005

Letters
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[CONTENTID1] 005 [/CONTENTID1]

[CONTENTID2] "His voice is like music to her ears." [/CONTENTID2]

 

[CONTENTID3] Hyeri lay on her bed in silence, blankly staring at the white ceiling. She can’t believe her luck. She just can’t believe her luck.

 

How can it be that the owner of the restaurant she’s eating at and the one she’s helped is his mother? Do Kyungsoo’s mother?

 

She clutched her head, feeling like it’s about to explode any minute.

 

God, I’ve seen him. I’ve seen him, she kept repeating in her mind. She closed her eyes and tried to reimagine how he looks – his wide eyes and almost blank expression; his heart-shaped lips; his angular jaw; his perfectly-chiseled features.

 

He looked so good. Way, way better than she had dreamed of.

 

And his voice. God, his voice. It was low and raspy but soft and melodic at the same time.

 

She doesn’t know how to put her thoughts into place and it’s overwhelming her to the point of insanity. She twisted and turned. She kicked her feet in the air. She screamed against her pillow. But still, it wasn’t enough to vent out her emotions.

 

It’s past 12 a.m. and she’s still a squirming mess. How is she supposed to live through this?

 

 

 

 

Do Kyungsoo sat behind his desk. Writing. Writing once again to the person who never wrote him back. He’s not supposed to do this. It’s not even the fourteenth day of the month. But what his mother told him a while ago forced him to do it.

 

“She’s from Suwon,” he remembered her saying as soon as the mysterious lady left. Hyeri, he managed to recall her name.

 

His grip tightened on his pen which made it snap in half, the viscous liquid dirtying his hand; ruining his work. He cursed under his breath and crumpled the now dripping paper, throwing it into his trash bin. He stood up and headed to their bathroom, trying to remove the black ink from his hand.

 

He misses her. Again. And it’s hurting him. As if having waited for her for a year never did anything to make him feel numb.

 

Why isn’t she writing him anything? Had she forgotten him? How could she? When they literally grew up together?

 

Kyungsoo closed the faucet and stared at his reflection on the mirror. He looked restless. He hasn’t slept properly for days – especially since the anniversary of her departure. She would’ve scolded him already if she’s here. If she’s here.

 

He recalled the last day they were together. They were at the river. They were seated on the boat – he, rowing the paddles expertly against the water. He told her then that he loves her. That he did, ever since they were ten. She only smiled at him and told him it was okay when he began apologizing for his stupidity. He didn’t want to ruin their friendship just because of his worthless feelings.

 

She told him then it was fine.

 

And he believed her.

 

But now he doesn’t know if he still does.

 

Would it be better if I hadn’t confessed? he wondered miserably before thinking better of it. He stepped out of the bathroom and back into his room. He plopped down his bed and covered his face with his pillow.

 

Never. Never would he feel sorry for admitting how he feels for her. Never would he regret loving her. And his feelings were never worthless. They were the best things in this world.

 

 

 

 

Hyeri sat entranced on the swing. Having slept late caused her to also wake up late. It’s already afternoon when the old woman woke her up, afraid that she might be dead or something. She went through her needs like a robot. She bathed. She ate. But her mind and heart weren’t in it. They were somewhere else. Somewhere that includes a small restaurant and a mysterious guy named Do Kyungsoo.

 

She still can’t believe she’s met him.

 

What a small world, she murmured in her mind, swinging herself. Her eyes spotted the monkey bars standing ahead of her and instantly remembered how that Do Kyungsoo narrated in his letters how he’d hang there upside down. Se Mi would watch him. It was another form of their bonding.

 

Hyeri felt curious and slowly made her way to the bars. She puffed her breath and pulled herself up, sitting above it. Being a daughter of a fashion expert, she has a mother who’s very much conscious of her body. She used to accompany her to some of her gym sessions so physical activities like this one are merely a piece of cake for her.

 

She bit her lower lip hard as she shifted to dangle her feet in the air. She slowly moved so she’s hovering upside down. She only has to remove her hands from the bars now.

 

Taking a final deep breath, she let go.

 

She was hanging down comfortably when she heard someone shout.

 

“HEY!” the voice was filled with horror that Hyeri quickly turned her head to check who the person is. Her eyes widened and strength left her knees when she saw Do Kyungsoo running towards her direction.

 

She could only wail in terror as her feet slid off the bar and she fell. But instead of the strong impact she was anticipating, all she felt was a faint thud and limbs tangling with hers. Then she heard a groan – a manly groan.

 

“Oh god,” she gasped as soon as she saw the man lying limp under her. She clumsily scrambled off him, her heart thumping against .

 

“A-Are you okay?” Hyeri stammered, scanning Do Kyungsoo from head to toe. She almost felt the ground gave way underneath her when she saw the trail of red running down his left arm.

 

Do Kyungsoo doesn’t seem aware of this for he huskily answered, “I’m fine.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter