Chapter 13

Day by Day

Arrows were shot and a rabbit lies down.

Ji Hyo runs to catch her prey. She picked it up from its ears, seeing the fully plump animal, Ji Hyo was contented.

Yoo looks at her, “Pity.”

“I won,” Ji Hyo claim as she got back to the horse.

“I admit, your archery skills were beyond my expectations.” Yoo nodded, “But I won.”

“How?” Ji Hyo asked.

“Because I said so,” then he rode away as Ji Hyo catches up with him.

They stopped as the sun was disappearing at the top of a hill.

“We should return to camp now, the night is near.” Yoo said and Ji Hyo nodded in compliance.

They continued but the sun set so fast that they realized they had gone hunting a bit farther than they were supposed to. The sky turn purple to dark blue, as the sight became darker.

“I can’t see anything,” Yoo said then turns to Ji Hyo, “Do you have small lighter to make a fire torch?”

Ji Hyo shook her head, “I only have enough to start a small fire. We’re too far from camp.”

Yoo didn’t know what to do, they can’t just aimlessly roam back to camp.

“Let’s spend the night here,” Yoo said, “and go back by sunrise.”

Ji Hyo opened her eyes wide and stares at him. “What do you mean?”

Yoo realizes what she meant. “I mean what I said.” He showed her the way. “It’s too dark, we can’t just aimlessly wander like this. We’ll get hurt.”

Ji Hyo bit her lips and looked up at the sky that has turned grey and darker, the moon has already shown bright.

Her brows furrows, “You’re right.” She looked at the moon’s shape, “He won’t even think about me at all,” she whispered and turned her horse around. “Where should we stay?”

~Settling by a fire pit built by Ji Hyo’s small lighter

Yoo poked at the fire as Ji Hyo took a drink of water. They stayed silent as Ji Hyo moved to roast the rabbit.

“How’s the Kim household?” Yoo asked after Ji Hyo sat blankly by the fire.

“You already know, Lieutenant Yoo.” Ji Hyo answered.

Yoo looked at the burning fire as it reflected in his eyes. He leaned back on the tree and closed his eyes, remembering how he saw Ji Hyo was hurt by Jong Kook’s actions.

“If it hurts,” he said, “then leave.”

Ji Hyo chuckle lightly, “I wish I could.”

“You can.” Yoo replied. “As long as you have the courage, you can do anything.”

Ji Hyo looks over at him as she heard him speak differently, as if he was emphasizing his words literally, not just playfully.

“I guess I am a coward then.” Ji Hyo answered as Yoo opens his eyes to look back at her. “A coward with no courage or determination to leave.”

“Jong Kook already has a wife and you know it clearly, their relationship and feelings. But what is it that’s making you stay?”

“It is my duty,” Ji Hyo answered with no hesitation. “The duty of a daughter and a wife.” Her voice almost cracking as she said those words. Yoo looked at her unbelievably and sighed.

“Duty?” He raised his head back to look at her. “To you women, is being patient for someone who doesn’t love you your duty?” Ji Hyo kept her eyes on him.

“Yes.”

Her eyes grew fond and soft. “Because we are not men. Because we are not sons. Because we are living in the days where a man can have more than one wife is inevitable, we have no choice but to be patient.”

Their eyes lock.

“Why?” her eyes changed almost grimly and into a faint smile. “You think I enjoy looking at my husband care for another woman in front of me? Hugging and kissing? Make love?”

She shook her head lightly. “I don’t. We don’t. We just live with it, because it would be a disgrace if we ran back to our families.”

“It’s not too late,” Yoo interrupted. “Your father should be able to understand you.”

Ji Hyo wondered many things as he told her to leave Jong Kook.

“It doesn’t matter if you a woman or man, all that matters is if you are willing or not willing to.”

“Lieutenant Yoo,” he paid attention to her at the mention of his name. “Do you have a sister?”

Yoo froze at her question, unable to speak.

She nodded in agreement. “You don’t.” then she turned away, “That’s probably why you will never know what a woman goes through.” She turned away and slept on the tree.

Yoo’s eyes grew watery but he kept his eyes on her back as she crouch by the tree, all alone.

Ji Hyo’s heart grew cold and lonely as she stares up at the sky. The moon shine bright, making her heart ache even more.

He’s probably hugging her in his arms. They are probably cuddling, making love, and… so happy together now. A tear fell from Ji Hyo’s eye as she thought about it. Them kissing, hugging, feeding each other, sleeping together, treating each other like… husband and wife.

She closed her eyes, letting free of the tear that burned her eyes, biting her lip from letting out any sounds.

What if Ara gets pregnant? What if Jong Kook sends her back to her father? What if he doesn’t even respect Ji Hyo anymore? What if … what if she can’t stop loving Jong Kook? What if she can’t find someone who will love her, for her? Will she be left in solitude in the Kim Household forever?

Ji Hyo breathes deeply in and out. Just imaging all of that coming to life was too heart wrenching. She could barely breathe, barely move her body. She doesn’t want to imagine it.

“Jin Hee,” Yoo’s voice interrupted her thoughts. “My sister…” his voice strained as he tried to speak.

Ji Hyo turned back to him as she wiped away her tears.

Yoo touched poked at the fire with the branch.

“She became a concubine to the Mongolian King when she was 17.” Yoo gulped. “Of the two years she stayed there, not a single day goes by that she was happy.”

Ji Hyo felt remorse, guilty for saying all those words to Yoo.

“I couldn’t take her home… even for the last time.” He looks up at her, “or save her before her last breath.” His watery eyes restrained as he smiled faintly. “Maybe it was love you say. Maybe it was her duty.” He paused as he notices Ji Hyo looked at him with guilt and pity.

“I don’t know why she stayed. But I do know that she was forced to marry him… by the imperial decree sent by his majesty, an opinion made by my father.”

Their eyes lock as he looks deep into her eyes for an answer.

“When she finally begged for my help in the crowd of hundreds of citizens, I couldn’t even help her. Separated by 20 feet.” His voice grew violent and stern. “Just 20 feet… and I-I… I couldn’t save her.”

“Did she…?” Ji Hyo asked. Yoo looked away from her. She looked down as she knew what he meant by that, “I’m sorry. I didn’t know.”

“No one does.” Yoo answered with his back facing her. “They only realize what they really wanted in the end.” He sniffs, holding back his tears. “So don’t torture yourself. Jong Kook really loves his wife. He may have showed you compassion but that is not love. It’s only sympathy.”

Ji Hyo look at his back and wanted to apologize but she couldn’t.

The night passes by them… The fire starts to flicker out. However as the night grew cold, she shiver in her sleep. She felt a warm cloth around her body.

Ji Hyo turned around to see him. Yoo started the fire again as he tried to figure out the time, patting the horses.

On her shoulders was his robe, a deep red-colored robe engraved with the characters of a soldier.

Somehow, she felt safe. Although she told herself she was thankful for his actions and words, a small flicker in her heart grew. A tiny space in her heart crept to the surface and peeked at him as the charcoal smeared on his cheek.

She found herself smiling only to pretend to fall back to sleep when he turned around to look at her.

Yoo smiled to himself as he look at her sleep.

Although your side may be cold, I hope it helps. Even if it can’t give you the warmth that he can, at least you are warm.

***

Jong Kook walked back and forth uneasily. He couldn’t stop fidgeting around camp.

“General Kim, we haven’t found Lady Kim yet.”

“What?” Jong Kook almost roared at the soldier. “There’s only one of her and there are so many of you and you can’t find her?!”

Ara comes out of the tent as Jong Kook hasn’t even rest, still waiting for Ji Hyo and Yoo.

“I want you to go out with the men and look for them now!”

“Oppa,” Ara came behind him as the soldier ran away to gather the soldiers. “What’s wrong? Why are you so mad?”

Jong Kook turns to her. “Go back inside alright?”

“Is Miss Song not back yet?”

Jong Kook nods frustratingly.

“What could have happened? Didn’t you say she was going to be back by dark?”

“I-…I don’t know.” Jong Kook mutter. “She said so but-” He clenched his fist tightly. “That woman.” he gritted his teeth.

Song Ji Hyo, where are you???

He couldn’t imagine her and Yoo being together in this dark night. But at least she’ll be safe with him. Somehow, that thought even disturbs him endlessly, making his mind scatter.

***

Early dawn came and Ji Hyo could barely open her eyes. She squinted her eyes open to see Yoo putting out the fire. She sits up and holds onto the robe around her shoulders.

“You’re up?” Yoo asked as he heard her moving. He turns to look at her, her hair was slant and her eyes were swollen. “Goodness,” he was almost shock.

“What?” Ji Hyo looked around.

“Your eyes are…. so big.” he pointed to his eyes to show her. “Like two boiled eggs.”

Ji Hyo rolled her eyes and got up to him. “Are we heading out now?”

“Yes.” He picks up the left over torch and walks over to the horse. “Can you get on the horse?”

Ji Hyo nods and walks toward her horse. Yoo looks at her climb before he does the same.

They were on their way out to the field again as the chilly morning breeze ran along with them.

Yoo moved up and down gallantly on his horse, his hair flew up and down as Ji Hyo notices him. Now that she looks at him carefully, he is tall. Not only tall but manly, his shoulders were not a broad as Jong Kook’s but he has a spike to him. He was… a beautifully gorgeous man. He was dressed in his black and white uniform with hints of red stitches.

That’s when Ji Hyo remembered that she still has Yoo’s robe.

“Lieutenant Yoo!” Ji Hyo stops the horse. Yoo stops his horse and looks back at Ji Hyo.

“Your robe,” She hurries to take it off.

“Keep it on,” Yoo insisted.

“But-“

“It’s cold. You can return it to me when we arrive in camp.” Yoo ensured her. “It doesn’t stink, I promise.” He smiled and turn back to ride his horse to lead their way. Ji Hyo thinks to herself and ride beside him.

“Can I ask you something?”

“What is it?” Yoo only looked for a familiar sight through the fields.

“Why don’t you go by your surname as Lieutenant Gong instead?”

“Why?” he looks back at her, “Are you curious about me?”

Ji Hyo flushes pink and looks away. “No. Let’s just go back.”

Yoo grins, seeing Ji Hyo turn away.

They see a group of soldiers on horses riding around as they halt. It was one of their men. The soldiers saw them immediately rush over.

“Lieutenant Yoo!” the soldier exclaim. “Lady Kim!”

“What’s wrong?”

“Thank goodness you two are safe. General Kim is looking for you.”

Yoo’s face grew worried and Ji Hyo was astonish to know that Jong Kook was looking for her. She did tell him she was going to be back by dark but she didn’t expect him to go look for her.

They arrived in camp as the atmosphere grew hazy. From the entrance of troops, she could see the camp rushing around them. Ji Hyo got off her horse as Yoo came beside her, to assist her down.

Jong Kook sat in the camp, biting his fingers and rubbing his temples as Ara assist him.

“General Kim, Lieutenant Yoo and Lady Kim has arrived in camp.”

Jong Kook clocked his tired eyes open and quickly gets up from his chair.

“Where are they?” Jong Kook asked as he walks out of the tent.

He stops right as he sees Yoo helping Ji Hyo get off the horse and she took off a robe and handed it back to Yoo. He rushes over to them, trying to be as calm as he could but his heart grew fiery.

Ji Hyo looks over and sees Jong Kook come toward them. Her eyes stayed on his as he did too.

But there, she saw Ara running out of the tent after Jong Kook in a small cape. Jong Kook’s cape. Her heart dropped, adrenaline pumping fast.

Jong Kook stopped right before Ji Hyo and Yoo as Ara stood behind Jong Kook.

“Leave us,” he ordered the soldiers. When they were alone, he finally spoke. “Where have you two been?” Ara quickly holds his arm to calm him down.

Ji Hyo’s eyes were glued to the arm link of Ara and Jong Kook. Her voice stayed silent.

“We had forgotten about the time and got lost.” Yoo answered.

“Why didn’t you come back earlier?” he asked Ji Hyo this time. Yoo knew as he sees Jong Kook looking over at Ji Hyo. But she wasn’t looking at him. Her eyes were on their arm link.

“I’m talking to you, Ji Hyo.” he gritted his teeth. 

Ji Hyo’s eyes moved to the ground as she look at their feet. They were dressed in their sleeping clothes. She could see the small hickey on Ara’s neck. Her confidence deflated as her worst imagination did come to life…

Jong Kook moves from Ara’s arm link and grabs Ji Hyo by the arms, shaking her.

“Answer me!” He yelled. Ji Hyo didn’t flinch as she try restraint herself. Yoo flinch, almost stepping forward to stop Jong Kook.

Why wasn’t she looking at him? Why can’t she? Jong Kook wondered as his chest burn.

Ji Hyo finally looks up at him with tears in her eyes.

(Listen to this if you would like)

(That woman- Baek Ji Young) [ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZQ9rDa2JG8 ]

“Did you sleep well?” she whispered.

“Don’t try to change the subject,” he gritted his teeth.

Ji Hyo’s eyes grew watery as her voice was cracking. “Did you have good dreams?”

Jong Kook’s grew frustrated. His head was a mess now. How could she ask him this? He couldn’t even sleep, waiting for her all night, worried sick about her.

He breathe deeply, calming down. “Just answer me. Why did you stay out so late? Don’t you know how… how worried I was?”

“You? Worried about me?” Ji Hyo asked. She scoffs in a low chuckle. “You, Kim Jong Kook, is worried about me?”

He was confused. Ji Hyo pushes his hand away from her.

“I’m safe. Is that all you want to hear?” Ji Hyo asked. “Are you sure you were really worried about me?”

“You are my wife!” He shouted back and grabbed onto Ji Hyo’s wrist. Ji Hyo only look at him. Jong Kook realized what he had just said. Ara looked worried and Yoo only listened.

“That’s because you are the minister’s daughter. What would I do if you went missing? The Kim Household would be in a disastrous mess.” Jong Kook quickly added and started scolding her.

“Jong Kook Hyung,” Yoo called him.

“Yes,” Ji Hyo answered. “I’m sorry, I shouldn’t have gone out. I’m sorry, I interfered with your life.” She spoke roughly, emphasizing every word to Jong Kook. “I’m sorry I married you, not knowing you were already married.”

Jong Kook frowned.

“I’m sorry for interrupting you and your wife’s romantic hunting trip.” Ji Hyo said with much restraint. “Now, can I leave?” Ji Hyo asked. Her question wasn’t just a simple one. It was almost pleading. Jong Kook slowly loosen his grip as he sees the tears in her eyes threatening to drip.

Ji Hyo pulled her hand away and walked pass him.

Jong Kook didn’t know why but he just walked passed Yoo, not wanting to turn back to look behind him. He was so confused. Why couldn’t he control himself? He felt like going crazy. Why did Ji Hyo say that to him?

Jong Kook only stopped when he was alone by the front camp. He sat down on the boulder, wandering to himself, why did he over react? Why did he yell at her? Why didn’t she answer him?

What is wrong with me?

**************************************************************************

I hope I didn't bore you out. thank you for the comments and subs and upvotes! I'm sorry for the lack of update! I'm working on it >.<

See ya bunnies!