nostalgia, acting up when it should not. However, screaming, she truly did.

Whether it was a ghost, a scarecrow or a bunch of blind dolls falling on them after entering a shady room, she shrieked and tried to look for an escape. What’s even worse, Jongdae had literally given no about any attempt and followed her either cackling or with a small smile on his face.

"You’re overreacting."

"Those dolls looked real!"

"In my opinion, not so much. But for real, they are fake." He joked once they entered a hallway seemingly deserted. "It's fine you’re screaming but don’t believe them. They’re just a big joke I mean… God, look at that so-not-obvious hole in the wall over there. I wonder what will happen. It’s certainly not a hand trying to reach out and grab our ankles or something. No, so not possible."

He was speaking easily. He was a guy, not a girl with male cousins and their continuous will to prank her… but at the same time, he sounded convincing.

After the tenth stunt, Hyewon did scream but hold onto Jongdae with a laugh following. The wolf with red eyes trying to jumpscare them was fabricated beyond. Or maybe her nervous system had become overstimulated at this point… Either way, Hyewon wasn’t frightened the least bit.

"Damn. That was so lame."

"It was, wasn’t it?" Jongdae smiled, holding onto her waist subtly. "We're almost at the end too. This haunted house should up their stuff if they want to keep doing business here."

Hyewon nodded, still in a good mood. Probably there was something waiting for them at the end of the corridor but the cared. She really doesn’t. At once, she felt free of stress. Somehow refreshed. It was a good decision to come here after all. The problem stands still but now she has a clear mind to solve it.

With that cheerful attitude, Hyewon turned left on the corner… and screamed so loud, even Jongdae became taken aback for a second.

"Won, are you okay?"

The girl evened her breath and looked over to the opposite end of the hallway once more. Now it was empty. Weird, for a second she swore she saw Chanyeol standing there… It’s not like he’s scary for her at all but his sudden presence creeped her out. If he appeared at all and it wasn’t just her mind playing her.

"I’m fine now. It was the last stunt, wasn’t it?" She tried to play it cool.

"No, the last stunt was the one from earlier."

Hyewon broke into an awkward grin.

"Okay, I guess I’ve reached the maximum number of scary things I can handle at once. Let’s get out of here."

Jongdae turned to her with an amused smile on his face then he used their closeness to pull her in and trap her next to the wall.

"Jongdae."

"There’s one more thing which we should get over with it. It looks scary at first but it is not." He whispered, eyes sparkling. "For the old times."

Before Hyewon could ask about it once more or have a chance to break away from their sudden intimacy, Jongdae took it further. Without giving a proper warning, he pressed his lips against hers firmly.

Hyewon froze at the sudden move and only could sputter something like words out when the guy left her to do so by disconnecting their lips, lingering a breath away.

"I- Earlier I’ve said we are-"

"I know. But we'll do thinking later." He murmured and with that, there was he again, kissing her with intent of no stopping for a while.

She could have told him to stop and Jongdae would have understood. They’ve known each other long enough to be aware of that.

But that was the point.

Hyewon eventually closed her eyes and shyly pressed back.

She maybe wanted this a little.

For the old times.

 

 

 

 


 

I'm sorry for the bit more delay in updates than usual. I still couldn't take my laptop to repair [blame school and my constant need of somewhere I can learn uggh] so editing takes FOREVER to do and frankly, it's way too boring and time-consuming to do a lot in one sitting. I did this in one sitting. My hurts and it was exhausting OTL

The with complaining though because I've brought you a chapter which has a lot of action in it. First things first, say hi to Jongdae & his flirtiness~ True to be told, I doubt he's this shameless irl but at the same time look at him -

- he's such a little cute heartbreaker flirtiness is his 2nd nature I cannot TT

With his appearance Hyewon got some action too *eyebrow-wiggling* but then we also have Chanyeol who's acting weird and ofc Kai just can't get out of the picture, not to mention Sehun with his fanboying over Saemi... what do you think of this mess, Do you like it, Do you know what will happen next, If you're sure of yourself, place your bet in the comment section on how long Jongdae will be around Hyewon as not-someone-who-eventually-ends-up-in-the-friendzoned. The one who guesses well I'll do a poster or something. [Not even kidding. If you're right, I'll do it.]

That's it for now. If you like the story so far, don't forget to subscribe or write a comment. Don't forget, feedback is important. Feedback feeds the author. .w.

Thank you for those who has already followed & keep supporting-reading ever since! Have you seen this story has reached 300 views?! Ikr what the heck? Thank you y'all, seriously orz. [That's a thankful bow btw.]

Have a wonderful day!

sophie94