Prologue – The Passing of Jiaheng

The Dragon Prince (temp hiatus)

Making sure that the halls were indeed clear, as the sun just started to kiss the horizon, Jongin swiftly made his way down with barely a sound escaping from his slippered feet even though he knew fine well that there would be next to no one who would question his strange night run. The palace had become so quiet of late and there were few who dared to even breath too loudly as the family dealt with such an unexpected tragedy which had befallen them not the evening before.

 

A death was always something terrible but for it to happen so suddenly to the young prince was a disaster the likes of which none of them had predicted. Not even the local oracle could provide an explanation for why it had happened, though she had visited the morning of the young prince’s passing to speak with the crown prince on matters of a personal kind.

 

Jiaheng had greeted her warmly as he always done that morning, skillfully hiding the pain which had been building in his chest since that morning and had told her sweetly that he was going down to the gardens to enjoy the clean air and maybe draw something for her. He had run off when he had been dismissed and officially that was the last anyone saw of Prince Jiaheng alive.

 

His body had been found by servants underneath a weeping willow with his sketch pad resting untouched on his lap and a few pencils scattered lightly around his person. His silver and white hanfu had looked regal and stunning on him, his long black hair tied up in a loose bun and a soft, sad smile just lingering on his features. It was almost as if the young Prince had finally found some form of peace from the terrible troubles that ailed him and he had come simply to rest and then never awaken again.

 

There had been a huge fuss from the king and queen, they’re second son was dead from an apparent heart attack and by tradition and law they could do nothing to signify the event. Grief had consumed the pair completely and they had decreed that silence was only to fill the halls of the palace until an agreement could be reached as to what was to be done.

 

The Crown Prince had only sadly nodded his head before retreating to his chambers where he had taken the comfort the so desperately needed in the arms of Jongin, his loyal personal bodyguard and friend who would never betray his dishonesty to his parents. It was only hours later, when the rest of the palace had fallen asleep that Luhan was finally able to stop his own tears long enough to hear the pitiful sound for another and he felt his heart break once again.

 

The voice that cried alone that night would never receive any comfort or softly spoken words, his grief would never be acknowledged by anyone in the palace because he was not one to be spoken of. Sometimes Luhan was convinced that the only reason the boy was permitted to stay within the confines of the farthest dwelling within the palace walls, was the fear that if they turned him out onto the streets someone would eventually notice how close in appearance the boy was to Jiaheng. The fact that they were identical twins wouldn’t be hard to miss and soon there would have been many a political uproar.

 

But Luhan could not visit the boy that night, if he was caught out of his room then his Father would undoubtable punish him and he did not dare to try and call for Yifan either. Silently he prayed to the ancient spirits in his shrine that they’d send someone to give the boy comfort at the loss of his elder brother but could do no more that evening. The next day Luhan had remained in his room, using Jongin to inform everyone that he did not feel well and did not wish to pass anything on. No one even blinked an eye and Jongin spent most of the day running small errands for his master and occasionally helping out the other staff as they prepared for an unofficial ceremony to bury the dead Prince.

It was during one of these errands that Jongin came across Yifan, hiding in the corner of some remote study in his simple cream and green lined cotton hanfu with his hair unbound and clear tear marks rushing down his face. In the boy’s hands were clutched one of Jiaheng’s drawing pads and some of his pencils and Jongin felt his heart break at the sight. However, he spotted some of the house hold maids who would undoubtly shout rudely at Yifan for being somewhere he was not supposed to be and would take back the drawings because they were not his. As quick as a flash, the guard moved to quickly cover the young boy’s presence by pretending to be sorting out a series of boxes that held items he barely pretended to notice.

 

Yifan had stared up at him silently with wide eyes the whole time and once the maids were gone, the guard leant down and patted the young boy’s hair, “Take the Cherry Tree path back to your room, Yifan, no one will be walking that way and you won’t get punished.”

 

Nodding, the boy picked himself up and was quick to scamper off, only remember when he just reached the corner of one of the courtyards to turn and bow to Jongin in respect before hurrying off again. Jongin had sighed to himself before standing back up and intended to make his way back to Luhan but instead found himself drawn to the room where Jiaheng was being prepared. As he pulled back the doors he was almost surprised to not find anyone else present and he swiftly made his way across to look at the slumbering face. “He’s going to miss you the most,” Jongin said softly, brushing a few stray strands of black hair out of the dead boy’s face, “You and Luhan were his only true family…maybe he was yours because I know you would have shared your secrets about your heart with him. But that does not matter now, you rest well Jiaheng. Me and Luhan will try our best to look after him now that you are gone.”

 

Leaning down he pressed a kiss to the boy’s forehead before turning to take his leave, only to stop when he heard a distinct chime of a chain falling and the guard turned back. Dangling from Jiaheng’s left hand was a gold chain with a pendant of a winged dragon that for a second had Jongin confused but then his sharp hearing had picked up the sounds of other approaching and instinct had made him grab the pendant and quickly flee back to his own personal quarters. He hid the pendant and spoke nothing of it as he returned to his duties and followed through on the official side of things.

 

The ceremony they held for Jiaheng was quiet and held little in the way of grandeur which was something of a relief to Luhan who ignored most of what the priest was chanting just to look at his now dead little brother. It was a harrowing sight indeed and something that he wished to have never had the misfortune to observe but here he was. So caught up in his grief and wonderings as to why Jiaheng had never spoken a word to him, Luhan startled only slightly when he felt a small, delicate little hand reach for his own and he broke off his vigil of Jiaheng to look at Yifan with surprise. He had not expected the untitled youngest prince to be even permitted within the walls of the min building let alone the actual room where they were holding the ceremony for Jiaheng but for once there was no comment made towards the other and for the first time that Luhan could remember, Yifan remained with them throughout the whole afternoon.

 

He was even permitted to act as the watcher that night, to make sure that no evil spirits came to claim his brother’s soul and body and the next morning Luhan came back early to find that Yifan had cuddled up next to the body of his brother like they always would do whenever they believed that no one was watching over them. With a smile, the Crown Prince and scooped Yifan up and taken him back to his chambers with a whispered promise to Jiaheng that he’d do all in his power to ensure that Yifan was kept safe.

 

Which was why Jongin was now running around the halls of the palace at night hoping not to be caught by anyone. He almost let out a breath of air when he reached the Crown Prince’s rooms and knocked politely on the door before entering without waiting for the customary command. The rooms he entered were spacious and simply divine with dark wooden furniture and rich red silk covers on virtually everything.

 

Luhan had placed Yifan onto his large bed and covered him with the silk sheets, after giving the boy a proper bath and combing out his hair and Jongin could not help but smile down at the youngest Prince who looked exactly like he belonged there. He sighed a little though, “If you Father finds him here, he’ll hit the roof.”

 

“They allowed him into the funeral, and to watch over Jiaheng,” Luhan stated as he affectionately the boy’s black hair, “I think they can allow me a chance to look after our lost little one.”

 

Jongin nodded, “I doubt that they’ll be any sign of them today. The whole palace is quiet.”

 

Luhan smiled softly as he looked up, “I know. It is always when sadness strikes this family. Tell me, did you get it?”

 

Pulling up a stool next to the bed, Jongin dug into his black robes and pulled out the gold pendant which he had taken from Jiaheng’s hands before he handed it over to Luhan. “Why it the dragon winged thus? It does not bode well for them to be that way.”

 

“Dragons come in many forms and appearances,” Luhan said as he smiled, running his fingers over the gold with delicate touches, “Take a look at any of Jiaheng’s sketch books and you’ll see so many different kinds that it will amaze you. But now we must learn the truth before my parents start asking questions which I do not have the will to answer.”

 

Taking a deep breath, Luhan leaned forward and gently pulled back the silk sheets that rested on his brother’s chest only causing a slight stirring from the other before he held the dragon pendant just over his heart. Immediately the two ends of the chain leapt up from their idling position and latched themselves firmly around Yifan’s neck in a lock that would not break until the day that the boy were to pass away.

 

Slowly letting out a breath, Luhan softly rested the pendant against his brother’s skin before pulling the silk sheet back over the slumbering figures form and lightly he pressed a kiss against the eleven year olds forehead. “Jiaheng was protecting him from the start.”

 

“I shall gather provisions and see if I can find a map for him to travel by,” Jongin said, though his voice sounded heavy with worry.

 

Luhan however caught his hand and held him close, “No. For this we break the rules. If we send him by foot they will catch him and kill him in order to take the pendant back.”

 

Jongin shook his head, “He is too young, the dragon’s will eat him upon first sight.”

 

“Not if he’s wearing that pendant they won’t,” Luhan said with determination, “Please, Jongin, gather as much as you can without being seen or caught. Yifan must leave by the time the moon rises else all will be lost.”

 

Looking towards the boy with worry, Jongin turned back to Luhan and was about to argue further when he received the adorable puppy dog pout with the overly large eyes and the guard nearly let out a groan of frustration because he could never resist that face. Instead however he used the opportunity to lean forwards, stealing a quick kiss from the others lips before he pulled back, “The things I do for you, my love.”

Holding back his own laugh, the crown prince reached out to cup the sides of Jongin’s face with his hands before leaning forward and pressing a much more passionate kiss to those lips. He immediately felt shudders go through his body and the temptation was there but he managed to pull himself back, “You know that he has to go. As much as I wish to keep him, he needs to be with his true family.”

 

Jongin nodded and stole another kiss quickly before turning to head back out of the room and gather together what he had been requested. Though his mind was ablaze with the question of how Yifan was supposed to become even friends with a dragon, let alone make them become his family.

 

“Please, ancient spirits,” Jongin muttered under his breath as he made his way through the long corridors, “Please protect Yifan and bring him home safely.”