Day One

Coming Home

 

 

 

The car ride felt like hours, Yifan sitting next to him in the back seat, watching his every move as Jongin refused to even blink. He was ready for a fight, not that Yifan would even try, he didn’t look like one that would fight his own battles (He does).

 

“You are Xiumin’s boy aren’t you? You’re part of E.S, don’t think I don’t know.”

 

Jongin flinched, he hasn’t heard his gang’s name in so long.

 

“Answer me, boy.”

 

“He-I can’t say,” Jongin mumbled, eyes looking down at his shoes.

 

“Smart boy, but Xiumin knows my type,” He tilted Jongin’s head upward, Yifan’s eyes boring into his own. “So pretty,” he whispered. “I’m going to take you somewhere nice,”

 

Yifan lets his hand drop, shuffling inside his pocket to take out two cards. “Listen closely, I will not be repeating myself more than once.” He started, shifting the cards between his middle and index finger. “Take these and don’t lose them, the red one is the address to a safe location, if anything goes wrong, go there. The magenta one is a phone number, only call if it’s an emergency. I doubt you’ll be needing these, but,” Yifan shifted a little closer. “Can you keep a secret?”

 

“Yes,” Jongin breathed without thinking, his heart racing with how close Yifan was.

 

“Minseok is a close friend of mine, you see. If anything happens to you, he’ll know you were under my protection. I will find you if you ever feel like your life is in danger.”

 

Jongin freezed, Yifan knew Xiumin’s real name, he has only heard one person call him that and they were shot on the spot.

 

“We are on opposing gangs, shady business, nothing you need to worry your pretty little head over.” Yifan chuckled, reaching even closer to push the cards into one of Jongin’s pockets. “But what’s life without a little betrayal? He knew you were always going to come back, he’s been anticipating it since you left, gave a sweet little gift in exchange for your safety. A softie that one is, but, that’s not all. Would you believe your sweet older brother being one of us?”

 

Jongin inhaled sharply. Xiumin? Betraying the E.S? He would never.

 

“Although he loves you like you were his own, do you honestly think he would have spared you if he was loyal? You’re already dead to them, any of them would have killed you on the spot.”

 

“And you wouldn’t?” Jongin regretted it as soon as he said it, Yifan’s smile turning deadly.

 

“We believe in second chances, and this is your second chance. Mess this up, and the E.S won’t be the only ones trying to shoot you dead.”

 

The car stopped, Yifan patting Jongin’s thigh carefully. “Now, take care of that bundle you have there. The people I’m sending you to are nice, but one wrong move will get you robbed blind.”

 

Luhan opened the door without a sound, Jongin holding tightly to the money Xiumin gave him. “Get out, young one, we have things to do.”

 

“Ah, this is where we say our goodbyes... for now.” Yifan propped his hand on his chin, multi-colored rings gleaming in the sunlight.

 

Jongin nodded, Luhan grabbing his arm to haul him away before closing the door.

 

“Ah, Jongin, one more thing.” Yifan rolled down the tinted window. “Code word is Blue, it’ll help today, maybe.”

 

Jongin gapped for a second. He doesn’t remember giving him his name.

 

“Hurry up, kid, we can’t keep them waiting.” Luhan grumbled, pulling his hood over his head.

 

Yifan smirked at him one last time, shooing him away with his hands as Luhan pulled a mask from his jacket to cover his face; it made Jongin nervous.

 

“We have to make this quick.” Luhan was mumbling. “They’re pretty good people in there, just follow whatever they say and everything will go smoothly. They’re not a regular gang, they’re not much for drive bys and violence when it’s not needed. They’re territorial, don’t mess with their turf and everything is fine. All I can tell you that is the leader’s name is Onew, that’s all I really know. Just don’t do anything to piss them off and you should be fine.”

 

“Ok,” Jongin replied, letting himself be ushered up to the front door. It was a pretty big place, the neighborhood a little nicer than where his brother’s were.

 

Brothers. Just remembering what happened made Jongin hunch over. This is his new life now, if this new place even accepted him. He hoped they did, he didn’t want to go back to Joonmyun, his makeshift father always loved him, took care of him, but Jongin needed to do this for himself. It’s where he belonged.

 

Luhan’s knocking snapped Jongin out of his thoughts. This was it.

 

The door opened after a few seconds, Jongin’s eyes immediately going down.

 

“Who’s this, one of Dragon’s?” A man said, Jongin could see the pair of shoes he wore.

 

Luhan didn’t say anything, but he must of shook his head because the man replied again. “So it’s one of those I see... lift up your head, boy.”

 

It was a command, the voice stern and strong. Jongin did as he was told, their eyes connecting for a moment before Jongin shifted them away.  

 

The man was about his height, eyes hard, although his mouth was upturned with a bit of curiosity. “We can work with him, he’s a little weak though.” The man grabbed Jongin’s biceps, squeezing lightly. “And skinny.”

 

Luhan snorted, handing Jongin over to the other man. He laughed as well, pulling Jongin to himself. “Don’t worry, we’ll take care of him. Give Yifan my best.” he chuckled, sending Luhan off with a small nod.

 

The man waited until Luhan went inside the car to drag him inside, hand twisting into Jongin’s hoodie to get a better grip on him.

 

“Everyone come here, now.” He didn’t scream, his voice just commanding enough to be heard by the people inside. Jongin tried to keep his head down, but the man pulled it back, Jongin’s neck arching violently. “I have something to show.”

 

One after another, men began to fill the room. Jongin counted six before the man holding him started to speak again. “We have a new brother trying to join, and we all know what we do to fresh meat, don’t we?”

 

A few of them grinned, teeth looking sharp and menacing. “The basement, hyung?”

 

“Of course,” Jongin didn’t know if the man was smiling back or not, but the men in front of him began to fidget in their spots. “But first we need to prepare him, don’t you think?”

 

“Yes, yes.” One of them stepped back, he had stark white hair and sharp bottom teeth. “I will get the rope.”

 

The rope? Jongin closed his eyes, trying to steady his breath. He couldn’t show fear.

 

Never show fear,

 

“Then I will begin. What is your name, little one?”

 

“K-Kai.” Jongin breathed, going over the life he has to fake in his head Xiumin told him.

 

“Do you have a story? Have you been in a gang before?” The man let go of his head, Jongin letting it hang for a second before lifting it up.

 

“No,” Jongin lied through his teeth. “I was in juvie for a while before coming here, parents kicked me out.”

 

“Hm,” He hummed. “Alright I’ll bite for now.” He knew Jongin was lying to him, Jongin could tell and it made him sweat. The man with white hair coming back with ropes in his hands. “Enough for now, let’s go straight to business. I am a giving man, Kai, but there is a price to pay before you can become one of us. We have an initiation you have to complete, a rite of passage, if you will.”

 

Jongin gulped, when he was in S.E he didn’t have to go through one, the members finding him when he was so young. But he remembered, he remembered the horrors they put the others through. He couldn’t help but shake.

 

“Ah, don’t be afraid, young one.” His tone was slightly soothing. “It is not as bad as you are imagining. We will not hurt you...physically that is. We will be putting you through a test, one that you will have to search deep inside yourself to finish. Does anyone want to explain to him what will be happening?”

 

The man left his side as someone else stepped up. He had black shaggy hair, his lips full. “I got it.” He smiled at Jongin, cocking his head to the side to evaluate him. “If you truly want to become want of us, then you will stay seven days in our basement. We will be tying up your wrists, covering your eyes, you will trust us.”

 

He felt hands skate on his back, skirting higher and higher until he couldn’t see; a cloth being pressed against eyes. “We will feed you regularly and check up on you from time to time. Your life will never be put at risk, no matter how much it feels like it is. On the seventh day, we will take you out at 8am exactly, if you complete the initiation that is. If you do not then…. We will handle the situation as seems fit. Do you consent to what I have just told you?”

 

“Yes,” Jongin answered, his breath hitching when a cool palm brushed against his own, bringing them behind him. He felt the man press up close to him.

 

“Good,” He purred, taking his time to tie the rope around his wrist tight. “We will keep you safe, just relax and find a happy place in your mind.” He smoothed his thumb across Jongin’s fingers, the touch buzzing through his body. His skin more sensitive now that he couldn’t see, it felt good, but also slightly terrifying. “Trust us.”

 

It was whispered to his ear, so low that maybe it was said so only Jongin could hear it.

 

“I think he’s ready.”

 

 

------------------------

 

The floor was cold and hard, Jongin’s head pulsing painfully as he tried to get himself up. He tripped against the final few steps of the door, landing hard on his head. His wrists were tied so he couldn't catch his fall, he felt awful. Jongin rolled half his weight onto his shoulder, pushing himself up onto his knees, the rope rubbing him raw with the friction.  

 

The room was silent, the only noise he could hear was a slight dropping sound from what Jongin assumed was a dripping a faucet.

 

 

“Hello?” Jongin voiced out against his better judgement, the sound almost echoing against the empty walls.

 

No one replied, not that he thought that someone would. They told him he was going to stay locked up for seven days, it was part of the initiation, but it still frightened him. The air felt damp, the floor dirty and his knees hurt from his body weight. It’s only seven days, he tried to repeat to himself, it’s only been a few minutes and Jongin already felt like the walls were closing in on him. If only he could take the stupid blindfold off.

 

He doesn’t know if he could go through with it. What was the point? He just wanted to go back home, back to the place he felt the safest, the happiest. Jongin was doubting himself and he knew that this will not be the only time in the seven days he would. He has all the time in the world to think now.

 

Thinking too much was going to drive him crazy, he could already feel it. Anxiety began to prickle over his skin. He was starting to feel hungry, he hadn’t eaten at all since he left Joonmyun’s place. He’s regretting it now, he’s regretting a lot of things. He didn't want to dwell in the past, but he couldn't help it, everything was rushing back to him so quickly.

 

Why was this happening to him? Why couldn't his brothers just accept him? There were so many questions Jongin wanted an answer to. It just wasn't fair.

 

The door opens without Jongin realizing, the boy too lost in his thoughts.

 

“Are you hungry?” A voice said, Jongin jumping from his place on the floor, almost losing his balance. The man chuckled, softly pulling Jongin steady.

 

“I-I,” Jongin stuttered, his eyelashes fluttering behind the blindfold. His mouth felt dry.

 

 

“We’ll be bringing you lunch in a few. You’ll be having food three times a day; breakfast, lunch and dinner.” His voice was deep, different than the other voices he’s heard. “I was sent to check up on you since you’ve been here for a few hours. We won’t check often, most days we won’t come down at all, unless to feed you.”

 

Has it been a few hours already? Jongin couldn’t believe that.

 

“Ok,”

 

“Cool, I’ll see you around then.” and then he was gone, the door closing softly behind him, but to Jongin’s ears, it sounded so much louder.

 

He’ll get food soon, it’ll be okay. Jongin turned to side, trying to maneuver himself so he could lie his body down on the floor comfortably. Well, as comfortable as he could be, the rope on his wrist still rubbing onto his skin the wrong way.

 

This is going to be a long seven days. He already knew. 

 

Lunch was brought out in what felt like hours. The door opening slowly, soft footsteps echoing in the room.

 

“I have lunch,” a soft voice said, a little lighter than the man that came in to check up on him. “You can’t eat by yourself so I’m going to feed you, if that’s ok.”

 

Jongin rolled onto his back, searching for where the voice came from.

 

“Here, let me help you up.” Jongin felt hands on his shoulders lift him up to a sitting position. He felt exhausted now, slouching into himself as the man maneuvered him around. “You look like you’re dying and you’ve only been here a few hours.”

 

He sounded amused, the man’s hand smoothing a piece of Jongin’s hair, then moving to his jaw. “Open up.”

 

Jongin opened his mouth without even thinking. At first he thought they would untie his hands, or at least take off his blindfold so he could eat, but obviously that wasn’t the case.

 

The hand still on his shoulder skated up to clasp around the back of his neck, holding him steady. “For lunch it’s just soup and bread. I’m bringing the spoon to you now.”

 

His voice was so soft, Jongin leaning against his hand, relaxing in his hold.

 

“Don’t fall asleep on me now,” The spoon bumped against his teeth, Jongin opening a little wider so he could fit it into his mouth.

 

It was nicer than he thought, Jongin almost falling asleep right in the middle of it.

 

He had to be shaken awake by the hand on his neck. "I told you not to fall asleep."

 

Jongin apologized softly, parting his lips again for more food. It wasn't amazing, but it also wasn't bad. The warm fingers against his neck also felt nice, so he didn't want to complain. This was the nicest someone has treated him since he left Junmyeon's place and he wanted to relish it before it went away.

 

He was finished with lunch too quickly, he could hear the clank of the dishes as the man who just fed him was preparing to leave. He didn't want him to leave, but he also didn't know how to make him stay, so he just stayed silent. 

 

"Dinner will be here in a few hours, I suggest you sleep until then." Footsteps began to echo away from him. "There's nothing to do here anyway."

 

Jongin nodded to himself, falling onto his back and closed his eyes.

 

For dinner, someone else came down without a word. He fed Jongin roughly and quickly, pushing him away when he was done. Whoever he was, Jongin didn't think he liked him very much. 

 

He slept again right after anyway. Tomorrow is another day.

 


I will be updating velvet today too, I'm on a roll.

Thank you for reading!!

(you can probably already guess who Taemin is lmfao)