XIII

Script of the Angel
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

She runs. Fast.

          He looks down at the three words. They are the only things that fill his laptop screen after he hits enter. Writer’s block: something he didn’t quite enjoy. That was why he liked to move around so much when he writes. That, plus the fact that he can see his subject clearly.

          The girl is thin and wiry but the definition of hard deltoid muscles are outlined by the afternoon sun. He enjoyed a challenge and she might be one.

Dane observes her like the hunter might to his prey. He notes down everything - from the pathway she takes to the speed of her jogging. Everything is important.

          What a contrast she would serve compared to pretty Ms. Michel. Now, where should he display her this time?

Everything must be chosen so that it meets perfection. She is a prancing antelope that dances unknowingly for the lion. Man is an animal after all. We all belong in the Wilderness.

          His eyes look up from his script and watches as the girl stretches once she reaches the bench. She is bent over to catch her breath and she wipes her forehead with the back of her hand. A small device is wrapped around her arm and she touches it to change the song. Her black and blue leggings contrast with her light skin. Once she has rested enough, she jogs a couple of times in place before going forward and then turning the corner out of his sight.

          So pretty and elegant. He wants to wrap his arms around her and feel her pulse between his fingers. He wants to make her into his next angel.

Dane is patient. He is willing to wait until the right opportunity. He will see to it.

Unwritten.

          This is the third time at the park but each day that he has arrived, she is also there. He did not need to be a rocket scientist to know that this must be her daily route. Soon, he will be able to continue on his story.

<< >>

          Mark could not understand why, but after that day with Jackson at the park, he found himself returning to it quite often. He made excuses to grab a coffee, but would find himself wandering back to the bench. He enjoyed the quietness the small area offered. It allowed him to gather his thoughts in peace before returning to the hectic environment of the station.

          After allocating time spent of sitting silently under the warmth of the sun, Mark finally stands. The park is much quieter now as the remaining people have also left. He gathers the brown bag with leftovers from the local bistro and starts stretching his legs. From the corner of his eye, he notices that somebody is running.

          There is not enough time for him to get out of her way and she crashes into him the moment she turns the corner. The impact is not great and she merely stumbles back in shock.

          “I’m so sorry,” he bows in apology.

          She is out of breath but she shakes her head and bows as well. “No, it’s my fault! I’m sorry I didn’t see you!”

          He waves it away and they share another awkward laugh before the girl in the black and blue leggings smiles and continues on her route.

          Bending to pick up the brown bag he has dropped on impact, somebody else captures his attention. That person is someone he cannot seem to forget and even this slightest sight of him causes Mark to scowl.

          He is able to recognize that jacket from anywhere – that grey jacket this man wore the day he walked into the police station. He is currently sitting on a bench nearly halfway across the park. Mark shouldn’t have been able make out any facial features at his distance, but there is a biased hatred towards the man which activated his bad gut feeling.

          The other man seems engrossed with something on his laptop. His eyes never seem to leave the screen and Mark is unable to tell whether Jaebum is typing or whether he is watching some type of video. Regardless of what he is doing, Mark has already decided that it is not good.

          About to walk up to him, Mark suddenly stops in the midst. It is not because somebody else has bumped into him or that he is caught up in another thought.

          No.

          It is because he recognizes the second figure that appears from behind the first.

<< >>

          The previous writer’s block disappears as fast as it had appeared. His fingers are now flying across the keyboard as he continues to write the perfect plan. In fact, he is so captivated by the growing paragraphs that he does not notice when another figure appears from behind.

          “What are you doing?” her voice startles him.

          He whirls around and snaps his notebook shut. Suzy stands behind with a slightly surprised expression on her face. He is able to tell because her large eyes are wider than usual and makes a small “o”.

          Time had flown by so quickly that he had forgotten they were supposed to meet at 1:00pm. Quickly checking his watch, he sees that the time is 12:50pm.

          “You’re here early,” he notes. Scooting over, he then pats the seat next to him.

          Suzy timidly follows his instructions and sits down beside him. The scarf she wears loosens as the wind blows and she fixes it once.

          “I was just in the area. Do you like croissants? I bypassed a popular bistro on the way here and bought us some,” she hands him the small box, “I know croissants are unexpected from a place like that, but I can promise you – they’re really good!”

          Jaebum takes a peek in the box. Packaged in rows, there is a set of treats in chocolate, strawberry cream cheese and plain.

          “Sets of three,” Jaebum mumbles.

          Suzy looks up at him. “Sorry?”

          He gives her a small laugh, yet minute as it is, it still makes her heart tumble. “A set of three. I like working in sets of three,” he tells her. Jaebum opts for the original.

          She waits until he takes a bite before a smile breaks across her face. “Good, huh?”

          He nods, crumbs falling onto his laptop. He brushes them away before they can dirty it further.

          “What did you want to meet me for?” he asks her.

          From the strangely shaped bag she had brought with her, she takes out a wooden stand and a large piece of rolled paper. He watches as she sets up her easel and clips the paper to the side. It is blank.

          “I come here often to paint,” she explains as she takes out another small bag that is filled with sketching tools, “I think it’s so beautiful here.” She doesn’t add that she had chosen this place because when Baekhyun first disappeared, this was the closest she could be to Mark without actually bothering him at the station.

          “So you called me here to watch you paint?”

          “Sketch, actually. Today I’m here to sketch but in a couple of days I should be able to paint.”

          Jaebum leans back in his seat. He sees that a new light has taken over her eyes as she takes everything from the park into memory. Her pencil twirls in her fingers. Another small gust of wind blows the scarf away from her neck.

          Over their time together, they had become so used to being in each other’s presence that Suzy no longer shies away from him. There were moments when she would be reminded of the first night he stayed at her house, but she wasn’t one to dwell in the past so she quickly forgot it. At this moment, he was drawing the collar of her jacket up and fixing her scarf so that it would no longer loosen.

          While he is helping her, she continues to talk, “You know, ever since I saw you, a feeling has been itching at me. I kept thinking that before bumping into you at the station, I had seen you before! Now I know. You were the guy who thought I was a street artist!”

          Jaebum’s fingers falter as he sets them back on his lap. He does not move. What was it she had just said?

          “I was at the square near my studio that evening. It was particularly nice. I remember a small ensemble playing Classical music too. You had been the one to knock over my canvas.”

          No. It was not him.

          “Wait. It wasn’t you. It was the lady you were with!” When she remembers, she gasps.

          Jaebum turns when he hears her. There was not supposed to be a single person that could have remembered him with Sara that night. That was never part of the plan.

          Suzy holds her hand t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter