VIII

Script of the Angel
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

             Truth serums. Lie detectors. Facial cues. All devices humans use to judge a liar. However, is all of this necessary? Our instincts for separating the truth from lies is actually quite strong – it is only our conscious minds which sometimes fail us. Luckily, there are signs which we can use in trying to detect a lie.

             He grunts as he gathers strength in his lower body to stand, straining against the weight on his back. When he reaches full height, he only squats back down to repeat the movement. He has never liked earphones as he feels that it makes him naïve to the world around him. Instead, he lets the thumping bass from the stereos create a rhythm for him.

             It has been a while since he has had the time to sweat like this at the gym. He enjoys working out. He enjoys seeing the progress of his hardening muscles and he loves the feelings created by adrenaline coursing through his body.

             With a last grunt, he finishes the set and rolls his shoulders. They burn pleasantly and it tells him that it was a good workout indeed. Beside his station, another muscular man continues to perspire. When he sees that Jaebum has finished, he pauses as well and walks up beside Jaebum.

             “Hey.”

             “Hello,” Jaebum returns tentatively.

             “This your first time here? I’ve never seen you before.”

             Jaebum takes a moment before answering. He is unsure of the motive behind this stranger’s words.

             The stranger laughs. “Sorry, that sounded a bit cliché, didn’t it? I only wanted to ask where you bought your lifting gloves. I’ve been getting nasty calluses.”

             Jaebum raises his black gloved hands. He had bought these once he started going to the gym. He did not like having his skin peel. It did not allow his personalized gloves to fit perfectly.

             “Los Angelos.”

             The stranger sighs. “Of course. You said you weren’t from around here.”

             Nodding, Jaebum turns to pick up his water bottle but the stranger continues to speak.

             “It’s amazing what a little workout at the gym can do to destress the body, eh?”

             The stranger stands in front of Jaebum when he turns. He notices the outstretched hand towards him.

             Jaebum takes it.

             “I’m Jackson, by the way,” the stranger finally offers a name.

             “Jaebum.”

             Jackson grabs Jaebum’s water bottle from the floor and hands it to Jaebum. With another hand, he takes the back of his hand and wipes it across his forehead. His muscles ripple at the simple action and that is when Jaebum truly notices the strength contained within this man.

             “What is stressing you out so much?” Jaebum asks.

             “I really shouldn’t be complaining… I got a promotion at work recently. There’s a great upgrade in pay, but the amount of work is ing ridiculous. All these people I have to see… All these meetings… All the paperwork…” his voice trails off.

             Jaebum checks the time and sees that he is in no rush. He decides that he can be entertained by this new person.

             “Where do you work?”

             “Ah… Nowhere exciting. The police station.”

             Jaebum’s ears perk up at the words. He uses this opportunity well.

             “Oh, I heard about the news on television this morning. A woman was murdered in her hotel room?”

             Jackson scratches the back of his head. With the mention of the increasingly growing case, it sends a headache from the back of his neck to the top. He had left the hectic station for the gym so he could escape it for a while but luck was not on his side today.

             Sensing the hesitance from Jackson, Jaebum gives a light chuckle. “I’m sorry to be asking. I know how sensitive these cases can be.”

             There is a light spray of water from his hair when he shakes his head. “No. I… I’m only a little overwhelmed. It’s a pretty big case at the station right now.”

             “Have you found anything new?”

             A light press.

             First, they

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter