Chapter three.

I am no prince if not yours
Please log in to read the full chapter

Hi guys!
I finally got time to update this third chapter!
It's the last one but an short epilogue will be coming too to complete this story more nicely (but I haven't finished writing it so idk when I'll be able to post it... but ASAP i promise!)
Thank you so much as always for your feedback and your support <3
Please enjoy!

 

 

  Chapter Three.
The Damsel in Distress.

 

 

 

          The weeks passed. Time flew fast as they got more classes, indoors and outdoors practices. Much to Donghae's surprise, he got great grades during all his exams (mostly thanks to Hyukjae, who could fix Donghae's silly mistakes). Their second year eventually came to an end and, after a couple weeks of holidays, they began their third year.

Being a third year had its perks. They got new weapons, new armours and less theoretical lessons. Donghae liked the practical lessons a lot more. At least he wasn't stuck in a classroom, bored and sleepy.

The biggest change was that they got a master of their own - an elder, experienced knight. Being an apprentice, they spent half the week out of school, living with their master and following his teaching.

Donghae's master was Sir Park Keun Hyung, an old man in his early sixties. There was a strong sense of nobility in the elder's wrinkled, smiling eyes. He was kind and patient, always taking his time to explain things to Donghae when the young prince asked questions or misunderstood something. Donghae admired him a lot and was very proud to be his apprentice, while the old man pampered him like a man pampers his grandchild.

The only problem as they got a master and spent half their week out of school, was that Donghae couldn't spend so much time with his friends anymore. He missed them, and missed Hyukjae even more.

Hyukjae's master was stern and demanding. It wasn't rare that Hyukjae left school first and came back the last, sometimes even a day after the others. And while being at the academy, he seemed exhausted and slept a lot. Donghae never dared to wake him up in the morning anymore and he'd let his friend sleep until the classes started. They didn't talk as much as they used to and he didn't like it.

Donghae really missed him a lot. 

And then, there was this other thing about Hyukjae. He didn't dare think about it or his heart would start racing. They were feelings he couldn't explain, a deep trouble in his heart, growing every day. He couldn't put words on it. It felt thrilling, but it felt wrong too. Scary. He could tell something was changing inside of him, and it was his feelings for Hyukjae.

It had started some months ago, during their second year, and the blooming feelings had never faded. It wasn't just a passing fad anymore. It was anchored in his heart and in his head. Sometimes, he just had to look at Hyukjae and felt his heart stutter. Sometimes, when Hyukjae held his hand or combed his messy hair, he would start blushing like crazy. Sometimes, Hyukjae smiled and praised him and he felt an explosion of butterflies inside his belly. And then, sometimes, when Hyukjae talked to someone and ignored Donghae, the young prince felt stupidly sad.

But he didn't want dare think about it. Those feelings were wild, untameable, and scared him. He couldn't tell why, but it did.

He had never felt so confused before.

 

 

"Hey!"

Donghae looked up from his plate and smiled as he watched his new friend, Sehun, approach.

"Hi Sehun!" he greeted happily. "Wanna join me for breakfast?"

The first year grinned widely and vigorously nodded. He pulled the chair facing Donghae and nearly dropped his tray on the table before dropping himself on his seat. Donghae chuckled at his friend's eagerness.

He had met Sehun when the young prince had arrived to the academy for his first year. Donghae had found Sehun wandering in the castle, lost, and had offered to guide the younger boy around. Sehun reminded him of himself and of how he had been happy to get some help on the day he had arrived himself.

Since then, the two of them had been good friends and they would hang out whenever they could - which was mostly during breakfast now that Hyukjae never woke up early enough to have breakfast with Donghae.

"How was your training with your master?" Sehun asked with his mouth already half full of food.

"It was great!" Donghae beamed. "He taught me how to climb a tower. Seems like some princesses get stuck in towers and you need to climb to go and get them. Princesses are a bit stupid, I think. They always get themselves in stupid situations..."

Sehun burst out laughing and promptly put a hand in front of his mouth to prevent himself from spitting his food around. "Hyung, if you don't like princesses, you went to the wrong school!"

"It's not that I don't like them", Donghae retorted with a pout. He shifted uncomfortably. He knew he wasn't supposed to dislike princesses but he seemed to never find any interest in them, unlike his classmates who were eager to impress them. "It's just... they are always in trouble and need to be saved!"

"Yeah, but saving them with passion and bravery is the best way to prove that we are worthy of being their prince, right?"

"Right", Donghae mumbled.

He still had some doubts about this whole thing. He was the type to get in trouble himself. How was he supposed to save anyone when he couldn't even take care of himself? Hyukjae was always there to keep him out of trouble, but if he ever found a princess to save and marry... then he wouldn't be there for Donghae anymore.

The mere thought of it was depressing.

"Hyukjae is so good at this, he'll find a princess before the end of the year", he muttered dejectedly.

Sehun nodded, unknowingly making Donghae even more depressed.

"There's a rumour about him though", the younger prince said. "I heard from a guy in my class that Hyukjae has already saved a princess during one of his training, like he saved her from pirates or something, and they're dating now."

"What?!" Donghae cried out, eyes widening and heart thumping. "No way! I would know about this!" he denied. "He would have told me!"

"Yeah I think so, too", Sehun agreed. "You tell each other everything, right?"

Donghae pursed his lips. He thought Hyukjae and he talked about everything. They did, didn't they? But know his hands were shaking and his heart was aching, and he wasn't sure about anything anymore. Doubts were the worst... The mere idea of Hyukjae having found his princess made him sick, nauseous.

He had to ask Hyukjae about it, just to be sure...

They finished their breakfast, though Donghae barely ate anything and remained mostly quiet. He did his best to smile and laugh at every joke Sehun did, even if his chest felt heavy and his stomach full of knots. As they eventually stood up and proceeded to get to their respective class, Donghae spotted Hyukjae walking out of the dining hall.

"Sehun, I need to go! I'll see you later!" he hastily told the other and ran out of the room before Sehun could even reply.

He ran after Hyukjae and quickly caught up with his best friend. His heart was beating too fast and he gulped down nervously.

"Hyukkie!" he faked a cheerful tone as he jumped on his friend and placed an arm around his shoulder. "I didn't know you were up. Why didn't you join me and Sehun for breakfast?"

Hyukjae stopped and pushed Donghae away, forcing him to release his grip on his shoulders. He glared at Donghae, much to the prince's surprise.

"Oh, you and Sehun seemed to want some time alone, so I thought I should let you guys enjoy yourselves", Hyukjae coldly said. "I wouldn't dare to bother you two having so much fun eating together."

Donghae blinked. He wasn't sure why Hyukjae seemed so pissed about it or why he was treating him so coldly, but it made his heart sink a little more.

"You never bother me, Hyukkie", he quietly said. "Why are you saying that?"

Hyukjae snorted but said nothing. He was looking away now, but still had the same anger shining in his eyes and the scowl on his face. He looked exhausted too, and Donghae wondered if his friend wasn't just really moody because he lacked sleep.

"Next time you manage to get out of bed in time, come have breakfast with me", he muttered. "We barely see each other anymore... I miss you..."

Hyukjae seemed to relax when he heard those words. He sighed and glanced at Donghae. His eyes softened. "Yeah, okay", he mumbled and looked away, seemingly embarrassed. "Sorry I snapped."

"It's okay", Donghae said and shook his head. "I know you're tired."

Hyukjae looked away. "Hmm. C'mon, we'll be late for our lesson", he said in a softer voice.

Donghae smiled and followed Hyukjae through the hallways as they headed to their classroom. He opened his mouth a few times, trying to ask the question burning on his tongue, but no sound came out of his mouth. He grew more and more nervous as the minutes passed.

"Hey Hyukkie", he suddenly blurted out. He had to ask. It was driving him insane.

Hyukjae glanced at him. "Yeah, what?"

"I've heard people say that you saved a princess from pirates", Donghae said, trying to sound curious but unconcerned about it.

"Ah", Hyukjae nonchalantly said. "Yeah, I did that."

Donghae's heart missed a beat. He felt his eyes go wide. "Y-You did?"

Hyukjae shrugged. "Yeah, it was during a day of training with my master."

Donghae paled. His throat felt so tight he wasn't sure how he managed to breathe anymore. "S-So... are you two dating now?" he inquired.

Please log in to read the full chapter