Date Between 1 & 2

12 Dates to Find 1 [On Hiatus]

 

"I'm -"

Before Hyewon could even notify the rest of the household over her return, those three were already sitting in the living room, looking up instantly from whatever they were doing with sparkling eyes. They rather looked like hungry hyenas catching a glimpse of an antelope on the savanna. Hyewon would have felt intimidated if she had the mood to express any emotion but since she didn't, she just hung up her coat and went to the kitchen for a drink.

"Did she just leave us hanging?" Jungha asked surprised.

Saemi of course panicked.

"Oh my God, maybe the date went wrong!"

"I'll find it out." Chaeyeon volunteered and with that followed her housemate to the kitchen. Hyewon was sitting there, drinking a glass of water, looking totally busy with thoughts. "If you don't want to talk about, just say "yay" or "nay" at least. Yay for a good date with Junmyeon oppa and nay for a bad one."

"Yay. It was a good date." Hyewon said nonchalantly.

"Then what are you so sad about for?"

"I'm not sad, I'm just... I can't believe you were right."

"I have no idea why you're saying that, I'm quite good at predicting things."

Hyewon sent a killing glare to her friend.

"For once it would have been good if you turned out to be wrong... I do have it."

Chaeyeon had immediately become triumphant.

"See? I've told you!"

"What do you have?" Saemi asked with Jungha on her trail. The fact they were this concerned about her made Hyewon feel a bit better.

"I have the friendzone-curse." She admitted out loud. "I've friendzoned somebody. Or more like I've become aware of it."

"Wait a second, please, I have to get my stats!" Jungha exclaimed but couldn't go far because Chaeyeon grabbed her arm to prevent the action.

"I think Hyewon needs some comforting words more than your stats."

"I'm fine." Hyewon cracked a smile. "I'm just... a little cheerless, you can say."

"Then let us cheer you up!" Saemi offered before running to her friend and hugging her close. "We has lost internet connection two hours ago. I've beaten Jung-Jung three times already. Care to make her stats worse?"

By beating someone Saemi didn't mean actual beating this time (actually ever since that accident she hasn't hurt a fly but has been deeply reflecting). It meant getting a higher score in the T-REX RUNNER. In lack of anything else to do Hyewon agreed and at the end she did beat Jungha and Saemi as well.

"I shall name you as the queen of this game." Saemi commented in awe. "How did you get such a high score?"

"It's not the most complicated game in the world."

"I wonder why you couldn't win any of us ever then." Chaeyeon quipped back to Jungha's comment.

"She beat all of us and a lot of others for that matter, in Flappy Bird. That puts her on a different tier." Hyewon reminded her friends of the legendary day when Ha Jungha had beaten the university record in said game and got international recognition as well thanks to Saemi's nice capture on Instagram. The hashtag "flappy bird ha jung ha" has even made into Naver's Most Searched Words This Week list.

The Flappy Bird champion shook her head slowly.

"The two games are only similar in visual and gameplay. Otherwise one of them is harder than the other in the sense of-  I rather not tell. I'm sure all of us are more curious about Hyewon's date."

Chaeyeon and Saemi both sent a warning look to their common friend but Hyewon didn't mind the reference. She had to tell sooner or later anyway. And once more, it wasn't that bad of a date.

"Let's order pizza. I'll tell you then everything." She offered kindly.

The other free exchanged looks.

"Are you sure?"

"You don't have to."

"We obviously expect you to tell everything right now."

This time Hyewon couldn't stop Jungha from getting rebuked, unfortunately in form of Saemi raising a warning fist.

She had to laugh at the sight.

"I am sure. Now, someone call Slice of Heaven. I'm craving for pepperoni."

While they were waiting, Jungha did go to write her stats no matter how hard Saemi insisted on doing "just one more round, please." Eventually their internet came back causing the tournament's end. Hyewon had to bring out their secret Monopoly stash so Saemi won't cry because there's "no more fun thing to do". Soon Jungha joined and after a minute or two, she had already built more houses than the two of them combined. (What a surprise from a Business student.)

Their pizza arrived around an hour later. Chaeyeon went to answer the doorbell and when she came back, she looked a lot different from earlier. Her eyes were sparking and her cheeks a bit red.

"What happened?" Hyewon asked, noticing firstly out of all of them that something has changed about their red-haired friend.

"Nothing."

"You look like someone who has got robbed."

"No, she looks someone who has just seen someone hot, that look can't be mistaken!" Saemi corrected Jungha's weird guess once for all. "There's a new delivery guy, isn't there? How did he look?"

"Ya, if I say nothing happened, then nothing happened." Chaeyeon said firmly after she came back from the kitchen and put the pizza box down as well as some napkins. "We're about hear about a hot guy after all. Right, Hyewon?"

The girl named nodded and in the next ten minutes she was telling everything how it was. She made sure not to miss any details and that she tells everything as it was. She needed an overview of why exactly ended the night as it did.

Her friends were listening silently. They only made a face when Hyewon reached the very end.

"I've referred to him with the word "friend." I screwed it up."

"I want to say you did not but you did." Chaeyeon sighed after gulping down half of her pizza slice. "Why did you say that?"

"I wasn't thinking. It had just slipped out of my mouth."

"That's the friendzoning-curse, definitely." Saemi acknowledged the fact pouting. "What are you going to do now, Won-won? That's a problem."

"I know." She replied. "I was so sure you're just making this up but- No. Things were going smoothly and all and then I just dropped the f-bomb."

"Oh, that's not the only thing you did wrong."

"What do you mean?"

Before Chaeyeon could continue, Jungha put her two cents in.

"When your hands touched, you reacted like nothing happened. You hid from the librarian giving the impression of that you don't want to be seen with him in public. And you didn't let him pay."

"Whoa, Ha Jungha. You haven't had a date since forever but you remember that. I'm proud of you!" Chaeyeon exclaimed surprised before turning back to the girl in question. "See?"

"I don't get it..."

"You weren't supposed to do these things. The point is you didn't make him feel you're on a date." Saemi helped in with her two hundred diary pages of love experience and enormous list of exes. "You handled him like he was your friend."

"I... I didn't. At least not intended to."

"Okay, I feel like we should be super blunt about this or else we never go past square one." Chaeyeon announced, fed up with their one-sided conversation. "Tell us, Kim Hyewon, did you feel attracted to Junmyeon oppa just once during the afternoon?"

It was something Hyewon didn't have to think twice about. Junmyeon was one dreamy guy not easy to find anywhere.

"I did."

"So if he had gone for a real kiss instead, would you have kissed him back?"

Now it was a much more embarrassing question... and what's more important, red flags flashed in Hyewon's mind instantly hearing it. Junmyeon was indeed a nice guy. Why does she feel so against being with him like that then? Sure it was their first date, it would have been a very courageous thing to do but aside that, just being in a relationship with him felt out of place for her.

Anyway, one thing for certain, she couldn't tell that her friends. They might have started questioning and at the end she had confess her non-existing love life.

Fortunately for her, Saemi's bold question got  boo-ed down immediately. Even Chaeyeon, who was the mastermind behind everything, gave her a warning.

"It was their first meeting, girl. Let's take a step back, okay?" Then she looked at Hyewon in a comforting manner. "You didn't do a lot of things right but there is one thing at least which you did exceptionally well. You showed up. You went to the arranged place and gave the guy a chance. That's something, Hyewon. You've tried and that matters the most. We said first date is only for practice anyway, no?"

Jungha shared Chaeyeon's opinion.

"Don't be down. You're smart, Hyewon. It's statistically probable next time you'll do better."

Hyewon nodded thankfully. Chaeyeon might be a friend with a stubborn and sometimes borderline annoying personality but when she has to do her best, she never disappoints. Same goes for Saemi and Jungha (except that the two of them are much easier to handle). She's lucky to have such roommates.

The peaceful atmosphere had become broken by a phone ringing.

Recognizing the ringtone belonging to her, Hyewon frantically reached for her bag forgotten on the sofa and fished the device out.

"Could it be Junmyeon?" Saemi's eyes lit up.

"They haven't exchanged numbers." Jungha told her at instant.

Indeed, it wasn't him. It was another him.

"Hello?"

"Hi, button." Chanyeol sounded strange at the other end of the line. "I'm not disturbing you, am I?"

"I-It's okay. Go ahead."

In reality no, it wasn't okay because her three roommates were watching every word if her. But it's not like she could tell about it with them around so yeah.

"Hm, interesting. And here was I thinking you've had something important going on since you had to cancel the lesson tonight."

Hyewon bit her lip in guilt. It is true because of the date she had to miss out on the lesson. And what's worse, she had to lie about the reason. Why did she answer the phone? Busted.

"I finished that something earlier than I have thought." At least that was true. "Sorry. There won't be a next time."

