Chapter 5

annyeong, naneun neoreul aneunde

For some reason, whenever Taeyong smells anything like omega, his ears perk up and nostrils twitch. His head twos and fros looking for the source and always ends up with disappointment because why? Because he is looking for the Omega from That Day and he himself can’t tell why. He just knows his head snaps in the direction unfamiliar omega scents. Of course, it means nothing. He’ll meet his mate in about two days and he’ll forget all about this Omega. Taeyong is nothing if not a responsible alpha. He will not be unfaithful to his mate.

For his coming-off-age celebrations, tents for gathering and make-shift sparring rings have been set up. Because it isn’t just coming-off-age. Taeyong will have a Pledging Ceremony where he will pledge to lead fellow wolves and choose the ones he wants to take under him. It’s a chance for the others to new see and know a new leader amongst them and hence, some of the other leaders will be joining to wish him luck and such. And, most importantly, Taeyong will meet his mate. They will be engaged in front of all the pack leaders and the pack housing his mate and his siblings will offer Northerners baskets of berries, blankets and carpets (items important due to their location) and they will return baskets of berries and fruits (a compulsory gesture) and the biggest kill of the day for meal as a friendly invitation. Because Taeyong is the alpha leader here, the gifts to be given to the Northerners will be more. Otherwise, usually, the omega’s pack the bigger lot.

Though most wolves end up mating with members of their immediate pack rather than mating with someone from the others.

 

Taeyong is sitting with his legs stretched, watching Taeil and Doyoung spar. In the other ring, there’s Choi Siwon from the South-Central packs sparring with Jessica from the Westender packs. A lot of other alphas and betas are crowded around the rings, cheering the wolves. The competition is a healthy one so Taeyong barely pays attention to them. Considering, he has to keep an eye on Donghyuck who is currently posing an evil grin and dancing after Mark. Taeyong groans. He hopes the wolf kid doesn’t do anything too drastic. In front of so many guests, he doesn’t want any commotion. Also, Donghyuck is also among the wolves whose name Taeyong is going to take in the Ceremony, he doesn’t want the pup to jeopardize that. Even though Donghyuck is just assumed to be a Beta, truthfully, he isn’t. In fact, he hasn’t presented and with only three years left to his Transition time, it is a crucial thing that he present soon. They all are worried for him. Without any gender designation, the Elders will force him out to the Perimeters - a place where a pup like Donghyuck will not be able to survive. The Perimeters are too cold and too lonely. He knows it for a fact. His friends live in the Exiled area. If Donghyuck doesn’t become a part of his pack, it’ll become easier for them to remove him and Taeyong will not let that happen.

Taeyong gets up from his spot and hurries over to where Mark is sitting and glares at Donghyuck. “Tone it down, pups. Otherwise, I’ll have to punish you both.”

Mark grumbles used to the notion of sharing punishments with Donghyuck even with no fault of his but the latter looks at Taeyong in disbelief.

“You wouldn’t! I haven’t done anything!”

Mark snorts and gets an elbow to his chest in return. “Yah! What was that for!” He glares at Donghyuck who is glaring back at him and Taeyong just loudly sighs and leaves them to their own devices.

“Careful, okay? I don’t want to give any explanation to the Elders.”

The younger wolves say ‘okay’ in unison and Mark is the first one to slide and give Donghuck some space on the bench to sit. The other wolf grudgingly accepts.

 

It’s only as Taeyong is reaching closer to his older seating spot that he inhales the scent. He starts taking longer steps looking for that Omega but, he doesn’t find any. It’s only Jaehyun standing a little further away - the only omega in the vicinity. Some of the other alphas are looking at his friend and he wants to gauge their eyes out but, he knows they mean no harm. Jaehyun is unbounded omega, almost to be of age and also looks good with good scent. Jaehyun is like those ideal omegas one hears about. Taeyong doesn’t understand why he sees Jaehyun only as a friend. Since their childhood, he has seen the omega as nothing more. Jeahyun would have been the perfect omega to his alpha. May be Jaehyun deserves someone better?

May be because his mate is someone else?

May be because Taeyong doesn’t like to do what is easier.

But, is he even a good choice for his mate?

 

“Why are you looking at me and frowning?” Jaehyun is smiling. “Do you not like me being here?”

“Am not a conservative alpha, Jaehyun. You can be wherever you want.” His eyes sweep through the crowd and is then, back on the rings. “Just as long as no one is being reckless.”

Jaehyun hums. “I like the fact that you said ‘as long as no one is’.” Taeyong raises an eyebrow in question. “That it’s not only an omega who can be reckless.”

Taeyong snorts loudly.

“So, when are you meeting him?”

The alpha tenses for a second before replying, “soon, soon.”

“Okay..” Jaehyun’s voice is a bare whisper over the cheering noise of the crowd and he is stepping aside, perhaps leaving and Taeyong grabs his hand.

“Jaehyun.. I’m sorry.”

The ever kind omega only blinks in surprise and, then, smiles but Taeyong knows he is hurt, that he is only hiding it in the name of their friendship because Taeyong has been there too. He has done that too. He knows how much Jaehyun is hurting.

“It’s okay, Tae. You’ll be our Alpha soon. We are lucky to have you.”

A lump of guilt lodges in his throat and he doesn’t know how else to say anything; anything which he knows will not help the omega anyway. He knows he is being rude, picking this place to broach this topic. He is being insensitive and a prick but, he can’t talk about this when there is no one else around. He is just a coward that way. Does he even deserve to be anybody’s alpha?

“Taeyong, you look like those pups who steal from other wolves’ baskets. Don’t look like that. You have never owed me anything. You never will. Even if the Elders didn’t want this for you, we still wouldn’t have happened. I know. I accepted that a long time ago. Just accept this and don’t’ feel guilty. Okay?” Taeyong’s grip on his wrist tightens, his eyes searching Jaehyun’s face. His voice, his face, they all are so sincere but, he knows better. Because if his friend has really moved on, why is he distancing himself? This was the most they had talked in months. Months.
“I know you love me but, only as a friend. I can’t ask for more.” Jaehyun gives him another smile and tugs at his hand and Taeyong immediately, lets go. Others are watching, curious. He wants to growl and ask them to mind their own business.

“By the way, you made quite a show that day.”

“Which day?” As soon as he asks, he realizes what Jaehyun is referring to and his face goes red and his friend smirks. A gong rings out loudly, and they watch as both Taeil and Doyoung jump out of their ring.

“Who were they?” He clears his throat. “Which ..?”

“Eastenders.. They are helping us stock up some of our food.”

Taeyong only nods his head, his heart only slightly thumping.

Eastenders.. Could his mate also be among them?

“Do you want to know his name?”

“Whose?”

“Don’t pretend you don’t know who I am talking about!”

“Uh yea.. sure.”

“I’m not going to say if you are not interested.”

Taeyong only hisses in answer but, makes no other effort to reply. Taeil motions at them to come over. They almost reach to where their friends are sitting when he hears Jaehyun say softly, “Winwin. His name is Winwin.” Taeyong’s step falters only slightly. He has a name to match with the face. Only if he knew that much about his own mate.