Chapter XXXVIII – Let Me Free

(LeoN/NEO) The World of Us

[ Chapter XXXVIII ]

Let Me Free

 

 

Hyuk woke up early in the morning as usual and went straight into his training. Everyone was fighting for a reason and getting stronger as they trained, so there was no way that Hyuk would want to fall behind. Even Hakyeon has gotten a lot stronger lately.

As he made his way to the training room, he noticed that the mansion was oddly quieter than usual. As if there was no sign of life other then himself that morning. His master was nowhere to be found nor heard. Hyuk has amazing senses for being a hellhound and could usually hear his master’s breathing and life even from across the mansion. But today, even the sound of breathing could not be heard. This was rather strange. Did Taekwoon go somewhere?

One of Hyuk’s private messengers relayed a message for him saying that Taekwoon went out into town for some reason but didn’t know what it was exactly. Hyuk was relieved to hear that his master didn’t really do anything else out of the ordinary so he didn’t mind it and went back to resume his training.

Taekwoon rarely goes out of the mansion and when he does, it was probably due to some political affairs in which Hyuk couldn’t interfere with anyways.

As Hyuk was taking a break from his training, he heard footsteps coming from outside the entrance. It seems that Taekwoon has returned.

Curious, Hyuk quietly walked to see Taekwoon’s return but as his master went through the door, Hyuk noticed a strange expression on his master.

Taekwoon looked exhausted, puzzled and even frustrated for some reason. Did he have a fight with someone? If so, why does he look like that?

It was a look of ‘defeat.’ But that couldn’t be possible. Being defeated in the Underworld meant death and if his master was still alive to come back home, something else must have happened. Hyuk went down the steps to greet his master back home but Taekwoon paid him no attention.

It was the usual.

Just because Taekwoon allowed Hyuk to stay by his side didn’t mean that his master was willing to open up to him nor anyone for that matter.

 

*   *   *   *   *   *

 

Why are you here Cha Hakyeon? How…

Taekwoon still couldn’t believe it. He kept asking him answerless questions as he made his way back to his bedroom. He locked himself in his bedroom as always but with many thoughts and confusion. Taekwoon would have never thought that he’d be seeing his previous love and lifelong friend here, in the Underworld. How did Hakyeon get here?

What’s going on?

Taekwoon felt the stress of the questions that kept bombarding his mind and having no answers for them, made him even more frustrated. How can Hakyeon be here in the Underworld, a place for those that have died or Gods that resided in the Underworld?

Did Hakyeon die? No, that can’t be right…

Taekwoon had clearly witnessed the strange powers Hakyeon wielded in front of him. It was powerful enough that even Taekwoon was taken by surprise. Powers of light and darkness, it was unrefined but it was definitely strong. With enough polishing of those powers, maybe Hakyeon could be a match to himself… the Ruler of the Underworld.

Exactly what had happened during these five years that Taekwoon has returned to the Underworld? He was afraid to hear any news of the mortal realm or especially of Hakyeon for that matter during these five years that he didn’t know what to think of Hakyeon being in the Underworld.

Does Hakyeon know about me then? About who I really am? Is that why he’s here? For me…

Then, suddenly another thought hit him.

Or Kwon Soo-ah?

Just the thought of that girl’s name once again irritated him. He was annoyed that such a possibility appeared in his mind. Taekwoon forced her here in the Underworld, making her think that he cared for her and once they have arrived in the Underworld, he abandoned her.

Taekwoon didn’t want to think it was possible but he couldn’t allow for such possibility, that Hakyeon had come to the Underworld to rescue Soo-ah, his ex-fiancé. Immediately, he summoned one of his shadowed messengers to find out whether Soo-ah was still in the Tower. When his messenger came back, he was told that Soo-ah has escaped and the Tower had unwanted trespassers a few weeks ago.

Furious. Taekwoon immediately let out his anger to everything around him. He destroyed his room completely with his wrath and the possibility he didn’t want to think of came true.

It must’ve been Hakyeon. How could he? Even after all these years… you’re still willing to betray me? Why can’t you just leave me be? Let me free?

 

*   *   *   *   *   *

 

“I see. So that’s what happened. Are you two okay?” Hyuk asking Hakyeon through a mirror in which they used to keep in touch with one another.

“We’re fine. We managed to escape somehow…”

“That’s good.”

“How’s he? How’s Taekwoon?”

“He wasn’t too happy is what I can tell you. He seems rather confused when he got home but I’m guessing he’s wondering how you’re here. Haven’t seen him so irritated in a while, to be honest.”

“… Sorry.”

“Huh? What for? You did good and managed to get out of there in there.”

“But- I could’ve just said something like I’m sorry and maybe he would listen to me, rather than …”

“Maybe. But it’s also very unlikely he wouldn’t hear you explain. If he didn’t even hesitate to raise his swords against you, I don’t know if he’ll even let you say anything else. So it was only wise to run away while you had the chance.”

“…”

“Don’t worry about it too much okay? I’m sure the time will come and another chance will be given to you when it does. For the time being, you have to get stronger. At least, if he isn’t willing to hear you out the next time, you can beat him down by force and make him listen.”

Hakyeon thought that Hyuk was being quite sadistic at that possibility and honestly speaking, Hakyeon didn’t want the violence. But there was no other way.

“So how’s your training going so far?” Hyuk asked.

“A lot better. Just by having the Moon with me, my powers are in better control. It’s a lot easier to focus as well.”

“That’s good! Once I find some time, I’ll come over again to see it for myself. Is Jaehwan getting any better?”

“A bit. Ravi seems to have developed a better cure for Jaehwan and he doesn’t look as sick as he did before.”

“Ravi did say that he and Jaehwan knew one another for a long time so I’m sure everything will be okay. He’s good at what he does. He even helped Taekwoon countless times in the past when it comes to illnesses. Too bad my master has forgotten all that.”

“Mhmm.”

“Oh, one last thing. How’s that Lee Hongbin of yours doing?”

“Huh? Nothing much. Why? And also, he’s not mines.”

Hyuk giggled.

“Nothing huh? Was just curious. He seems like the rash type to just jump into anything and get himself into trouble. He’s probably the type to be moping around since he lost to Taekwoon. Right?”

Hakyeon couldn’t agree more.

Hongbin has been sulking all the way back home and wouldn’t even listen to Hakyeon when the older was trying to comfort him. Hongbin’s sense of pride was too strong and although he clearly knew that he was only human, he couldn’t believe how overpowered he was against Taekwoon, a so-called ‘God.’ Hongbin couldn’t accept his defeat and immediately hid inside his laboratory to start his intense training once more.

 

*   *   *   *   *   *

 

Never would Taekwoon have imagined that he would meet Hakyeon once again. Especially in such a world where the Sun did not exist.

Only sorrows and regrets live in this world.

Taekwoon thought that once he had left the mortal realm, he would eventually forget about Hakyeon. He kept himself rather busy with the affairs of the Gods even though it had never interested him in the past. But he thought they could keep his mind occupied by something other than Cha Hakyeon. Rather than feeling revengeful or rage, Taekwoon was more so upset that he was betrayed by the very hope and light he believed in.

Every day after returning to the Underworld allowed his heart to sink deeper and further into the darkness. He knew very well the consequences of letting the darkness devour him but he was too tired to fight it and eventually, he gave in. Taekwoon once thought that his empty heart would be filled with happiness when he found out about the mortal realm but now, he wanted nothing to do with it. He wanted to cast all the human emotions he had learned during his stay there and become the Ruler of the Underworld like he should be.

During these five years of him taking over the throne, he had done many things that were violent and irrational. The town feared him, all of the Underworld was scared of the Ruler and even the Heavens had rumors floating about of a merciless tyrant. He knew very well that what he had been doing was wrong. And there would often be times when he asked himself ‘what would Hakyeon think about me if he saw what I’m doing?’

But he should not care what Hakyeon thinks. After all, the one person he loved the most, threw him away.

As he stood by the window and stared out at the far distance of the Underworld, he looked back at the past hour when he saw Hakyeon again for the first time in five years. The boy was taller, a bit bigger and even his hair had been cut differently. Yet those marble doll-like eyes and mesmerizing tone of his voice remained the same.

Taekwoon had spent nine years befriending a voice from the other side of the door.

Months with the boy who had the same voice in the mortal realm and,

Five years trying to forget that very same voice in which he fell in love with.

His heart in which he thought he had sealed away, was slowly beating again. Awakening the emotions that he tried so hard to forget. He was pounding and yearning for Hakyeon once more.

Every memory that came rushing back into his mind was making him harder to breathe. He started to reach for his throat, trying to pave a passage for air. His thoughts and emotions were suffocating him. Yet, it felt so right at the same time.

Cha Hakyeon.

Even now… my heart remembers you and my body is calling out for you. Why must to appear in front of me again? Are you here to break me apart once more, like you did in the past?

Why won’t you let me free? Let me breathe.

 

*   *   *   *   *   *

 

After dinner, Hongbin immediately went back to his room. He was still upset about what had happened in the afternoon and Hakyeon could see that the younger was having a rather hard time accepting his defeat. Ravi and even Hyuk, have warned them that Taekwoon would be too dangerous to handle alone nor should he ever be underestimated. But, seeing Taekwoon’s powers for themselves, it was still rather hard to accept the fact and even Hakyeon knew very well that they were still far too weak to go head to head with Taekwoon.

Hakyeon entered the room to see how Hongbin was doing but the boy had already gone inside his bed and hid under the covers.

“Hongbin-ah? Are you asleep?” He asked and sat down on Hongbin’s bed, trying to peak into the covers.

There was no answer. Or more like, Hongbin didn't even feel like answering and pretended to have already fallen asleep.

“You shouldn’t be so hard on yourself. Taekwoon is strong, we all know that. You’re only human but you already did your best against him. You even tried to protect me and I’m truly grateful for that.”

“It isn’t enough!” Hongbin finally gave up on pretending, which his outburst shocked Hakyeon.

“Being human doesn’t give me an excuse for losing to him! I promised that I’d protect you and I’ve been training so hard this entire time. But… I still lost to him! If you hadn’t stepped in in time for me or if you were still powerless, we’d both be killed! You would’ve been in danger as well!”

“Kong-ah…”

“I just… wish I could’ve done something more for you.” Hongbin’s voice started to crack. “I… I know I always ask you to do this or that and only pushed you away but you’re the first to stand so persistently by my side no matter what I said or did to you. You didn’t turn your back on me and kept encouraging me to do better. Do you remember the first time my dad brought you to meet me? Or what happened right after you became my bodyguard? Even though you had zero experience in fighting or guarding anyone, you never once gave up on yourself nor me.”

 

 

The first time they met was when Hakyeon returned to the Capital after going back home to pack his luggage. He was offered the job by Hongbin’s father and although he accepted the job eventually, he’s never met the boy until his second time in the Capital. He was skeptical of his own experience but he couldn’t let go of such a perfect opportunity to change himself.

When Hongbin’s father introduced his son to Hakyeon, his first impression on the younger was that he was rather arrogant and prideful. For someone three years younger than Hakyeon, Hongbin never once used formal speech with him. Hakyeon should’ve been irritated by the younger’s attitude but he tried not to mind it. After all, he would have to attend to the younger’s side at all times. So, Hakyeon tried his best to befriend Hongbin despite the multiple times of being ignored. Hongbin was obviously belittling Hakyeon’s lack of ability, which made Hakyeon more determined to train more and practiced endlessly.

His first real experience on the job was when Hongbin was invited for a conference meeting at a final hearing at the Parliament before a decision was made. Hakyeon was invited along for the hearing in order to standby and guard Hongbin. The conference itself was rather boring and Hakyeon even questioned himself countless times why he was here in the first place. Hakyeon was bewildered by how many debates a single decision brought out. Politics was too foreign for him to understand.

Just as they thought the conference was officially over, Hongbin was ambushed on the way out by an assassin who had secretly snuck into the conference room and waiting to attack the younger.

Hakyeon was shocked at first and almost too late in response to fight against the assassin off immediately. Instinctively, his body moved on his own and shield the blade of the assassin that almost hit Hongbin, with his very own body. Since that day, a long and deep scar ran down his back; in memory of his first experience as Hongbin’s bodyguard.

Ever since that day, Hongbin saw Hakyeon differently.

Hongbin was often approached by two kinds of people: Ones who want to hurt him or those that want to use him. He’s lost trust in people since he was young and was highly guarded of his surroundings especially when his father introduced him to Hakyeon. An older boy who was supposed to guard him despite having a lack of experience in the field. He looked down on Hakyeon for the longest time, trying to push the older away but when he saw how Hakyeon almost threw his life away to protect him, he began to see Hakyeon in a new light. Although Hongbin still talked with the older informally, he cared about Hakyeon a lot.

When he coincidently overheard Hakyeon’s past and ready to leave for the Underworld, Hongbin became worried that he would never see the older ever again if he had just ignored it.  Although Hakyeon was rather weak by himself, Hongbin thought that with his assistance, that the two would make a good team. He wanted to protect Hakyeon and be of use, repay the older for his service and kindness. Besides his own father, Hakyeon was the second person whom Hongbin felt respect for.

He knew that his decision to venture the world of the Gods was crazy but he couldn’t just let Hakyeon go alone. He would never forgive himself if something were to happen to Hakyeon.

Of course, he was scared. There was no way he wouldn’t feel scared about entering the world of the dead but he was more scared of losing Hakyeon.

 

A/N:

Fun Fact #15: Hongbin is the member who's known Hakyeon for the longest in VIXX (7 years to be exact) and although he's younger than Hakyeon by three years, I realized he barely uses formal speech at all with Hakyeon. This was the one thing I noticed when I first became a VIXX fan. There's so many group out there that makes a big deal out of 'formal/informal' tones when speaking to their older despite calling themselves 'family' but VIXX is like the one group that stays true to that label.

Fun Fact #16: About 90% of the time, Hongbin is standing next to or on Hakyeon's right-side when there are group activities. Even modelling, Hongbin is often paired with Hakyeon for photoshoots. Hence, it seems like he's Hakyeon's right-hand man (His shoulder is literally for Hakyeon's right hand to lay on).

Also, with the teaser images for KRATOS and Hongbin having the wings as a shadow, it was only right that I used this image to tell you all what a guardian angel and dimple princess Lee Hongbin is. Please protect him at all cost so that he never loses his smile (or give him Overwatch to play).

Fun Fact #17: I never would imagine that I'm nearing fourty chapters for my first official fanfic! I'm not a good writer and honestly, speaking English for two decades doesn't improve my writing at all. There's always so much I have to proof-read and edit after every chapter release. About half of the chapters we've got at the moment were actually added each time I go to plan a new arc for this fanfic. The original storyboard have been changed and revised so many times that I've already lost count. 

Fun Fact #18: I tried to write this specific chapter as if it was an episode from a drama. I hope you don't mind me going back and forth between characters and what's going on with them. I think every chapter we should still have a glimpse of OT6. Even though NEO is the main characters of this story, each member has a specific role and story as well; they're all equally as important as the main!

Fun Fact #19: Finally, I'm currently in the middle of planning my trip to Seoul with another Starlight in January next year, in order to watch Hakyeon's musical performance. Anyone else want to join xD