Chapter 17: Icy Encounters

Crossroads

Sunny panted hard as she wiped the sweat off her face. A week had passed since their encounter with Jessica and it had turned out to be uneventful. From what Hyomin had told her, the icy princess was still attending their classes but she had just kept her distance from the girls, only glaring at Jiyeon when they passed each other. 

 

“Poor danshin, those short legs aren’t helping during gym classes huh?”

 

Glaring at Yuri, Sunny flung her towel at the tanned girl in vain as Yuri easily side stepped the futile attempt. Tiffany jogged up to the two of them and patted Sunny’s back, “Yul, quit teasing poor Sunny.” Yuri grinned and pointed towards Taeyeon who seemed to be in the same predicament as their short friend, “Looks like your girlfriend isn’t doing too well too, Pany.” Tiffany quickly moved to support Taeyeon as her lover stopped her running due to her aching thighs and Tiffany handed her a bottle of water.

 

“Isn’t there some other form of exercise that doesn’t involve us breaking our legs?” Taeyeon whined after she had taken a big gulp of water. “How about catching a movie after classes today?” Tiffany suggested and the two panting girls nodded. Yuri shook her head saying that she had promised Sooyoung that they would be checking out a new barbecue joint and that they would be picking Jiyeon up along the way. 

 

“Make sure you invite Yoongie or I’d hate to have to face her when she finds out you left her out of a food trip.” Sunny grinned watching Yuri’s face turn pale when she realize she had forgotten to text the shikshin. Turning back to the TaeNy pair, “I’ll meet up with you girls there. Hyomin will be picking me up afterwards.” They nodded and the four of them jumped when they heard a sharp whistle blow next to their ears, and they scampered to continue their lap fearing their coach’s angry bellows.

 

As Sunny panted through the second bend, she noticed a figure watching them from the bleachers and jogged a little faster to see who it was but quickly dismissed the thought when she ran into Taeyeon who had slowed down in front of her. Thoughts of the stranger was quickly forgotten when she looked up to see no one standing there and was met with a flurry of weak kicks and punches from a howling Taeyeon.

 

 

—————

 

 

“EEEEKKKKK!”

 

The three girls clasped their hands over pained ears with Tiffany’s piercing shrieks. Taeyeon and Sunny were now regretting their decision of picking out a horror film in hopes of making their girlfriends a little clingy but Tiffany was scaring them more than the ghostly character projected on the screen. As the group of middle aged people turned back to them in annoyance yet again after hearing the shrieks again, Taeyeon decided it was a better idea to leave the cinema. Sunny apologized to the annoyed movie-goers as Taeyeon escorted a shivering Tiffany out. She turned to smile apologetically at Hyomin who returned it and snuggled into her girlfriend’s arms for the remainder of the movie.

 

They later found Taeyeon who had managed to pacify Tiffany by getting her a stick of pink candy floss. “Are you feeling better, Pany?” asked Hyomin. Tiffany nodded and held out the confection to share which she politely declined saying that she was still stuffed from having to finish the popcorn the couple had left behind earlier. “Sorry about that, you two. That movie was really scary,” said Tiffany meekly and the Sunbyung couple waved it off. “Tae-tae, we still need to get our outfits for the rehearsal.” Taeyeon nodded, “What about you two, wanna come shopping with us?” Sunny looked over at Hyomin and then turned back to Taeyeon, “Nah, we’re gonna go check out a couple of new video games.” 

 

“Pfft, you don’t even stay at the dorms enough to touch your console.”

 

“That’s cause I’ve already moved it to Minnie’s apartment.”

 

“Mwo? You two are already living like a married couple before the wedding.”

 

“You’re just jealous Taeng.”

 

“No I’m not, my wifey already lives with me.”

 

Tiffany squealed and jumped on Taeyeon, knocking her the air out of her lungs. She would never get used to Tiffany surprising her like that and she secretly liked it that way. Sunny stuck her tongue out at her friends and grabbed Hyomin’s hand to stride away from the giggling couple. Hyomin followed her bunny to a gaming shop Sunny frequented and let herself wander around the shop as Sunny spoke to the shop owner about her order. The short blonde smiled when she caught her girlfriend poking at a plush toy that resembled a pink balloon. She snuck up to her girlfriend and hugged her tightly from the back, feeling Hyomin jump with shock and giggled uncontrollably as she took her revenge to start landing wild kisses on the short girl’s face.

 

Between the kisses, Sunny thought spotted someone watching them through the store’s see through display but again was left dumbfounded when she got a clearer look. “Something must be wrong with my eyes,” she thought and was attacked with tickles from Hyomin who was pretending to be upset from Sunny’s momentary lapse of attention. Both the girls failed to notice a small flash from a camera in the distance as they continued their playful tussle.

 

 

—————

 

 

Hyomin awoke with a start at the sound her alarm blaring and hastily switched it off when Sunny grumbled from the bundle of blankets she was buried in. Careful not to wake the sleeping blonde who had late classes for the day, Hyomin tiptoed out of bed and felt her way around in the dark to reach the bathroom. She checked her laptop after her shower and saw that there was an email from the university administrator requesting her presence in the president’s office that afternoon. She nervously turned to look at her sleeping girlfriend and decided not to wake her for this. Sunny gurgled cutely when Hyomin kissed her goodbye on the forehead peeking out of the top of her covers and the brunette scribbled a quick note for her girlfriend before heading to her university.

 

Although she had a car, Hyomin still preferred walking to university when she could as she savoured the cool morning air which sometimes served as an excellent way to clear her head. 

 

 

..nega pillyohae neombeonain neombeonain..

..neombeonain nareul tteonaji marayo..

 

 

“Omma, annyeong!”

 

Hyomin smiled as she answered her mother’s phone call. She missed her parents dearly since they had dropped her off nearly half a year ago. Hyomin had asked them to visit her many times but her mother informed her that her dad was sorting out an important business deal and did not have time to spare a visit although she forgave him when he begged her over the phone cutely. 

 

“Sunyoung-ah, how are you doing?”

 

“I’m doing well omma. How’s appa?

 

“You father is tying up the last strings in the deal we spoke about before. We’re planning for a cruise in two weeks or so, once this deal is settled.”

 

“Mwo, what about me, you promised you’d visit with appa and meet Sunny.”

 

“Of course we want to finally meet your girlfriend. Your father and I are planning to visit you after the cruise.”

 

“Jjinja? Thank you so much omma! She’s very excited to meet the both of you.”

 

“Anything for my baby. I’ve got to go, your appa is awake and he’s cranky for his coffee like his daughter. Saranghae Sunyoung.”

 

“Mmm. Saranghae omma.”

 

Hyomin hung up the phone and noticed she had already arrived at her university. Remembering she had to meet the president, she walked to the administration block and headed to the building’s highest floor where the office was located. She stepped out of the elevator to a beautifully decorated hallway and was in awe of the beautiful artwork decorating it’s walls as she advanced towards the archway at the end of it. Hyomin peeked into the foyer and saw a lady seated behind a desk who was busy typing something onto a laptop. 

 

“H-hello, I received an email from the office asking me to meet the president.”

 

“Ah, Miss Park Sunyoung. Yes, the president will see you shortly. Please have a seat while waiting,” she said as she pointed out a beautiful sofa at the other end of the foyer and Hyomin bowed politely before walking to take a seat. I wonder if it was because of the racket we caused in art class the other day, Hyomin wondered miserably as she remembered her lecturer’s annoyed expression while she chased Jiyeon around the class.

 

“Miss Park, he will see you now.” Hyomin nodded and followed the secretary to a large set of double doors. The lady knocked the door twice and opened it slightly to say something to the president. She moved aside and gestured for Hyomin to enter. This office is beautiful, the art student thought in awe as she looked around the room which was brightly lit in the morning sun. The tall ceiling displayed intricate wooden carvings and a beautiful chandelier hung from it’s center. Hyomin vaguely heard Beethoven’s Moonlight Sonata playing from a speaker somewhere in the room.

 

“I see you good taste in the arts, Miss Park.”

 

Hyomin turned to see the president observing her actions from behind his desk and quickly bowed to him. “Please have a seat,” he said to the nervous brunette. He watched her take a seat. “Y-you wanted t-to see me, s-sir?” Hyomin stammered and he wordlessly responded with an detached smile. Her eyes follow him as he stood up and strolled to the large windows facing the university grounds.

 

“Miss Park, are you familiar with young lady around your age by the name of Lee Soonkyu?” Hyomin’s heart jumped at the mention of her girlfriend’s name. 

 

“Y-yes.”

 

“And you are aware she is my niece?”

 

“Y-yes.”

 

“Then you are aware of her past.” It sounded more like a statement than a question.

 

“Yes.” The man noticed the conviction in the girl’s voice was stronger now.

 

“Then you understand my reasons why I did what had to be done,” he said and turned to face Hyomin who wore a impassive expression. Hyomin bit her lower lip nervously and riddled her brain with questions of how he could have known that she was dating Sunny when they had been so careful to avoid being seen together within the university vicinity.

 

A few moments of silence passed before she spoke, “I do but with all due respect Mr. Lee, I disagree with your reasoning.” She initially planned to feign ignorance but decided against it as it was no surprise that the president knew about them. He was an influential man after all. Another detached smile appeared on his face at Hyomin’s words and he turned back to the window, “I am not wrong to assume that you are currently dating my niece, Miss Park?”

 

“Yes, I am but I will not leave her, no matter what you say.”

 

“I commend your bravery, young lady. Unfortunately, I still cannot allow it to happen.”

 

Mr. Lee returned to his seat behind his desk and looked at Hyomin with stern eyes. “You see, Miss Park, I have no children of my own, therefore no heir to all that I’ve built. I plan to leave my Soonkyu with the empire I have built but I cannot have society condemn their leader because of something as petty as.. this.” Hyomin scowled furiously, “Sunny has her own rights to make her own choices, Mr. Lee.”

He sneered at the pretty girl in front of him, “You do not seem to understand, Miss Park. I am not asking you.” 

 

Hyomin could not take any more of this and replied indignantly, “Pardon me, sir, but I too am not asking you for your permission to love her.” Raising her volume as she stood up, “Now, if there’s nothing more to discuss, sir, I must be getting to my classes.” With a short bow of her head, she turned and strode out of the room, still furious at the man’s atrocity.

 

 

—————

Flashback

—————

 

 

“Sunyoung-ah, when are you going to bring home your boyfriend?”

 

“Omma! You know I’m shy about these sort of things.”

 

“That’s exactly what’s concerning me.”

 

Hyomin pouted at her mum who was teasing her over dinner. Turning to her father who currently had his face hidden behind the business section of a newspaper, “Appa, aren’t you going to be a typical dad and tell me I should not be dating until the age of thirty or something?” Her dad peeked over the newspaper, “Well, your mum does have a point.”

 

“Appa!”

 

Receiving only an amused chuckle from her dad, she crossed her arms and puffed her cheeks. Truth be told, it was not that she did not want to show her parents the boyfriend she was currently dating but she had kept a secret to herself all this while. She was sure she did not love him and it bothered her to keep him around aimlessly. Deep down inside, she craved a relationship where she was head over heels for her partner and vice versa. With the boy, it just felt forced, like there was someone out there who would fit into her heart like a missing puzzle and love her like she had never been loved before. She had often observed female couples, while on dates with the boastful boy which she usually ignored, and envied the way they showered each other with feminine affection. 

 

“Aigoo, your daughter seems to be spacing out again.”

 

Turning her face to her parents, “Omma, appa, w-what if I told you I didn’t like boys?” Her parents looked at each other, looking a little surprised. Her mother looked at her, “Are you saying you’ll be bringing home a girlfriend?” Hyomin hung her head, trying to form the right words, “Would you hate me if I did?” Her father’s next sentence surprised and touched her at the same time.

 

“Sunyoung-ah, you cannot control who you love. Anyone who can love my precious daughter with all their heart and make you happy, is good enough for me.”

 

Hyomin knocked the poor man’s breath out his lungs when she jumped up from her seat and landed on her father’s lap to pull him into a bear hug. Her mother who was also touched at her husband’s words, watched her two most precious people in the world and smiled at their antics.

 

“Well, at least we won’t have to worry about you using proper birth control.”

 

“OMMA!”

 

Later that evening, when Hyomin was taking an evening stroll, she spotted her boyfriend at the park in a lip lock with a junior from her high school. Remembering her father’s words, she pulled out her phone and sent him a message. That was the last she ever saw of him and she never looked back.

 

 

—————

 

 

Jessica watched the girl who just walked into the classroom apologize to her lecturer and taking her seat with that Jiyeon girl she hated and the other short haired friend. She noticed the perturbed look on Hyomin’s face and smirked. So she already knows. That meant phase one had just begun and right on cue, the lecturer announced the next project would be in pairs. As the lecturer read out their names, she saw the colour in the brunette’s face drain when she announced that Hyomin would be working with Jessica since the class had an odd number and Jiyeon was told to sit back down when she had stood up to protest. 

 

“Are you sure you will be alright, unnie?” Jiyeon asked Hyomin worriedly when the lecturer asked them to move into their groups right away to start brainstorming.

 

“I’ll be fine, Dino. See you guys for lunch in a bit.”

 

Hyomin moved to sit next to the icy blonde. “You don’t seem to be in a very good mood,” taunted Jessica receiving only a shrug from the slightly taller girl. “Since I’m not supposed to help you as I’m only a mentor, what are you planning to make for this project?” Hyomin bit her bottom lip slightly, she knew that Jessica was probably trying to find a way mess things up and she had to make sure that she would prevent it at all costs. Smirking at the watched Hyomin battle with herself, “You know, I still find it a surprise that my old friend would date someone of so little words when she’s the exact opposite.” That was it, she struck a nerve.

 

“She loves me perfectly fine, and I’ll be writing a song.” Jessica raised her perfectly trimmed eyebrows at those words. “A song? I wonder what about. Love, I presume.” Hyomin shot the icy girl a look, “Yes, now if you don’t mind, I have to get started.” She turned to her notebook and furiously turned to a blank page but she stopped when she was about to place her pen on it’s pages.

 

“A little stuck, I see.”

 

“If you would stop interrupting me, maybe I’ll be able to concentrate.”

 

“Oh? This should be an easy one for you if she loves you that much.”

 

“You don’t know a thing about love.”

 

Now it was Jessica’s turn to be irate. “You don’t know enough about me to tell me I don’t know love.” Hyomin sensed the anger in the ice queen’s word and turned to her, “Just like how you loved Yuri?” Jessica slammed her hand on the notebook in front of Hyomin and leaned in with a threatening voice, “Leave Yuri out of this or I swear-“ She did not manage to finish her sentence when Jiyeon appeared next to Hyomin looking murderous. “What do you want, kid?” Jessica hissed at Jiyeon who immediately shot back, “Just checking on my friend, ahjumma.”

 

Before Jessica could act, the lecturer had shown up at their table, fearing another squabble and she backed down to excuse herself sweetly to go to the bathroom. Hyomin watched Jessica leave the classroom and patted a still fuming Jiyeon on her head to calm the maknae down. 

 

Why did she sound hurt when I brought up Yuri?

 

 

 

 

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

 

Author’s Note:

Another chapter for the weekend.

Sorry it came a little late this time, things at the office are piling up and it’s been hard to squeeze in time to work on this fiction. 

Nevertheless, I hope you’ve enjoyed this chapter and do tell me your thoughts on it.

Have a great weekend ahead!