Chapter Four

Forbidden Love

Youngjae isn't sure if she should call this date awkward, or normal. But she is sure as hell not enjoy a single second of it. It hasn't even been a minute into the date with Ken and she is already hating it. Not to mention, her stone faced body guard and Ken's bodyguard following the two "couple" everywhere. His own very presence is enough to remind Youngjae about what happened that night before the ball started, and it only pissed Youngjae more than she was when she was woken up from her peaceful slumber at 6 in the morning by the one and only, Kim Himchan.

I swear I'm gonna kill that unnie one day. 'Time to look beautiful on your first date with your fiancé' my . I just wanted to sleep in on a Sunday morning. Why is it so hard to—

"Youngjae? Did you even heard what I said to you?"

"Huh?" Snapping out of her little world, Youngjae looked up to see Ken staring at her.

He sighed before he continued. "I said do you mind asking your bodyguard to stop following us? I kind of have to talk to you in private. Tell him we're just gonna be by the lake there." Ken asked, face serious at the end of his sentence. Youngjae nodded even though her brain and heart told her not to agree because he is the last person Youngjae wants to talk to.

Turning around, Youngjae walked over to her bodyguard and cleared . He looked down at her and raised an eyebrow, clearly asking Youngjae to continue. "Do you mind staying here and give Ken and I some privacy? We're just gonna go by the lake over there."

"You know I can't do that, miss Yoo. Your protection is my priority." Youngjae resisted the urge of rolling her eyes and looked over to Ken, who already finished talking to his bodyguard.

"You can still see me if you stay here. It's not like we're gonna run away from you two."

"I still can't do that. Watching over you until you are at the residence is my job." Daehyun stubbornly replied and Youngjae sighed.

"Stay here, Daehyun."

"I can't—"

"I said stay. Here. This is not a request, but an order." Youngjae said, using her best commending voice and Daehyun sighed.

"Understood, ma'am."

Turning around without one last glance at her bodyguard, Youngjae walked towards Ken. Taking his wrist into her hand, Youngjae dragged the boy behind her as she furiously stomped towards the lake with Ken obliviously following her. Sitting down on the grass near the bank of the lake that in the park that are currently having their "date" at, Youngjae took a deep breath before looking at the boy that's still standing awkwardly beside her.

"Take a seat, oppa. I won't bite." Youngjae said and Ken made a move to seat but Youngjae decided to play with him a bit more. "No promises though."

Ken stopped in the middle of going down into a sitting position and froze. Couldn't hold in the laugh any longer, Youngjae hunched over, grabbing her stomach as she continued to laugh. Ken stared at her and then joined in, not shortly after she started to laugh and finally sat down next to the girl when the laughter died off.

"So, what did you need to tell me that's so private that you have to leave the bodyguards behind?" Youngjae asked, hugging her legs and leaned her face on her knees, facing Ken.

"I NEED to call the marriage off." Ken said and Youngjae looked at him like he grew a second head.

"Uh...What?"

"I can't marry you. I... Have a relationship going on with someone." Ken replied, looking anywhere but towards Youngjae.

"Who? Leo oppa?" Youngjae asked, looking at Ken.

He stayed silent and Youngjae waited until he nodded. "How did you know?"

"You know? I have eyes everywhere. I ask for the informations about people who I'm about to meet. And I ask my own people. Not my dad's. They won't say anything about you other than the most basic information." Youngjae smiled and looked at the lake as the water ripples from when the birds landed on the water.

Ken looked at her and was surprised. He has never met anyone like Youngjae. Independent and strong. Something he's never seen in girls. Or at least the ones he met before.

"What about you? Are you okay with this?" Ken asked, realized that he has never asked her about her opinions on this sudden engagement.

"Of course not. But what can I do? I have a father with a stone heart and stubborn brain and a mother who is not even my real mother and can brainwash my father better than a professional hypnitiser," Youngjae said, leaning back on her arms. "All I can do is fake it till I make it."

"That's not true. You don't have to do what they say." Ken said and Youngjae scoffed.

"Then what do you think I can do? Rebel? Run away from home?"

"Of course. That's what I did when I first told my mother about Leo hyung. She supports me now, but back then she didn't so I ran away from home. I only went back because of my grandfather. My father only forced me into this engagement because he found out about Leo hyung and threatened to get him fired from his work if I don't get engaged."

"I guess that's what you get for being the child of a wealthy family." Ken laughed and turned his head around to check on their bodyguards, only to turn back around to laugh louder than he was.

"What? Did you see something funny?" Youngjae asked, patting Ken's back when he started to cough upon choking himself while laughing.

"We should probably head back. Your bodyguard looks like he's about to kill someone."

"Leave him be. He's been like that ever since the party." Youngjae replied, leaning her head on her knees again.

"I heard from your brother that you two are pretty close." Ken smirked and Youngjae looked at him.

"You know Youngjae oppa?"

"More than just know. We've been friends ever since middle school."

"What did he tell you?"

"Oh. You know. Just little things like you two look like you just had a fight before the engagement party. The atmosphere between you two were totally frozen. And he's been staring at you during the party like a jealous boyfriend. Oh and also debating on following you when you ran out of the party after what Kai said. He also said that you looked pretty distracted during the party."

"He said too much," Youngjae murmured and sighed. "I honestly have no idea why he suddenly snapped at me that night. I really though he would be supportive, or at least congradulate me or something. Not snap at me and giving me the cold shoulder."

"But you're also giving him the cold shoulder." Ken said and patted her back as a sense of comfort.

"I don't even know why I'm giving him the cold shoulder. I just feel like—"

"You're very confused on whether your feeling towards him is real or not?" Ken interrupted her and Youngjae was taken aback by his words.

"Feelings? I don't have any feelings towards Daehyun other than just friends."

"Are you sure? Youngjae, I know I am in no place to say this since I don't know you really well, but I know a lovestruck girl when I see one. And also when someone is obviously trying to figure out their emotions. You just happen to look like both combined." Ken said and Youngjae looked away.

"I don't like him like that."

"You don't have even a tiny feeling towards him? Not when you look at him in the eyes? Not even when you suddenly feel your heart racing at the mention of his name?" Ken asked and Youngjae thought about that morning of the party.

She thought about how her heart started to beat abnormally fast when Daehyun looked directly into her eyes when he was singing to her. How her stomach felt funny whenever he sang the chorus of the song. And she also started to thought about how comfortable she felt whenever Daehyun is around. She thought about how whenever Daehyun is around, her mood is up-lifted and she feels safe around him.

"Do you think I like him?" Youngjae asked, turning around to have a quick glance at her bodyguard and then turned to Ken again.

"Only you can find out. But I don't think that would take long." Ken said and gave her a hearty smile. "Now come on. Let's send you home."


Later that night, Youngjae thought back to her conversation with Ken at the park. She is utterly confused with herself. She's unsure about how she felt towads her bodyguard.

"Do I really like him?" Youngjae asked herself out loud and sighed.

A knock suddenly came at the door and Youngjae sat up from her bed.

"Jaejae? Can I come in?" Himchan's voice was heard from the other side of the door.

"Of course, unnie."

Fliping on the lamp beside her bed, Youngjae put on her glasses and smiled when Himchan walked in with two cups of what Youngjae is guessing is green tea with honey and lemon. Himchan always knows what to bring when Youngjae is stressed out about something.

"Hey girly." Himchan smiled, handing Youngjae a cup of tea.

"What's wrong, unnie? Why the sudden visit?" Youngjae asked and Himchan pouted.

"Can I not visit my favorite baby late at night?" Youngjae chuckled.

"That's not what I meant, unnie. I love your company."

Himchan chuckled herself and took a sip of her cup of tea. "I noticed you were pretty out of it during dinner."

And it was true. During dinner, all Youngjae would think about was what Ken told her and she couldn't stop thinking about it.

"Unnie. How did you find out when you started liking Yongguk oppa?" Youngjae asked and Himchan looked at her as she tried to think of an answer.

"Hm... Well, I started to notice that I act differently whenever he's around. I find myself thinking about him a lot during my free time and also during training. I noticed how he's just special to me and so I confessed to him. Why? Does our Jaejae like someone?" Himchan asked, teasing her.

"I don't know, Unnie. That's what I'm trying to figure out." Youngjae sighed and held her tea, loving the warmth the cup is providing her.

"Well, you can start off by telling me who he is. Though I probably don't even need you to tell me since I know who you're refering to." Himchan said, smirking at the end.

"Is it that noticable?" Youngjae groaned and Himchan laughed.

"It's not. But I can tell by how close you two has gotten since Daehyun first came."

"I don't know why, but that night of the party, he suddenly just snapped at me and gave me the cold shoulder. I don't even know what I did wrong. That morning was perfectly fine." Youngjae said, bring her knees to her chest and hugged it.

"He got mad at you when he was walking you to the party but he wasn't during that morning?" Himchan asked.

"Yeah. He even sang to me that morning when he came to find me in my piano room."

"He sang to you?"

"Unnie. Do I have to comfirm everything I said to you?" Youngjae asked, glaring at the girl next to her.

"I'm sorry. So then how did you feel? Were you sad that he snapped at you or angry because you don't know why he got mad at you?"

"I felt both, but mostly sad because I don't know why he got mad. And I want to know why he's mad because I miss the Daehyun that is always smiley and happy."

"Well, I can only tell you one thing." Himchan started and caused Youngjae to look at her.

"And what is that?"

"You're sad because you care. And you care because you like him."

What? I-I like him?

"Are you sure?" Youngjae asked, bewilderned by Himchan.

"Well, fine. Let's put it this way. Do you think about him a lot?" She asked.

"Yes. More than I think I should."

"Do you feel comfortable when he's around?"

"Yes." Youngjae answered like it's the most obvious answer in the world.

"Do you feel safe when he's with you? Not just because he's a bodyguard?"

"Yeah."

"Now let me ask you this. Suppose you are walking around the streets just by yourself and you happen to see Daehyun. You were about to walk up to him but stopped when you saw that there's a girl with him. They  obviously look very close together and is really happy. How would you feel?" Himchan asked, taking Youngjae's cup out of her hand.

"Well, first I'll probably feel very surprised that he's with someone else. And then I'll feel sad that he's not with me, but instead with her. Then, I'll feel mad because that girl should have...been...me." Youngjae trailed off nearing the end of her sentence and then look up to Himchan, who gave her a sly smile while taking a sip of her tea.

"And I guess I don't need to tell you what that emotion is, right?"

Youngjae stayed silent until she suddenly let out a small squeal.

"Oh. My. God. I... I like my bodyguard. Unnie. I like my bodyguard!" 

"Okay, child. Don't need to repeat it twice. I heard you loud and clear the first time." Himchan glared at her but her face softens once she saw Youngjae's face drop.

"I...like him. But I can't like him that way. Unnie."

"And why not?" Himchan pressed on.

"My father will ruin him if he finds out I like Daehyun. He might fire him and ruin his life. I can't let that happen to Daehyun. What if he starts to hate me even more than he already does? Unnie. What do I do?" Youngjae asked, face in her hands.

"Well, first of all, I'm sure Daehyun doesn't hate you. He CAN'T hate you. And second of all, you're father won't find out unless you tell him. Now stop being depressed and fingure out if you want to tell him or not." Himchan reasoned with the younger girl as she brushes her hair in a calming way.

"I can't tell him. What if he doesn't feel the same as me? What if he only sees me as a client? Or a bratty rich kid that he has to protect? Or—"

"OKAY! Stop! Yoo Youngjae, you know that he for sure doesn't see you like any of those. Plus, I'm pretty sure he's not mad. He's just in one of those phases." Himchan interrupts her before she can continue even more.

"What do you mean by that?"

"Youngjae. For someone so intelligent as you, you are very dense."

"What?"

"Whatever. I'll see you tomorrow." Himchan said, getting up from Youngjae's bed and took the two long forgotten cups of tea in her hands. As she began walking towards the door, she stopped mid way when she remembered what she actually came to Youngjae's room for. "Oh and Yongguk oppa will take Daehyun's place tomorrow."

"Why? What about Daehyun?" The girl asked, surprised that her bodyguard isn't gonna be here tomorrow.

"Well, he came in after dinner and told Jungmyun that he's out for tomorrow. Something about going back to Busan and taking care of some business. He looked pretty pissed about something too." And with that, she's out the door.

All alone again, Youngjae started to think about Daehyun even though she's trying so hard not to think about him.

It's not like he's never been off duty. But he's going to be in Busan. It's so far away from here, too. God damn it, Daehyun.


Having Yongguk as a bodyguard isn't that bad. In Youngjae's opinion, he's a fun person to be around with. But having being so used to having Daehyun by her side, she couldn't help but wish that it was Daehyun guarding her instead of Yongguk.

"Is something wrong, Youngjae?" Yongguk asked and Youngjae sighed.

"No, oppa. Just...tired." Youngjae replied, leaning her head on the window next to her, watching the trees pass as her car goes down the road.

It's one of these days that makes Youngjae hate that she's the one taking over her father's company. Early meetings, long presentations, and never ending goal settings for the company. And she also just hates the people there. They're all just so...fake.

"Jae, we're arriving in five minutes. Prepare yourself." Jungmyun said in the driver's seat and Youngjae let out another sigh.

"I hate that place with my guts." Youngjae murmured and the two men in the car with her laughed.

"Sometimes, after seeing you and your family, I'm really glad that I chose to become a bodyguard instead of taking over my father's company." Yongguk said and earned him a hard shove.

Yongguk is the son of Bang Yoonmin, the CEO of the Bang corporation. After his oldest sister, who is suppose to be the one taking over the company, and his twin brother both successfully pursuaded their parents that they want to do something better than take over the company, Yongguk was forced to take over. But he didn't want to so he persuaded his grandfather, who is the main stockholder of the company, that he wants to do something other than taking over the company. His grandfather only agreed when Yongguk said he would train to become one of the bodyguards for the company. But then, Youngjae's father hired him before he could work under his grandfather.

"You didn't chose to become one. You and your grandfather made a deal. Technically, you could still take over the company." Youngjae glared at the older man and groaned when she felt the car come to a stop.

Her misery only grew bigger when she saw the amount of paparazzi outside of the company door.

This is why you DON'T publically announce your uality, oppa. Oh and note to self, this is also why you DON'T publically announce that you have no plans on taking over the company.

"Relax, Jae. I'll be right next to you." Yongguk said, getting ready to open his side of the door.

"I know. I'm...relaxed." Youngjae isn't sure if that was for Yongguk or herself.

"Hang in there, kid." Jungmyun said before both him and Yongguk are out of the car.

You can do this. You can do this. You can do this. Youngjae repeated in her head and stepped out of the car when Yongguk opened it. It wasn't until the door closed behind her that she regretted even coming to this meeting. I CAN'T do this.

With a little tap on the shoulder, Yongguk reminded her to start walking before she's late to the meeting. The other guards are already blocking the paparazzi from getting close to Youngjae.

"Ms. Yoo! Didn't you announce to the media that you're not going to participate anything envolved with the company?" One of the camera man asked and Youngjae ignored him, knowing better than answering anything they ask.

"Miss Yoo! We got some news that you're recently engaged to the son of Lee enterprise. How are you two processing?" Another asked and questions about the engagement started to come out of nowhere. Youngjae could have sworn that she heard someone ask if the two of them have any plans on having kids.

She was so close to the door when someone asked a question that should've never been asked.

"Miss Yoo! Your mother's anniversary is coming up. What does the Yoo family plan on doing for her aniversary?"

Youngjae halt at the door of the enterprise and the only sound she can hear is the voice of the man that asked the question. Turning around, she searched for the man that asked her the question and it wasn't too hard since he was the only guy in the crowd that had his hand raised. Walking up to the man, the bodyguards stepped out of the way to let her through and the men around him parted away to let Youngjae through.

"Excuse me? Every news company knows better to ask any questions other than the ones enolving my mother. You do not, and WILL NOT, ask me any of that type of question. Am I understood?" Youngjae asked, standing close enough to the man that their noses are almost touching.

Without hearing the man's reply, Youngjae left and walked in the company. It wasn't until she was in that the paparazzi started to yell out more questions for her.

"Ms. Yoo. Your father is waiting in the meeting room with the other representatives for you." Youngjae's PA said right when she saw Youngjae walk in the door.

"Tell my father I will not be attending the meeting. I believe I don't have to repeat myself twice,right, Ms. Goo?" Youngjae asked, face darkened with anger and impatience.

"I will report that right away." Her PA said, bowing before walking off to the elevator to head up to the meeting room.

"I'll go bring the car to the back." Jungmyun said and left when Youngjae nodded.

"You okay?" Yongguk asked, putting an arm around Youngjae's shoulders, moving his thumb pad in a circular motion on her arm to comfort Youngjae.

Under his arm, Yongguk could feel Youngjae shaking in anger and he made a mental note to take care of the man later. He waited until Youngjae calm enough to answer his question.

"Honestly?" Youngjae asked and Yongguk hummed to answer 'yes'. "No. I would never be okay even though it's been this long since she passed. But..."

"But?"

"I will be."

Yongguk smiled and ruffled her hair, laughing when the younger pouted and fixed her hair while glaring at him. Soon, Jungmyun notified Yongguk through his ear piece that he's ready for the two.

Making sure that there are no paparazzi hiding in the area around them, Yongguk carefully transported Youngjae from the backdoor to the car. Once the two are in the car, Jungmyun started down the street and drove Youngjae home.

Three months and two days. Is it going to be the same like every year? Youngjae thought as the car is still on the move. Knowing what the answer is, she sighed and leaned her head against the window, closing her eyes.

Of couse it is.