Chapter 7

annyeong, naneun neoreul aneunde

He sits on the stool, pulling the thread at the seams, his white billowing robe making the lower half of his body heavy. It is white. Pure white, just like the snow. He has been told it is so because the Northerners live in the snowy region of their pack’s territory and also because white is pure. He is supposed to be pure. His hand will be given for marriage. His to-be mate is an alpha leader whose coming-off-age ceremony is today. He is also a part of it. He is sitting towards the veiled end of the tent behind a huge curtain. He is not to see the alpha or, the alpha is not supposed to see him till the ceremony is over. Only the Elders know.

He wonders what his mate is like. If he’ll be anything like the alpha he met near the bath area.

 

 

***

 

 

Taeyong is at the host’s end of the tent. He watches nervously, his eyes sweeping through the crowd for familiar faces. The crowd is chattering away, excited to see the ceremony. Every time an alpha becomes a leader, the new leader is cheered with a lot of enthusiasm. He knows they’ll do the same for him. His eyes stop at the two blue-robed men, standing with their backs erect, on guard like a true Perimeter Patrol Guard. The taller of the two’s eyes meet with Taeyong’s and gives a short nod. He then points Taeyong out to the boy in front of whose head immediately snaps towards him. The alpha takes long strides towards them (the crowd hushes, now whispering) and envelops the boy in front of him in a hug.

“Ten!”

Ten beams and pats him on the shoulder awkwardly. Taeyong gives him a quizzical look.

“May I have a word with you?”

The alpha blinks in surprise but, complies. Perhaps, Ten is just being formal because it is expected of him to be. It is a formal public gathering. They have to put on their best manners. “Of course.”

Ten turns around to give the taller man - Johnny - a glance and then, looks back at Taeyong. They walk outside of the tent. They go further away from it - not too far. Ten is an omega and even if everyone might not know about them, there’s no need for spreading rumours.

Everyone loves to gossip, after all.

 

*

 

The ceremony starts when the moon shines through the dark, night sky. He stands in the middle of the tent, every single eye trained upon him. The crowd was bustling till the Elder Priest (a Southerner) called him forward, asking him to name the members of his pack.

Every alpha leader, during his coming-off-age/initiation ceremony must name the alphas s/he wants to join their flank. Taeyong smirks. He already has many pack members, not counting the ones his mate who will tag along with his mate.

He steps forwards towards the lit pyre in front of him. He picks up the knife offered to him by his alpha. He bows in respect. His father smiles back at him. Taeyong, then, stretches his left hand towards the burning pyre and faces his palm upwards. He presses the sharp end of the blade of the knife on it and pierces it though his skin. He watches in fascination, the blood bubble up and out of the torn skin. The alpha then turns his hand. With every drop that falls into the fire, he names his pack members.

 

Moon Taeil.”

Drop.

Kim Doyoung

Drop.

Jung Jaehyun.”

Drop.

Mark.”

Drop.

 

Everyone starts clapping, expecting that it’s over but, Taeyong clamps his hand around the blade, letting more of the crimson drops into the burning light, hushing every one.

 

Hansol.”

Drop.

Johnny.”

Drop.

Yuta.”

Drop.

Ten.

Drop.

Donghyuck.”

Drop.

 

With the last name, the crowd starts whispering again, some of them not even pretending to keep their voices lowered. He moves the blade away from his hand and the carmine fluid, the slice healing shut. He hands the knife back to his father who looks at him proudly before dropping the knife into the burning logs.

 

It is sealed.

 

They are bonded now. All of them, as a pack. His spilled blood is theirs, binding them together but, most importantly, he has promised his life to them. His fate to them. He has promised to protect them with his blood, tears and sweat.

Taeyong takes a step back and unhooks the belt on his robe. It’s the transformation part of the ceremony, where an alpha is supposed to phase into his/her wolf form for the first time. He lets his robe drop of his shoulders and slowly takes the loose trousers of him. He is practically crouching in front of the crowd but, it’s at the back of his mind. He concentrates on his inner wolf, channeling it, calling it to come forward and grace him, his body and soul and accept that it too can be part of it - permanently.

The air around him shimmies and he stands on his jet black limbs and howls into the night.

 

He turns his head and lifts his snout to look at the approaching bodies towards him. They are his boys.

 

His pack.

 

He can feel a very rational need to protect them, to mark them and protect them in his own territory. He growls at no one in particular. He must protect them with his life.

He recognizes Jaehyun who comes forward and walks carefully towards him. Taeyong puts one paw forwards. The omega in front of him smells sweet and warm and feels like home. His scent is soothing and they both go closer to each other till Jaehyun pats him on the head. The younger boy smiles when Taeyong nuzzles into his hand. The omega chuckles.

 

One by one, all of them - starting from Johnny to Donghyuck - every one pets his head as he nuzzles their hands and imprints their scent in his mind and body.

They too carry his scent on themselves - a vow by the alpha leader, a proof that they belong. They have a home.

 

As soon as he scents Donghyuck, the youngest of them all, one of the wolves outside howls, marking the end of the ceremony. Every one claps, laughing, ready to phase into wolves and go for a chasing match.

However, Taeyong’s mate has to be announced yet and they all sit back down in their previous place.

 

Taeyong is led by Ten, the oldest omega in his pack - their pack - towards the little tent outside this one. Taeyong goes inside alone and phases back into his human form. He can hear the Elders talking about how the new leader had agreed like a responsible alpha in his young stage to be mated to the omega who had decided to join their pack for protection. He can hear them humming back - his hearing senses have heightened and stumbles while putting his clothes (which someone had placed in the tent on a chair) when an Easternder Elder announces that the Omega has learned all the rituals and ways of their lives and is very much a member of their large pack, just like every one else is and calls the Omega to step forward. Taeyong clutches at his clothes, embarrassed that his to-be young mate has seen him even if it is all for a ceremony. He is mortified. How can they allow a pup to see him like that!

 

Taeyong hurriedly puts his clothes back on and almost runs back to the large tent.

 

Every one gasps in surprise seeing him wear the old white robe. He should have been wearing black - an alpha leader is supposed to be mated soon after the Transformation/Initiation to maintain the omega numbers in a pack. As it is there are only two omegas in his pack, one of them who won’t even live with them in the main territory. One member’s state is yet to be determined. Everybody else is an alpha. Not even a single beta in his fledgling pack.

 

But, his fiance is a pup, or, so he has been told and they can’t mate till he matures and Taeyong stops in his tracks, the scent flooding his senses. The crowd  in the centre made up of his parents and the Elders part. He sees the lean figure in the white robe.

 

No way, no way, no way.

 

His mate has auburn blond hair. He is neither short nor tall.

He is probably tall for his age.

 

But, Taeyong’s heart pounds because it’s his mate hismatehismatehismatehismate.

 

His mother looks at him smiling and beckons him to come forward but, Taeyong can’t move from his spot.

 

Because no way.

 

His hands ball into fists and he looks at Jaehyun who gives him a small smile and motions his head, encouraging him.

 

“Son Taeyong, please come forward.”

 

His mate stiffens on hearing his name (Taeyong sees him stiffening) and turns around slowly, as if dreading the moment.

Then they lock eyes and Taeyong’s heart leaps into his throat.

 

 

Winwin