Chapter 8: Dealing With Fame

Crossroads

 

 

 

“PARK. SUN. YOUNG! YOU’RE DEAD!”

 

Jiyeon sat cross legged on a desk munching on her pretzel as she watched her Eunjung chasing Hyomin frantically around the empty classroom. Hyomin was laughing like a madman and Eunjung looked livid. She looked down at the source of the chase on her lap and grinned at the photo book. Hyomin had submitted the candid photos of her and Eunjung during the picnic trip. Jiyeon had laughed at her own expression in the picture of her struggling with the noodles but Hyomin had done the unthinkable and also included the picture of Eunjung’s sleeping face.

 

Jiyeon and Hyomin had been giggling in a corner as they looked at Eunjung’s photo until they realized that a dark aura had crept up on them. Turning around slowly to see Eunjung with fire in her eyes, Hyomin had taken off at the speed of light with Eunjung hot on her heels. Jiyeon looked up from the photo book to see that Eunjung had already trapped Hyomin in a headlock.

 

“YAH! How could you have submitted that picture for your assignment, pabo!”

 

“I-I c-coul-dn-t he-e-elp i-it.. T-to-oo f-f-fu-n-ny.”

 

“Ms. Seok even asked me if I could model for the photography comedy week!”

 

“Ha-ha-h-haa.. Ha-ha.. C-can’t b-br-reat-h..”

 

Looking down, Eunjung saw Hyomin’s laughing red face slowly turning purple and loosened her grip slightly around Hyomin’s neck. The trio looked up when they heard the classroom door slide open and a curious Qri peeked in to the odd scene.

 

“What’s going on here?” asked Qri as she walked over to Jiyeon who had bit into the last of her snack. “Hcyoh unhnee toockh er punnee peehteuh oph Junhgee,” Jiyeon said chewing happily. “Hey Dino, stop talking with your mouth full! And keep that book away from Qri,” yelled Eunjung struggling to hold down a squirming Hyomin. 

 

It was too late. Qri had already started guffawing looking at Eunjung’s picture and whipped out her phone to snap a picture of it despite Eunjung’s pleas. Qri told an exasperated Eunjung that she had already sent the picture to Soyeon and Boram. “Jungie, let Hyomin breathe and let’s all get something to eat since we’re done for the day,” laughed Qri as she walked out of the classroom. The three of them grabbed their bags and followed their friend to meet the couple waiting for them at the gates.

 

As they approached the university gates, they noticed a small crowd had gathered around a black van. “What’s going on here?” asked Qri to Boram who was craning her neck trying to see what the commotion was about. “Apparently there’s a famous upcoming singer waiting in the van but I’m too short to see,” whined poor Boram who was trying her best to catch a glimpse of the singer despite her five inch heels. The girls continued trying to see who this person was until someone from the front of the crowd.

 

“AHH! IT’S IU!!”

 

Hyomin saw a blur of the figures rushing past her to join the crowd as the cheering got louder. Moving a few steps higher on the grassy slope she was standing on, she saw a black haired girl step out of the van with a big smile on her face. She waved at the crowd and the cheering reached a point where a cat lounging nearby slinked off to find a quieter place to continue it’s nap. Her brown eyes continued watching IU as the girl signed a few autographs for the arms nearest to her. After signing what seemed to be the nth autograph, IU proceeded to turn to her manager to ask for her phone. The crowd quieted down seeing IU dial a number and placed her phone on her ear. 

 

A loud techno sound could suddenly be heard within the crowd and curious faces looked around searching for the source of the sound. Hyomin glanced at Jiyeon who was fumbling in the jacket pocket and pulled out her cellphone to reveal the source of the blasting music.

 

“Yeboseyo?” 

 

“Jiyeon-ah, it’s Jieun! I’m standing in front of your university.” IU said happily. Jiyeon tried to tip toe to look for her friend. Failing to do so, she glanced at Hyomin standing on top of the slope and ran up to join her. She spotted IU next to the black van jumping up and down in excitement as she waved to her friend. A huge smile broke out on Jiyeon’s face as she ran through the crowd that had parted for her and threw herself into IU’s arms for a bear hug. “Oof! I’ve missed you shikshin,” chuckled IU as they broke from their hug. “Let’s go somewhere to catch up,” said IU pulling Jiyeon towards the van. Jiyeon nodded but proceeded to look back at her group of friends who had joined Hyomin at the slope to see where their maknae had run off to. 

 

“Can my friends come too, Jieun?” asked Jiyeon pointing out her friends to her long time schoolmate. IU looked towards the group and nodded to Jiyeon with a smile before gesturing the five confused girls to come over to where she and Jiyeon were standing. After the group joined them, IU’s manager ushered them into the van while two of IU’s bodyguards kept the crowd at bay. 

 

 

—————

 

 

“Jieun, I’d like you to meet my friends, Hyomin, Eunjung, Qri, Boram and Soyeon. They’re my university mates. Hyo-unnie and Jung-unnie are in the same classes as me,” said Jiyeon as she introduced them to IU. They exchanged greetings and shook hands as a waitress came up to their table to serve them their lattes. Soyeon looked around the empty cafe and asked, “Why is this cafe so empty? This place is pretty famous and it’s usually packed to the brim every time we visit.” The waitress who had just finished serving the last of their drinks smiled at them, “Jieun-ssi has been a frequent supporter of this cafe, mentioning it in a few of her interviews when she started getting popular. Ever since then, business has been booming so whenever Jieun stops by, the boss closes the shop to outsiders to give her some privacy.”

 

IU thanked the waitress and blushed as saw the girls around her looking at her in awe. Trying to hide her embarrassment, IU turned to Jiyeon and popped her question, “Jiyeon, my management is organising a concert this weekend and I was wondering if you and your friends would like to come as my guests.” Jiyeon looked at her unnies and nodded as they all agreed, excited that this growing star had given them a personal invitation to her concert. “Great! Here are the passes,” said IU taking a handful of tickets from her manager and handing them out with a bow to each of the girls. 

 

“Woah Jieun, these are all access passes,” said Jiyeon with wonder. “Yeap, so you guys can come see me backstage after the concert!” said IU clapping her hands happily at the thought. Jiyeon hugged her friend tightly, thanking her for the passes and they continued talking until awhile later when IU’s manager came in to inform her that she had a night interview filming soon. She nodded sadly to her manager and stood up to bow to her new friends before giving Jiyeon one last bear hug. Watching the young girl leave the shop, the girls turned to Soyeon who looked at the rest and asked:

 

“Who’s hungry?”

 

 

—————

 

 

Hyomin pulled her jacket closer as cold winds whipped across her. She mentally berated herself for being stubborn and insisting on walking home after Qri had offered to share a cab with her. She thought it would be nice take a walk since she had worn sneakers and she could explore a bit of the city on the way home. Plus, the jjampong that they had earlier had burnt her tongue with its spiciness and she thought it was smart of her to take a cooling night stroll.

 

“This is so smart of you, Sunyoung. You forgot you only brought this thin jacket and decided to cool your tongue by freezing the rest of your body,” she grumbled to herself. Walking past the brightly lit street of Gangnam, a display in a store caught her eye. Moving closer to the store, she saw a cute plush of a baby bunny. “It looks as cute as Sunny,” she mused before sighing, wondering where was Sunny now and if she would ever meet her beautiful angel again. She hadn’t even manage to ask Sunny which university she was studying at so that she could pay a visit. “Yeah Sunyoung, that’s what you need to be. A creepy stalker. She’ll definitely fall for you then.” She tore her gaze from the bunny and took a few steps away before stopping to take one last look at it..

 

 

—————

 

 

BEEP.

 

The door to her studio unlocked as Hyomin walked in and slid out of her jacket. Placing her leather sling bag on a dining chair, Hyomin walked to her bed and left the empty shopping bag on her dining table as she moved to her bed. Carefully placing the football sized baby bunny on her pillows, “That’s the closest thing I have to remind me of Sunny Bunny,” she thought to herself as she turned to walk towards her closet. Pulling off her jumper, she looked at herself in the mirror. Patting her tummy, she decided to hit the building’s gym to get a workout in before her shower. She changed out of her jeans and tank top to a pair of soft grey sweatpants and a black sports bra. Grabbing her sports towel off the rack, she left for what was going to be a hardcore sweat session.

 

An hour later, Hyomin was drenched in sweat as she completed her rigorous workout. She walked over to the gym’s wall to wall mirrors to check if her body was in acceptable shape. Deciding she was satisfied with what she saw, she wiped the beads of sweat rolling down her abs and made her way back to her studio unit. Stepping into the lift, she looked at the small screen they had installed that was flashing an advertisement for beach home. The advertisement was currently depicting a silhouette of a house with a sunset in the background. 

 

Hyomin blushed as she recalled the kiss she had given Sunny during that sunset in the small shack. Shaking her head as she stepped out of the lift and keyed in the password to her unit, “I need a cold shower,” she thought to herself. Stripping off her clothes, she stepped into the shower and allowed her mind to wander further. She imagined how far they would have gotten if Sunny’s phone hadn’t interrupted their moment. They would have probably had a hot makeout session, followed by- 

 

“Stop it. You really need an ice cold shower,” she scolded herself as her face turned red. Turning the cold water tab of the shower, the pigeon that was resting just outside her bathroom vent awoke with a start as a high pitch yelp erupted from a startled Hyomin.

 

 

 

 

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

 

Author’s Note:

Hey guys, I decided to do a double update this weekend because I’m in high spirits.

I just watched the episode of Weekly Idol where T-ara was featured and it had Hyomin describing Eunjung’s weird sleeping face.

Couldn’t resist adding it here, sorry Jungie! >< 

You guys can check the clip out here: https://youtu.be/STlJIjNpIqo

Anyways, I’m off to a short road trip, so I hope you guys have an awesome weekend ahead of you! 

Till the next update!