Chapter 8

Delaying the Inevitable

***WORD OF WARNING - Some of the description (near the end) isn't explicitly M - Rated but does imply stuff that is M - Rated. It isn't an essential part of the story so if youre not comfortable then you can skip it. I just thought I'd warn you if you're sensitive to these kinds of things.***

 

“6 years of friendship Shin Hye.” Jae Suk chuckled.

“We don’t have a choice but to get along.” Kwang Soo teased earning a hit on the head from Haha.

“But is Ji Hyo unni ok?” Shin Hye asked, worried.

“She’ll be fine. She’s strong like that.” Suk Jin told her, but it was more to calm the other members as well as himself. The fact that Ji Hyo actually left must have meant that whatever Jong Kook had said hurt her. And he hated anyone that upset Ji Hyo as she was more of a daughter rather than just a member to him.

“I hope so. She seemed really upset.” Shin Hye stated.

“I know.” Gary mused with his eyes looking to see if there was any sign of Ji Hyo. During that time, Jong Kook felt alienated and wondered if his last comment had hurt her. However, his internal monologue argued against this and reasoned that his comment shouldn’t have had any impact on Ji Hyo if she had no feelings for him, something which Jong Kook was almost certain. Nevertheless, the fact that Ji Hyo had left without speaking a word to him left a pang in his heart which was something that he hadn’t felt before, even during past breakups, leaving Jong Kook feeling more confused than ever before.

Filming re – commenced after lunch and the distance between Jong Kook and Ji Hyo was noticed by everyone, leaving them to feel like the awkward friend involved in the middle of a couple’s argument. The next game didn’t make it any better for the two either – the Peppero game was used to decide which couple would go around with the bells attached to their feet. Jong Kook couldn’t stand watching Ji Hyo and Dong Wook both getting closer and closer, and too fast for Jong Kook’s liking, and bit his lips, almost enough to make them bleed. Kwang Soo was the first to pick up this reaction, nudging Jae Suk and nodding towards them which made him smirk at the sight of how head over heels Jong Kook was for Ji Hyo. Likewise, Ji Hyo tried not to be too affected when it was Shin Hye and Jong Kook’s turn. Jong Kook tried to make eye contact with Ji Hyo after his turn but was only left feeling even guiltier when Ji Hyo promptly met his eyes but looked away, not acknowledging him.

It was a couple’s Name Tag Elimination Race that would be the final game of the day, with the last couple standing being the winner. Being one of the smartest and patient members out of the Running Man members, Ji Hyo dragged Dong Wook and they hid in a spare room. Inevitably they had some close shaves – namely by Haha and Suk Jin (they were reluctantly partnered up together, much to the amusement of others) – but apart from that they managed to keep quiet. In the end however, it was Jong Kook and Shin Hye against Ji Hyo and Dong Wook as all the other couples had got ousted. Dong Wook, who had sensed that something had happened between Ji hyo and Jong Kook, did his best and took Ji Hyo’s hand and met her eyes.

“We have two options; we can either give up now or face them and you can leave me to take of Jong Kook hyung’s nametag.”

“We should at least fight so you can take home the prize.” Ji Hyo absentmindedly told him.

“If that’s what you want.” So Dong Wook took her hand and led her out where they were promptly met by Jong Kook and Shin Hye. Dong Wook noticed Jong Kook’s eyes expressed an anger that almost made him retreat but he had to remember that it was a game and so stayed, with Ji Hyo by his side, still holding hands, which didn’t go unnoticed by Jong Kook.

“Why are you holding hands?” Jong Kook seethed trying to gauge a reaction from Ji Hyo but was met with her avoiding him. It was a lie to say that it didn’t upset him but he knew that his emotions had to be kept in check as they were still filming. So in response, he took Shin Hye’s hand and made her stay behind him, in a protective position. Like a cycle, Ji Hyo noticed this and tried to suppress her jealousy by squeezing Dong Wook’s hand in an attempt to hurry up and end the game, putting her out of her misery. Truth was, Dong Wook wanted this to end to, not just for Ji Hyo but to end the bitter tension that was present in the hallway in which even the staff noticed.

“It’s a couple race.” Dong Wook stated. “Hyung, let’s just fight man to man and let the girls fight it out.”

“Fine.” Jong Kook seethed as he stepped up to the plate. He and Dong Wook started to fight for the nametag, with their respective partners cheering each other on. Dong Wook kept repeating to himself that winning would be for Ji Hyo, him taking the best friend role in an attempt to cheer her up by winning. Jong Kook on the other hand couldn’t stop looking at Ji Hyo, who was in his eyesight behind Dong Wook, as she cheered on Dong Wook. Although it wasn’t so apparent to others, it was easily recognisable to him that her cheers were filled with sadness and Jong Kook hated that. Jong Kook had tried to rack his brain as to why she was so sad and had happened suddenly during lunch and why this had affected her during the rest of the day.  Even worse for him was that, if the other members had been right, then the cause of her unhappiness would be him for whatever reason.

During that moment however, Dong Wook tried to rip off Jong Kook’s nametag, only to fail due to his quick reflexes, something that never ceased to amaze the crew. Using his strength, and maybe 1% of jealousy (99% was more accurate), Jong Kook managed to grab Dong Wook’s nametag before ripping it off like it was nothing. Maybe it was because he was jealous that Ji Hyo opened up to Dong Wook and not himself during lunch or the fact that Dong Wook got to hold Ji Hyo’s hand so openly during filming (or both), but the process of ripping the nametag rivalled that of a MMA fighter catching his opponent in a headlock position during a match.

Ji Hyo stood in shock as Dong Wook was escorted off to jail, joining the other members, who constantly mouthed his apologies for leaving her in this position.

“I won’t fight this. I’ll leave you two girls to it.” Jong Kook decided, only wanting to go against Ji Hyo if absolutely needed. Of course, he had forgot that Ji Hyo was so strong, and although Shin Hye was strong herself, Ji Hyo was stronger. It could have been due to her experience that had built up during 6 years of the show, or it could be due to the fact that Ji Hyo had taken some of Jong Kook’s tips when it came to food and health. One example would be having chicken after a workout, the same as Jong Kook, and having shakes at least 4 times a week. Admittedly, she couldn’t handle having it everyday like Jong Kook but she figured that it was close enough. The major thing however, was that Ji Hyo and Jong Kook often exercised together at the gym. It was only a couple of times mind you, which became less and less due to the hectic schedules the two had with their individual schedules such as dramas and tours, but it was the perfect opportunity for each of them to marvel and admire (and drool) over each other. Jong Kook couldn’t keep his inappropriate thoughts away as he stood behind Ji Hyo as he supported her back whilst she did some squats which was only made worse when she started to sweat. Said sweat glistened under the artificial lighting and when she stretched her neck, Jong Kook would occupy himself as he willed the thoughts of kissing her neck and marking her as his away. Similarly, Ji Hyo used their gym sessions as opportunities to see Jong Kook’s firm muscles which flexed when he worked out. In particular, she loved to see how strong his arms were and would often wonder to herself how much pleasure she would gain should they get together. The sweat that trickled down his abs, which came in view whenever he lifted his arms, made her think thoughts that were especially inappropriate for a respected actress. 

So ultimately, it came down the Jong Kook and Ji Hyo determining the day’s winner. Jong Kook wanted so bad to use this as an opportunity to have some skinship* with Ji Hyo but one look at Ji Hyo and he knew otherwise. Ji Hyo’s eyes radiated uneasiness and discomfort which started to confirm his suspicions that Ji Hyo was upset because of him. Additionally, Jong Kook really wanted to get some time alone and talk to her and thus wanted to utilise this time without any of the other members and their respective partners, but had to restrain himself as he reminded himself of the presence of the VJs and their respective PDs, not to mention the various camera that were attached to the walls.

“Ji Hyo – yah, you’ve got enough gold already.” Jong Kook started.

“True but Dong Wook hasn’t so I said he could have it.” This comment, although said in passing, fuelled jealousy inside Jong Kook as he bit his tongue as well as his face hardening.

“Ji Hyo – yah, one of us have to win.”

“You’ve got no one to give your gold to if you win.” Ji Hyo pointed out.

“I’ll save it and give it to my future girlfriend.”

“You might as well give it to your partner for today.” Ji Hyo stated, bitterly.

“Maybe I should.” Jong Kook hummed, although he hated how he had to go along with this story for the show. His heart broke 3 times; once when Ji Hyo came up with the nonchalant responses that she did, another when Ji Hyo gave no response when he said that he’d give the gold to his future girlfriend and for the third time when her only motivation for winning was giving Dong Wook the gold. He hated the fact that it was always Dong Wook, and never him.

“I’m sorry to break it to you but I can’t do that. I’m doing this for my partner.” Ji Hyo retaliated, breaking Jong Kook’s heart for the fourth time. Of course Jong Kook was caught off guard momentarily, but it was all that was needed for Ji Hyo run round the back so that Jong Kook’s back, and name tag, was facing her. Almost scarily, it seemed that Jong Kook’s reflexes would save him again as he managed to swing round in time. From the shock however, Ji Hyo tripped and fell forward with Jong Kook just catching her in time. Just like from a TV K – Drama, or any romantic movie in fact, Jong Kook managed to catch her perfectly, leading them two to have just about 2 inches from each other’s face – any closer and their lips would touch (which both Jong Kook and Ji Hyo didn’t mind in all honestly.) Just like the night they slow danced in Ji Hyo’s apartment, Jong Kook prayed that Ji Hyo couldn’t feel his quickening heartbeat which happened whenever Ji Hyo got too closer, or when she smiled, or when she got angry which was cute in Jong Kook’s eyes or when she did… anything – anything and everything that Ji Hyo did made Jong Kook’s heart beat quicker. Similarly, Ji Hyo’s heart quickened as thought about how it would feel to lay her head on Jong Kook’s firm chest and how he would embrace her into a hug if she was scared.

Each of them daydreaming, they both forgot that they were in the middle of filming until Jong Kook heard Ji Hyo whisper.

“Sorry oppa.”

“Huh? For what? You haven’t done –“ However, Ji Hyo had ripped Jong Kook’s name tag and that’s when he understood and pretended to be annoyed after Ji Hyo got up. “Yah!” Jong Kook shouted. Yet, watching her so happy and lifting the nametag like when athletes lifted their trophies made him so happy.

Filming the ending of the show was relatively straightforward – just filled with more jealousy from Jong Kook as Ji Hyo and Dong Wook celebrated their win with gold. After filming had wrapped, Ji Hyo made the excuse that she had filming the next day and went straight to her car. It was at that time which Jong Kook, who was currently returning his microphone, decided to run after her.

“Ji Hyo – yah!” Jong Kook ran after her but she only quickened her pace, making him upset as this confirmed his idea that Ji Hyo was in fact avoiding him. “Ji Hyo.” He said firmly, grabbing her wrist before she could get into the car. “Are you ignoring me?”

“No, I just want to sleep before filming tomorrow.”

“You said you can sleep until late.” Jong Kook questioned.

“I just need to be on my own for a while.”

“Is it something I said? You were fine with me until lunch.” Jong Kook pleaded desperately.

“Please oppa. Just let me go.” Ji Hyo asked, tears threatening to fall, complying to her request and let her go albeit reluctantly. And so for the fifth time in the space of 1 hour, Jong Kook’s heart broke yet again as he helplessly watched her car depart as, just like Ji Hyo (or by fate as they both copied each other’s actions) Jong Kook tried to suppress his own tears.

 

----------------

Word Count – 2334

A/N – Skinship – physical contact (normally between two people of the opposite )

 

Hello Runners! I hope you’ve all been doing well! If you celebrate it then Merry Christmas! Or if you celebrate it then Happy Hanukkah! Or if you don’t celebrate either or the two then just have a good time! With all that’s gone on in the world (and this year because let’s face it, it’s been a weird and terrible one) I want to reiterate the fact that no matter your gender, ual orientation, skin colour, race, disability and anything else (from what music you listen to to what foods you eat), it doesn’t matter and EVERYONE SHOULD BE TREATED EQUALLY! There’s enough hate in this world so there’s no point in adding more. J

 

Anyway, I’m sure that you’ve all heard but there’s been an update since about Running Man since I last posted – that is both Jong Kook and Ji Hyo have decided to donate their pay from Running Man until the show ends (in Feb). My greatest respect for the two because this epitomises Running Man at it’s finest. First, deciding to come back after they were blindsided and betrayed (think Kwang Soo’s betrayals but 10 times worse) and now donating almost 3 months pay. Considering it’s for a massively known TV show – that will be thousands which could be used for various things – I don’t know… Jong Kook could use it to get gym equipment at home ahaha? And Ji Hyo… I don’t know what she likes? Probably food and getting one really comfy bed so she can sleep for ages? :P Jokes aside, that money could be used for something else yet they’re not taking it. Whether it’s because they don’t want to take “dirty money” or it’s something else that we don’t know about – it shows their LOYALTY and RESPECT to the cast and crew members, something which SBS should learn from.

Since my last post, I’ve got questions (many from Tumblr) about why people are enraged about the whole issue? Aside from the fact that they backstabbed them I’ll explain my take… (clarification that this is purely my view and no – one else). Most of it was explained in the A/N of chapter 7 but it’s more so because nowadays, both in Korea and elsewhere, people get their information from the media – dramas, TV shows, movies, music etc. This means that no matter how young or old you are, you are presented with some sort of information from it. Whether that becomes a permanent viewpoint of yours is completely different. One example is ideal types – films and dramas portray the romantic and the bad boy turned good in one drama and viewers root for either or. More often than not, this goes onto formulating one’s ideal type.

Now, why the way SBS has handled everything annoys me is this; SBS is no doubt a massive broadcasting station with many popular TV shows and reflects Korea and the entertainment industry itself. The fact that they’ve blindsided two of their most beloved members on one of it’s most popular shows both domestically and internationally, says a lot about how it’s run and how little they value them internally. That’s why, with SBS being massively influential, disappoints me and thus leaves me having nothing more than respect to Jong Kook and Ji Hyo, not just as a fan but as a fellow human being – triumphing hate (I’m sure they do deep inside) by doing something better.

I'll keep the survey open (link in the last chapter) open until 31st Dec 23:59 GMT and post the results in the next chapter. 

Anyways, I thought I would clear this up because I’ve got this questions multiple times. I’ll update before New Years but until then… Be happy, safe and don’t catch a cold Runners!