"You won't come on Tuesday?"

"I mean I won't cancel again." She sighed. "That's why you called me? So you can annoy me?"

After a momentary pause, Chanyeol spoke up.

"No. I called you because... I have to tell you something. Could we meet tomorrow?"

Hyewon's eyes widened. What does he possibly want to say? It must be something important if he's hesitating to talk about it on the phone. Chanyeol is usually direct and sadly, just as blunt as his sister. This must be something big.

"Yeah. Why not? When are you free? At the usual place?"

Chanyeol chuckled before continuing.

"Let's meet in the café two streets down at four. You know the place, right?"

"Yes, I do."

"Then I'll see you there-"

"Wait." She called out for him in the last second. "Should I bring my guitar?"

It was very unlikely they'll have a lesson in a public place but hey, maybe after that they make up for the missed lesson with an impromptu one. Yeah, that must be it.

However, the answer Hyewon got seconds later differed from her expectation.

"Oh. Y-you don't have to. We'll have a lesson on Tuesday anyway. Have a good night, Hyewon."

"Goodnight, Chan- Chanmi."

Hyewon corrected her slip in the last of the last second but she did succeeded in not revealing the identity of her caller. If Chanyeol heard it or not, she wasn't sure because by then there was silence on his side.

The other three girls sitting all the while next to her have heard it nonetheless.

"Chanmi?" Chaeyeon pronounced the name warily. "Who is that?"

"My guitar teacher." Hyewon answered as confidently as she could. If Park Chaeyeon senses something, she goes after it whatever it takes. The only thing which could slow her down is clever reasoning... or shamelessly good capability of lying. Hyewon has taken the risk to do both.

"It's a she? That's new." Saemi wondered then started explaining seeing the questionable look on her friends' faces. "You're pretty excited every single time you go to your lesson. I've thought it's because you meet a guy."

Damn. It's common knowledge Saemi can be slow... why isn't she so when it's needed?

"No, it is a she. Chanmi is a music student, a few years above me." Hyewon said, trying to not look as freaked out as she was feeling. "She's a... really nice girl."

"She must be. Based on the conversation you've had with her just now, you undoubtedly like her a lot." Jungha pointed out, no offense apparent in her voice.

In Chaeyeon's however...

"Yeah. I'm surprised you've never introduced us to this nice friend of yours. Why don't you invite her over some time? We should hang out."

Apparently Chaeyeon was neither impressed nor convinced by the news. Hyewon has known her enough now to recognize that. Even so, this time she couldn't do anything to make her feel better.

"Sadly Chanmi is very busy. She's a graduate student, you know? I-I've tried to hang out with her already but she always politely refuses... Though I could try one more time for you. I'll ask her next time, okay?"

Hyewon knew it's impossible but refusing right away seemed like a telltale sign of something fishy. The girls also looked a bit disappointed. She had to at least seem like she's trying.

"Okay!" Saemi exclaimed happily before standing up and stretching her numb limbs. "I need some exercise after so much calories. Who's up for some dancing?"

 

 

 

The café was one Hyewon knew well - but not from her own experience. When the habitants of Room 365 wanted to go out or one of Hyewon's peers invited her out for coffee, they usually chose the café right across the street, popular among the students of SNU. Hyewon has only heard of the place Chanyeol has suggested because it was the first place she spotted during her pre-uni trip in Seoul. She was accompanied by her brother, Wonho (whom hearing this much is more than enough) and even though they barely passed by the shop, Hyewon had immediately decided she visits it again later.

Because it looked cozy, friendly and had a rather artsy vibe. From the colorful curtains to the nice woodwork all around, not to mention the replicas of famous paintings on the wall... Hyewon fell in love with it at first sight. (Wonho called it hipster and made a face. See? He doesn't deserve more words.) That Chanyeol has known of the place as well established the fact that the two of them have a connection.

Chanyeol, as always, arrived a few minutes earlier than the arranged time. When Hyewon spotted him in a corner, there was a cup of something in front of him already, he himself looking zoned out.

"Earth to Park Chanyeol."

The guy looked up nonchalantly.

"Do we know each other?"

Hyewon froze. What?

She only understood it when Chanyeol continued.

"Ah, you must be the clumsy student Chanmi was talking about. Sadly, she couldn't come. She sent me instead of herself." He broke into a teasing grin. "Hope you don't mind it too much?"

Hyewon rolled her eyes and took place in front of him finally.

"Very funny."

