Chapter 1

Step, Step, Step to the Top
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The endless staircase began to hurt his feet.

Trailing behind the couple in front of him, he trudged up each step in agony, cursing himself for ever coming along. He was told that it was only one mile to walk in steps, but even so his mental state multiplied it by ten. "It'll be fun," they said. "You should get out of the house," they said. Sehun frowned immensely, finding all of those iterated words to be lies.

He didn't understand why his older brother and his girlfriend needed a third wheel to tag along, but here Sehun was, suffering all the while. In his opinion, he was fulfilling the role to his maximum potential, as he was stumbling in the back while Baekhyun and Taeyeon strolled ahead with their hands locked together. The more Sehun actually thought about it, it felt like they needed him to emphasize how much it to be single. It seemed like a valid theory, he supposed, as the sole strength of his feet weren't enough to carry him to the top.

Namsan Tower loomed in the distance, and Sehun felt even more pitiful. This was mostly a tourist spot for couples, where they could get their own locks and look out the tower lovingly - Sehun was definitely an outcast in this spring weather. And so, he decided to take a break when the staircase reached a clearing, moving to a bench on the left.

He wasn't tired physically, but he was probably just tired because he felt that he should. Baekhyun and Taeyeon didn't even bother to look back for him and moved on in their little world, something that Sehun was oddly thankful for. He deeply inhaled and exhaled, his hands clutching onto the bench tightly. Once Sehun felt that he recovered some energy, he got up and continued to head for the summit. If he didn't even reach the top of the mountain, then he would be met with large amounts of teasing by his friend Chanyeol. "You're about as fit as a potato," he would say to Sehun, and Sehun would somehow nod his head in agreement.

So with this potato insult in mind, Sehun proceeded to climb up the remaining steps. His school backpack clunked against his back, but he decided to keep it attached and continue on. He needed it to do his work when he got to the top, he had reasoned, as the couple would probably spent an infinite amount of time being all lovey dovey at the tower. Besides, Sehun's original excuse that he had an exam Monday was actually true, but no, they just had to go to the tower with him for "fun". He pouted at the sad situation he was in.

After about thirty steps passed under his feet, Sehun felt almost accomplished, as the summit was in clear view. Yet somehow on the thirty first step his right foot slipped out behind him, and he ended up tumbling backwards until a stranger’s hand caught him and broke his fall. "What the hell..." he gasped out, as the hand lightly pushed him forward, returning him back to a standing position.

Sehun turned around to look at his savior, and he was met with a shockingly attractive boy. "You should watch where you're going" the boy chuckled lightly. "It would be a shame if you had to go to the hospital right before you reached the top."

"Y-Yeah..." Sehun stuttered. "Umm, thank you for saving me," he politely added.

"No problem," the boy replied, gently patting Sehun's back. "Anyways, let's go finish the last few stairs," he gestured.

Sehun nodded and followed his commands, now trailing behind the attractive boy instead. He noticed that he also carried a backpack with him, making him wish that the boy was also there alone and under the same circumstances as he was. "Are you here by yourself?" Sehun finally decided to ask, directing the question to the boy's backside.

"Yeah, but I usually am anyways," he responded, leaving Sehun with more questions. However, he decided to wait to ask them once they were done walking.

When they reached the top of the stairs, the area opened up into a wide plaza, with the tower right over to the side. The cute boy paused and turned around, letting Sehun catch up to him. Sehun looked around with curiosity, taking in the air of the surroundings. As he scoped the area, he found that Baekhyun and Taeyeon were nowhere in sight, so he assumed that they were at the observation deck like they had planned.

"I should probably introduce myself. I'm Kim Jongin," the boy said when Sehun approached him.

"I'm Oh Sehun. Nice to meet you," he responded, holding out his hand to the other. He was unusually trembling a bit, but Sehun blamed it on his exhaustion - it wasn't like he was nervous to talk to this attractive boy.

Jongin scanned his face with an odd look, as if he was trying to decipher Sehun’s facial features. "You look familiar," Jongin said with realization. "Do you happen to go to Seoul High School, too?" he questioned.

"Yeah I do," Sehun answered, now wondering how he had never noticed this boy in his entire life at school.

"What year are you?"

"Second. And you?"

"Second. Have we just never been in the same room?" Jongin asked, his bright smile returning to his face. Sehun felt his heart race a bit but refused to acknowledge that it did, so he looked away from Jongin's face and answered to his shoes.

"I guess so," he nervously chuckled, his feet tapping with anxiety. Sehun was now internally hitting himself for this, finding it almost ridiculous how he had never stumbled upon this handsome student that was right in his school and his grade. Nevertheless, he put any other thoughts aside, remembering that most high school boys would never want to date boys - or him for that matter.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter