Date -1

12 Dates to Find 1 [On Hiatus]

 

The comfortable silence of the History section was broken by two girls running between the bookshelves.

The one chasing the other had a furious expression on her face. She was loudly panting and way too careless for someone in a miniskirt but kept going relentlessly, occasionally throwing an insult at the one in front of her. She's Park Chaeyeon, nineteen-year-old Education major at Seoul National University.

The girl being chased whipped her head back from time to time to measure the distance between them while effortlessly running like a madman. She's had an advantage thanks to her jeans and sporty club activities in high school. She's Kim Hyewon, nineteen-year-old Language and Literature major, at SNU as well. Usually the friend of Park Chaeyeon, right now the first person on her death list.

"Stop before I throw my shoe at you!"

Hyewon looked back to check if her friend had stopped to get rid of her ballerinas. Chaeyeon never joked with threats like that... Maybe she should stop? It's not like she's going to catch up to her unless she looses a leg. It's better to put an end to it before it could begin for real, doesn't it? ... But if she stops, she's going to die. Chaeyeon sure won't let her live if she learns what had happened.

"Promise me you'll let me live!" Hyewon shouted back after some time to think.

Chaeyeon narrowed her eyes.

"You won't get away this -"

At this point she miserably tripped on a book someone forgot on the floor and the whole chase ended once for all.

Hyewon paused and changed direction to help her wailing friend up.

"Ouch, my knee!" Chayeon cried while dusting off her very red and swollen looking limbs. As she noticed Hyewon arriving, she became furious again. "You!"

"Spare your words, your injury is first." Hyewon squatted down to be level with Chaeyeon and examine the bruise. "Let's go to the infirmary. Nurse Jang will get you an icepack."

"I don't need an icepack. I need an explanation of why Kai is in the canteen kissing a girl who is not you."

Here they go. Straight to the point. Very Park Chaeyeon.

Hyewon let out a sigh and picked up the book instead of answering. It had an ancient-looking cover but looked out of place compared to the section they were in. After all, "The Book of Love" is not exactly the title people see in the History section of a university library. She better gives it back to Mr. Smith at the counter before someone starts looking for it.

Chaeyeon gently kicked her shin with her healthy leg to get Hyewon's attention on her again.

"Don't tell me I'm freaking out for nothing. Did you break up? Is he two-timing? If that's the case, let's go to the canteen, I'll beat him up for you."

She wasn't in a situation to laugh but imagining Chaeyeon and her barely 160 centimeters trying to give a beating to Kai and his 180 centimeters plus dancer muscles made Hyewon a little grin show for a second.

"I'd like to see you try."

Chaeyeon blinked unfazed.

"I've taken self-defense, mind you. Haul me up, I know where to kick so his ancestors will feel it."

"I didn't mean it!" Hyewon rebuked her harshly before changing back to her usual calm tone. "Look, it's a long story. I'll tell you everything once your bruise is checked out. Okay?"

Chaeyeon mumbled something incoherent. Hyewon took it as an approval and putting her friend's arm around her shoulder, carefully lifted her up, supporting most of her weight.

"Can you stand?"

"I feel wobbly... and you deserve to aid me after trying to ignore me so no." Chaeyeon told before clinging on the other extra hard. "Please, help me, friend!"

Hyewon, used to her friend's antics, just dutifully helped her to the lift and out to the entrance. By the counter Mr. Smith was already waiting for them, as expected. They must have made such a noise with their chase the whole library was probably listening.

"Tell me one good reason why I shouldn't expel you two." The middle-aged man ordered with a reproachful look behind his thick glasses.

Chaeyeon pouted and pointed at her knee.

"I'm injured."

Mr. Smith looked up for a second before letting out a sigh.

"Park Chaeyeon, how could you get hurt in a library?"

"There was a book just lying around. Aren't they supposed to be on a shelf or table? Teacher, punish those who leave things in the way!"

"Said book is right here." Hyewon piped in while simultaneously putting the subject down on the desk.

Mr. Smith glanced at it briefly, his eyes widening excitedly.

"Oh, that's a great one."

"Really? What is it about?"

"It’s a collection of love themed poems from different centuries and cultures -"

"I'm sorry to burst your literature bubble but an injured is waiting here to be aided!" Chaeyeon scolded both of them in a whiny voice. "Come on, Hyewon."

"Alright, alright... Teacher, I'll take this one."

Mr. Smith took the membership card given and typed away on the computer to register the borrowing. Only when the action was finished, did he continue where he left off.

"This is a library, young ladies. With your obnoxious behavior you disturb others in learning and relaxing... Shortly, I better not catch you running around like two idiots again and you can continue using the library when you're in need of passing your subjects."

Chaeyeon snorted while Hyewon bagged the book.

"Ya, teacher, don't be mean. I only pulled an all-nighter here once. And only ordered black bean noodles because the canteen wasn't open at three in the morning."

The librarian stopped in his movements to turn at her alarmed.

"Shouldn't you be expelled then? That didn't happen so long ago -"

"We're getting lost, don't bother, teacher." Hyewon caught on time and dragged her apologetically smiling friend out of the main hall. "Thank you for the recommendation!"

The man was shouting something along the lines of "You're welcome, Hyewon-a" and "You are expelled, Park Chaeyeon, begone!" but the two got away too quickly to hear that. Well, it was an emergency, for two reasons now.

"Why did you come to the library? You have three months until your expulsion expires."

"I had seen Kai in there doing that and my mind became clouded." Chaeyeon answered. "You know, red flag, fire alarm, ambulance sirens... I just had to go and get you. And of course you were at the library of all places. It's your fault, really. Ouch!"

"Really, it is." Hyewon hummed resigned before glancing down. "Does your leg hurt that much?"

Chaeyeon rolled her eyes with a smile.

"Oh, don't be afraid. I'll make you speak once I sit."

 

 

 

Nurse Jang welcomed the girls with the usual friendliness.

"What happened this time? Fell from the stairs? Fractured a toe? Drank too much?"

"Stumbled upon a book, literally." Hyewon answered.

Chaeyeon pouted seeing the two of them chuckle at the pun.

"I can't help that I attract even trouble. It did hurt... and it hurts more now."

Hyewon made her sit lay down on one of the bed and the nurse examined the injured area with her fingers. Chaeyeon was gasping all the while.

"Not broken, fortunately. But it'll swell and discolor quite a bit so don't do anything physically demanding for a week or so." The prediction came. "The more careless you are, the more it hurts. You understand?"

"Yes, unnie."

"I'll take care of her." Hyewon reassured.

Nurse Jang giggled.

"I hoped so."

Just then the door of the infirmary opened again and someone familiar wondered in with his hand covering his jaw. The nurse immediately stood up and went to him.

"Oh Heavens, are you okay, dear?"

"I think I bit my tongue." The teary response came before a shrill voice blasting in the room.

"You cheater!"

"Not now, Chaeyeon. You need rest." Hyewon chided her friend then turned to the new arrival. "Can I help?"

"Bring two ice packs, please." Nurse Jung instructed while holding Kai's tongue with between two fingers, applying pressure so the bleeding can stop. "You know where you can find it."

When Hyewon returned with the asked items, the atmosphere was even tenser. Chaeyeon was murdering the boy being sat next to her legs with her eyes, her leg itching to kick him off. Kai tried looking elsewhere while holding back his tears because Nurse Jung was holding his tongue in a dead grasp and damn, did it hurt as hell and was so awkward at the same time.

Hyewon dropped one pack on top of her friend knee (who took it with an umpf) and gave one to the nurse.

The woman let to go of the bitten tongue and replaced it with the ice pack.

"The bleeding had stopped. The swelling not so keep this on it for a while. I don't think it needs stitching but be careful with bacteria and minty toothpaste. It might sting... You need to pay attention when you eat, haven't you been told?"

"I -"

"Well, accidents happen if you put your tongue everywhere." Chaeyeon interrupted the boy smugly. Hyewon sent her a death glare but she acted like she didn't notice.

The comment was enough to make Nurse Jang see the situation through.

"Oh, I see. I advise you to send your girlfriend to a dentist, young man. This is a serious cut."

"His girlfriend is here but the person who did that is someone else. That's the problem."

"Oh, shut up!" Hyewon got fed up with Chaeyeon's nonsense before turning to the other two. "Is there anything else we can do, unnie? Chaeyeon is fine, she can leave on her feet, no?"

"Yes, I think so?"

"You're not trying to get rid of me, are you- Ya, Kim Hyewon!" Chaeyeon wailed in vain, she was practically pushed outside.

Hyewon looked her in the eye seriously.

"If you still feel weak, sit down on the corridor and wait for me there. If not, please go home and we'll have a conversation."

Chaeyeon bit her lip ashamed.

"I screwed up?"

"It depends. I don't know yet... Now, let Kai have a break. He's in need of immediate treatment just as much as you were."

Hyewon closed the door with a sigh after Chaeyeon plopped down on a chair. This just doesn't want to go smoothly. No matter how easy it is.

"Is everything alright?" Nurse Jang asked, now sitting at her desk filling out papers.

"Yes."

"The principal called. Someone fainted after visiting him and he needs me to check it out... I'd like to ask you to stay here with Kim Jongin-ssi until he feels ready to leave. Could you?"

"That's not -"

"Of course." Kai and Hyewon said at the same time. The boy looked away while clutching onto his ice pack. He looked miserable enough but the reason why Hyewon was so willing to stay had nothing to do with humiliating him further.

Nurse Jang got the emergency kit from under her desk and gave Hyewon two pieces of paper before leaving.

"Here are their reports. Please, give hers to Chaeyeon-a. If you happen to leave before I come back, put the key to the usual spot."

"I will, unnie."

Once they were left in two, Hyewon moved to sit next to Kai.

"I only stayed to help you." She calmed him before leaning in a bit. "Is the cooling working? Let me see."

Kai squirmed away a bit.

"I-It's fine. You don't have to do anything."

Hyewon clenched awkwardly. It wasn't awkward before. Hell, they were completely fine and friendly until Chaeyeon decided to drop the bomb and complicate the situation. Oh, friend and their helpful, loyal nature...

"If you're thinking about how many right is in what Chae has said, stop it, Jongin. You weren't my boyfriend. I wasn't your girlfriend. We've established that, haven't we?"

"Yes, we have. That's why I'm shocked." Kai, actual name Jongin, responded before looking at the girl on his right meaningfully. "There is really nothing going on between us, Hyewon? I mean, other than friendship."

"Isn't being friends more than enough?"

Kai put the icepack away for a second so he can reward the other with a blinding smile. One of his cheeks was slightly puffed (probably he bit that accidentally as well) but he still looked adorable. Hyewon basked in the view and thanked him for his understanding with a bright smile in return as well.

"So I guess it worked out with Soojung."

"It did. I thought she's going to refuse me instantly but she actually agreed to go on a date right away." He told bashfully. "She's really sweet. Cold for a first look but so kind once you get to know her."

Hyewon restrained herself from mocking the epic lover. So much sappiness at once! She hasn't known Soojung that much (actually all of what she has known about her consisted of rumors and a half-hearted description from one of her roommates who is taking volleyball with her) but the characteristics fit. After all, Jongin is the same. Opposite attracts, they say. Well, similarities bind you together.

"I believe you... however, that bite she gave you is kind of foreshadowing."

At the comment Kai shuddered and slapped the ice pack back to its place.

"Oh, that wasn't her. I bit my tongue myself accidentally- Or more like ended up doing so thanks to some effort."

Hyewon tilted her head to the side puzzled.

"What do you mean by that and why do I feel like Park Chaeyeon has done more than just using ?"

Kai chuckled at the choice of words.

"Your people-skills are awesome."

"Keep your enemies close... and your friends closer." Hyewon deadpanned. "Now, fill me in, please.

 

 

 

"She's coming!"

The three girls out of four residing in Room 365 hid in their previously well-chosen places once the warning was signaled. They had little to no chance to escape from the fury of the fourth of them but they had to at least try.

Hyewon returned to dormitory gloomy. The conversation with Kai went fine. They've settled once again what the deal is and came out of it as good friends still. Speaking of other good friends though...

"I'm home~"

She was welcomed with dead silence in their shared apartment. Not surprising. Chaeyeon is silly but not stupid - there is a difference, everybody. For example, Chaeyeon is silly enough to forget about her expulsion from the library. Chaeyeon however is not stupid; she sensed Hyewon will talk it out with Kai and the cat comes out of the bag, resulting in her getting into another trouble. And what does Park Chaeyeon do when she senses punishment coming after her?

Hyewon opened her own wardrobe. Chaeyeon blinked back at her as innocently as she could.

"You should change your hiding spot, don't you think?"

"Welcome back!"

