Chapter 16

Delaying the Inevitable

Song of the Day – Kim Jong Kook “One Man”
곁에 내밀며 닿을거리에
자신보다 아끼는 같이 내가 있어

(By your side I put my hand out and
at a path were you can always reach me
I, who cherishes you more than myeslf, am with you)

 

Jong Kook stood there speechless as he looked from fixing the cuffs of his suit. Ji Hyo stood in the hallway in a beautiful blue dress which hung to her curves perfectly. Her simple sterling silver necklace, a graduation gift from her parents, sat upon her neckline whilst her wavy hair rested comfortably just past her shoulders. In the light, Ji Hyo’s minimal make – up was apparent as she settled on shimmery eyeshadow, eyeliner, mascara, slight foundation and blusher. It was only really evident because of the light.

“Urm... You look- I mean.” Jong Kook stuttered before catching his breath. “You look stunning Ji Hyo – yah.” Jong Kook sincerely complimented, smiling widely.

“You don’t look too bad yourself.” Ji Hyo smirked as she took in Jong Kook’s clothes. He was stood in a traditional black suit that, even though they didn’t know what the other would wearing, complimented Ji Hyo’s dress perfectly. It was at those times that it felt as if the galaxy was pushing these two be a couple with such telepathy really solidifying them as “star – crossed lovers”. 

“Oh these are for you.” Jong Kook remembered, handing over the bouquet of flowers – a mixture of red roses and white lilies – which Ji Hyo thanked him for before putting them in a vase in her kitchen. The couple made their way into the car as Jong Kook drove them. Conversation was filled with Jong Kook reassuring Ji Hyo that he knew where he was going as well as switching between Ji Hyo’s drama, Running Man filming the day after and their forthcoming filming in Jeju Island. It was also filled with Jong Kook complimenting Ji Hyo time and time again – it was half truthful but also half because he loved to see her blush each time. Equally, Ji Hyo pretended to have trouble with adjusting her seat making Jong Kook reach over, enjoying the view of his muscles which were emphasised by his shirt (his jacket was taken off for the drive). The drive to the unknown place took about 40 minutes – relatively quick due to it being the evening on a Sunday in which most people were at home with their families.

Jong Kook had gotten off fast as he fixed his jacket before opening Ji Hyo’s door. “Thank you oppa.” She smiled as she looked around trying to gauge whereabouts she was but coming up with no answer. All she saw were stores that were shut for the night and houses were filled with the warm laughter of families who were all probably sat around the TV. Jong Kook had taken Ji Hyo’s small clutch bag and guided her to the building, laughing at Ji Hyo’s continuous questions about where they were going. However, his smiled quickly turned into a frown when he saw that the elevator was out of order.

“You’ve got to be kidding me.” Jong Kook grumbled.

“Anything wrong oppa?” Ji Hyo had asked from behind him.

“The elevator’s out of order.” Jong Kook sighed, not even bothering to hide his disappointment.

“It’s fine oppa. We can just walk up right?”
“We’re going to the roof Ji Hyo – yah.” He told her meekly, looking at her to gauge her reaction. It was true how he had persuaded a good friend, the owner of this small and recently refurbished building, to give his access to the roof for the night before it was open to the next day for public viewing. He hadn’t however, imagined that the elevator wouldn’t be working and that they;d have to climb up 8 flights of stairs. In Jong Kook’s eyes, this was by far the worst state to a date that he could have.

“We’ll just have to go up slowly then.”
“What? No I’ll carry you up.” Jong Kook strongly refuted, not wanting his girlfriend after 7 years to be walking up that amount of stairs in heels on their first date.

“And hurt your back? I heard from Kwang Soo that your back had gotten worse recently.” Ji Hyo said sternly, making Jong Kook sigh – he hated how close Kwang Soo was with Ji Hyo sometimes.

“But –“
“No buts. Plus I could do with the exercise today.

“You’re so stubborn.” Jong kook huffed but smiled as they made their way up the stairs. Ji Hyo had to admit that this wasn’t the most conventional start to a date but was content as the couple kept joking with each other as they slowly made their way up. Of course Jong Kook had told Ji Hyo to take off her heels but Ji Hyo had refused – her self – pride stopping her.

The way up was quicker than both had thought as Ji Hyo went to open the door, she stopped at the sound of Jong Kook’s voice.

“So the start didn’t go to plan but at least let me give you the element of surprise.” He smiled as Ji Hyo nodded, taking her hand off the doorknob. Jong Kook quickly peeked through the door first to make sure everything was set.

“Oppa I’m sure that I’ll like it.” Ji Hyo soothed, feeling how nervous Jong Kook was. To her it was ironic that the mighty commander, whom she was used to seeing on Running Man and had virtually no fears, was this nervous in front of her. It was weird yet romantic.

“Well I guess I’ll find out now.” Jong Kook took Ji Hyo’s hand before opening the door. The cool evening Seoul air hit Ji Hyo yet it was refreshing. Candles in their respective glass holders, like when he had first asked Ji Hyo out, illuminated the ground and greatly added to the romantic atmosphere. The candles guided Ji Hyo’s eyes towards the table that was set, covered with a white tablecloth with two plates of food and two champagne glasses on top. Further along from that and Ji Hyo gasped at the view. The roof overlooked the night skyline of Seoul – giving perfect view to the Han river and the various tall buildings. The location was in the centre of Seoul enough to be able to get a sense of the hustle and bustle whilst it was far enough not to be disturbed by the numerous cars.

“Oppa this is –“ Ji Hyo spoke, lost for words. She had known that Jong Kook was meticulous but had never been on a date so thought out like this. For her, everything was perfect – the view, the food that was waiting to be devoured, the soft music playlist consisting of her favourite songs, the evening temperature which was just right and most importantly, the company.

“Do you like it?” Jong Kook asked, hesitantly. He was known to have great tact yet he really at reading women, in particular Ji Hyo, which would make any bystander shake their head in frustration.

“It’s perfect.” She whispered, causing Jong Kook to breathe a sigh of relief. They both sat down and began to eat the starter – a bowl of tomato soup and some bread. “It’s delicious oppa.” She beamed, savouring the mix of the sweetness of the tomato and the saltines of the butter spread on the bread.

“I’d love to take credit but I didn’t make this.” Jong Kook laughed. “I managed to rope in one of my high school friends who’s a chef to make dinner for tonight.”

“No wonder it’s so delicious.”

“Ji Hyo – yah, thank you for agreeing to be my girlfriend.” Jong Kook changed the mood to something more serious, as he held Ji Hyo’s left hand as she continued to eat.

“Why wouldn’t I oppa? Although, I’m surprised it took you so long.”
“Why?” He choked on his food, thrown off by the unexpected comment.

“You’re normally quick – witted and you help Kwang Soo with his relationships.”
“Until Jaesuk hyung messes it up.” He grumbled. “I didn’t think you had feelings for me.”

“I made it obvious though.” She chuckled. “Me saying that I was tired or ill for dinners after filming was a complete lie and the amount of times I got jealous when you were partnered with female guests…” She trailed off, realising she sounded [pathetic for getting jealous over someone who wasn’t her boyfriend at the time. Jong Kook however, found this cute. He knew that Ji Hyo was extremely protective over her friends and family but it was somehow different this time.

“Finished?” Jong Kook noted as he signalled for the waiter to come over. Ji Hyo was curious as to who it would be but laughed when she saw that it was Gap Jin, dressed in a suit with a bow tie.

“Did he rope you into this?” Ji Hyo chuckled as he met Gap Jin’s less than amused face.

“Of course.” Gap Jin answered but was met with a stern glare from Jong Kook.

“You sure are working hard these days Gap Jin – ah.” Ji Hyo empathised.

“Thanks noona.”
“We’d like our main please.” Jong Kook requested though his teeth. He didn’t like how they were indirectly ganging up on him, causing both Ji Hyo and Gap Jin to chuckle.

“Coming right up.” Gap Jin left after winking at Ji Hyo.

“Don’t tell me you were jealous.” She tested, finding the situation amusing.

“Of course not. I know you’re my girlfriend but you two get along too well.”
“Almost a given when I’ve known him for 7 years.”
“But you’re closer to me right?” He asked, as if a kid asking for clarification.

“Of course.” Ji Hyo replied, causing Jong Kook to have a smug look on his face which Ji Hyo observed and shook her head. “You’re literaly a weird human being – you have the body of a body builder ut the mind of a child sometimes.”
“I can change for you if you want.”
“Never oppa. I like you for you and decided to be your girlfriend for you – even if you do name your
dumbells.”

“I do not!”
“Uh huh.”
“For main we have hamburger and chips that hyung said you were craving and for hyung you have chicken salad.” Gap Jin plated the food whilst doing his best not to laugh as he explained them. He had specifically been told by Jong Kook to keep a straight face as if he was serving a queen – about 100 times.

“Of course you’d get a salad.” Ji Hyo chuckled as she took a big bite of her hamburger.

“It’ healthy.” Jong Kook shrugged, as if it was the norm for everyone to eat salad.

“Oppa try some! It’s literally heaven in your mouth.” Ji Hyo offered despite Jong Kook leaning back. He never ate fried food. Ever. But there Ji Hyo was, offering a piece of her hamburger with her puppy eyes and so couldn’t resist. He did what many people had tried but failed to do. He had taken a bit of Ji Hyo’s hamburger. It would be a lie to if he didn’t admit that it was delicious and if he was stretching it, he’d admit that it being fried was even nicer. “Well?”
“Delicious.” He mumbled.

“Sorry what was that?” Ji Hyo pushed. It wasn’t everyday that Jong Kook admitted that fried food was nice and Ji Hyo simply took the opportunity.

“It’s delicious Ji Hyo – yah.” He admitted, albeit reluctantly. Yet Ji Hyo’s bright smile made up for it – even though Jong Kook’s pride was momentarily hurt, it was immediately lifted after seeing her smile. “You should smile more you know. You look prettiest when you smile.” Jong Kook commented as Ji Hyo blushed.

“Stop.”
“You do. I mean you look beautiful all the time but especially so when you smile. Everyone I know says that, even the Running Man members.”
“Thank you oppa.” Ji Hyo muttered shyly as she concentrated on eating her food. Despite hearing that she looked pretty, she still felt embarrassed ny her comments. Ji Hyo was also a girl and so had moments when she had felt insecure. It wasn’t so much about her weight – she could easily lose or gain it when needed – but it was more that she knew beauty was subjective so everyone’s opinions would differ. Adding to the fact that she wasn’t getting any younger and the fact that society’s definition of beauty kept changing, Ji Hyo’s concerns weren’t without reason.

“If you’re not comfortable with how you look Ji Hyo – yah, remember that you will always look beautiful to at least 12 people.” Jong Kook reassured, as if he had read Ji Hyo’s mind. Ji Hyo cocked her hair in confusion. “Your mother, father, brother, sister, Running Man members and your bofriend, biggest fan and muscular brother.” Jong Kook listed, putting down each finger as he went by.

“Thank you oppa.” Ji Hyo thanked as Jong Kook leant over to wipe a single tear that trickled down her cheek.

“Never forget that you are my girlfriend – the most amazing, beautiful, kind and ninja woman that I could have.” Jong Kook whispered as he clasped his hands with hers, drawing meaningless patterns on her hand.

“Oppa I… just thank you for everything as my brother, friend and boyfriend.”
The rest of the meal went by pleasingly with both Jong Kook and Ji Hyo engaging in conversation, both laughing with each other as they touched upon old filming incidents whilst filming Running Man and how they were both slow – witted with each other’s feelings.

