IX

Script of the Angel
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

               One red flag would be if certain words and phrases are continuously reiterated. “I didn’t… I didn’t…” This usually tells the listener that the person is using this time to gather thoughts. Going on and on about a certain topic should raise your second flag (if ones have not already been raised). In Dr. Lillian Glass’ “The Body Language of Liars”, she explains that liars often talk a lot to create a façade of openness with their talking. This is with the ultimate hope that others will believe them.

               “Any chance you’ve seen this woman?” Mark slides the photo across the table.

               Jaebum unfolds his hands and leans forward. A light smack of his lips before he answers, “No.”

               “Her name is Sara Michel. She is the woman who was found murdered in her room this morning.”

               “That’s rather unfortunate.”

               Mark clenches his jaw. Maybe it was not the tone. It may be the attitude that was annoying him.

               “You mentioned you were from out of town. May I ask what you’re doing here?”

               “I’m a novelist.”

               There is only a raised eyebrow to meet his comment.

               “I like to do research for my books. I thought I’d stop by and get some inspiration before I write.”

               “And how’s that going for you?”

               “Wonderful.” There is no hesitance in his answers.

               Yes. Definitely the attitude.

               “Well, what were you doing this morning around 5am?”

               “In bed.”

               “Of course. By any chance, would someone be able to testify to that? Or… are you here alone?”

               Jaebum lifted his hand and scratched his throat. His fingers lingered there as he seemed to be in thought.

               Areas such as the throat, chest, head, or abdomen may be covered by the person. Why not the legs? Or the arms? These areas are most vulnerable. Touching or covering the mouth is a way to literally close off communication.

               “Mr. Im?” Mark used the formality again, sensing Jaebum’s sudden hesitance to speak.

               “I was... with somebody,” he started his word slowly, “A woman. This is all between you and I, am I correct?”

               Mark nodded.               

               “I’m actually here with my girlfriend. It wouldn’t exactly be the best thing to tell her that I spent the night with another woman.”

               Great first impression. Not only was this guy an , but he was a cheating too.

               “Would we be able to speak to this woman to confirm what you’ve said?”

               “I don’t remember her. It was a bit of a foggy night.”

               Mark wanted to throw something at this man’s head. “Well, is there anything you would be able to tell us then?”

               Jaebum held Mark’s gaze. In his mind, he counted down. 4-3-2-1.

               A millisecond longer, and Mark would have pounced on this man for the possibility of keeping away the truth. However, Jaebum turned his eyes to the side and blinked.

               “I thought there was, but I may have been mistaken. I’m sorry I couldn’t have been of more help.”

               Offering the ever so slightest smile, Mark says, “Not a worry.”

<< >>

               The commercial’s jingle continues to run around in her head and she can’t help but whistle. Her mother had always reprimanded her for doing so, believing that an act was too masculine for a lady. Suzy still did it though. She needed to. It was the one thing she could do while Baekhyun couldn’t.

               “Suzy!” she hears her name being called the moment she steps foot into the floor.

               She turns and is greeted with a warm hug. He smells of vanilla and slight sweat, but she ignores it and smiles.

               “Hey, Jackson. It’s been a while, hasn’t it!”

               Jackson grins. He had voiced his opinion many times about how he thought she was so pretty, but she always turned him down with a smile. He knew he couldn’t push it, though. Mark had said enough for him to guess Suzy’s full story.

               “I smell something good in that bag of yours.”

               She holds it up proudly. “Yeah. Do you know where he is? I sort of owe this to him.”

               The other nods. “I believe he’s interrogating somebody right now. They went in a while ago, so he should be out soon. Perhaps you can wait at his office. I’ll send him a note that you’re here.”

               Suzy thanks him and takes both herself along with dinner into said office. Upon entering, she win

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter