Chapter XXX - Lee Jaehwan

(LeoN/NEO) The World of Us

[CHAPTER XXX]

Lee Jaehwan

 

 

Did he just say ‘God’?

Hakyeon could not make out what he had just heard. He was confused more than ever.

“A God? What are you talking about Jaehwan?”

“Yup. A God. Surprising right?”

“If you’re joking again, you better stop. I’ll get angry.” Hakyeon was not in the mood for any jokes even from Jaehwan.

“Wait, wait! I’m not joking. I really am a God!”

Jaehwan placed his palms and emitted a spark of lightning from it to show Hakyeon. Hakyeon was stunned at the sight. He couldn’t believe his eyes.

“See? And I’m quite an almighty God too! Oh ~ and did I mention I’m actually older than you? By a looooot.” Jaehwan laughed.

‘What??”

“Remember years ago when me and my brothers came to Pinewoods to look for a place to stay? We said our parents were too busy outside of town and left us at the Starlight Inn. Actually, that was a lie. I had other purposes for staying at Pinewoods. I also have the ability to change my appearance accordingly. I can even change how I look! But I like my face so I will never change that.” Jaehwan winked and proud of himself. “Anyways, I miss being young again and thought it was fun if I could just be of youth again. Not every God has the ability to become youthful again, only with my skills that you could ever achieve it.”

Jaehwan continued to boast.

“My two brothers, Jaegwan and Jaeho, aren’t exactly my brothers either. They’re more my guardians. They were sent with me by my side to watch over my actions while we stayed in the mortal realm. They had to protect me as well. I’m the son of a powerful God who lived in the Heavens. I’m the descendant or heir of the Ruler of the Heavens. It might be hard to believe but that’s just who I am. Not that I even asked for it…”

“Ruler of the Heavens?” Hakyeon couldn’t help but scratch his heads. He knows nothing of the Gods nor was he ever interested in the myths that people talked about.

“Mhmm. My dad is powerful and he wanted to train me as well since I’m the only one with potential. I’ve got too many siblings but none cared for the power or was just too weak for the task. So he assigned me to study the human world. Here. Therefore, I was sent here to study your kind. Coincidently, I ended up in Pinewoods. I ended up liking you folks in Pinewoods too much and ‘growing’ up with you was quite fun. I would end up forgetting my own identity or duty at times because of you guys.”

Jaehwan was descendent of the most powerful God in the Heavens, the one who ruled the skies. He was much older than Hakyeon but because of his desire to feel youthful again, he decided to be young with his abilities. He didn’t mind being the younger one in their friendship and calling Hakyeon his ‘hyung’ became a habit.

“Wait. So you’re a God but what does Taekwoon have to do with this?”

“Huh? Oh. That’s because he’s a God as well.” Jaehwan replied.

“Wh-what? A God? Like you?” Hakyeon thought he couldn’t be any more surprised for the night.

“Well, not exactly like me. I was born in the Heavens and he was born in the Underworld. My father is the Ruler of the Heavens, and he was the Ruler of the Underworld. Since the first time I met him, I knew who he was. His powers were still too weak to cover up his identity, so it wasn’t hard to know. But I never told him even after he left.”

“Taekwoon… he’s a God too?” Hakyeon muttered.

Hakyeon just couldn’t believe his ears. More than nine years, he’s known and loved Taekwoon, he never once thought of such a possibility. Taekwoon being a God. He’s only heard myths of their existence but never did he think he was so close to not just one, but two full-fledged Gods.

“Then, does that mean he’s… the reason why I couldn’t find him here…”

“He’s in the Underworld right now. Back to his home. That’s why you can’t find him.” Jaehwan knew what Hakyeon wanted to say.

“I see...”

Everything finally made sense though.

Why Taekwoon has always been so mysterious since the first day they’ve met. The unexplainable door Hakyeon found. Everything made sense.

Taekwoon never once talked about his home, nor much about himself and each time he did, it seemed as if there was something hidden in the truth he refused to talk about. But Hakyeon never questioned the latter because he knew it would make Taekwoon feel uncomfortable talking about himself. That’s why Hakyeon always ended up being the louder one between the two. He never actually liked talking about himself too much because he wanted to erase who he felt about himself but whenever he was with Taekwoon, he felt the need to be the one to keep the conversations going.

“Do you want to find him? Find Taekwoonie?” Jaehwan asked.

“What do you mean? Can I find him? How?”

“I can help you. Although humans cannot actually get to the Underworld without dying, which is the usual case, I have something that can lead us to the other world. I have the keys to that door. The door where the two of you met.”

Jaehwan proposed.

“But, I also need to know. If you really want to find him badly enough. Do you still love Taekwoon like you did five years ago? Or even more than decades ago?”

“I…”

Jaehwan gave Hakyeon a few nights to think about whether or not he still wishes to see Taekwoon. Jaehwan knew he was breaking the rules already just by revealing who he was to Hakyeon. He’s lived in the human world for too many years and has kept a close eye on the Cha family. He knew of Hakyeon’s mother being a Goddess but never confronted her about it because he knew of the consequences that await her. But strangely enough, Hakyeon intrigued his interest much more.

There was something about that cheerful and energetic boy that made him feel uneasy. So Jaehwan became ‘friends’ with Hakyeon. But he never knew that the friendship between human and God would become something so much more. Especially with Hakyeon and Taekwoon’s case.

Jaehwan has always felt guilty about what happened in his past and wanted to correct his mistakes by helping his two friends. He knew he was defying all the laws of the Gods but he was no longer afraid of breaking them.

 

*   *   *   *   *   *

 

Hakyeon thought that he would hesitate forever when Jaehwan told him to make a decision but he knew he’s already hesitated for too long. These five years were nothing but regrets and torture.

He loved Taekwoon and still loved him too much. He thought he could forget about Taekwoon after breaking up with the latter but he was wrong. Every day and night, there was never a single day where he could breathe properly without thinking about his memories with Taekwoon. Each time he thought about his regrets, it pained him nonstop. He longs to see Taekwoon again. He thought he could erase his past, but the past clung onto him persistently.

Hakyeon didn’t hesitate to accept Jaehwan’s invitation to the Underworld, to retrieve his past lover back and correct his mistakes. He doesn’t know what awaits him on the other side but he knows he can’t run away forever. Not when Jaehwan has already told him so much.

Hakyeon decided to meet Jaehwan at where he was staying in the Capital in order to tell him his final decision.

“So, this is where you’re staying?” Hakyeon asked. “It’s very … fancy.”

“There’s no place that isn’t fancy in this city.” Jaehwan exaggerated.

“True.”

“So, have you decided?”

Hakyeon nodded.

“Mhmm. I want to go with you. To the Underworld.”

“You sure?”

“Yes. I just... don’t want any more regrets. I know Taekwoon probably doesn’t ever want to see me again, or maybe even forgotten me or even… hates me enough to possibly want to kill me. But I just want to tell him everything that’s on my mind. I feel like I need to say it. All these thoughts and memories, they’re torturing me. So many times I want to forget but so many other times when I don’t want to let go.”

“I know how you feel… Alright. I’ll bring you along. The trip will be quick but there’s a lot we have to watch out for. This is the Underworld that we’re talking about. Humans that enter the Underworld can be easily manipulated by the evil and darkness that lurks inside. If we stay too long over on the other side, I’m worried about you. Mentally anyways.”

“What do you mean?”

“Humans are different from Gods. We breathe the Heavens and Hell like it’s normal for us but humans are not used to it. Unlike the Heavens, where I was born, the Underworld is filled with darkness and souls that roam the lands. Souls of those that passed away both from sins and regrets. They can mentally torture their prey if they’re not prepared for it. If their minds are too weak, they would be devoured by the darkness and become possessed.”

“I see… wait! Then what about Soo-ah? If Taekwoon took Soo-ah to the Underworld, doesn’t that mean she’s in danger as well?”

“I’m not sure either. I haven’t figured out what’s going on in the Underworld either since Taekwoon went back. That’s why I’m going there to find out. All I know is that he’s taken over the throne after his father. He’s the new Ruler of the Underworld now.”

“Taekwoon is… what?”

“Hard to believe I know. But those are the rumors. I am worried about Soo-ah too though. Not that I ever really cared about her but she’s innocent. She just got caught in the mess and now she’s taken to a place that will never see the light again. That’s why we also need to bring her back or at least what remains of her.”

Hakyeon was surprised to hear about the world that Taekwoon was born in. A dark and cold place that has never seen the sun. It meant that the first time Taekwoon saw the light was when he came to the human world to find Hakyeon. This made Hakyeon feel even guiltier as he had turned away from Taekwoon and cast him back into the darkness. Not to mention, it was because of his own foolishness that also made Soo-ah get taken away as well. Hakyeon couldn’t understand why Taekwoon decided to take Soo-ah from the human world but he knew that Jaehwan was right, whatever the reason, he had to save both Soo-ah and Taekwoon.

“When do you think you’ll be ready to head off? We need to go back to Pinewoods first right?” Jaehwan asked.

“Yeah… I need to get back home first and see how dad is doing. I don’t know how long the trip is going to be and whether or not I’ll even make it back… Anyways, I need to at least follow up with my job here as Hongbin’s bodyguard. I should at least make sure to find a replacement for me while I’m gone.”

“No need.” Someone opened the door and interrupted them.

To Jaehwan and Hakyeon’s surprise, someone came in the room and heard their entire conversation.

It was Hongbin.

“Hongbin-ah!” Hakyeon exclaimed. “Wh-what are you doing here??!”

“Following you. What else? You never go out on your own but you did for once today and acted really strange when you left. Saying you had some important matters to attend to. I got worried and decided to follow you to see what was up.” Hongbin said.

“Wait. Does that mean you heard-“

“Everything. Gods, Underworld, and this Taekwoon or whoever.”

Jaehwan sighed.

“Should I erase his memories? Or bury him somewhere?” Jaehwan suggested.

“W-wait! I won’t tell anyone. Promise.” Hongbin got shocked and stepped back behind Hakyeon.

“Really? You won’t?” Hakyeon asked.

Hongbin nodded frantically.

“People would think I’m crazy anyways if I tried,” Hongbin reassured them. “But! You have to bring me with you!”

“What? You’ve got to be kidding. There’s no way… it’s too dangerous! What if something happens to you?” Hakyeon worried.

“So? It’s dangerous and you’re still going! Bring me with you.” Hongbin demanded. “You’re supposed to be my bodyguard right? I don’t trust some stranger to guard me except you! If you’re going to the Underworld or wherever, I’m coming along as well!”

“But didn’t you just hear? It’s too dangerous for humans.”

“And? You’re human too! It’s just as dangerous for you as it is for me!”

“Technically, Hakyeon-hyung isn’t exactly human. Just half of it,” Jaehwan decided to interrupt the two’s argument.

“What??” Both Hakyeon and Hongbin looked at Jaehwan and asked.

 

 

A/N

Do you guys remember the Hades jacket photoshoot? With the bathtub and all? Jaehwan had the 'keys' and also in the MV, he was the one who invited/led Hakyeon to Hell :)