Gap Jin had served their desserts and tea, both that it was delicious, as the zingy lemon sparked sour taste buds whilst the ice cream sparked sweet ones, creating a perfect blend of sweet and sour. The couple had both thanked Gap Jin and Jong Kook’s friend, both wishing the couple a pleasant evening before departing, as Gap Jin agreed to pick Jong Kook up at his place the next morning.

“What do you think the members’ reactions will be?” Ji Hyo asked absentmindedly. However, Jong Kook had detected her nervousness and understood her because he knew how much they meant to her.

“They’ll probably accept it but I reckon Kwang Soo and Jae Suk hyung will be most protective.”
“Kwang Soo will just be unnecessarily protective.” Ji Hyo grumbled. It wasn’t that she didn’t like it or understood it, more that she felt that Kwang Soo’s protectiveness was too much. On the other hand, Jong Kook always understood Kwang Soo’s protectiveness – Kwang Soo would often call Jong Kook early in the morning, without Ji Hyo’s knowledge of course, expressing how worried he was about his noona – often citing that he was worried about how she looked so tired or seemed to be overworking herself. Calls were particularly frequent when Ji Hyo was filming dramas or films but were occasional even when she wasn’t. He, like all the other members, knew that Ji Hyo was susceptible to stress and sore throats, and her being a perfectionist and having a fear of letting others down contributed greatly.

“It’s only because you’re his favourite noona.” Jong Kook chuckled.

“True.” Ji Hyo sighed. For once, the couple payed attention to the background music and when Jong Kook recognised Couple by Sechkies, he immediately had an idea, one which wouldn’t be foreign to the pair.

“Would you care to join me for a dance?” Jong Kook had stood up, offering his hand, whilst putting on his poshest voice as Ji Hyo laughed at the change.

“I’d love to.” Ji Hyo accepted, putting her hands in his. Somehow, it moulded perfectly as Jong Kook’s big hands clasped together with Ji Hyo’s small hands. Holding hands wasn’t a new occurrence to them – they had held hands plenty of times whilst filming Running Man – but this had a special meaning to both of them. Ji Hyo followed Jong Kook to the middle of the roof as Jong Kook twirled her towards him before settling his hands on the small of her back whilst one stayed clasped with hers. They both slow danced as they stared into each other’s eyes, no words necessary to express the joyfulness of the moment.

“Ji Hyo – yah…”

“Yes oppa?” Then Jong Kook felt something wet hit his shoulder. As he looked up, his brows furrowed at the dark clouds that had formed above him during the dinner. They furrowed even more as the rain started to fall harder as Jong Kook debated what to do next. He had two options – either find shelter so that Ji Hyo wouldn’t be cold and get ill or he could continue to dance and sing a song, knowing that the playlist would soon end.

 

--------------------------------------------------

Word Count: 2771

A/N: Hey Runners! Hope you’ve been well! So I want to get to know you guys a bit better, so what music do you listen to? And which songs do you recommend? I’m in a desperate need of new songs being added to my phone/iTunes so I need recommendations… Comment with your picks and I’ll reply. Of course you can do this on my Tumblr blog as well! (just type in Spartaceistheace on Tumblr and it should come up). Of course, if you have any other questions then feel free to ask plus any requests (requests are open!).

I’m going to Korea in April 😃 with family so I’ll probably only update once or twice during the time I’m there but I’ll definitely try and update as much as possible – I can definitely promise that I’m spending my free time (e.g on the bus, waiting for lectures etc) writing the fic on my phone. I’ll most likely use the long plane ride to write more as well so that I can just upload it when I get there.

However, that being said, I have exams to revise for the end of April when I get back and I’m ill so please try and understand if I don’t update so regularly. :/ I’ve been getting ill a lot recently :/ A trip to the doctors is probably in order…
Anyway, as always, stay healthy and happy Runners!
PS Has anyone seen the latest episode of Running Man (episode 342)? If so, how did you find it?