Chapter 4

Let's catch puppies
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

 

Almost a week passed after the events at the café. And to be honest, it was a disaster. 

 

Sanghyuk, after learning of Hongbin’s attraction, just doubled his efforts to make him fall in love with him. And for this, he managed to NEVER let him alone with Jaehwan. He came at each break time, glaring at Jaehwan each single time. 

 

Wonsik, him, was probably even worse. Hakyeon was just acting as if he didn’t exist. He let Wonsik to be by his side and talk to him. It had no importance, he would always act as if nobody was here. It was the biggest struggle he ever had. 

 

Whatever Jaehwan said to Taekwoon during the class, this one never answered to him. He was also avoiding him whenever he saw him. The person he loved already had someone. It couldn’t be worse. Each time he saw Jaehwan, he just imagined a cute smiling girl by his side, in his arms, kissing him… And he felt like someone was stabbing his heart, it was making him sick as hell. 

 

Because of that, Taekwoon passed most of his time alone or with Hakyeon, since Hongbin was always with Jaehwan, Hyuk stuck to him.

 

 

When the bell rang for the end of the classes, Jaehwan tried one more time to talk with Taekwoon. Really hesitant, he stuttered, looking at his table. « Hmm, Taekwoon… What about coming back together ? » 

Silent. When Jaehwan lifted up his head, he discovered that Taekwoon was already at the exit door, closing it behind him. 

 

He deeply sighed before gathering his stuffs in his backpack. 

 

« What’s wrong Jaehwan ? It’s odd to see you like that. » Hongbin tilted his head, a little worried. 

He sighed one more time. « Well actually I- » 

 

Suddenly the door slammed, and a blond storm showed up in the classroom, stamping. He grabbed Hongbin’s arm, a gaze full of blame. « Aish, I really can’t let you alone for two seconds. » 

Hongbin shook his head, not even surprised by the sudden appearance of his dongsaeng. « Hyuk-ah, I was talking you know… » 

He glared at Jaehwan, restraining his envy to kill him. « I know, that’s the point. » 

 

Jaehwan still couldn’t explain why Sanghyuk was hatting him so much. He REALLY didn’t do anything. That was just nonsense. 

Taking his bag with his hand, he noticed Wonsik dragging his feet to the exit. 

 

At the same time, Sanghyuk attention was all turned to something different. Something on Jaehwan’s bag. His look wasn’t scary anymore. It was more an… interested gaze ? He was slightly smiling, and it seemed that his eyed was almost sparkling. For probably the first time, he talked to Jaehwan without any hatred in his voice. He pointed his finger at Jaehwan’s bag. « What is it ? » 

 

But Jaehwan couldn’t enjoy this moment of truce. He didn’t even hear what Sanghyuk said, a little lost in his mind. « Sorry, see you tomorrow. » He was already running out of the room. 

 

Hyuk, speechless, looked at nowhere, lost. He should be upset, but not at all. « Right now…. » He shifted his head to the artwork. « Wasn’t it a chopper ?! » 

 

Without warning, Hongbin pressed his lips against Sanghyuk’s forehead, before smirking. « You won this battle. You were the cutest one, here is your reward. » He stuck out his tongue « But don’t dream, I’m still aiming for Jaehwan » and left the hard-blushing one alone. 

 

 

« Wonsik-ah ! » 

 

The red-haired boy stopped his walk, turning his head and discovered his classmate who was chasing after him. With a dead voice, he barely answered. « Hmm ? » 

 

He placed his hand on Wonsik’s shoulders and squeezed it a little. « I need your help. And you also need mine. » 

 

He raised his eyebrow. « I need your help ? For what ? » 

 

Jaehwan rolled his eyes. « Ohhhh I don’t know, let me think about it… maybe with your studies… Or your cooking skills…. Or maybe... First of all with Hakyeon hyung ! » 

 

Wonsik blinked, speechless, and stuttered... « H-how d-did you know… » 

 

He sneered, shaking his head. « Because you're a way too obvious. I still can’t believe Hakyeon hyung didn’t notice how you’re feeling. Just let me tell you that was the worst idea ever to tell him he was disgusting. » 

 

Wonsik closed his eyes, trying to forget this moment. He felt depressed just by hearing again this word. He already knew that was really stupid, and entirely regretted it. « Then, and you ? What is your problem ? » 

 

He bit his lower lips, looking down. « It’s about Taekwoon. He doesn’t talk with me anymore… » 

 

Wonsik slightly smiled, amused with the answer. « Yes and ? He never talk, so why is it becoming a problem now ? » 

 

Jaehwan raised a little his voice, gripping harder Wonsik’s shoulder. « No this time it’s different ! He's definitely avoiding me ! » 

 

Surprisingly, Wonsik started to chuckle, his shoulders shaking because of his laughs. « Ah~~ I understand now. We are in the same boat. Our unrequited love are ignoring us. Then you must understand how I’m feeling. » 

 

Jaehwan weirdly looked at his classmate, as if he was the dumbest person on the earth. « What are you saying ? I don’t have that kind of feelings for Taekwoon. » 

 

He scoffed, amused with this gullibility. « Oh ? Really ? Then can you explain me why you can’t stand to not being able to spend your time with him ? » 

 

Jaehwan opened his mouth, but then realize he didn’t have the answer. Why was he obsessed with the idea of not being able to talk with Taekwoon ? He was a friend, a really good friend. More precisely, the first friend he made in the high school. He was special in his heart. But obviously, Taekwoon wasn’t caring about him anymore. 

 

 

Did he ever care about me at least…? 

 

 

Jaehwan felt like something was poking his heart, and the pain was becoming stronger as he was thinking about Taekwoon. 

Wonsik interpreted this silence as an approbation from the cute boy. « See ? It’s okay, I’ll help you. But I hope you have a plan. » 

 

He had to clarify the situation and quickly. He gave him a serious gaze. « Of course I have. » 

 

 

 

It was already the end of the lessons. Hakyeon decided to study a little at the library of the school, and went to Taekwoon’s classroom to propose him to also come. 

But when he entered, his place was empty. 

 

Crap, I forgot his football’s training.

 

 

But not only Taekwoon's sit, Jaehwan’s and Wonsik’s ones were also empty. Hongbin was the only one who was still there. Sat down, his hand leaning on his palm, he was looking thought the window, smiling alone. 

Hakyeon looked over his shoulder, searching on what he was focused. He thought at a first time he was observing at Sanghyuk since the football’s club was training. He saw his childhood friend shooting in the ball and scoring a goal, but there was no sign of life of the maknae on the ground. He was probably skiving off since Hongbin didn’t come to cheer him up. 

 

Hakyeon continued to analyze the schoolyard until he finally finds out what Hongbin was looking at. Jaehwan, who was in front of the faucets, had his hair a little wet and was rubbing it roughly with his both hand. 

Hakyeon raised his eyebrow, questioning himself what this strange boy was doing. Why wetting his hair ? And why making a big mess with it ? 

 

Anyway, Hakyeon couldn’t let Hongbin dreaming just by looking at Jaehwan. Taekwoon told him he was hardly suspecting Hongbin to have feelings toward the new student. And what was seeing Hakyeon just confirmed this idea. So he had to act. He had to do something for his Taekwoonie, but also for his Hyukkie. He knew how much he loved Hongbin, and that was heartbreaking to see how Hongbin was turning him down every day. 

 

Not losing any seconds, he tapped on Hongbin’s shoulder, who quivered, surprised. He finally turned his eyes from the outside. « Oh Hakyeon hyung ? Why are you here ? Taekwoon has his club activities today though… » 

 

« I’m here for you. What about studying with me a little at the library ? It will be boring alone~ » 

 

Hongbin took another look at the faucets, but there was nobody anymore. He raised his shoulders. « Why not. » 

 

 

As they were in the corridor, walking in direction of the stairs, Hakyeon was explaining how hard was the last year of a high school student. He never studied that hard the other years. He was aiming one of the best dance school of their town. It was his dream since he was young. 

 

« Hyung ! » 

 

They stopped their walk as Jaehwan was running in their direction. He was panting, his hair a little wet, haphazardly arranged, but he didn’t seem to have sweat. He placed his hand on his knees, taking big breaths.

 

Hongbin took a step forward. « Hey, are you in a rush ? » 

 

He stilled have difficulties to talk, out of breath. « I-it’s a-about Wonsik… » Hakyeon’s face scowled at this name. « W-we were o-on the rooftop, a-and someone just randomly started to spread bad rumors about you to his friend. » Hakyeon facial expression turned into a curious one as Jaehwan was raising his body. « And even before I could realize it, Wonsik gave him a violent punch. » 

 

Jaehwan seemed to search his words, which was making Hakyeon more impatient. He said with a loud voice. « And ?! After ?! » 

 

« H-he started a fight with the both guys… I tried to help him… but that was useless, they were too strong, so I ran to find some help and- » 

 

This time, the panic was readable on his face. He frowned and mumbled « This babo… » before running to the top of the building, doing the sprint of his life. 

 

 

A big silence aded the corridor, suddenly broken with Hongbin's voice. 

« Hahahahahaha ! » He burst into laughter, unable to hide it anymore. He rarely saw someone who was that bad for lying. His voice sounded so fake, he couldn’t believe Hakyeon seriously trusted him. If it wasn’t Hakyeon, anybody would have understood it was a sham. He even wet his hair to make him think he sweated because of the fight. 

 

Jaehwan was disappointed and pouted. « Was my story that unbelievable… ? » 

 

Hongbin approached and rubbed his wet hair, still laughing, dimples visible on his face. « Totally. No wait, there was one thing you did well : you really seemed worn out after you rush. » 

 

Jaehwan coughed a little, embarrassed. « Well… actually I really was… I at sports so… » 

 

Hongbin laughed louder, rubbing Jaehwan’s hair harder. « You’re so cute… » 

 

Jaehwan moved his head back, muttering. « I’m not cute- » He took a break. « Cute… ? Oh my god I almost forgot Taekwoon ! Sorry Hongbin-ah I have to go ! » 

As Jaehwan turned over, ready to run, he felt a grip on his wrist stopping him.

 

With a low-pitched voice, Hongbin said. « Don’t go, stay with me. » 

Jaehwan tilted his head, a little surprised. « Stop joking Hongbin-ah~ I really need to go so- » 

 

Not listening, he pulled his arm, embracing him, hiding his face in his hair, and took a deep voice. « I will not let you go. » 

 

 

 

Taekwoon was drained. He was only training for one hour, but because of the sun, all of his movements was even more exhausting. He warned his teammates he was thirty, and trotted to the cloakroom, eager to hydrate his dry throat. When he arrived, he jumped on his bag, and got his fresh bottle of water out, greedily taking big swallows. 

 

He wiped his mouth with the back of his hand, and brought back the bottle in the bag. But when he opened it, he noticed a blue light flickering at the bottom of his backpack. He grabbed his phone and opened it. 

 

There were two messages. One from his father, and one from... Wonsik ?

 

 

From : Kim Wonsik 

Hyung ! I need you and right now ! This is an urgency, so don’t ask any question and come in our clas

Please log in to read the full chapter