Chapter 5

Step, Step, Step to the Top
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It’s the following day that Sehun and Jongin end up sprawled across the carpet, aimlessly lounging around in Sehun’s room. Jongin’s current work schedule fortunately does not include Fridays, so the two (Sehun more than Jongin) thankfully bask in their inactivity after school. Sehun is sitting upright against the wall with his legs crossed, hands gently massaging his worn out feet. He promises to himself to save up for better shoes for the stairs, as his current worn-out sneakers aren’t up to standards.

Jongin, on the other hand, is dancing around for Sehun in the open space. He claims that it’s for a very special performance he’s doing with his friends, and Sehun will “absolutely be invited” when the time comes. The other applauds from his position on the ground as Jongin dances with precision, and he feels himself descending deeper into love (or is it hell).

“We should probably get some work done,” Sehun suggests once the entertainment show is over.

“Why Sehunnnn,” Jongin whines. “That’s what Saturday and Sunday night is for. It’s Friday today, so we should like watch movies or play video games. I’m not in the mood for school,” he scoffs.

“Fine, fine, fine,” Sehun gives in. “What would you like to watch?”

“A drama please. I’m feeling in that sort of mood.”

“Whatever you want,” Sehun voices, and he willingly gives Jongin his way because it was only yesterday that his girlfriend dumped him and Sehun wasn’t a heartless guy. He wasn’t sure about anything else, however, as it wasn’t like Chanyeol had relationship problems to deal with, either. Perhaps he was supposed to buy Jongin ice cream and his hair calmly while he reminisced on the good times with his girlfriend? Was that how it worked?

“It’s starting,” Jongin announces with joy, and Sehun scoots over to the base of his bed to see that Jongin had pulled up “The Heirs,” grimacing at the option. “It’s old, I know, but it’s always a classic in my heart,” he defends as it starts.

 Sehun, being the good friend he was, sets aside his judging stares and replaces them with smiles, deciding to just enjoy his time with Jongin. And even when he’s cringing profusely at certain spots of the drama, he swallows the cringe whole and bites his tongue to prevent any witty comments from escaping. “I think it’s a really cute story,” he comments at one point to appease Jongin, who was so engrossed in the current episode that he was mouthing lines.

“I’m glad you’re enjoying it Sehunnie. The amount of times I’ve seen this series is unhealthy,” he states, and Sehun responds with a quiet “I bet.”

By the time they’re reaching the ending of the drama and Kim Tan is smooching Cha Eun Sang (“I just knew this was meant to be,” says Jongin), Sehun is ready to curl into a ball and pass out. It wasn’t just because of the physical exhaustion – he was just about finished with the lovey-dovey affection and angst and everything that they watched offered.

He looks at the clock to see that it’s 2 am already and sighs, moving towards his laptop to close it shut. “It’s time to sleep, Jongin,” he yawns sleepily. “I’ll sleep on the ground and you can sleep on my bed,” he offers kindly.

“Are you sure, Sehun? Would you be comfortable down there?”

“No, but there’s no way we can fit on my bed,” Sehun replies, and he realizes that he’s slightly blushing as he says it.

“Suit yourself, Sehun. But there’s always room up here with me,” he responds with a smirk.

Sehun throws a pillow at Jongin’s face, saying, “Just quit it and help me grab the blankets and pillows.”

The two open up the hallway closet and quietly remove all of the spare items they need to set up Sehun’s floor bed, not daring to make a sound. As they return to the room, Jongin missteps on the blanket that Sehun’s carrying and slips forward, hitting the ground with a sharp hiss. Sehun tries to cover his mouth in order to stifle his laughter but it doesn’t work, as a few guffaws escape audibly.

“Be more careful,” he giggles out as they close the door behind them.

“How can I be careful in the darkness?” Jongin argues, rubbin

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter