[Ken] Closer

Daffodils In The Wind
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Set in the same verse as Let's Not Fall In Love and very loosely in Same Old Love .

In which Jaehwan meets the woman he loved in a bar after four years and no calls. Sometimes love never dies or goes away.

 

 

 

 

"Let's go over to the counter hyung" Hongbin told him. "Someone will see us" Jaehwan protested. "No one will. Plus the bartender is a friend" he told him. "Are you sure this is okay?" Jaehwan asked him, for the nth time. "Don't worry hyung. You will be fine" Hongbin assured him with a laugh.

Jaehwan let out a sigh. He had no idea why Hongbin had decided to drag him along to some place in Hongdae. He had already forgotten the name because he was bored. And the bartender was Hongbin's friend? Perhaps that explained the random clubbing he insisted upon. In any case, what was he doing here?

"You're back" the woman behind the counter said when the two of them reached the bar. "Yeah. And this time I bought a friend along. And you know he's older than me so I doubt you'll card him" Hongbin laughed. Jaehwan smiled at the bartender who just blinked back unimpressed. "With a baby face like that, I should have both of you escorted off the floor" she told Hongbin who just laughed.

"What will you both start with?" she asked them. "Nothing strong" Hongbin told her. She nodded and went about making drinks for the two of them. Jaehwan turned to Hongbin and raised an eyebrow. Hongbin shrugged. "Someone who doesn’t fall for you instantly?? Does she really exist?" he asked the younger man. "Hyung!" Hongbin protested before getting distracted by their drinks. He started talking to the bartender again and Jaehwan leaned against the counter.

"Excuse me bartender?" a woman next to him called out. "Yes Miss Kim?" the bartender said, coming over to her. "I'd like to close my tab. And also a glass of water if you can?" she told her. Jaehwan frowned. The voice was awfully familiar. He turned around to look at the woman discreetly while she paid the bartender but he couldn't get a closer look.

The woman turned to look at him and he coughed, focusing on his drink and his drink alone. "Jaehwan? Lee Jaehwan?" the woman asked him. "Haneul?" Jaehwan asked, pulling up the hoodie covering him. "Yeah. Hi" Haneul said, surprised to see him here. "I didn't expect to see you here" he told her. "Me neither” she replied awkwardly.

Jaehwan nodded to himself. The bartender handed him a whiskey and he looked up in surprise. She gestured to Hongbin discreetly who looked worried for him. Jaehwan knew that Hongbin knew who the woman next to him was. Anyone close to Jaehwan pre debut knew who Kim Haneul was. And anyone who had heard his songs knew her too. He raised the glass to Hongbin and took a sip.

Kim Haneul was his ex girlfriend. He had dated extensively in high school but Haneul had been the only one who had stayed long enough for him to be start getting serious about relationships. Till becoming an idol had become a priority. So much had been written and so much had been said about their breakup and his heartbreak. But he was speechless now.

It had been four years now. Four years and a very different Haneul was in front of him. The kind that wore dresses and high heels with her hair done up to match a model's hairstyle. No longer the awkward girl in a school uniform who would sneak away with him during study hall to help him practice singing or sometimes to just make out with him behind the basketball field.

“Well… it was nice seeing you around Jaehwan. I hope VIXX does well” Haneul said, getting off the high chair. Jaehwan nodded in reply. He watched her walk over to what looked like a group of her friends. He turned back to his drink which was sadly empty.

The bartender pushed forward another glass of whiskey for him before leaving. “Was that her hyung?” Hongbin asked, leaning closer to avoid being overheard. Jaehwan nodded. “What was her name?” he asked curiously. “Kim Haneul” Jaehwan told him. He turned to look at her and sighed, drinking the rest of his drink in one shot.

“Be careful there hyung” Hongbin warned him. “It's fine really” Jaehwan assured him. “If you say so” Hongbin said. They sat silently for a moment. Hongbin noted Jaehwan trying to particularly avoid looking in Haneul’s direction.

Jaehwan couldn't bring himself to look at her because all he could feel was guilt. What he had said to Hakyeon had not been a lie. But at the same moment he couldn't deny the pain and sadness that had come about from the process. Around 4 years ago, he had been given a shot at achieving his dream and he had cut off ties with everything else to go for it. And that had included his relationship.

Had it been an incredibly selfish thing to do? Yes. Had it been the only option? No. But at that point in time, it had been the best way to deal with everything. So Jaehwan had packed his bags and moved into the trainee dorms. He had called. Eventually. And perhaps they could have stayed friends if nothing more but they had stopped talking entirely. And after a point, probably stopped thinking about each other as well.

“What

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter