Chapter 4

Trapped

 

I quickly pop popcorn in the microwave and rush back to my phone.

“So, tell me the story!” They all look at each other and scratch their heads.

Sungyeol pointed at Woohyun, “Hyung, you first.”

“Why?” He said angrily.

“Because you were trapped in here first!” Woohyun sighs and decides to tell the story.

“Well, you know the old lady that runs the antique store, right?” I nod my head while stuffing my mouth with popcorn.

“She’s a witch.” The popcorn in my mouth fell back into the bowl and the ones that were in my hand fell onto the floor.

“… What?” Maybe my hearing isn’t right… He didn’t say ‘witch’ right?

“She’s a witch.” My eyes widen. I start to laugh awkwardly.

“You’re joking right? There’s no way she can be a witch.” I said while picking up the popcorn off of the floor.

“Uh-huh… then how do you suppose we got in your phone?” Asked Dongwoo. He’s got a point…

“Fine, I’ll believe that she’s a witch… for now.”

“Okay, so we all did something that angered her.” Said Woohyun.

“And then she put you in the phone?” They all nod their heads.

“So what did you guys do?” They looked flustered and started scratching their heads.

“Well, I um, broke the heart of the witch’s granddaughter…” Muttered Woohyun.

“I let the witch’s grandson drown.”  Explained Hoya.

“I bullied the witch’s grandson for money…” Said Sungyeol avoid my gaze.

“And… ah, I think I bumped into the witch’s granddaughter and knocked down all her things and didn’t pick it up? Or was it something else…” Dongwoo started to think but he soon gave up.

“… I expected something more….” I avoided their gaze. I thought the way they angered the witch would be, I don’t know, cooler?

It was silent in the room until Hoya spoke up. “You’ve got to help us. We’ve been stuck in this phone for awhile and we need to get. You’re the only one who can help us.”

“Why me?” I ask.

“You’re the one who bought the phone.” Snorted Dongwoo.

“All you have to do is find an amulet and our bodies…” Said Sungyeol.

“Amulet? What does that have to do with anything?” They all just shrug their shoulders.

“All we remember was her talking about an amulet, so we’re guessing that we need that to go back into our bodies.”  Answered Dongwoo.

“But where are these ‘amulets’?” They all shrug their shoulders again and answer, “We don’t know.”

“Then how am I supposed to find it? Don’t you guys know anything else?” They were silent and started thinking.

“Whatever. I’ll go ask the witch tomorrow then.” They all look at me like I’m crazy. “What?”

“She won’t tell you. We’ve been trying to convince her to tell us but she won’t.” Said Sungyeol.

I roll my eyes. “She let me buy the phone knowing you guys are in it. So she’s probably expecting me to help you guys.”

“But-” Before anyone of them could argue with me, I close my phone. I finish eating my popcorn while hearing my phone receive text messages. I grab my phone so that I can put it away but it falls out of my hand. Curse my buttery fingers. I hear something break and I look down.

The cute fortune cookie charm broke. “Crap…” I breathed. I really liked the charm too. I quickly get a broom and clean up the shattered glass. In between the shattered glass, I found a piece of paper. That’s cool; they made this charm like a real fortune cookie! I flip it around and see a message.

It said, ‘To reach the end, you must first go to where it all began.’