Hyewon looked at her standing firmly on two legs, or more like efficiently stomping on her shoes.

"I guess your leg doesn't hurt that much now."

"Ice packs work miracles! Haha."

"Don't laugh. We do that conversation now... Saemi, your underwear is peeking out from behind my beanbag. Jungha, please try harder. Standing behind a lamp? Really?"

"I haven't even tried in the first place." Jungha answered, stepping forward while fixing her glasses. "But I had to go with the flow. Roommates stick together or something like that."

"Please, don't be mad at us!" Saemi exclaimed. It would have been affective if she was more clothed. "We were doing what roommates and real girl friends do. Saving your pride!"

Hyewon put up a finger to silence her while getting Chaeyeon out of the closet with her other hand.

"Before jumping to the part where you plead for forgiveness and I might forgive you, let's go back to beginning and go in order."

The four of them sat down in the kitchen, being it the place where they usually discuss important matters. Jungha prepared coffee, Chaeyeon and Saemi sat lowered their head like two beagles being scolded for tearing the curtains.

"So, you must have heard I met my friend in the infirmary. I'm talking about Kim Jongin."

"Who?"

Only Jungha was patient enough to answer Saemi's actual question.

"Kai."

"Ah... Was his name always Jongin? I thought they are two different people."

"It's a nickname." Chaeyeon explained further. "Jongin is not cool enough so he had to choose a name which matches his personality."

"As I was saying before I got rudely interrupted" Hyewon continued warningly ", I got to talk to him and he enlightened me with the fact that you three attacked him in the canteen. Seriously, girls?!"

Saemi lowered her head even more, causing her bleached blonde hair falling into her face.

"We didn't hurt him that much."

"Directly speaking, only Saem hurt him."

The accused looked up at Chaeyeon disappointed.

"Ya!"

"What? You are the one who hit him in the head!"

"I was hurt. I saw the guy who is supposed to be my friend's boyfriend kissing some random girl- You didn't try to hold me back!"

While the two had their own mini fight about who is responsible for Kai's tongue bite, Jungha brought the coffee to table.

Hyewon looked up at her as pressing as she could.

"Please, tell me what happened. For real. Without changing the topic or putting the blame on someone else."

"I'll even go in chronological order, as per your request." Jungha said then sat down as well. "Chaeyeon saw Kai and Jung Soojung in the canteen doing you know what. She phoned us and we had to go there immediately. We went. Chaeyeon was waiting for us at the entrance. All three of us marched in and as we reached their table, Saemi smacked the guy in the back of the head. Since he was doing a certain activity, he bit his tongue. He screamed. Jung Soojung looked shocked. Chaeyeon called Kai a cheater and did a rambling about relationships and infidelity and other things which I don't want to discuss because they're not significant... In the meantime Jung Soojung went to the canteen lady to ask for napkins. Kai was covering his mouth. His blood started dribbling down his chin."

Hyewon grimaced. Jungha's memory is sometimes too good.

"And after that?"

"Chaeyeon finished her rambling and stormed out. I think that's when she went looking for you in the library. Saemi shouted after her that she shouldn't forget about the expulsion but now we know it was useless... Saemi told Kai that he's a - I quote - "such a " then told Jung Soojung that she's a - I quote - "fat ". Kai asked what our problem is. Saemi didn't answer just stormed out as well. I waited for a few seconds in case they have something else to say or Chaeyeon and Saemi come back but since nothing happened, as in nobody said anything, Jung Soojung actually started to hand Kai the napkins, I left."

Hyewon facepalmed. Oh my God. No wonder why Jongin acted so warily in the infirmary. After such a scene, she would be at loss of words as well. Chaeyeon is a drama queen, Saemi is a sweetheart who turns into a real if something hits the switch and Jungha is simply a savage. When the three of them team up together for a goal, they become the Three Horsemen of the Apocalypse- Wait.

"So you didn't do anything? You just stood there and did your observation?" Hyewon asked the girl sitting next to her. "I don't buy that."

Jungha looked shady for once.

"I took notes of the happenings. What else do you expect from me?"

"Do you really want me to start?"

"Your people-skills are remarkable... I accidentally left out the part where I told Jung Soojung that her Korean is lacking and she should take Korean lessons instead of French."

See? Total savage.

Soon Chaeyeon and Saemi ended their stupid fight, partly thanks to the realization Hyewon now knows anything, there's no need to make up stories and pick the one at fault. All of them were at fault, including Hyewon.

