Chapter 2

When the Heart Sings
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

CHAPTER 2

 


It was already the third day of my free week but I couldn't decide on what to do or where to go. I already spend the first 2 days of it just sleeping all day in my hotel room for I was really exhausted. Honestly, I've been pretty much deprived of sleep these past few months because of my busy schedule in LA and I think, having 2 days of decent sleep here was already enough for me to regain my strength back. Plus, I don't want to continue spending my other precious free days like that. Although, sleeping through the week was also a quite tempting idea for me.

Oh well... I should at least go out, freshen' my mind and get some ideas so that it will be easier for me to write songs for the album that we will be working on. It's a really good thing that the CEO was kind enough to give me some time off even though I haven't started working for them yet. I could at least relax, get my mind off things and maybe, even get some inspiration.


Anyways, since I have no idea how to spend this day productively, I decided to meet up with my very close friend when I was still in University.


She was 2 years younger than me but she looked more mature than I am. Not that she looks a lot older than me or anything but it's just that, whenever she puts her make-up on, it would always be dark & thick especially when she puts on her eyeliner & eyeshadow. But without it, she would really look like a baby. Fresh & cute.


Actually, She was the only one that I kept my contact with for the 5 years that I was in LA. She knew everything that had happened in my life especially my past with that person. She was my only friend whom I could really count on and she was also the one who helped me come back to my senses when I was really down & depressed 5 years ago.


I purposely didn't tell anyone except her that I would be coming back here to Korea for I was afraid that if I tell it to anyone then he/she might spread the word and it will be hard for me to avoid that person... The person whom I was running away from 5 years ago...


The person that I'm still trying to forget...


*****


I entered the cafe where we agreed to meet up and immediately scanned my eyes through the sea of people inside, trying to find my best friend. Then a woman with long wavy black hair caught my eyes. She was seating on one of the seats by the window and was wearing a white sleeveless shirt and blue denim short shorts. A smile crept onto my face as I recognized the woman's face especially those dark & thick eye makeup. I hurriedly walked towards her as we finally made eye contact. She stood up with a huge smile on her face.


“BYUL-YI UNNIE!!!!” she called as she waved her hands up in the air in excitement.


“HYEJIN-ah!!!” I called back as I half-run towards her and instantly throw myself at her making her sat back down on her chair. We embraced each other as we both laughed at how silly we are. We broke the hug as we saw how the people inside the cafe started to stare at us.


“OMG! Unnie!!! How have you been??? You don't know how much I missed you!!!” she said as she pinched my cheeks.


“Yah! It hurts! Let go of me!” I whined as I removed her hands & rubbed both sides of my cheeks.


“How was LA unnie? How come you never invited me again after I came to visit you the last time?” She pouted and crossed her arms like a grumpy little kid.


“Aigoo~ I'm sorry Hyejin-ah! I would really love to invite you again but I was just really busy these past few months. I was having a songwriter's block a couple of months ago that I couldn't really write anything. I even almost didn't make it to the song's deadline but fortunately, I was able to find a good movie a week before that and just based my song on it. I really don't know what's happening to me lately? Usually, whenever I get songwriter's block, it would only last for a couple of days or even a week but having it for a month was really hellish. I thought I'm gonna be crazy because of that. Could it be that I'm starting to lose my magic touch Hyejin-ah?” I said as I sadly dropped my head on the table.


“It's okay, I understand you unnie. But you know what, I don't think that you're losing your magic touch. You're MOONSTAR for God's sake! You're the most in-demand composer these days not to mention a genius. Every song that you write becomes an instant hit. But based on what you said unnie, I think that you just lack the inspiration to write songs right now.”


“So what do you think should I do then?” I asked desperately.


“It's easy unnie... You just have to fall in love again!” She said with a huge grin on her face.


“Pfft!!! What do you mean to fall in love? You know that I don't believe in love anymore Hyejin-ah. Plus, you don't really have to be in love to be inspired. There are lots of things around us that can make us feel inspired.”


“Aigoo~~ Then why are you having a songwriter's block in the first place?”


“Well... Uhm... That's because... Maybe... I-I was just really stressed and tired these past few months that's all.”


“Oh come on unnie! I know you're just making up excuses again. Why don't you just give love a chance? There's nothing wrong with that! It's part of life... You're not human if you don't want to fall in love or to be loved by someone!”


“Well, I guess I'd rather be a robot then.” I said as if I couldn’t care less.


"AIGOO~~"


I heard her released a very loud frustrated sigh as she looked at me in disbelief while shaking her head from side to side.


“I really don't know what to do with you anymore unnie! You never listen to me!!! You're so stubborn!!! Hmph!!!” she said as she crossed her arms again.


I just chuckled at how defeated she looked right now. She even looked somehow pissed and so, I decided to just casually change the topic. Since it's already 2:30 pm, I suggested for us to eat a late lunch at a nice restaurant. Delicious food can always tame this angry lioness.


After leaving the cafe, we drove to a restaurant in which Hyejin recommended. This girl is really an expert when it comes to knowing which restaurant serves really good food so I didn't even bother to argue and just followed her directions.


When we arrived at the restaurant, Hyejin instantly ordered a bunch of food and I just watched her as she said her order without even looking at the Menu. She must have really liked this restaurant and been frequently eating here for her to memorize all the food that she wanted to order. I just shook my head smiling as I decided to open the Menu book to see what else they have to offer. As I continue to scan the entire menu, all I could do was to gulp down seeing how much each & every order costs. This girl was really planning to empty my pocket today. I just looked at her in disbelief and she just showed me her evil smile.


Note to self: Never ever make H

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter