004

Letters
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[CONTENTID1] 004 [/CONTENTID1]

[CONTENTID2] "He's my son... Do Kyungsoo." [/CONTENTID2]

 

[CONTENTID3] Hyeri’s alarm went off at eight o’clock in the morning. She crawled out of bed and immediately took a shower, preparing for another day.

 

She’s not really an early-riser but her situation right now deems it necessary. She cannot just lay down on her bed until dawn, no matter how enticing that thought is for her, she needs to find Do Kyungsoo. Or other of his favorite places.

 

Hyeri went downstairs and was welcomed by the old caretaker who was busy preparing her breakfast on the table.

 

“Sit down, child. It’s time to eat,” the woman spoke, hand pointed towards the head seat of the empty table.

 

Hyeri obeyed.

 

“Aren’t you going to eat, halmeoni?” she asked politely and the woman shook her head. “I’ve already eaten. Don’t worry about me. Go on, help yourself.”

 

Hyeri nodded and began feasting on fried eggs and bacon and some toasts. She wonders how the woman knew her style for breakfast.

 

“Your mother had specifically asked me to cook you American-style breakfasts,” the elder murmured as if she just read her thoughts. “She told me you love them.”

 

Hyeri hummed in appreciation and continued devouring. She’s done before 10 o’clock and was set to start another conquest.

 

“Halmeoni,” she called out softly as the elder cleared the dishes. Hyeri would’ve had done it herself but the woman was strict about telling her it’s her job. The person looked up in query. “Do you… perhaps… uhh…” Hyeri broke off, wondering if it’s right to ask the woman. Who knows, maybe she’s reporting everything Hyeri’s doing to her parents? She might instantly get dragged back to Suwon if they figured out what she’s planning.

 

The woman kept her questioning gaze at Hyeri and soon, the younger decided to give in, “Do you know a river somewhere around here? Or a cliff? Or a haunted house?”

 

Hyeri knew her question sounded so weird and most probably crazy. But whether the woman thought of her that way, she didn’t let it show. She just squinted her eyes at Hyeri as if she’s trying to calculate something at the back of her mind.

 

“Why are you looking for those places, child?” the woman asked softly.

 

Hyeri pursed her lips, feeling her cheeks burn uncontrollably.

 

“I-I’ve just read about them once,” she explained, half-lying and half-saying-the-truth. “I-In a blog. And I sort of got curious…”

 

“You’re from Suwon, aren’t you?” the woman asked again and Hyeri could only nod. What does her hometown got to do with this?

 

The woman observed her again for long moments and Hyeri almost thought she won’t be getting any information from her. But then the elder began spewing instructions and directions on how to get to each destination that by the time Hyeri had left the house, her head was boggling with too much data.

 

She decided to do the searching in an orderly fashion. There were a total of six places: the twins’ store, the playground, the oak tree, the cliff, the river, and then the haunted house. Hyeri went to the nearest one – the playground – and took photos of it. She headed straight to the twins’ store and bought herself an ice cream which she ate joyfully as she marched towards the school. There, she saw the same guard she’d asked yesterday who now stares at her peculiarly.

 

“May I help you with anything?” the man asked when he saw Hyeri looking at the gates as if any minute she’s going to burst through them.

 

“Is there an oak tree inside, Mister?” she asked politely, eyes not leaving the gates. The school was quiet and not a single soul can be seen inside.

 

The guard narrowed his eyes at her.

 

“There is,” he replied and noticed the gleam of delight that filled Hyeri’s eyes. Clearing his throat, he asked, “Would you like to see it?”

 

Hyeri’s eyes widened.

 

“Am I allowed to do that, Sir?” she whispered, as if she’s afraid someone might overhear them. Hyeri never experienced school but she’s not dumb not to know the basics – that one cannot enter unless he/she is a student or a guardian of a student.

 

The man examined her again and chuckled lightly, “You don’t look like someone who’s going to cause trouble at all.”

 

Hyeri blushed and stared down at her feet. With her petite figure and the melting ice cream held in her hand, she’s absolute she looked nothing close to being sixteen years old.

 

She heard metal creaking and looked up to see that the guard had pushed the gates slightly open for her. She blinked in disbelief.

 

“What are you waiting for?” the man asked, smiling warmly at her.

 

Hyeri almost tripped on her feet as she scrambled to get inside. She gave the man a ninety-degree bow to show her gratitude before disappearing to search for the tree.

 

As expected, no one was around inside. She gazed up at the buildings and saw some heads through the windows.

 

They’re having a class, Hyeri thought to herself, feeling envious again for never having experienced it.

 

She walked mindlessly, s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter