Chapter 52

Day by Day

Ji Hyo sits in the yard as she helps Eun Hye with the sewing of Yoo’s new robe. Eun Hye was grim and the way she looked at Ji Hyo was displeasing.

But Ji Hyo sits by her anyway.

“The stitch here should be crossed. And here-“ the needle pricked Ji Hyo’s hand as she touched the cloth.

Eun Hye had accidently pricked Ji Hyo’s finger. Aware of her carelessness, she apologized and off to help her.

As Eun Hye leaves to get a cloth, Ji Hyo tries to stop her but stops as the prick was deep.

She groans and gasps as someone grabbed her hand. She turns around at the person and is surprised to see Jong Kook standing there.

His gloomy expression remains as he examines her finger. She tries to pull her hand back but he suddenly slips her finger into his mouth, in the blood. Her eyes flew open and instantly hits him.

“What the hell are you doing?!” she almost shouts. “Don’t,” she pulls her hand back. He watches her pull back her finger. Though the bleeding had stopped she glares at him in disgust and tries to walk away.

He watches her step away from him. With no more words, she turns and leaves him.

***

Ji Hyo slips to her guest room, locking it tight. Just seeing his face raised her anger meter. How dare he show his face. She sits by the table and raises the tea cup to her lips before spitting it out. Too lost in her anger, she didn’t realize the tea was scorching hot.

The door knocked, “Lady Kim, the General wants to see you.”

Still cooling her tongue, she seethes irritably. “Tell him I’m resting.”

“But-“

Ji Hyo slams her fist on the table, “I said that I’m tired, see him out.” She stomped to her bed and rolled under the covers. It has been a while that she had fallen thrown a tantrum. And certainly, it wasn’t a pleasant sight.

As the silence occur for a while she felt sleepy.

Knock, knock. “Lady Kim,”

“Uh.. Yes?” she turns her body slightly to the door as she sat up.

“General Kim would like to see you.”

Her anger heighten again, “See him out, I’m resting.” She lies back in the bed and slowly drifts back to sleep when another knock interrupts her lucid dreaming.

Annoyed now, Ji Hyo sits up and throws the pillow at the door, banging it. “I said leave me alone! If you bother me once more, I’ll surely punish you!” then there was absolute silence.

The silence occurred for a while and Ji Hyo’s eyes were drooping to sleep until she felt her body being moved around. Why can’t she move…?

Her eyes flew open and she finds herself bundle up in the blanket like chicken ready to be roasted and seasoned kimchi ready to be fermented.

Struggling to move around, she peeks over her shoulder and sees a man in black fixing his cuff.

Alert and afraid now, she starts yelling but then the man turns around and covers . Her eyes widen in even more confusion.

Kim Jong Kook.

He uses the robe in his hand and covers with it before folding his arms in satisfaction. Struggling to move, she could only make small movements like a fish on dry land.

What is he planning? Dressed in black, covering himself up, tying her and covering … Is he going to kill her and bury her behind the mountains like those murderous stories? Or is he going to kidnap her and- AH, she didn’t want to think that far!

Making in audible noises to no use, he carries her over his shoulder and took the back door. She hadn’t realized it but the sky has already turned dark, the sun was setting.

He exit through the back door and she tried to scan the backyard for someone but couldn’t find anyone.

She is thrown inside the carriage as Jong Kook enters with her and the carriage moved.

Where is he taking her, especially in this situation, rolled up in the blanket, looking the least presentable. She frowns in fear of what is yet to come.

“Don’t worry, I won’t eat you,” he finally spoke, making her glare daggers at him.

“I-ummnt-aafr-dof-u.” Her voice muffled. She turns her head triumph and her nose in the air, ignoring him.

He unties the rope between her teeth as she finally lets out a big breath and stretches . Biting her lips, she glares angrily.

A slight grin appears on his face, infuriating her so much she wanted to wipe it right off.

“Where are you taking me?” she finally asked. The carriage came to a stop and he throws a baggage at her feet.

“Change your clothes, we have entered the palace.”

“P-Palace?” she sat up immediately, restrained by the fluffy blanket. “Why the palace?”

He ignores her questions, “Wear the new clothes and tidy up yourself.”

“How am I supposed to change like this?” she struggles in the blanket. He scoots closer and closed the distance between them. His hands touched the rope that secured her under the blanket but he didn’t bat a lash as he leaned close to her face.

She notices it and backs up until she hits the corner of the carriage with nowhere to escape. She gulps as he slowly unties the rope and with every move, his face came closer to hers as she could smell his breath that touched her nose.

“I’ll be waiting outside,” he says as he removes himself from her, unleashing the rope as he exits the carriage.

She sat up, annoyed with his tactics. She almost fell for it. Jinri enters the carriage to help her change.

***

Ji Hyo steps out of the carriage, dressed into the finest silk of a magenta colored skirt and pastel white cream-colored shirt paired with simple jewelries. With her hair in a neat braided bun, Jong Kook looks up at her in awe.

Though maintaining his cold composure, his heart beat violently as he gazes at her. He stops as she reaches him.

“Why are we here?” she asked blatantly. He looks up and walks ahead of her as she huffs before following him.

“The King had invited us to join the banquet for the completion of the Army of weaponry. He wanted to see you, especially. It is also the 13th Prince’s birthday.” He stops and looks at her as she did the same.

“And?” she stares at him. “You want me to keep my distance and save your face?”

He said nothing but continued walking.

They walked toward the stairs as Ji Hyo remembers of the time Jong Kook carried her out of the prison and confronted the King and officials of her being frame.

Climbing the stairs while holding onto her skirt, the memories flushed back to her mind. The times he spent with her there, holding her hand and their intense kiss.

Lost in thought, she stumbles on the stair and misses the step, fumbling back but his hand reaches out and pulled her towards him.

With his arm around her waist and the other holding her hand, they stare into each other’s eyes as she looks up at him.

The maid and other officials behind them stopped, their eyes as big as bubbles about to burst. Ji Hyo’s face reddens as she stutters a thanks.

She holds her skirt and hurried up the stairs while Jong Kook follows her. He looks behind him, staring at the officials and their wives. The women looks away, blushing and the daughters of the officials shyly stare in awe as they glanced away.

***

They sat side by side as the banquet had started. The dancers flutter around the open yard at the top of the palace. The decoration was exquisite as well as the food. Many officials and their daughters were taken present.

To her surprise, Eun Hye was also there, but alone.

Ji Hyo was promoted to the 1st rank of virtuous lady in the women’s department. Her intelligence was shone in the room. Though she humbled herself, the King praised her profusely. Offering a drink, Ji Hyo could not avoid.

The 13th Prince’s birthday was celebrated as the King gave another toast to his son.

The doors open and a neat Yoo enters. Paying his respect with a deep bow, he sat two rows beside Jong Kook, which directly faces in front of Eun Hye.

The King congratulates Yoo and his future bride, that will form an alliance between Mongolia and Goryeo. With the drink in front of him, Yoo politely refused it, raising eyes to his attention.

She, herself, stopped whatever she was doing and slowly looked beside Jong Kook where Yoo sat.

She didn’t like where this was going but before she could say anything, Jong Kook stood up, bowing to the King, to forgive Yoo for his rejection.

“Hold on,” she called and stood up. Everyone stopped and looked at her this time. Yoo ignored her as he looked down. She turns to the King, “Since Lieutenant is not able to take the drink given by the King, please let this lowly foreigner drink on his behalf.”

She bowed her head and smiled innocently.

Yoo’s eyes shot up at her.

The King smiled, “The Mongolian bride would like to take Lieutenant’s cup of wine?”

“Yes your majesty, it is a waste to know that a drink offered by your majesty is to be thrown out after your prestigious offer and generosity to forgive my future husband. I ask to drink on his behalf.”

She gulps down the wine and sat down in her brightest smile. Ji Hyo could feel the tension in the court room instantly but as she wonders what is going on-

“Don’t think too much,” Jong Kook’s whispering voice enters her mind. She glances at him.

Ji Hyo and Jong Kook sat by each other silently. As the music played cheerfully and wine was poured, the 13th prince stood up and walked to their table.

Ji Hyo looks up as the 13th prince stood in front of her. Jong Kook didn’t turn his head but his eyes definitely did.

“I heard that Lady Kim is a great philosopher, intelligence almost equaling to a scholar.” He Smiles at her. “If General Kim would not mind, I would like to start off a riddle match with Lady Kim.”

Jong Kook turns to him and curled a thin smile. “The lady has been sick for a while, I’m afraid she may not be up to your highness’s expectations,” he excused.

The prince still kept his cheeky smile but concern expression, “The lady is ill?” He looks at her, “You should have told me, I will have the doctor check on you.”

Ji Hyo bowed her head, “Thank you for your generosity your highness.” She kept her head down.

He moved closer and reached a hand out, touching her chin then raising her head. “Lady does not have to look down. Please, continue to treat me the same you always had.”

Ji Hyo was surprised by his sudden skin ship gesture, especially in the court of all eyes and ears. She met his eyes as he raised her head. He smiles at her, genuinely.

Suddenly, a hand touched the prince’s. Jong Kook removes the prince’s hand from Ji Hyo’s face. Jong Kook looks up at him. “Thank you for your worries your highness, but it is etiquette.” The prince and Jong Kook had a staring contest before anything else. “As for a physician, I already had someone to check up on the lady, no need to worry yourself.”

It was his way of telling him to back off from Ji Hyo. Ji Hyo moves back in her seat and stands up. “I would like to excuse myself,” and she bowed lightly to everyone in court before leaving them all behind. The 13th prince stepped back to his seat as his eyes linger after Ji Hyo stealthily.

***

Ji Hyo sits outside in the lit garden. Taking a break became a stroll in the chambers she last reside in from her last visit. Sitting by the cemented bench, she remembers leaning on his shoulder as he holds her hand.

The ripples in the water reminds her of him as she felt fresh tears coming to her eyes. All the emotions cornered her as she relives those loving memories of him.

“I like you. No, I love you.”

She felt the salty tears on her lips as she wipes it away.

“Please,” Ara kneeled on the ground. “You can call me any names you want to but I really have no other choice. No home to return to, no family, no one. I only have Jong Kook oppa. This place is my home.”

Ji Hyo tried to get Ara to stand up.

“Get up first Ara,” but Ara stayed put and bowed to Ji Hyo.

“You still have your father, your status, your will. My only purpose in life now is to stay next to Jong Kook oppa. I apologize for not even being shameless to ask this of you.”

“Liar,” Ji Hyo mutters under her breath as her eyes turn into blazing betrayal. Picking up a pebble, she throws it into moon’s reflection in the pond.

From afar, Jong Kook watched her. He keeps his silence and let her take out her anger on the pond while throwing skipping rocks, skidding on the surface of the pond, he did not stop her. It was as if he could feel her pain.

He turns around and fresh tears were held back as he waits for her to leave safely.

***

The King announced that the purpose of tonight’s banquet was not only in celebration of the success in the weaponry and the 13th Prince birthday but also to choose a Princess consort for him.

“Look around for the candidates yourself,” the King tells his son. The 13th Prince lazily looks up at the young women. Every one of them with the virtuous clothes, their cherry tinted lips, pastel clothes and jewelry that twinkled had him looking around in a faze.

They sat up in their best composure, smiling conservatively as their head hang low.

Ji Hyo then enters the room from the corner only for him to look at her.

Taking the jug of wine, he gulps it down, chugging it with his face turning pink.

The Prince smiled at the crowd of ladies and bow his head to his father, the King.

Music and dancers came into view in the celebration hall. It was a while later that the King excused himself as he became drunk. He let the entertainment go on and the princes and princess holds the event longer.

The officials sat together while the ladies were moved to a different hall and get ready for the Prince’s candidacy.

*

Ji Hyo sat around, waiting for Jong Kook as he was nowhere in sight. She didn’t find the fun in sitting here, listening to officials chat about the political problems nor was she interested in the ladies’ gossip of becoming Princess consort.

She wanted to leave.

After waiting long enough, she finally stood up to look for Jong Kook, at least make it look like they were leaving together. Just as she passed the ladies’ hall, a drunk 13th Prince grabs her hand.

Ji Hyo turns around and yanks her hand out of his grip as he stumbled by the wall.

He started chuckling dryly then pointed at her.

“13th Prince,” she calls him.

Still lighting, he looks up at her, “I’m offended. You, you won’t let me touch you but your cheating husband can?”

Ji Hyo’s eyes narrow coldly at him, “I’ll take my leave.”

His laugh stopped and he aggressively grabbed her shoulder to face him. She pushes his arm off her, twisting it as she pushed him back away from her.

Stumbling by the boulder, he glanced at her intently. He smiles a bit before turning back to her, a much darker grin.

He stood up, holding back his Royal Blue robe, as he steps toward her.

“Be my Princess Consort.”

Ji Hyo did not blink, or even moved by his words.

*Flashback*

He holds Ji Hyo in his chest as he back hugs her. Frozen, she stood still.

“H-Hanbin.”

“Ji Hyo, I like you. I like you so much it’s driving me crazy.”

“13th Prince,” Ji Hyo struggles.

He could feel her strong protest but that made him clutched onto her tighter.

“Ji Hyo-ah,”

“Please don’t do this,” Ji Hyo speaks as she breaks free from his grasp.

“Please!” he calls after her as she steps away from him. Desperately, he pleads her. “My feelings for you are real. I don’t want to marry her and you know that this is a political marriage. Nothing is real!”

“13th Prince,” she regained her composure. “Please return to your palace. Your wedding is tomorrow. Don’t make this difficult for me.”

“Can you even hear me?” He raised his voice. “I’m telling you I like you, I’m in love with you!” His voice softens, “And I don’t want to marry another woman.”

“Whether you marry a noble lady or is in an arrange marriage, what does it have to do with me?” she asked. “13th Prince, you and I are only childhood acquaintance. Nothing more, nothing less. If you are here to confess your feelings for me as something between a woman and a man then please, leave right now.”

“Song Ji Hyo,” he looked at her unbelievably, “Why are you doing this?”

“Doing what?”

“You are purposely blocking me away.”

“Your marriage has nothing to do with me.”

“It does!” He shouted angrily, “I’m here to tell you that it is not my choice to take that noble lady as my concubine. Though she will become a part of my harem, I wanted to explain to you, have you understood that no matter who I marry, the only one to take the title as my Princess Consort is only you!”

A moment of silence went by before Ji Hyo looked up at him again. Her eyes were cold and emotionless.

“13th Prince, I will not see you out.” She turns but looks back at him. “Don’t ever raise your hand to me again, or else I’ll really hurt you.” She walks away without looking back, leaving him in utter anger.

*Flashback to Present*

Ji Hyo only glares at him and turns around to leave him alone. Hanbin threw the ceramic jug of wine on the ground, creating a loud crash.

“Why?!” He huffs and looks up at her as she stops in her steps. “Why him and not me?”

Ji Hyo chose to ignore him and continue walking away. He angrily grabbed her, catching her clothes first. As he pulls her back, the delicate silk of the back of the creamy shirt tore. The titter tatter of the silk screech and a piece lied in his hand as Ji Hyo faces him.

There was a big tore in the back of her shirt, revealing her back and remnants of her white under garments. Ji Hyo held onto the boulder as she stumbled from his violent pull.

Knowing that they have caught the attention of the others, with her hands trembling with seething anger, she stepped towards the prince. Walking right up to his face, she delivers a loud smack, a thunderous clap against his skin, leaving a red mark.

With his red face, stricken by her struck, he slowly turns to look at her. His eyes flaming with lust and fiery, he grabs her shoulders as she defiantly glares at him, not fighting back.

He moves in, forcing himself onto her as Ji Hyo dodges and wrestles him to the ground. But as a man, he purposely grabs her, reaching for her skirt. Only then, a muscular arm reaches out and pulls Hanbin’s arm back.

Hanbin is shoved to the boulder and Jong Kook swiftly takes off his outer robe, putting it around Ji Hyo.

“You en bastard!” Hanbin shouts and charges towards Jong Kook. Jong Kook dodges and trips Hanbin, making him flail to the side in his drunk state.

He picks up the rocks and threw at Jong Kook, hitting him by scraps. Jong Kook charges towards him, avoiding and ignoring the inflicts of the rocks that he threw himself on top of the Prince. With his fist ready, he punches Hanbin, once, twice. Until Hanbin was in a messy pulp.

Ji Hyo pulls Jong Kook back but he won’t stop.

“Please stop!” Ji Hyo shouted at him. Jong Kook stops, turning to her.

“Where did he touch you?” his voice cold, demanding.

She stares at him and spoke in a soft voice, “Whatever he did and whatever he said, it didn’t hurt as much as you did and said.”

Silently seething, he lets go of the prince, climbing off him. With nothing else, he puts his arm around Ji Hyo, escorting them out of the palace as the onlookers and servants come to aid the prince.

***

As they sat silently in the carriage, Ji Hyo looked outside the window as Jong Kook closed his eyes, crossing his arms, and leaning back on the carriage.

The carriage stopped and they stepped out while Ji Hyo dreaded. She hesitate before pulling the drapes over and exiting. She stood in front of the Kim’s mansion.

A cold Jong Kook looks at her and went ahead, entering the mansion. Instead of running away, Ji Hyo walked right in. She headed towards her chambers, tired and exhausted. Forget about anger, forget about it all.

She tells herself she will stay and rest for tonight. Just tonight. Tomorrow, she will go to her father’s home.

Dragging her feet, she stops and glances at the pavilion. With her worn out self, she reluctantly walks to the bridge.

She hated him. She hated him to his guts. As much as she hated him, her heartache as much. How could he think of her in that way? How could he say those things to her?

Going back, she enters the hall and opens the door. Jinri follows her but Ji Hyo ordered her to leave her alone.

Locking the door behind her, she slumps against the door, taking a dee breath. Without further due, she starts undressing, throwing Jong Kook’s outer robe on the table as she goes to her dressing table.

As soon as she was accessory free and had change into a new pair of white undergarments, she moves to her bed. The candlelight was out and she lied in bed.

Drifting to sleep from her already fatigue nap from earlier, she holds the blanket and sniffs it. It was a habit she had since she was a child. After her mother’s death, she had taken her clothes and sniff it then she’ll be happy. Or whenever she missed her mother dearly.

Tonight, the scent was rather different from her lemon leaves, peach blossom scent. The fragrance was rather a mix with cedarwood and amber.

She shifted and turned, Weird, she thought. She tugs the blanket around her tiny body but felt a heavy weight. Turning to yank the blanket, she felt a hand. Pulling her hand back in shock, she backs away, tumbling off the bed.

Her yelp alerted the maids and she crawled to the candle. Lighting it as quickly as she can, she raises the lit candle to the bed with a hair pin in her other hand.

Raising it over the bed, the figure turns around and Jong Kook’s face was revealed.

Sighing in relief, she put down her hand.

“Kim Jong Kook!” she yells at him.

He cuddle in bed and wrapped himself under the blankets as she was one inch close to kicking him off the bed.

She puts down the candle and nudges him awake. “Wake up,” she shook him. “Go sleep in your chamber. Kim Jong Kook.”

He ignores her, “Leave me alone, I need to sleep.” He lazily mumble. She pulled and tried to drag him off the bed but he didn’t budge.

With no choice, she sat on the floor, dejected by her efforts. She hugged her pillow to her chest, frustrated by his annoying presence. She decided to sleep on the floor after dragging out another blanket.

*

Epilogue for this chapter

Jong Kook weakly walks into the room. Sitting in the messed-up corner that Ji Hyo had created before running away, he hugged his knees. His lip had stopped bleeding from the punch Yoo made.

His wet hair dripped down the side of his face as he listens to the light rain sprinkled off the roof.

He missed her.

Remembering Ji Hyo’s shock expression, he beat himself up. She had never shown him her anger before, one that makes him speechless.

He slips onto her bed, bringing the blanket to his chest, her fragrance linger on. Resting on the bed, he drift into a faint sleep as he lied there.

Sleeping in the bed at dawn, he woke up by sunset. His stomach growled but his appetite was low. He refused to see anyone or come out of the room. Dejected, he decided to keep himself busy as he cleaned her room and the mess. It was midnight when he finally sat down after rearranging her items.

He brought his things to her room, creating his presence. When he was satisfied, he starts falling lied by the bed, falling fast asleep.

He was determined to bring her back. It was a problem in their marriage and he was adamant to fix it. Holding onto the pillow, he woke the next day, ready and calmed.

Jong Kook sets out to Yoo’s personal place to look for Ji Hyo.

******************************************************************************

From the last few chapters, I notice that most readers were upset at the poll set up. This is a Spartace story. It is. Though as I work through this story, I waver towards the ultimate ending. A story is a story, it can be sad or happy. The poll was based on the perspective of how the ending will be. Yes, with the votes being ultimately for a happy ending for Spartace, I have nailed it with a sun flower on top.

As for the Chapter 51.5, the Gong Yoo Arc Edition was meant to show Yoo's perspective in this story, not his ending.

To those who are encouraging, thank you for the warm words. I am grateful for the positivity. I will continue to write the story how I had planned it. Thank you for still reading this draggy, complicated story.