Chapter 2 – The Dragons of the Isle

The Dragon Prince (temp hiatus)

 

The hatchlings were acting up today, well if truth be told they were always acting up but it appeared that they were doing so with far more effort than normal and no one could figure out as to why they were. Not even the bright red Chanyeol could figure out what was causing the pair to go so hyper and normally he was in on whatever crazy game or story that Chen had taught them this week so Suho knew exactly where to place the blame.

But today, Chen was off patrolling the western side of the Island where there were plenty of mountains that he could safely disperse his electrical energy before he shocked everyone a million more times and Chanyeol was in his cave in the deepest of possible sleeps after he had spent the evening awake on guard duty.

There was the option that Baekhyun could be the one who had set the pair off but Suho doubted that as he was taking his third mud bath of the day after having been splashed by the terrible twosome. Which had resulted in the grey dragon throwing a strop the size of which could have only been contained by some extraordinarily excessive work so no one complained in the slightest when he took himself off for yet another bath. They all had enough trouble looking after the youngsters today and adding a diva dragon to the mix was not going to help anyone.

Kyungsoo had gone on his patrol at Suho’s request without even the slightest of grumbles which wasn’t surprising and Yixing was currently trying to brew a potion in order to attempt to calm the two hyperactive dragons down but Suho was pretty sure that they stood a snowballs chance in hell of getting the pair to drink it. Xiumin would probably like that analogy because he was the only snowball that could survive in hell but even his everlasting patience was wearing thin as the source of everyone’s irritating came leaping down from the top of some rather very high up overhanging ledges to drop straight onto the frost dragons back with happy sounding coos and yitters that were common in hatchlings.

Granted Tao was a fair bit older than Sehun and really should have been far more willing to communicate openly with them but the onyx black dragon had reverted into the childish way of speaking all day and seemed to be content to plot madness and mayhem with Sehun. Not that the youngest of the dragons really needed any opportunity to cause madness and mayhem, he did it regardless because he just seemed to be an eternal troublemaker who would not settle down in the slightest. Suho blamed it on his beautiful rainbow scales that shimmered so brightly in the sunlight and caused hundreds of little rainbows to appear everywhere. Sehun loved to chase around after them, seemingly unware that they were actually part of himself but until the other started to mature they were pretty much going to be in for his constant craziness.

At least at the moment Suho knew where they were, though why they had decided to dive bomb Xiumin was a little bit of a mystery to the water dragon as the frost dragon was not typically the one who would give into their childish games and wants. So it was not surprise not a minute later when typically, Xiumin got annoyed at the pair who were trying to get him to play fight and took an angry sounding snapping bite towards them, that Tao and Sehun were cuddling up to him with frightened little whines and pathetic sounding whimpers.

However, Suho was not in the mood and he sighed, “You both knew exactly what would happen if you tried to attack Xiumin, so it’s your own fault.”

“But Mama!” Tao pouted towards him, using those big adorable eyes that were oh so hard to resist most of the time, “We just wanted to play.”

Groaning Suho shook his head, “I know that but you have to remember your manners and ask fir...Sehun, come back here and leave that bird alone! It does not want to be friends with you.”

Pouting the rainbow dragon plodded back towards Suho and flopped down with a huff but it wasn’t a second later that his eyes were caught by a butterfly and he raised his head with an excited sound.

This time though, Suho was prepared and he nipped at Sehun’s ear, “No. You don’t go chasing butterflies. You just sit oh so still and quiet and let them decide if they want to make friends with you or not. But you have to be still, Sehun...completely still.”

Lowering his head to the floor, the dragon remained as still as he possibly could whilst Suho made a well time grab of Tao to start giving him a grooming session which the youngster immediately attempted to wriggle out of for no good reason as usually he loved getting groomed. Sehun watched as the butterfly fluttered from plant to rock before turning and fluttering towards himself which made the rainbow dragon’s heart beat just a little bit faster though he reminded himself to remain completely still and not let out a single noise though he so desperately wanted to do so. The butterfly was a soft white colour with little black dots on its wings and the hatchling watched as it landed on a small stone so close to him where it seemed to settle.

Sehun had just gotten the most highest of high hopes that he was about to make friends with the butterfly when there came an all too familiar call and a dark green shape loomed into view as Kyungsoo came to a swift, abrupt landing in the centre of their circle of caves startling virtually everyone who was present.

Suho was quick to rise to his feet, aware that Xiumin was doing the same thing and that the sudden noisy arrival would have woken Chanyeol and would have Yixing fetching Baekhyun out of his bath. Kyungsoo never returned early from a patrol, especially not in such a noisy fashion and with a roar like that it was highly probable that Chen would be back with them soon. “What is it?” Suho asked, his blue form looming protectively over the two hatchlings who were cowering underneath him because as much as they were young and inquisitive, even they knew when something out of the ordinary was happening.

“Is it those pirates from the south?” Xiumin asked, his white tendrils moving of their own accord as he started to charge his frost as they had been involved in too many battles with them over the last year. Some strange notion about their being a buried treasure here which was nonsense because they had dug it all up a thousand years ago and sent it far away so as to keep people off this island.

Chanyeol frowned, “Is it another tidal wave building?” A glare came his way from Suho at that comment because if there had been anything like that Suho would have known about it hours before and would have called Kyungsoo back to higher ground.

There came a fuzzing cloud of static as Chen appeared, landing on the same outcrop that the two hatchlings had leapt off not a few minutes before and his red eyes glimmered, “What’s going on? I heard your call all the way over at the Western Beach where I was trying to cook a big octopus for supper.”

Yixing and Baekhyun remained quiet as they approached the solitary green dragon who did not look to be in any form of panic or distress. He bore no wounds and there was nothing on the winds to suggest that there was any immediate danger coming their way. No missiles, no whiff of burning oil and no familiar chop chop of wood hitting water as the rowers worked hard to bring the ship in before the tides changed and caused everyone to become stuck. The last time that had happened had not been a pretty situation for anyone to deal with as those who had been beached did not explore the island properly and tried to start a settlement.

They had nearly lost Chanyeol that day from the wounds he obtained but thankfully the humans had realised the folly in trying to stay on an island inhabited by dragons and they had returned to their homelands with stories that kept virtually all sailors at bay.

Shaking his head, Kyungsoo gently uncurled his left front foreleg which had been previously clutched tightly to his chest to lower something carefully to the rocks below him, “No. Nothing like that. In fact, I don’t think I’ve ever come across something like this at all.”

Stepping back a fraction, but not enough so that he wasn’t covering the thing that he had laid down with such care, Kyungsoo sighed, “He was brought here by the teleporter who left almost as soon as he spotted me.”

Suho blinked and ushered the two hatchlings towards Xiumin who was glad to take them in at this point in time because the last thing the frost dragon ever wanted was for the two youngsters to become hurt or be in danger. The water dragon took a few purposeful steps towards where the earth dragon was still sort of hovering over the bundle that he had put down and Suho frowned as a familiar sensation began to trickle down his spine.

Softly he bent his head and nudged the bundle so that it rolled over to reveal the face of a rather striking youth with long black hair and soft pale coloured skin that was beautifully reflecting the sunlight that streamed down from above. However, Suho’s eyes were drawn straight to the boy’s neck where a golden chain hung with an all too familiar pendant resting on his slumbering chest. The water dragon felt his eyes open as he inhaled in shock, “Finally he returns to us.”

“Who?” Tao squeaked aloud, still nestling in the protective shadow of Xiumin.

Almost at the exact same moment, the human on the ground stirred and blearily opened his eyes, blinking in a cute style as if he were lost and confused before suddenly sitting upright as his brain clicked to the fact that he was surrounded by dragons of different shapes, sizes and colourings.

For the first time in his life, Yifan had not a single clue as to how to react. Should he scream and cower, praying that these beasts of legend would give him a swift death or should he leap to his feet and start running as fast as he could. He would not make it far in the slightest, that much he knew but at least he would not die a whimpering pile of bones to be devoured at leisure by these most deadly and stunning creatures.

However, his reaction was to let out only the slightest of yelps when there came a blur of colour and something rather warm, large and glistening brightly in the sunlight rushed at him from the side and wrapped its clawed feet around him in something akin to a hug.

“Mine!” a childish voice, slightly deeper than expected but not yet broken and with masculine tones, chirped almost a little too happily, “Mine! Mine! Mine! Mine! Mine!”

Sehun curled tightly around the little human, even though he had not a single clue in his head as to what the creature was all that the rainbow dragon knew was that this was what he had been waiting for all day with nervous excitement and he couldn’t be happier in the slightest. Lightly he at the boy’s face, before shifting so that he was no longer cuddling him and instead wrapped around him like a cross between a serpent and a lapdog.

Yifan blinked at the sudden change in demeanour of the multicoloured beauty that had apparently already claimed him but timidly petted the top of its head before slowly raising his head to what he, mistakenly, presumed to be the creatures mother. “Err...hello?”

Suho paused for a second, blinking as he glanced down at Sehun who was being calm, quiet and perfectly well behaved now in the arms of this human. There was no denying it, though it seemed as though this one clearly had no idea about what he was supposed to be.

“Welcome Prince of Dragons,” Suho said, bowing his head in respect towards the youngster who almost passed out again with how pale he went, “We’ve been waiting for you a long while.” 

 

authors babbling:

hey everyone, here's a new chapter. You should have gotten it a few days ago but life went completely crazy and I didn't get a chance to update but here it is now. I hope that you enjoy and yush the baby dragons are going to be a handful for Yifan to deal with