"It is funny, admit it... God, I almost died from laughing after hearing that."

"After I've said that I almost died, period." She sighed. "You should be thankful instead of mocking. The girls were super curious about my mysterious friend. I had to lie to them so I can keep my promise to you... Please tell me once more, why should we keep this a secret?"

The promise was made during their first lesson. The price Chanyeol has said was beyond her reach. Hyewon contemplated leaving him right there but then he made a generous discount she couldn't refuse: "You know what? I'll teach you for free BUT... You can't tell about it to anybody. Especially not to my precious little sister aka the devil's span. If you can keep this a secret, by the next summer you'll be able to play just well."

It seemed to be a much more affordable price for Hyewon. And since she insisted having him as her teacher (ever since that summer night she has first heard him play), she quickly accepted the condition. If only she could see why it had to be the condition...

"I don't know if you've noticed but Chaeyeon makes a mountain out of a molehill." Chanyeol said. "Believe me, it's the best for both of us if she doesn't know. As well as no one else. You know how rumors spread. Someone knows, everyone knows."

That is true, Hyewon couldn't disagree with that. In a university community it turned out to be double the true. Even so, she couldn't understand what kind of rumors the guy is so afraid of. What's wrong with teaching someone? Actually isn't that something to be proud of? Or Hyewon is the problem? Chanyeol doesn't want her to be involved in the same context with him because she's not-

Hyewon cleared and turned a page in her mind. There's no need to take it that far.

"Okay. Then tell me what I should do. Keep lying? I don't like that."

"Hey." Chanyeol changed his approach sensing the anxious state of the other. He leaned above the table and covered her hand resting on the surface with his own. "I'm certain your friends understood this is a sensitive topic for you. They won't bring it up more... Cheer up. I came here with good news."

Hyewon subconsciously pulled her hand back.

"What kind of good news?"

"MUSE is coming to town."

No. Way. It took every willpower of Hyewon not to break into a loud cheer hearing that. One of her favorite bands of all time is going to come here? Is this a dream?

"H-how do you know that?"

"They added Seoul to their tour dates, duh." Chanyeol snorted while leaning back in his seat. "That isn't the end of your lucky day though. I happened to have two tickets with seats in one of the first rows and- I'm willing to give one to you."

Is this a joke? Hyewon couldn't be so sure after the prank the other had pulled earlier also this is MUSE they're talking about. Chanyeol loves said band just as well as she does, if not more. It's kind of hard to believe he's willing to get rid of one of his tickets this easily.

"Are you sure?"

"I am. Why?" For the first time that afternoon Chanyeol looked less confident. "You don't want to go? That's- Fine. I mean, if you really don't -"

"I want to!" Hyewon exclaimed then lowered her voice considering what place they're in. "Of course I want to go. I was just surprised out of all people you've asked me. I feel appreciated."

She said the last sentence half-jokingly, half-seriously. Hyewon did feel appreciated but didn't dare to say it like she means it so she decided to cover it with a joke. Chanyeol pranks him a lot of the times. He shall get something back from it.

"I don't know anyone else who is into this band enough to appreciate the opportunity." Chanyeol said nonchalantly. "The concert is a month away, by the way. You have plenty of time to... think this through. That's why I don't give you your ticket now."

Hyewon hesitatingly nodded. It was logical... and not-so-logical at the same time. As in, can't she give the ticket back later if she figures she won't use it? Anyway, like they say don't look a gift horse in the mouth, it's better if she expresses her gratitude towards the gesture.

"Okay. Thank you, Chanyeol." She smiled genuinely. "You know I've always wanted see them live. This means a lot."

The guy didn't answer for a second. Then he returned the smile and said:

"You're welcome, button."

They spent the next hour or so with mindlessly chatting about little things related to school, music and such. Chanyeol told that he's almost finished with the song the company has ordered from him and that if he does well, they'll employ him again.

"At least that's what they've said." Chanyeol added. "The contact person also mentioned they're about to launch an internship program. He didn't say anything concrete though."

Hyewon had to giggle at his modesty.

"Oh, come on. They were totally hinting at giving you an internship. I say you'll get it. I haven't heard said song but I know how much you work on it so it must be a masterpiece."

"I'll let you listen to it once it's finished... and I see improvement in your strumming."

"Ya."

Chanyeol chuckled and took a sip from his drink.

"Don't you want to order something? You haven't had anything since you arrived."

"Good observation. I'm starving." She stood up. "You need anything?"

"No... I'm good."

Hyewon reached for her wallet and walked up to the counter. The guy guarding it welcomed her with a wide, pleasant smile.

"What I can get you?"

"I'd like to have a slice of blueberry cheesecake... Make it two." She corrected after some thinking. "Also a cup of lavender tea. Do you have that here?"

"Yes, we do."

While the bartender guy went to get the cake, Hyewon calculated the sum... and has become aware of her full bladder at the same time. No wonder she hasn't noticed she needs anything - the soup Jungha had cooked for them for lunch made an impact.

"Excuse me."

"Yes?" The bartender looked up briefly from pouring water into the kettle.

"I have to go to the restroom. Could you hold onto these for a minute, please?"

She dropped her phone and wallet on the counter.

"Of course... Although your order is ready in a sec. If you show me which table you're at, I'll take everything there."

It was a generous offer but Hyewon had to shook her head. She was afraid Chanyeol pays for the order and that she couldn't let happen.

"Oh, you don't have to. I'll be back quick. Thank you!"

She dashed towards the restrooms after that in lightning speed. Thankfully for her the way there was showed clearly by the usual signs.

Hyewon emerged from the restroom relieved. She stepped to the counter to pay and get what she has ordered.

"How much it is?"

While the bartender prepared the bill and started to list the prices, Hyewon had noticed someone going to the table she has left Chanyeol minutes ago. It was a girl in a denim skirt, her long, straight hair flowing after her as she took the place next to the guy. Hyewon couldn't recognize her but from the way she put a hand on Chanyeol's shoulder, it was clear he is familiar with her.

"Hey."

Hyewon snapped out of staring when the bartender hesitatingly called out for her.

"Oh, sorry. Could you tell me everything again? No, not everything. Just the final sum."

Her hands were shaking as she was looking for bills in her wallet. Suddenly she didn't feel as cozy or relieved as before, even the awesome news of the upcoming MUSE concert has lost its impact for her. Hyewon couldn't understand herself for reacting this way but nonetheless, she felt bitter.

And it showed on her face as well.

"Is everything okay?"

"Of course. Don't worry, I'm not one to leave without paying." Hyewon chuckled awkwardly. "Can I ask you a favor?"

"It depends on what that would be."

She bit her lip in embarrassment.

"Would it be okay if I stayed here a little longer? I won't stand in the way I'll just... chill by the coffee machine for a second."

The bartender slightly glanced towards the right then looked back without getting noticed by the customer.

"Yeah, it's fine. As long as you want. If you need anything, tell me, okay?"

"Thanks." She smiled. "I'll owe you one."

Hyewon had sent the second number from beside the coffee machine, in the café "Moonlight", drinking lavender tea. She didn't think it through but at the time that didn't matter.

 

Hyewon: 94

 

 

 


 

This was supposed to be a double-update for several reasons.

1) As you can see this "interlude" is much shorter than the usual chapters but I didn't know better. If I put this up in the same chapter as Date 2, then it would have been way too long. So I was like okay, let's put the two in separate chapters, but post them at the same time, how good does that sound?

2) I'm a little bit late with the update anyway so yeah, double-update is a treat you all deserve.

But then all HELL had broken loose just so nothing goes the way I planned.

There is uni of course as the main time-consuming thing I have going on but aside from that, on top of that, I was careless last week and downloaded a virus which pretty much destroyed my laptop... OTL OTL OTL Thankfully all my files could be saved - thank God I write this on AFF bless me -. However it was my brother who repaired the laptop because he's an IT specialist and he was careless as well, resulting in that I thought little mistake of my SHIFT key suddenly not working. Only that. Everything else is fine.

...

WELL LITTLE MISTAKE MY A- All the important things by writing a story are reachable by pressing SHIFT! So yeah, I have had no quesiton marks, exclamation marks & apostrophe whatsoever for 5 days. I Ctrl-C Ctrl-V all of them ever since FML I'm dying, guys. It's sooo disturbing. I write so much slower because of it. 6in tears

If you want to hear more about my SHIFT problem, as well as updates of the story, look for me at SSPiCYfruit on Twitter. I finish nagging here. :D

 

In conclusion, double-update postponed but you have this little chapter at least and I think I'm going to bring Date 2 towards the end of the week, as usual. Forgive me all. orz What do you think about this "interlude" by the way? Are you excited for what's to come? Write me a comment so I can know~

 

Have a wonderful day!

sophie94