Chapter two.

I am no prince if not yours
Please log in to read the full chapter

Hi guys!
I thought I would update faster but I've been quite busy lately, sorry!
Thank you for your feedback on the first chapter! <3 Here comes the second one! :) hopefully it'll be more entertaining!
Hope you enjoy! <3 sorry for all the typos I didn't see, my english is getting so bad OTL

 

 

  Chapter Two.
The Perfect Partner.

 

 

 

          The first year went by fast. So fast Donghae barely realized the months even passed. Nothing remarkable happened during his first year in school: he went to his classes and learnt a lot. He also found out he wasn't very good with academics. It wasn't easy for him to stay focused on his teachers and their endless monologues (and, to be honest, he only liked the classes about fighting and strange creatures). Hyukjae tried many times to tutor him, but Donghae seemed to be a hopeless case.

It didn't take long before Hyukjae became his best friend, the BFF he had always dreamt to find, and soon they became inseparable. The other students rarely saw one without the other. Not that Hyukjae was his only friend, Donghae had made plenty of friends, but he was his best friend.
Donghae got well along with Siwon as well, and that was great as they shared their room in the dorms, but Siwon hand out mostly with Heechul and another prince called Hangeng.
Donghae befriended Henry too, with whom he could play pranks and silly games. He liked Ryeowook as well, who always cooked for him when it was past dinner time. Heechul had taken a liking in him and had proclaimed himself Donghae's Godfather and Donghae loved to get pampered by the elder prince (which always seemed to annoy Hyukjae).
Kyuhyun and Donghae were good friends too, but Donghae liked Hyukjae better because his best friend would let him copy his notes while Kyuhyun would scold him for sleeping in class.

The other students thought it was strange how Donghae and Hyukjae could even be friends. They were like fire and ice. Complete opposites. Donghae was popular among the teachers and students from all grades. He was as always a happy, smiling little ball of sunshine, a cheerful and sweet soul. Of course he was sometimes annoyingly immature and played stupid childish pranks, and he was clumsy and bad at studying, but they loved him none-the-less. Loving him was as easy as breathing. He had a natural talent when it came to socialize.

On the contrary, Hyukjae was the best student, scoring the best grades and completing any task perfectly. He was popular too, but in a different way. The other princes admired him for his skills and intelligence, but feared him a little too. After all, the young prince always carried an intimidating look on his face and showed little interest in helping others. Some even dared to say he was pretty selfish and only did something if he got something back. But they would never say those things straight up to his face, because Hyukjae was quite harsh to people and a glare from him was enough to make people look away uncomfortably.

The most surprising thing was that Hyukjae was tough with everyone but Donghae. He was always patient and gentle when it came to Donghae. Even Siwon, his childhood friend, didn't get this kind of soft treatment. The stern and stiff prince always seemed to melt whenever he spoke to Donghae.
Donghae didn't know why Hyukjae acted this way, but he didn't mind it one bit. Secretly, he loved it. He felt special to Hyukjae. He felt privileged.

Donghae was also known as the clumsiest student of the school. The teachers scolded him a lot during the first weeks, but they gave up when they realized he coudn't help it. They tried their best to be patient. Donghae would just smile sheepishly every time he broke something, tripped on his feet and fell down face first, or every time he showed up late in class. In his defence, he managed to stop getting lost every day after a few weeks in the school. It still happened occasionally, but Hyukjae made sure to come and find him whenever he found himself wandering somewhere he shouldn't be.

In exchange for all the care he received, Donghae had taken the responsibility of helping Hyukjae waking up and got him out of bed every morning (not wanting to get out of his bed was probably Hyukjae's only weakness).
The two of them would go and get breakfast together almost every day, and then they went to the classroom together. They sat beside each other in every class, and Donghae would sleep while Hyukjae would look extremely bored (and still score a perfect grade at the exams).
Hyukjae had taken upon himself to protect Donghae if anyone bullied him a little, even playfully, while Donghae always had Hyukjae's back if he heard someone badmouth his best friend. Despite their differences, they worked well as friends.

All in all, he felt at home at school, thanks to Hyukjae and the other guys who took care of him. The first year went fast and Donghae had lots of fun.

But then, the second year begun and the troubles started.

 

 

"You start your second year today", Professor Kangta said on their first class. "And from now, things won't be as easy."

Donghae blinked, staring at his teacher with wide eyes. He was curious, but also felt a little apprehensive.

"You'll get real practical exercises and you'll have outdoors' classes. This will get physical. You'll need your brain, but also your body, your strength, your instincts."

Donghae nodded furiously. For once he was very attentive to his teacher's words. He at theoretical classes, but he knew he could do better with practical trainings. He was good at sports and he had great stamina.

"During this second year, you'll often need to work in pairs. You'll be completely on your own during the third year, but now, you've got to pick up a partner. Choose wisely and pair up with someone who matches you well, because once you guys team up and write your names down on the list, you can't change your mind. Discuss it with each other and when you're a 100% sure of your choice, tell me. Okay? Now go for it! You have 20 minutes."

Donghae's arm instantly shot up. Professor Kangta rolled his eyes at the prince's eagerness.

"Yes, Donghae?"

"Hyukkie and I want to team up!" he beamed.

"How surprising", the teacher mumbled. "Is that what you want too, Hyukjae?"

Hyukjae arched an eyebrow and gave him a disdainful look.

"Of course", he just replied. But he obviously thought the question was stupid.

"Brat", the teacher grumbled as he wrote down their names on a paper.

Donghae turned around to flash Hyukjae his brightest smile and Hyukjae wiggled his eyebrows in reply. If it was with Hyukjae, nothing could go wrong, the young prince thought.

 

 

Their first practice outdoors didn't go as well as he thought it would.
The mission was simple: they had to go into the woods, a few miles away from the school, and track down the big bad wolf. They had learnt to track down a prey, they knew which clues and signs to look for and how to be as quiet as possible not to be noticed by the target.
But Hyukjae was too good at this, fast and swift and way too silent, and at some point Donghae lost him. Or, more accurately, Hyukjae lost Donghae.

The young prince had been briefly distracted when he had spotted strawberries in a bush. He had stopped just less than a minute to go and pick up a handful of the little red fruits - they were Hyukjae's favourite, he HAD to grab some! - yet by the time he had tucked the berries in his pocket, Hyukjae was nowhere in sight.

Donghae ran around, trying to find any sign of the direction Hyukjae had taken, but he only managed to get himself lost deeper in the woods. 

All the trees looked the same, Donghae realized as he tried to find his way out of the forest. He had definitely lost tracks of both the wolf and Hyukjae now. The only thing he could do at this point was to get back to school.

But finding his way back had never been Donghae's forte.

"I'm going to die in this wilderness!!" he whined loudly. His voice broke the silence around and a few birds flew off their trees.

He was pouting the biggest pout of his life. Not only had he put himself in a bad situation, but this was going to penalize Hyukjae as well. Because of him, they were going to fail this mission. He was going to ruin Hyukjae's perfect grades. He was going to ruin Hyukjae's future and bring dishonour on him and his family.

Despite these dramatics thought, there was something positive about the whole situation: he wouldn't starve. He had a stock of strawberries in his pocket.

"Hihihi!"

Donghae snapped out of his thoughts and froze. He turned his head to his right, then his left. He was practically sure he had heard a giggle, but he seemed to be alone in the forest. He scanned his surroundings carefully, looking for the source of the sound, but he couldn't see anybody around.

"Hihihi", he heard again. "He's dumb!"

The voice was tiny, shrilling, and definitely not human. He kept looking around until he spotted a couple of little creatures standing on a branch, just above his head. They were small, barely the size of a hand, with vivid green skin and long, messy brown hair. Their fingers and toes looked like little roots and their yellow eyes, huge and disproportionate, glowed as they stared down at him.

He gasped loudly. "You guys are so beautiful!" he exclaimed, staring back at them with wonder. They were elves, he knew it. He had heard about those creatures for years, he had seen drawings and read stories, but it was his first encounter with the little people.

The elves exchanged a look and then grinned widely, revealing the tiny but very sharp needles they called teeth.

"This human knows how to seduce elves", one said.

"Hihihi! He's not as dumb as he looks!" the other gi

Please log in to read the full chapter