Chapter 23

Delaying the Inevitable

Ji Hyo, wide – eyed, stood at her door unable to move, trying to comprehend what had just happened. Surely what had just happened didn’t really happen? There was no way in which Jong Kook had kissed her on the cheek this early on in the relationship. Yet the even more confusing thing was the fact that she liked it, that it made her grin like a madwoman so much that it made her touch her own cheek, eliciting a wide grin as she shut the door. Like in films, she squealed in joy just like a teenager who had finally received their first kiss.

“Oh Cheon Soo Yeon, you are so falling for this guy.” She sighed. It wasn’t necessarily a bad thing – if anything it showed how much she trusted him not to hurt her – just that she never expected to fall so quickly. Although, looking back it was entirely possible that she had fell for him before they started officially dating – the times when she would break out into a smile just by thinking about him, the times when she would turn to him for help with anything and the times when her heartbeat increased by a mile by the slightest of touches that came from Protect the Queen dodgeball. Instances like these were common of course, but not necessarily conscious to Ji Hyo – like how she would let Jong Kook pat her head but berated Gary for doing so, or the numerous times when she’d let him hold her waist to prevent her from falling even if she was standing perfectly on the muddy ground. It was of course impossible to mention the time that she really realised her true feelings for Jong Kook – the Pepero game*which they were forced to do, except with ice. It was of course a ploy by the rest of the cast to test their reactions, with Suk Jin strongly protesting against it leading fate to be the determinant when playing rock, paper, scissors – a chance for them after 5 years of somehow avoiding it – with fate being on the cast members’ side that day. They didn’t expect the ice to break not even half way through though, leading to disappointment in the other members, but a mixture of relief and disappointment for both Jong Kook and Ji Hyo. At that point, when all attention was on them and the atmosphere heightened, it was impossible for both Ji Hyo and Jong Kook to ignore the beating of their own hearts at the close proximity that they were in. Their eyes would meet before looking away quickly, only to increase the awkwardness, as they closed in together after adjusting their hats. It wasn’t deliberate per se to Jong Kook, he had just bent down to match Ji Hyo’s height so that she wouldn’t crane her neck as much. It just so happened that the ice stick broke at that particular time causing them to fail the mission.

 

Meanwhile, in his car driving back home, Jong Kook couldn’t get the scene out of his head. The kiss on the cheek was purely an action that happened on a whim, something unplanned yet something that he had wanted to do long before but had restrained for Ji Hyo’s sake out of chivalry. Yet, after leaving her house he had felt that something was missing, that he had to kiss her cheek to let her know how he truly felt about her, to let her know that he wasn’t planning on hurting her intentionally and to let her know that he was serious after having a crush on her for 7 years. He wanted Ji Hyo to know that this wasn’t a joke and that unlike previous relationships, the relationship wouldn’t end, no matter what hardships that would come when they eventually would have to publicly disclose their relationship, and the consequent negative comments that would come with that. Unlike the past, where it was impossible to protect her from absolutely everything, he could at least protect her now to the best of his ability and he wanted Ji Hyo to know that. So, he retraced his steps hurriedly when he got to the ground floor, knowing that if he didn’t take the chance then that he’d never take it before making it to her door again. His heart was of course beating like crazy and even more so when she had answered the door. She had looked perfect having just washed her face, consequently having no make – up, and her the edges of her hair wet, making her look more irresistible to Jong Kook. The change of clothes didn’t go unnoticed to Jong Kook of course – shorts that came halfway past her thigh, a low cut old t – shirt that draped off her right shoulder informed Jong Kook of her being braless, causing him to gulp in nervousness. Suddenly, images of the whipped cream fight that happened a mere few hours ago flashed through his mind, making him contemplate his own actions again. Her blank expression, often seen on Running Man and thus giving her the befitting nickname of Blank Ji, was of course cute and just made Jong Kook want to protect her. So, he subsequently placed his hand on her neck as he pulled her in – not in an aggressive manner mind you – as he planted a kiss on her cheek, immediately running away before she could react, both cheeks flushing brightly, something that was rarely seen by others. Once he’d got inside his car he let out the biggest grin before turning on the car stereo and driving off, not caring that he had gotten his own lyrics wrong.

 

The next day came and both Jong Kook and Ji Hyo rose, albeit reluctantly and although Ji Hyo did get up later… at 1130… 15 minutes before she had to meet her manager outside her apartment to go to the filming site.

“Dammit.” She groaned as she rolled out of bed as she changed her clothes, washed her face and quickly made a smoothie to drink on the way. She had just made it outside her apartment, after thanking the security guard and receiving letters as usual, when she was faced with her manager waiting with a less than satisfactory expression on his face inside the car.

“I know I’m late, sorry!” She puffed as she got into the car.

“Yeah noona… I waited for 30 minutes.” Her manager grumbled.

“I’ll buy you lunch one day.” She promised, knowing how much that he liked to eat, settling that case promptly.

The drive was like any other drive to a filming site for Ji Hyo – the sound of the radio filled the car as she read over her script for the day. Or she would choose to sleep, depending on what her body needed. Like any other day, she had been going through her script for the day, the one that she had practiced with Jong Kook the day previous, when she received a message from Dong Wook, asking for her to bring some painkillers as he had a headache. Yet, it wasn’t that which caught her attention – it was a text from her boyfriend that did.

Morning beautiful (although knowing you you’ll read this message past noon). I just wanted you to know that you mean the world to me, even if it only has been a couple of days since we were official. I care about you more than anything – yes, I would skip going to the gym to spend time with you (although eating ramyeon is a stretch too far). Everything about you makes me happy – your smile, your personality, your y looks, the way you talk to me – everything you could imagine. I will always fight for you and us because I love this relationship. You are an amazing person inside and out and I am so lucky to have you by my side, as a fellow Running Man member, friend, dongsaeng and girlfriend. Good luck for filming (I know you’ll ace it as usual) and I’ll see you tomorrow hopefully!

Upon reading the text Ji Hyo broke out into an uncharacteristic smile, not unnoticed by her manager who sent a questioning glance to her.

“Something good happen noona?”
“Maybe.” She smirked.

“Care to share?”
“When the time is right.” She decided, not wanting everyone to know about their relationship for now. She wanted to enjoy their relationship for now – after 7 years of skirting round each other – until the time came when both Jong Kook and Ji Hyo were comfortable with letting their friends and family know.

Her manager nodded, knowing that Ji Hyo was a private person, and that she’d talk to him if necessary. He had been her manager for just over 5 years yet in that time he felt like a brother to her – he often went to visit her family with her during holidays if he couldn’t go home for practical reasons and often found himself protecting her, standing up for her when drama schedule was too tight or when she had got hurt but still filmed due to pressures to complete the required shots to be able to air an episode the next week.

Upon arriving at the filming site, which was in Yeonhui – dong*, Ji Hyo was greeted by Hong Da and Hye Min, who ushered her to the dressing room in a rush.

“What’s with the secrecy?” Ji Hyo asked confused as she sat in her chair.

“I want details unni.” Hong Da whispered, curling iron in one hand and a brush in another, meeting Ji Hyo’s eyes in the mirror, an expression seen by interrogators in police dramas. Ji Hyo would have guffawed in disbelief if it wasn’t for the straight face that both the girls held. Hye Min stood beside her with primer in one hand, ready to apply it on her.

“What of?”
“Where were you yesterday?”

“At home.”

“Specifically during late morning yesterday, around 1100?” Hong Da pressed.

“I met up with Kwang Soo to buy a present for his younger sister.”

“Don’t leave anything out unni.” Hye Min warned.

“What do you want to know?” Ji Hyo chuckled in disbelief, knowing what her dongsaengs really wanted.

“Who else were you with?”

“If you know already why ask me?”
“We want to hear it from you directly.”
Ji Hyo rolled her eyes at what she saw as two teenage girls looking for gossip from a good friend. “I was with Jong Kook oppa.” She spilled, wanting to put an end to the two girls’ curiosity. “How did you guys know? I didn’t message you yesterday.”

“There’s the wonderful world of SNS.” Hong Da chuckled, as she curled Ji Hyo’s hair. “It was literally all over my feed when I searched your name. Seriously, it was crazy.” She rambled off, talking about hashtags and photos that were posted – something about cropping.

“Are you dating Jong Kook oppa unni?” Hye Min interrupted, outright asking Ji Hyo. The three of them knowing each other for more than 10 years meant that they knew what the others were thinking and so hiding a secret from each other became almost impossible, much like how the Running Man members knew each other. The girls had spent 10 plus years working beside each other, being with each other overseas, and playing hide and seek in the hotel room, much to the annoyance of Suk Jin, whose room was directly beneath them, and Kwang Soo who was in the next room. The girls also confided in each other – giving comfort to Ji Hyo after spending almost an entire day in an all-male cast – and Hong Da and Hye Min comforted Ji Hyo by buying some fried chicken and eating it in Ji Hyo’s car during the break after hiding it from Jong Kook, which was the trickiest task of all. The amount of times in which they bonded over fried chicken and soft drinks (because obviously Ji Hyo was a professional and never drunk alcohol on set), crying and bawling after listening to each other’s concerns and then Hye Min hurriedly trying her best to cover Ji Hyo’s swollen eyes, trying her best to remove evidence that she was crying less than five minutes ago.

“Wh—what?” Ji Hyo stuttered, clearly taken aback, causing her to miss the knowing look shared between Hong Da and Hye Min.

“No point in denying it to us. We’ve known you for too long.”

“I –“ Ji Hyo was going to lie but immediately decided against it when she met Hye Min and Hong Da’s glare in the mirror. “Ok yes-“

“I knew it!” Both Hye Min and Hong Da high fived each other in victory, although it wasn’t much of a victory when it was so easily noticeable by the girls.
“But you can’t tell anyone.” Ji Hyo hastily hushed the two girls, afraid that someone would come in amongst the commotion.

“Of course unni.” Both chorused but smiled upon seeing Ji hyo break out into a wide grin, something that was rare for her. She rarely smiled that widely when it was something to do with men yet it seemed, like fate, that Jong Kook was the only one who could do that. He was the one that covered up her insecurities and loved her for her imperfections, not that Ji Hyo knew so much about the loving part.

“How did he ask you out?”
“I’ve always been curious of his style.” The two questions one after another, almost simultaneously, yet more emphasis was placed on the second remark, made by Hye Min. The two girls of course knew Jong Kook, although not nearly as well as Ji Hyo did, yet was always curious as to his dating style – would he be the romantic that only had eyes for his girl or would he be the type to be indifferent.

“It was romantic, like it was from a movie.” Ji Hyo gushed, the scenes running through her mind. She described it vividly, not forgetting the minute details, from the petals and candles to Jong Kook’s rendition of “I’m Fortunate”. Ji Hyo kept speaking as Hye Min and Hong Da’s mouth oohed and aahed at the amount of effort that Jong Kook went to trying to create the perfect way to ask Ji Hyo out (finally) and the perfect first date. “I find myself just smiling for no reason randomly – when I look outside the window in the car, or when I’m washing the dishes or sorting out laundry.” Ji Hyo exhaled, as she rambled on about Jong Kook, much to the delight of her dongsaengs.

“Sounds like you’re really happy unni.” Hye Min noted, finishing the last of Ji Hyo’s make – up. The director only required light make – up but it took double the time to apply due to Ji Hyo constantly moving and speaking.

“I am.” She smiled in agreement, content with everything that surrounded her – family, friends, career and finally a relationship.

 

----------------------------

Word Count: 2506

A/N: Pepero game – a game where two people (normally the opposite ) have to bite through a Pepero (cookie stick dipped in chocolate), leaving the smallest bit of the cookie stick left. The idea is that the closer and closer you get, the more chance you have of kissing the other person. It’s a popular game in South Korea, especially on variety shows. 

Yeonhui – dong – a neighbourhood in Seodaemun district, less than an hour away from Ilsan.

 

Hey Runners! How are you all?

So a lot of people have told me that Ji Hyo’s hair stylist is Hong Da Hee. The reason why I wrote Hong Da is because on Instagram and on shows her name is always referred to as Hong Da.

 

I haven’t seen the most recent ep (the one that aired on the 2nd) but I’ve been seeing loads of comments – more specifically something to do with the editing and sharing of the scenes with Ji Hyo? Can anyone care to elaborate since I won’t be able to watch until at least Friday?

Anyway, I’m on a bit of a roll in terms of writing recently so I’ve written some more and hope to get them out soon! I start my internshop next week so forgive me if I don't update as regularly after that.

Just a reminder that my tumblr is spartaceistheace so feel free to drop me a message any time!

Until next time!