Chapter 7

Misconception (REWRITING - HIATUS)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Chapter 7

 

“Come on, Eunji, wake up.”

 

I was nudged lightly on the shoulder and I groaned, waking up and attempting to open my eyes. The sun wasn’t up in the sky anymore, it was right at my eyes level and I winced, closing them again as I sat straighter on the passenger seat. I opened my eyes again, letting them adjust to the light before looking at my surroundings.

 

Baekhyun was already out of the car, opening the back door to get his bag and looking over at me. “I think you’ll be happy to see where we’re at.” He said simply and I frowned, the utopian idea of being back to my apartment as if nothing had happened popping in my mind, but I knew better. I looked back at where the sun was slowly setting, covering it with my palm so I could see something and I smiled immediately. Finally.

 

The Pacific Ocean.

 

Just with that, I regained my energy and I got out of the car, taking my stuff as well and following Baekhyun to the port. It was huge, immense boats parked here and there by the coast, probably filled with either passengers or diverse merchandise. Baekhyun had parked the car in a small parking probably made for people who were just willing to walk around and enjoy the view of the never-ending waves of the ocean. We reached an elevated platform that followed the whole port and, before Baekhyun could continue, I stopped by the metal fence and put my bag to the ground, leaning my forearms on the pole and staring right in front of me.

 

The water reflected the sun and its bright red, orange, and pink colors. The sky was like an infinite rainbow, from the bright yellow to the West to the dark purple of the night to the East. Never had I ever seen the sun set in the ocean like this. Its colors were mixing with the sea as if it was sharing its magnificence with the waves before making one with them. The sun was almost touching the horizon by now, and soon it would be engulfed by the ocean, leaving us only with the dark blue palette painting the sky.

 

As I continued staring, I saw from the corner of my eyes that Baekhyun was doing the same, leaning on the metal fence beside me as well, staring absent-mindedly at the ocean.

 

“It’s so beautiful…” I whispered, my voice barely audible with the sounds of the waves hitting the cement platform and the seagulls flying around and actively screaming at each other.

 

Baekhyun looked at me for a second before looking in front of him again and nodding slowly. “It’s been awhile since I last took the time to watch the sunset.” He admitted. I turned my head to look at him but his eyes stayed glued on the sky. “It’s hard to remember to take the time to enjoy these small things when you have such a busy life.” He added and I smiled a bit. I had never heard him say such a thing since we met.

 

I nodded slowly as an answer and looked back at the sun, surprised by how red it had become already. We stayed like this, resting against the fence, watching the sun continue its journey down until it started disappearing under the horizon. When the violet of the night became almost the color in the sky, Baekhyun straightened again and put his bag on his shoulder.

 

“Okay, let’s go. The boat is probably waiting for us somewhere.” He said and I nodded, taking my bag as well and following him. Now that the sun was down, the temperature seemed to have dropped suddenly and I shivered, the harsh wind of the coast piercing through my thin shirt.

 

The walk became rather long and I started wondering why Baekhyun had parked the car this far from where the boat was supposed to be. We passed by the imposing steamers and I had the chance to have a better look at them. We continued our way, climbing down a few set of stairs as the platform lowered itself closer and closer to the water level. We passed a few yachts and smaller private boats, probably parked there for the summer, and continued all the way to the end, one last boat standing there with a man sitting by it, smoking.

 

I didn’t really know what to expect when I imagined a private boat bringing us to the island. I was surprised none the less at the sight of the old-looking fishermen boat. It could probably hold a group of a dozen of people in it. It looked big enough to go at a decent speed, but not too much so it wouldn’t attract the attention.

 

The man spotted us walking toward him and he raised, finishing his cigarette before throwing it on the ground and stepping on it. He then slipped his hands in his pockets, watching with curious eyes until we were a few feet before him.

 

“You must be Baekhyun Byun.” He said after clearing his throat and the male beside me nodded. “Well, folks, I go by Billy, fisherman since my teens. Bill is fine, too. Whatever floats your boat.” He greeted, laughing at his own bad pun before reaching for Baekhyun’s hand. I expected him to grimace, maybe make a slight face of disgust, but he simply smiled politely and shook the guy’s hand.

 

Billy had a dark skin tone, and by his facial features I guessed he was Afro-American. The man was wearing old clothes, stained with, what I figured, the traces of his work on the boat. His beard hadn’t been cleaned for a while, white strands of hair scattered here in there, showing signs of the time he spent in this world. His hair, if he had any, were covered by a fisherman’s hat.

 

I took more time inspecting his eyes, them being just as dark as the night. Gold sparkles started to wash away the darkness in his orbs when he turned to look at me, probably noticing I was staring. I realized I must have looked impolite and I quickly looked down, bowing my head.

 

“Nice to meet you, I am Eun-”

 

“Eunjoon. Her name is Eunjoon.” I was cut short by Baekhyun and the man raised an eyebrow, his eyes moving from Baekhyun to me before he seemed to shrug it off and shook my hand as well. I spared one single glance at Baekhyun before I looked at the boat again. Billy followed my eyes and a smile lighted up on his face.

 

“This is Violetta. She might seem old but she’s still as feisty as in the old days. Don’t judge a boat by its frame, folks, that’s what my old man always said.” He told us, and I could see his eyes sparkling when he looked at his boat. Both Baekhyun and I frowned a bit and, noticing the uneasiness, Billy coughed and showed us the way.

 

“Let’s not stay here for too long, we have a few days of ride ahead and I don’t think William wants you two late.”

 

We crossed the small catwalk to the boat and I almost wanted to ask Baekhyun who was this William. I kept my mouth shut, though, and curiously looked around as we were invited inside.

 

There were two sets of stairs, one leading up, probably to the driver’s room, and another leading further into the boat’s cave. Billy went down, flipping a switch and light filled the small room. There was a large table in the center with chairs dispersed around. A few kitchen supplies were on the right while there was a couch on the left. Everything seemed out of place, maybe a bit too fancy for an old fisherman boat. All the furniture seemed brand new.

 

I wasn’t the only one shocked by the sight. Baekhyun’s eyes widened as well and Billy chuckled at our expression. “Told ya she was still feisty.” He said simply, walking further to the opposite side of the room to another door. We followed him in the corridor where a couple doors were closed. The end of the hallway was a dead end.

 

“These are all bedrooms for two. The last door on the left is the bathroom. You’re free to choose the one you prefer, but the first on the left is mine, folks, and I’m the type to prefer keeping a certain privacy.” He said, accenting his last word and we both nodded slowly. Seeing we got the message, the man clapped his hands and gave us a smile.

 

“All settled, then! Once I’ll be done untying Violetta from the dock, we’ll be good to go. We’ll be sailing all night, so I hope none of you folks got a problem with the swaying sea.”

 

We both reassured him, even though I had no idea if I did since I had never taken a boat before, and the man let us be, going back upstairs to prepare our leave. Baekhyun immediately chose the first door on his right, but before he could get inside, I stopped him.

 

“Are you going to sleep already?” I asked him and he looked at my side before shaking his head.

 

“I’ll go watch the ocean after I’m done dropping my things.” He explained to me and I nodded. We both stayed still for a few seconds, staring at each other. “Are you perhaps waiting for me to tell you that it’s okay if you join?” He asked suddenly and my eyes widened a bit. I wasn’t sure if his tone was teasing or truly annoyed.

 

“What? N-No I-”

 

“It’s fine. I’ll be on the front of the boat.”

 

Baekhyun stepped in his small room before I could say anything and he closed the door behind him, leaving me alone in the tiny corridor. There was a dull silence, everything was too quiet. I felt a shiver run down my spine and quickly hurried to the closest door, walking inside the bedroom and shutting myself inside.

 

Once I the light, I dropped my bag on one of the two beds and looked around. The room was small but rather cozy. Two beds were in each of the door’s furthest corners. Between them stood two bed tables and there was a round window at about my eyes level. The roof was low, but not enough to make me feel uncomfortable. There were

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter