Chapter 8

Misconception (REWRITING - HIATUS)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Chapter 8

 

When I woke up the next morning, the room was already lighted up by the sun’s rays shining through the small round window. I groaned and stretched under the blankets before sitting up and rubbing my eyes, forcing them open.

 

I smiled a bit to myself. I was alone, and most importantly, I hadn’t been woken up so incredibly early by an annoying voice threatening me at dawn. I had just woken up by myself and that simple thought seemed to make my morning seem better. The idea of having to support Baekhyun after the earlier day’s events didn’t really bother me. At least we weren’t stuck in the same small place all day long. I surely wouldn’t miss his snob self.

 

Or wouldn’t I really?

 

I shivered and decided to stand up, taking some clothes to put on quickly before heading out of my room to wander around a bit. I wasn’t hungry yet, so breakfast could wait a bit. I decided to go explore around the boat instead.

 

I got in the center room, immediately spotting Baekhyun on the couch with a book. I didn’t bother sparing a glance at him and, from the corner of my eyes, I noticed he didn’t either as I walked throughout the room to the set of stairs leading outside. I stopped at the door and turned, eyeing the stairs that brought to what I had guessed was the command room.

 

We hadn’t been warned not to go in there, so I figured it would be fine if I eyed it for a little moment. Curiosity took over and I walked up. There wasn’t any door, the stairs leading directly to the large room. I peeked in and looked around. Windows were filling the front and sides walls, the back one filled with all sort of machines.

 

I heard someone clearing their throat and I yelped, quickly turning around to face Billy, the fisherman, looking at me with an amused look, his hands resting on his hips. My eyes widened and I backed up a bit.

 

“Oh.. I… Sorry, I didn’t think yo-”

 

Billy started laughing at that, a kind of laughter that was comforting enough for me to realize there was nothing to be sorry for. “Young ma’am, why are you apologizing? I never said this room was forbidden. On the contrary, come over if you’re curious!” He beamed to me and I smiled, taking a few steps closer to the command panel he was in front of. I looked up through the windows, seeing nothing but water all around us.

 

“Have you ever been on a boat, Eunjoon?”

 

It took me a couple seconds to remember how Baekhyun had changed my name, probably to be cautious, and I shook my head, looking down at the various buttons and radars curiously. There seemed to be so many things to keep track of while driving this.

 

When I looked more closely, I frowned a bit, realizing there weren’t many lights or flashing. The radars’ screens weren’t on either. When I looked at the machines behind me, I noticed they seemed turned off as well. All we could hear was the sound of the boat moving forward.

 

“Why are all the machines off…? Do you… really know where you’re going..?” I asked, trying not to sound too impolite about it. Billy immediately looked offended, frowning a bit and eyeing me in silence. I gulped, staring back at him.

 

It continued like this for a few seconds and I started to feel more and more uneasy. “You seem not to know very much about our genetically given abilities. Am I wrong, young ma’am?”

 

I was a bit surprised by the direct question. I wasn’t very sure if I understood the link between my question and his, but there must have been one if he was able to notice it this easily. I couldn’t really lie, so I shook my head and looked away, rubbing the back of my neck.

 

I heard the man chuckle a bit before he started talking: “Well, you see, I have become a fisherman for a reason. My dad did as well, and so did my grandfather and his father, and so on.” He said, turning around to face the numerous machines around the boat. “My family was given the opportunity to become men and women of water. We didn’t choose it, but we all embrace it. Our love for the seas never faded over the generations.”

 

Billy seemed lost in his own thoughts as he spoke. I smiled a bit, watching him for a bit before looking around the different command panels again. “And what exactly is your ability?” I asked, seeing how his eyes sparkled when he looked at me.

 

“No matter where I am or where I need to go, if it’s on the sea, I won’t ever need any map to guide myself! One could drop me in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean and I’d find my way back home faster than you’d ever think!” He spoke proudly and I chuckled.

 

“That’s a very nice ability. It must be very useful when you’re fisherman. It does suit the job very well.” I said and Billy hummed, nodding slowly before his smiled faded away.

 

“It is useful, yes, but it doesn’t mean it was looked at well back in Anis..” He mumbled, rubbing his chin before looking over at me, brows furrowing. “When I was a kid, the others in the neighborhood knew about my old man being a fisherman and having this ability. All my childhood, we all knew I was going to end up inheriting it and the other kids didn’t have the same opinion as you about it, sadly.

 

“I always loved the sea since I had the age to follow my old man on his boat, so I was happy to take on his work when he retired. Puberty didn’t surprise me with some random ability, and I was happy with it. It’s not something you can brag about very easily when you’re living in the city, but among fishermen, it’s easier to gain recognition. This is mainly why the government approaches me now and then for various missions around. Sometimes it’s more entertaining than hunting for the fishes.”

 

The man chuckled again and looked at the ocean in front of us, thoughtful. “The superiors didn’t tell me much about why they need you in Anis and who you are, though. They kept me away from many more secrets than they usually do…” He said, looking over at me again. It seemed like his eyes filled with worry. “I’m not the type of person who tends to disrespect people’s privacy simply out of curiosity, don’t get me wrong here, but I know by experience that the less I know about a mission, the more important it is.

 

“Young ma’am, you’re quite of a unique and special lady, aren’t you?”

 

I didn’t really know what to answer to this. Billy noticed my uneasiness and chuckled again. “Whatever it is, I wish you a good luck in your journey.” He added, sending me a wink and I smiled.

 

“Thank you, Billy.”

 

The man sent me a warm smile before looking at the sea again. He stretched and yawned before checking a few things on the panels in front of him. “I should be good for a little nap. You go and enjoy your free time, young ma’am. I bet you won’t be having lots once you’ll step off this boat!”

 

I nodded and smiled, thanking him, and watching as he walked down the stairs. I stayed there for a couple more minutes, walking more freely around the room, checking all the machines, and trying to guess their purposes. I then reported my eyes to the endless ocean. There was a thin, barely perceptible line between the sky and the water. The only difference was the shade of blue. I stared in awe with an empty mind and I smiled. I was indeed well aware I probably wouldn’t have much free time when I would arrive at the island. Things would change even more, and I had nothing except courage to prepare myself for what was to come.

 

***

 

I walked back down to the center room when my stomach reminded me I still hadn’t had breakfast. I eyed the couch quickly, sparing one fast glance to Baekhyun, who was still reading, before heading toward the fridge to get something to eat. I didn’t know if he noticed me or not but I couldn’t really care.

 

While inspecting the shelves the night before, I had spotted some cereal and decided this would do. I grabbed the milk and the cereal box, putting both of them on the table before searching for a bowl. This all seemed too normal, too f

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter