Chapter 10

Misconception (REWRITING - HIATUS)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Chapter 10

 

Fiction stories… Some will say they’re written and thought of to give the public some sense of adventure in their poor monotone lives. Watching movies or reading books in which the main characters dive deep into some surreal adventures makes us forget about our lives, makes us feel adventurous. We like it, this feeling of being something else, someone more important that goes through a journey we’d never think of living.

 

It wasn’t the first time my thoughts drifted away to how my life had suddenly taken a sharp turn. Sitting in a car or on a boat for days gave me more time to think and the more the time passed, the more I realized how good it was to simply sit with friends and snacks to watch someone’s life take the sharp turn. Because, after all, you’d spend no sweat knowing what would happen at the end of the story and, unlike the fictional characters, you’d know exactly that you’d be back in your bed once your day would be over.

 

As I laid down on the small bed, in the small room of the fishermen’s boat, I was slowly realizing I had no idea if I’d ever see the comfortable bed of my apartment again.

 

I groaned at all the depressive thoughts and sat back up, eyes falling on my purse by the desk in the other corner of the room. In it laid the black box I’d been so tempted to peek in for days. It had stayed untouched since the event at the gas station.

 

We were so close to the island, though. The day before, Billy had informed us we were getting near and might arrive by the night. The sun was almost setting from my round and tiny window, its orange colors reflecting on the walls of the room. It had been raining all day and I figured it could have slowed us down some bit, but maybe we would still make it to Anis during the night.

 

It was a weird thing to think I was going to step on an island that wasn’t known on any maps, that no humans would ever see. It sounded completely unreal that people couldn’t see a place. The rational side of me came up with a billion questions as to how it was possible. What if a boat came by? Would it hit an invisible ground? The thought was amusing to imagine but all reflection always stopped there.

 

I stood from the mattress, stretching my legs before heading toward my purse and to the object of my desire. The box was still uncommonly heavy and cold. I sat back down with the object on my lap and took a few moments to simply stare at it.

 

We were so close to the island and, as Baekhyun mentioned, people would be there once we’d arrive at the coast to the two of us wherever I needed to be brought to. We would be safe, wouldn’t we? If the government had sent a good fighter to get me, they would surely bring guards to make the trip to the city safer.

 

Didn’t that mean we were 100% safe from now on..?

 

…didn’t that mean the necklace was completely harmless?

 

Knowing Baekhyun, I knew he would probably be very opposed to that idea, but I couldn’t help but consider the options. Absolutely wanting to wear a necklace could be considered childish, but having worn it for 20 years… Wasn’t it a good reason? Being the only thing that I had that linked me to my real parents, it was the most important object I owned. For all these years I considered it as my most special charm and Baekhyun would come over and make me believe it only brought threats?

 

With a deep sight, I finally did it and parted open the box, immediately looking up and around. Maybe I was expecting the people running after us to suddenly teleport in the room and attack me -who knew what kind of power they could have? Or maybe I just expected Baekhyun to barge in my room and catch me right on the spot. Of course, nothing of that happened. It was completely quiet in the room.

 

When I looked back down at the necklace, I smiled to myself, letting my fingers run against the smooth chain to the carved letters forming my name. The little bumps and imperfections of the metal, I knew them all by heart. I’d have my eyes close and I’d only need one simple touch to recognize the familiar pendant.

 

I lifted the weightless chain in the air to have a better look at it. Having it around my neck all the time, I was more used to how it felt on my skin than how it looked like. The chain was a golden color, the pattern was simple but nice-looking. Attached to it was the pendant, the name Eunji seemingly braided with a thin gold filament. The dot on top of the j was a very tiny ruby gem and it always fascinated me how it never fell. It always stayed in place and I was glad.

 

I couldn’t figure how it was possible for someone to even place a tracking locator in this. I always suspected Baekhyun to be wrong all this time, but he was more into preventing then recovering. I understood his point of view, but we barely had anything to fear by now, so I guessed putting the necklace back where it truly belonged wouldn’t affect much…

 

Without many second thoughts, I wrapped the chain around my neck, very carefully tying it up under my hair before reaching for the pendant that fell a bit lower than the collar of my shirt. The familiar touch immediately comforted me.

 

I put down the lid of the black box and stood to bring it back in my purse just in time to hear the door that connected the hallway and the center room burst open. My eyes widened and, out of reflex, I immediately hid the pendant under my shirt. I only had time to remove my hand from the collar when the door to my own bedroom opened as well, Baekhyun’s head peeking in. He scanned the room until his eyes met mine.

 

“You know, just a little tip for whenever you open doors and there’s a woman on the other side. It’s always a good idea to knock.” I said, crossing my arms over my chest with a frown. Baekhyun only rolled his eyes.

 

“I thought you might have wanted to know the island is now visible at the horizon, but I guess I won’t keep you informed for next ti-“

 

“The island?” I stopped him midway, my eyes widening. “We’re there?!” It took me less than a second to head to the door, opening it wide and sliding between him and the door frame to run toward the exterior.

 

“H-Hey! Wait!” I heard Baekhyun call behind me but I was already running up the few stairs to the entrance. I went outside and looked around before contouring the boat to reach the front. When I did, I spotted Billy leaning by the fence and staring at the tiny but darker line visible at the horizon. The sun was close to the island, slowly setting in the West, making the different shades at the horizon more distinct.

 

The fisherman turned his head to look at me and I leaned beside him. “Eunjoon!” He called, smiling with all his teeth. “Did Baekhyun warned you? This means we’ll be there soon! Well, in a couple hours, that is. The clouds seem to want to come back, though. They gave us a bit of peaceful sea for while, but I’m still not sure it’ll stay merciful until the end. I’d suggest you get some sleep before we get there. We might ar

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter