Chapter 3

Step, Step, Step to the Top
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

That week, Jongin's visits became a daily trend. He seemed to enjoy coming into Sehun’s class just for a few minutes to talk to the other, and the two usually would have an active exchange of details about almost anything, whether it be school or family or friends. A small smile of excitement would reach Jongin’s puppy-like face, and Sehun had to do everything in his power to refrain from collapsing on the spot.  

“Hey, if you don’t mind me asking, could you come with me to work after school today?” Jongin proposes towards the end of their daily conversation.

“Sure, but why?”

“My shift feels a bit lonely sometimes,” Jongin says with a grin. “Plus didn’t I tell you that you need to relieve some of that stress through walking?”

Sehun is internally bursting with joy, as Jongin makes their outing seem like such a date. Well, maybe it’s perhaps just a friendly invitation, but the connotations all scream date to Sehun. His face feels momentarily warm before he realizes that he has to respond to the other’s offer, and Sehun scratches his right cheek with minor anxiety.

“I’m not busy with anything, so of course I can come,” he says as coolly as he can. “Just text me where to meet you after school.”

“That sounds cool, can I have your number then?” Jongin asks, and Sehun nods rapidly in agreement. He clumsily fumbles around his pants pockets, finally able to pull the phone out his tight pants. The phone, however, decides to bounce out of his hands and do a few somersaults across the ground before eventually coming to a stop at Jongin’s feet.

“Whoops,” Sehun says as he scratches the back of his head, and Jongin simply picks up the phone with a vibrant smile.

“It seems like you drop this a lot,” Jongin laughs, noticing the several small cracks across his screen.

“I don’t mean to, but the world just hates me sometimes,” Sehun jokes, and again he revels in the way it brings another laugh from the other.

The two then exchange numbers, promising to meet up outside after school ended. They bid their farewells, and Jongin heads for the door, making sure to stop in the hall and give Sehun another cute wave before he left definitively.

Chanyeol, realizing that Jongin had left, sets down the book he was pretending to read. “It’s about time he asked you out on a date,” he teases, gaining the unfavorable attention of a frustrated Sehun.

“Hey don’t call it that!” he argues. “And were you even reading that book?”

“No, I just don’t like being around when the two of you talk. I feel like I’m interrupting something so intimate,” Chanyeol shudders, causing Sehun to deliver a playful strike to his arm. “I’m really good at pretending to be a book-lover though, you have to admit.”

“I do have to say, I was about to comment on your sudden appreciation for politics and the justice system,” he laughs, reading the cover of Chanyeol’s textbook and shutting it with a quick push of the hand. Chanyeol looks up at Sehun from his seat and raises his eyebrow out of curiosity.

"He's straight isn't he? Or at least taken, I bet.”

“Smooth transition, Chanyeol.”

“I know it’s smooth, but what is the truth, Sehun? It looks like you’re eating him with your eyes when you look at him. You might as well ask him out on a date as well.”

Sehun could only look down in search of an answer, and Chanyeol takes that gesture as his confirmation. “That look must mean that I’m right then,” he laughs lightly. “So which is it? Straight, taken, or both?”

“Both,” the other sighs. “He mentioned having some sort of girlfriend, but it’s alright,” Sehun states nonchalantly, although the slight bitterness in his voice isn’t filtered out.

“Sure, it’s alright,” Chanyeol teases, but Sehun’s frown makes him stop from going further. He shoots the other a sympathetic glance and pats his head soothingly. “Hey, don’t worry Sehun. Just have fun with this kid and forget about having feelings. Another friend is always good to have.”

Sehun winces at the word ‘friend,’ thinking about how unbearable it would be to have two Chanyeols in his life.

 

~~~

 

He meets Jongin in front of the school, and a smile tugs at his lips once he realizes that the other is clad in round glasses. “My contacts are giving me such an irritable itch today,” Jongin explains once Sehun approaches, aware of the other’s confused expression.

“I almost couldn’t recognize you,” Sehun smiles with joy.

“That’s because I never have to wear these at school,” Jongin laughs. “Besides, I must look ugly in them right now.”

“I think they’re cute,” Sehun says like an automatic reflex, and he immediately turns to the side to bite his tongue. Damn it, Sehun, he says to himself, hating whatever made his words tumble out like that. Even so, Jongin’s gentle laughter assures him that he shouldn’t regret his compliment.

It’s a half an hour later when Jongin and Sehun are trekking up the Namsan stairs. They walk side by side, and Jongin is courteous enough to grip Sehun’s arm when he senses that the other is getting increasingly weary. “You really should exercise more often because I can’t be your helper every time we’re just climbing stairs,” he jokes.

“You’re probably used to this workout because it’s your job,” Sehun breathes out, but a chuckle still manages to slip through.

“Of course I’m used to this by now. I have thighs of steel,” Jongin brags, and Sehun’s scoff is what makes another gorgeous laugh fall from his lips.

“Don’t be so overconfident,” Sehun complains, and he looks over the edge of the path into the sky. His eye falls upon one of the ascending red cars, and Sehun envies it, wishing he was one of the passengers inside. He turns back to Jongin and asks, “Jongin, don’t you ever take the cable car? I feel like it would be a lot less work so you wouldn’t be tired just getting to work.”

“I took it when I first got the job, but I guess I don’t really care about it now. When you walk, you get to experience natural air while getting the scenic view at the same time, you know.”

“You’re weird Jongin, but okay.”

“I could leave you right now,” Jongin teases, although his tightening grip on Sehun’s bicep tells the other that he wouldn’t dare to leave. Sehun just exhales and lets his friend guide him up the remaining flight of stairs.

Upon reaching the gift shop, Sehun watches Jongin strip out of his button-up shirt in order to reveal a light blue T-shirt with the word ‘STAFF’ printed on the back of it. Sehun silently laughs

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter