Chapter 3

When life changes unexpectedly

Haerin cursed herself over and over again as she was on her way to the CEO’s office. She felt like she was walking to her execution, it couldn't possibly be good news that the CEO wanted to share with her. ‘What if he somehow found out I slept with Leo?’ she thought and nervously bit her lip. When she reached the CEO’s office after what felt like forever, she hesitantly knocked on the door.

 

“Yes? Come in” could faintly be heard through the door. Her hand was shaking as she carefully pushed down the door handle and stepped in. His office was spacious with floor-to-ceiling windows that allowed a view over Han river.

 

“Good morning, CEO. You wanted to see me?” She said and bowed. She could see that he was eyeing her attire with a slight disapproval in his eyes.

“Ah yes, please sit down ms. Kim” he said and pointed at the chair in front of his desk. ‘Wow this is probably the day I die…’ she thought and was already planning how to escape the country as soon as possible.

 

Getting fired for sleeping with one of the idols at the company you work at probably wouldn't give you that good of a reputation when you try to look for other jobs. She nervously gripped at the hem of her dress.

 

“You have worked here now for some time, ms. Kim. From what I have seen you seem like quite the hard worker, and your colleagues had nothing but good things to say about you. You may have heard that mrs. Lee who is working as vixx makeup artist has quit right?” He said.

 

“Yes I have, sir.” She said. But what did it have to do with her? She worked with the stylists as their assistant.

“Well, you see, I would rather see that we fill her spot as soon as possible with someone already in the company,  and who knows all the routines. Would you be interested ms. Kim?”. She was shocked, to say the least. This was not what she had been expecting to hear from him when she was called to his office.

 

“I know that you have been only assisting the stylists up until now, but I thought I'd give you a chance at this opportunity since you got such good recommendations from your colleagues. You did have some sort of makeup education, right?”

 

“Yes, sir. I studied a makeup artist program at university” she said, still feeling shocked and confused over this sudden job offer.

“Then there shouldn't be any problems. Do you accept the job?” He asked and handed her a work contract and a pen. Even if she would want to decline the offer, it would be stupid.

 

“Yes, I gladly accept!” She said and grabbed the pen and wrote her signature on the paper.

“Well, if you don't have any questions you're free to go back down to the makeup room. They will be needing you, vixx has quite a busy schedule today”. He said as he put her signed contract into a folder.

 

She stood up and bowed, before heading towards the door. This was certainly not what she had been expecting at all. Maybe this day will turn out good after all.

 

“Oh! Ms. Kim! Before I forget, mrs. Lee was assigned to Leo so naturally you will be too. Also, do wear more… appropriate clothes from tomorrow onwards” he said, not looking away from his computer screen. She just nodded and bowed one last time before she exited the room.

 

Scratch that, this day turned out even worse than she expected.

 

She slowly walked to the elevator, dragging her feet. When she got into the elevator she pressed the correct number for the floor where the makeup room was, and she couldn't help but feel that she was walking closer and closer to her death.

 

And by death she meant the room where vixx, more specifically Leo, would be. The elevator ‘dinged’ to alert her that she had reached her floor, so she unwillingly got off and walked towards the makeup room. Once she reached it, she took a deep breath and knocked on the door before she opened it and stepped in.

 

Inside were six vanities with mirrors, and six chairs placed in front of them. And in those chairs sat none other than the members of vixx. Everybody had a makeup artist working on their makeup, except Leo who sat alone while listening to music on his phone.

 

And once she laid her eyes upon him, she realized that she had ran out on him at the hotel. She had escaped from him. This made things even worse, not only had she made the mistake of sleeping with him, she had been a total and escaped from him in the morning. She tried to push away all the bad feelings and memories, so she faced everyone and greeted them.

 

“Hi! I'm Kim Haerin, I'm replacing mrs. Lee from today onwards” she said and bowed to everyone in the room. They all looked at her, smiled slightly as they quickly bowed their heads before returning to putting makeup on the boys.

 

“You have to start on Leo right away, today's schedule is pretty packed. Since you arrived later you have to hurry, they have to be ready to go in 30 minutes” the girl who was doing N’s makeup said. Haerin nodded and swallowed nervously as she slowly approached Leo.

 

Haerin, get a grip! You only have 30 minutes to do this, you need to focus!’ She mentally reprimanded herself. Leo was still blissfully unaware of the awkwardness that was gonna take place just a few seconds later, he was still occupied with listening to music and looking through his twitter. She took a deep breath before she walked up to him.

 

“I'm sorry that I'm late, I'm Kim Haerin and I'm going to uh… replace mrs. Lee as your makeup artist from today onwards” she said nervously and bowed, barely daring to look him in the eyes. His eyes widened in shock as he looked up and realized who she were, and a slight blush spread across his cheeks. Seeing his reaction made her also blush profusely.

 

“Oh… uh… no worries” he said with his soft and quiet voice as he removed headphones from his ears. Haerin picked up a brown eyeshadow and a brush and turned to Leo and started applying it to the outer corners of his eyes.

 

This was definitely the worst day in her entire life, after everything that had happened she had to stand there and look him in the eyes. She had to try her best not to look away, seeing as it is quite difficult to apply makeup if you aren't looking at the spot where you are applying it.

 

“Seems like both of you had pretty fun last night since you both came dressed in the same clothes as yesterday. Did you also sleep somewhere else than your home Kim Haerin? Like Leo hyung” Ken snickered and Leo shot him the most flustered and deadliest glare she had ever seen.

 

“Wh-what? No, I just slept over at my friend’s place” she said nervously, not daring to look at anyone in the room. She just continued with Leo's makeup, finishing up the last touches before he was done.

 

“Jaehwan, let her be. Cut her some slack, she has a lot on her mind now I'm sure, with a new job and all. I bet this is different than being the stylists’ assistant” N said semi-harsh. He then turned to Haerin.

 

“Don't mind Jaehwan. Sometimes he doesn't think before he speak” he said with an apologetic smile.

“But I do have to say, it's not everyday that Taekwoon disappears without a word and sleeps elsewhere.” N said and turned to face Leo.

 

Haerin noticed that Leo was getting annoyed at his group members, but she didn't blame him, she would be too. She were just hoping that they wouldn't realize that she actually was the one he had slept with.

 

“Yeah, I saw hyung leave with a girl yesterday” Hyuk said and smiled like the secretly evil person he is. “Who is she, hyung?”

Leo stood up, and briefly put his hand on her shoulder as he walked past her and went towards the door. She blushed by the sudden touch.

 

“Just quit it, will you? I didn't leave with any girl yesterday” he said and glared at them before he put his headphones in his ears.

“You all better hurry, we need to go now” he added before he went out the door, slamming it shut behind him.

 

“I'm sorry Haerin, you're gonna notice that he has quite a temper, our Taekwoon” N said as he stood up and motioned for the rest of the vixx members to follow him.

“No, it's okay” she said with a little smile, and bowed at them before they walked out.

 

She sat down in Leo's chair and let out a deep sigh. This was going to be a hard job. All she wanted to do was to go home, change out of her party dress (that she was starting to loathe) and just sleep forever and forget that last night ever happened. A tap on her shoulder snapped her out of her thoughts.

 

“Pack all the makeup and get everything ready. Vixx are on their way to a radio show now and after that they have a photo shoot, so we have to be ready to go there and prep in about 2 hours or so” one of the makeup artist said before she hurried away to do whatever she had to do.

 

Another deep sigh left Haerin’s lips as she stood up and started packing all the makeup into a box that looked almost like a tool box. after she had packed everything, she had some time to spare before she had to go to the photo shoot location so she decided to go visit Eunji.

 

She took the elevator up one floor to where the stylists had their office. Eunji was packing some outfits for vixx that they were going to wear at the photo shoot.

 

“Oh, are you also going to the photo shoot?” Haerin asked and sat down by Eunji’s desk.

“Yeah. But where have you been? You never came back from the CEO’s office” Eunji said and looked at her confused.

 

“Yeah I'm sorry, but I kinda got a job offer?” Haerin said and chuckled. “You know mrs. Lee, the makeup artist? Well, she quit and they quickly needed to replace her and apparently I was a good choice for that”.

 

“Are you serious?! That's great! Wasn't she Leo's makeup artist? Wow I'm so jealous, he's so hot!” Eunji squealed and hugged Haerin. After she released Haerin from her grip, she looked at her up and down in a way that made Haerin feel very uncomfortable. She could sense an interrogation coming.

 

“Hold up a second, missy. This is the same clothes you wore yesterday, and those dark circles under your eyes look like . You didn't sleep at home yesterday, right? Spill the beans!” Eunji said and smirked. Haerin sighed. She knew that if Eunji wanted to know something, she would find out in one way or another, so for her own good it was best to just tell her the whole story instead of her finding out in some other weird way.

 

“Well… I think you're gonna have to sit down for this” Haerin said before she started explaining everything that had happened, and how awkward and uncomfortable her day had been so far. As she explained she saw how Eunji’s eyes got wider and wider in shock.

 

“You are joking right? You ran out on him?! Omg, Haerin! I can't believe that you, out of all people, had a one night stand. And now you have to be his makeup artist, that's karma right there! This is sooooo hilarious, I don't envy you at all!” Eunji said while laughing so hard that she was crying.

“You really put yourself in the middle of a huge pile of crap, you know” she said and wiped away the tears from her eyes.

 

“Can you stop, you don't need to rub it in” Haerin said and put her face in her hands. She kind of regretted telling Eunji, but it also felt nice that someone other than she and Leo knew about it because she sure as hell wasn’t going to talk about it with Leo.

 

“Fine fine, I will stop. But you have to promise me that you will tell me if anything happens between you two” Eunji said as she started to rummage through her makeup bag. “We seriously need to do something about that face of yours, because you look like you haven't been sleeping since you were born”.

 

She put on some BB-cream, a neutral winged eyeliner and some lip tint on Haerin, and when she was done she took a step back to admire the miracle she had accomplished.

 

“Wow, you actually look like a normal human being now! Now you just need some other clothes, and lucky for you I happen to have an extra pair of clothes in my bag. Go change into this before we go to the photo location, I think we can go together since we're both needed there” she said and pulled out a pair of black ripped skinny jeans and a simple white t-shirt from her bag.

 

Haerin grabbed the clothes and thanked her before she went to the bathroom to get changed. She felt a huge relief that she didn't have to wear that stupid party dress anymore. When she was done, she and Eunji met up with the other stylists and makeup artists and got into the van that was going to drive them to the photo shoot.

 

She looked out the window at the view of the streets as they passed by, and she started to feel how tired she actually was. She hadn't gotten much sleep because of certain activities that she and Leo had been up to for god knows how long.

 

A slight blush spread spread across her cheeks as she accidentally remembered their night together. She shaked her head, as if that would help her forget. When they arrived at the location she set up the makeup at the vanity she had been assigned, but she noticed that there was no chair for Leo to sit on.

 

“Hey, do you know where there are any chairs? I need one for Leo” she asked a man that was setting up the studio lights.

“I don't know, maybe over there in the room next to the dressing room” he said and pointed towards two doors that were next to each other.

 

She walked over to the doors but realized that she didn't know which room was the dressing room and which one that was the other room with the chairs, the doors had no signs whatsoever. She turned around to ask the man, but he was nowhere to be seen.

 

I guess I have to just guess which one it is, I haven't seen the vixx members yet so they probably haven't arrived yet’ she thought and randomly chose to open the door on the right. Big mistake. Her eyes widened in shock at the sight that was before her eyes. Inside stood Leo, in the middle of changing clothes. His pants were unbuckled and he was not wearing any shirt.

 

“Oh my god, I'm so sorry! I didn't know you had arrived yet, I was just looking for a chair but I went into the wrong room!” She yelled in a high pitched voice as she covered her eyes before slamming the door shut. It had all happened so fast that Leo didn't even had any time to react. Haerin hurried into the other room, where the chairs actually were, and leaned against the door as soon as she had closed it.

 

“Please give me a break from this horrible day!” she said with a big sigh and rubbed her temples. She was starting to think that someone wanted her to have a miserable life, because this day had been the worst and most stressful day of her life. A soft knock on the door made her jump in surprise.

 

“Kim Haerin? Can I come in?” Leo said in a soft voice from the other side of the door. ‘Oh my god, what does he want now? Please just leave me alone’ she thought. But she knew that she couldn’t just ignore him, so she reluctantly opened the door. Leo quickly looked around before he stepped in and closed the door behind him.

 

“What are you doing in here?” he asked.

“I was just looking for a chair for you because there was none at your makeup table, but then I accidentally mistook your changing room for the room with the chairs, and there you were… And I panicked” she said with a big sigh, not daring to look him in the face.

 

“Ah… I see. Well, there’s just… uh… I just have something I want to talk to you about. About last night” he said and awkwardly scratched the back of his head.

 

“Yeah, about that. I’m sorry I ran out on you this morning, I just panicked and didn’t think things through”.

 

“It’s fine, I understand. But I was just thinking, how about we just forget last night? Don’t get me wrong, last night was great. Really great. But I think it would be easier for us to maintain a professional relationship if we just… Forget about last night” he said, and a huge wave of relief ran through her body. He was thinking exactly the same as her, and she was glad that he brought it up rather than just ignoring it like her cowardly self had planned to do.

 

“Yeah, I totally understand! And I couldn’t agree more. Let’s just start fresh and anew from now” she said and smiled a little, and he smiled back at her. Both of them let out a sigh of relief.

 

“Well, let’s get out of here and get the makeup done. Then you can probably go home for today” Leo said and grabbed a chair before heading out of the room. She followed him soon after, and got started on his makeup for the photoshoot.

 

She was already feeling more relaxed since they had their talk, and she could feel that maybe her luck was starting to change, although much quicker than she had expected. She did his makeup in silence, but this time it wasn’t as awkward as earlier in the day.

 

When she was done with his makeup, he got up and walked over to where the other members of Vixx were standing and monitoring the single photos some of them had taken.

 

“We can go home now, Haerin. The managers will take care of the rest after the photoshoot is done” Eunji said and placed her arm around Haerin’s shoulders as they walked out of the building. Outside the sky had turned into a burning orange color.

 

Finally I get to rest after this long and horrible day’ she thought and sighed contently.


A new chapter is up, yay!
 
I've been working on this chapter all week, and it turned out longer than I had planned haha. But I hope that's not a bad thing? ;) Anyway, I hope you like it! Any thoughts on what you all would want to happen next?
 
Also, did you see the MV Teaser for 'The Closer'?! It looked so good, and the song sounds amazing! I can't wait until we get to see the whole thing~