Chapter 7

Delaying the Inevitable

Oblivious to the conversation carried out by the rest of the members, Jong Kook and Ji Hyo happily enjoyed their lunch, glad to get a break from filming such a physically exhausting show. Despite being on the show for 6 years, the physicality of it never got better.

“What are you doing tomorrow Ji Hyo – yah?” Jong Kook asked, planning to spend some time with her.

“I’ve got filming for the drama tomorrow. Why?”

“Just wondering. How’s it going?”
“Good. It’s the wedding scene with Dong Wook tomorrow” Ji Hyo beamed. She had to admit that she felt conflicted about filming wedding scenes. One on hand, it gave her a chance to dress up and unleash her inner feminine side that was rarely seen on Running Man. On the other hand, it meant that she’d always ask herself as to when, or if, she would ever get married. She had found her man, in fact he was sitting next to her, but the steps towards getting married would always be tentative. A close friend had told her that love was simple – you’d fight to the ends of the earth and never let that person go – but Ji Hyo had just wished that the politics involved with her being an actress was more simple. Her being an actress meant that people had expectations of her and she had an image to keep as the “Monday Couple” for Running Man. She had to admit that it was nice at first, it meant that she eventually got to solidify her role on the show, but she had spoken to Gary and they settled for a purely platonic relationship. However, despite settling it between the two people involved, fans began supporting them as an official couple, leading the two to be supported as a couple wherever they went. Thus, arguably inevitably, it became harder to date freely, in fear of backlash from fans.

With Ji Hyo deep in thought, she missed Jong Kook’s reaction. Jong Kook had choked on the rice when he had heard that Ji Hyo would be filming a wedding scene. However, he maintained his composure before Ji Hyo came back round from her thoughts and instead let his anger radiate through his fingers, gripping the cup tightly as he drank, leaving fingerprints on the metal cup.

“Are you two dating?” Jong Kook asked bitterly.

“Huh?”

“I said, are you two dating?” Jong Kook repeated, this time more slowly, meeting Ji Hyo’s eyes.

“No oppa! If I –“
“Then why are you so happy that you’re filming a wedding scene tomorrow then?”
“Because filming doesn’t start until 1330 so I get to lie in…” Ji Hyo trailed off as she looked at Jong Kook, shocked at his mini outburst.

“Oh.” Jong Kook simply replied, embarrassed at his loss of control in front of Ji Hyo. He was known to be a man who kept his emotions in check, no matter what. 

“Were you jealous oppa?” Ji Hyo asked nonchalantly, as she took one of Jong Kook’s side dishes before putting in . Jong Kook however, was stunned. It wasn’t that he was jealous… right? More curious? He couldn’t answer neither could he match Ji Hyo’s questioning eyes.

“You were! Kim Jong –“ Jong Kook put his hand on to stop her from speaking. Jong Kook panicked before releasing Ji Hyo’s mouth, apologising through his eyes.

“I’m not jealous! Why would I be? I’ve known you for 6 years so if I liked you I would have already asked you out by now.” Jong Kook deadpanned, trying to get out of the situation. However, he didn’t notice Ji Hyo’s eyes gloss over as she felt her heart sink to the ground. She felt like her one – sided love went all to waste which was even worse as they had become really close and would still continue to see each other weekly. The fact that she had told all her secrets to him during her darkest times and had lowered her defences and cried in front of him made the seemingly rejection more painful.

“Yeah.” Ji Hyo simply whispered, trying her best not to let her emotions get the better of her. They sat in an uncomfortable silence which Jong Kook noticed but Jong Kook ate his food. Ji Hyo on the other hand picked at her food, replaying Jong Kook’s brazen comment in her head.

“Yah, why aren’t you eating?” Jong Kook asked, concerned at Ji Hyo’s sudden lack of appetite. Ji Hyo sat there silently, not replying. “Ji Hyo – yah.” Jong Kook asked again, shaking her arm. This caught the attention of Dong Wook and the other members who carefully observed the scene unfolding in front of them.

“Ji Hyo? You ok?” Dong Wook asked as he sensed that something was wrong with the way Ji Hyo was behaving.

“I’m full. Thanks for the meal.” She bowed as she got up and took her tray with Jong Kook’s gaze following her. Dong Wook got up at the same time and followed suit, hurrying after her.

“Hey what’s wrong Ji Hyo?” Dong Wook grabbed Ji Hyo’s wrist and regretted it because what he witnessed was his best friend nearly in tears so he naturally hugged her tightly as possible. “Take your time.” He whispered as Ji Hyo quietly sobbed into his coat.

Meanwhile, the rest of the members talked to Jong Kook. “Yah Jong Kook – ah, what’d you say?” Jae Suk asked, concerned about his favourite younger sibling.

“Nothing!” Jong Kook protested, racking his brain as to what made Ji Hyo walk away.  

“Think Jong Kook – ah. She wouldn’t just leave with a half-eaten tray.”
“Yeah hyung please, I don’t like noona looking so sad the rest of the day.” Kwang Soo grumbled.

“Wow, you guys really get along.” Shin Hye commented in awe. Despite being Jong Kook’s partner for the entire day, she couldn’t help but notice that he would always look towards Ji Hyo and also wondered why Ji Hyo got up and left like that. She had witnessed beforehand, when she had come on as a guest before, of the Running Man’s tight knit bond, which came across when she occasionally watched the show, but seeing it again in real life was heart-warming. The bonds between the cast rivalled that of a biological family. Despite the occasional arguments, which came naturally when filming with each other every week, Shin Hye knew that the relationships evolved as they suffered the hardships of low ratings before Running Man became popular as each member fit perfectly into their unspoken role in the family. Despite being picked upon and known famously as the “Race Starter”, Suk Jin took the role of the eldest perfectly, protecting and consoling his younger members accordingly and preventing any arguments that came about of filming a physically exhausting show every week. Jae Suk, despite his prankster persona on the show, was the member that would give the best advice and helped to look out for them, especially Ji Hyo, feeling sorry for her as she would be subjected to the same physical hardships as the other members and would often be pushed aside when a pretty female guest came along. Jong Kook was a man of loyalty and cared very much for his fellow members despite his tough image that often mean that he had to portray as the competing team which always left him feeling guilty to an extent. Gary was always considered a part of the Running Man family. His role came across as a man who didn’t know much but this was in fact his charm but was forgotten when it came to problems to do with work and personal problems. Haha came across as childish and as a playboy, a trait which in fact bought great laughter to the show, especially in times of fatigue which was normal when filming an exhausting show which required every ounce of their bodies when playing the Name Tag Elimination Game. Ji Hyo, despite being arguably pushed aside when female guests came on, was an important member to the show. Her persona who wouldn’t let the male members of the cast overpower her, both mentally and physically, was admirable to all of them and production crew. Lastly, the maknae*, Kwang Soo, was loved by everyone despite being picked on most of the time. Despite his pabo* character on TV, Kwang Soo was trusted with any concerns that the older members had and would often entrust him with them. He empathised with them and offered advice.  

 

-----------------------

Word Count – 1430

A/N – Maknae – the youngest member in a group

Pabo – idiot/dumb

 

I’ve finished all my exams!! (Albeit it terribly probably ahahaha). But I was meant to upload this yesterday but because of the news of Jong Kook and Ji Hyo’s departure and surrounding controversy I decided to add the last paragraph.

The last paragraph is mainly in response to the recent news – RM will be ending in Feb 2017 – and I wanted to highlight Running Man as a family. Because in my, and a lot of other people’s, eyes Running Man is a big family and will forever be 7012.

In my view, I genuinely do not believe that this has anything with the production crew directly but instead on someone more in charge. Therefore, please do not send hate to these people. I could possibly, stretching it, understand the idea of reformatting a show BUT I do not believe in the way that Jong Kook and Ji Hyo’s departure from the show was handled. How could you only tell one person who’s leaving two days via text and not even tell the other at all (i.e finding out via news articles) when they’ve worked with you for 6+ years?! The relationships of Running Man, between cast and crew, has always been famously referred to as a family yet not telling them contradicts this. Even more, saying that it’s due to them willing to focus on their individual roles is unprofessional and contradicts them saying it’s a family. The members and the crew have always worked hard in spite of being ill (Ji Hyo especially has been seen to be coughing/having a cold), having exhausting schedules beside it (notably Ji Hyo missing the SNSD episode), wanting to quit before (Suk Jin, Ji Hyo and Jong Kook mentioned it before but I’m sure all of them have thought this at one point or another), getting hate from others (I won’t name who but there has been) and exhausting themselves physically and mentally (many examples can be given but I guess the most notable one is Jong Kook and Gary with their respective injuries (Jong Kook posted about his back on IG and Gary mentioned his disc problems on his last ep)) and many more. I’m not going to say that I am angry at SBS but more disappointed in the fact that they abandoned the thing that made Running Man famous – their loyalty and family relationship with one another.

On a side note – my deepest respect for Ji Hyo and Jong Kook for agreeing to stay and continue filming the episodes until the last episode. It must have been incredibly hard and the fact that they put their relationship with their members and fans first truly shows how they put others first – not the first time (E.g Ji Hyo giving her chicken to Haha as he was afraid in Ep 147). And my deepest thoughts also go to the other members and anyone close to them and Ji Hyo and Jong Kook. They must have been incredibly shocked and hurt by all this as well. All we can do now is fully support them, keep the memories from the last 6 years alive and to keep supporting them in their future activities.

 

Anyway, rant over. I wanted to ask, in light of the news that Running Man will be ending in 2017, if you wanted me to continue this fanfiction or make it shorter and finish it as soon as possible? I’d really appreciate it if you could take literally 5 mins (if that) to answer your answer on this survey. Whichever with the most votes will obviously win and I’ll let you know in the next chapter.

https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/DFL5MZH

Until next time Runners!