"If this was a real situation, I would be actually glad you stood up for me." She said sincerely. "But Kai and I weren't dating. We've never been and as much as I heard him talking about Soojung, I don't think we'll ever be. Where did you get such information? I don't remember you telling anything."

"That's it. You did not say a thing." Chaeyeon pointed out before ruffling her short, flaming red hair. "You went out with him countless times -"

"Twenty-two times. I counted." Saemi grinned.

"- and you looked all lovey-dovey."

Hyewon blinked surprised.

"We did?"

"I saw him feeding you yoghurt. Jungha saw him carrying your books. Saemi saw you two in the amusement park, on the Ferris ing wheel talking with big smiles on your faces... it, the whole campus saw you giving each other chocolate on Valentine's Day!"

Everything Chaeyeon has said was true - but the way looks like everybody interpreted it is more than these actions actually were.

"For starters, Jongin is an affectionate guy. He's really lovely and caring."

"He uses a different name because he needs to be cooler." Jungha commented. "He is supposed to be a bad boy."

"He has bad boy qualities... but I think he's more of a Princess Charming." Hyewon chuckled. "That day in the canteen I was ahead of a presentation. I was super nervous. He bought me yoghurt so I can cool down. I didn't ask him to feed it to me. He volunteered so I can continue reviewing my notes. It did feel awkward at first but we grew close so after a few seconds I didn't mind. He offered to carry my books. I accepted because it was late in the day, I was hella tired and he's in a better condition than me."

"Yes, he has some muscles..." They all daydreamed for a while (including Jungha, even though she tried to look nonchalant) before Saemi continued. "What about the amusement park? Why did you ride the Ferris wheel if you're friends?"

Hyewon lifted an eyebrow at the question.

"Friends can't ride the Ferris wheel? I saw the "NO UNDER TEN" sign but nothing else."

"You know I mean -"

"Everything in the park was noisy. It was fun for a while but soon we wanted to go to a place where we can talk comfortably. The Ferris wheel is a place like that and even has awesome scenery. It was intimate... not in a sense you all are thinking right now."

"I'm starting to see why you two fooled all of us. None of you are clear with the relationship tags." Chaeyeon sighed.

"Valentine's Day is associated with romantic love." Jungha brought up the last "date" mentioned even the conclusion was already out. She had to though, it was needed for stats. "You both had to know from the outside you looked like a pair."

Hyewon scratched the back of her head awkwardly.

"We did know... We might be weird but we're not complete idiots. That one was intentional. You know now Soojung and Kai like each other. But Soojung was too shy to come forward so we had to do something to make her realize she has to man- woman up and let Kai know his feelings are reciprocated. Two days, two very long days according to Kai, he asked her out and she said yes. And now they're together."

For a while nobody said anything. Hyewon was thinking about what a big misunderstanding came out of a casual, friendly relationship. They were just having fun. It was nothing like that.

The other three was trying to process the ridiculous truth.

"Soojung didn't seem exactly shy when Kai put his tongue down ." Jungha noted.

Saemi put an arm around her shoulder with a grin.

"Oh, like you'd be able to refrain yourself if you get a kiss like that~"

Chaeyeon couldn't accept it that easily. In fact, she looked at Hyewon quite worried when everything had sunken in.

"All I've learned from this is that you have a serious problem, Kim Hyewon."

The girl named looked back startled.

"What are you talking about?"

"You have the friendzone-curse... and I shall free you from that before it's too late."

 

 

 


 

What exactly is the friendzone-curse? What is Chaeyeon planning to do to free Hyewon from that? Will the medical bill reach Saemi after her well-aimed punch at Kai's nape? ... Okay, the last one is exaggeration. They won't be on friendly terms for a while - actually Kai won't go near the Room 365 habitants in this semester at least - but that's it. I'm sure the insurance covers it. :D

Anyway, apart from the last question you'll get to know everything else from the next chapter. Feel free to subscribe & please-please-pretty please comment if you read! Feedback doesn't have 'feed' in it accidentally. We authors feed on that. With feedback you feed our thoughts and creativity. If we don't get food we die. If our mind doesn't get food, we can't come up with updates... Now that I've taken it too far, I'm saying goodbye. You know the conclusion. ;)

Have a wonderful day!

sophie94