chapter one

diet

a/n: tbh, i don't know how i feel about this. This is my first time writing something other than a short story with a plot of questionable value. (no seriously, some of my plots are plain trash LOL) I mean they were stupid, but they were easy to write because you can only expand so much on a crap plot. This one felt weird writing idk. Well whatever, it doesn't hurt to upload it. I'm not gonna die from being a mediocre writer. Enjoy ?

P.S. feedback & critism are alwasy welcome. I actually enjoy reading hate because it tells me what I can work on. So just comment and trash me about... anything really.. whether it's diction, my synthax, my face, etc. I'll make sure to read it ;-)

 

 

    Baekhyun was fat. 

 

    In today modern society, where body appreciation is a trend followed by teens and everyone is allowed to love their body, it was hard to call him out on it without offending someone, but he was fat. Now Chanyeol didn’t mean it in an offensive way, nor was he looking down at Baekhyun for being fat, he just worried for him. 

    He thought of this as he sat in front of Baekhyun, watching him stuff his lunch and Kyungsoo’s lunch down his throat. He felt something in him irked when he noticed Baekhyun was eyeing his lunch too. 

    He had a furious debate in his head, tell him to start worrying about his weight or smile and offer him his lunch.

    He thought about it long and hard before his slammed his hand down on the table. Enough was enough.

    “Baek-” he started.

    Baekhyun looked up at him, crumbs dribbling down his double chin.

    Chanyeol smiled and held out his sandwich, “Do you want my lunch?”

    Baekhyun nodded excitedly, his face wobbling, as he reached out and grabbed the sandwich with his sausage like fingers.

 

    Chanyeol slowly ate his ice cream, wondering how he was going to approach the topic. In front of him, Kyungsoo was benevolently eating his ice cream, but he knew his patience was running thin. 

    Kyungsoo set his spoon down. “Chanyeol, you said you had something to talk to me about.” 

    He jerked his head up from his ice cream. “Ah, yes. Umm…” he stuttered. He didn’t have a plan and Kyungsoo was slowly starting to look pissed off.

    Kyungsoo gestured towards him, “Well…?” 

    Chanyeol looked at him blankly.

    “I really hope you didn’t call me out here to waste my time.” He cocked an eyebrow. “Look, if you’re that lonely and in that need of companionship, I can introduce you to a few people. Don’t take this the wrong way, but I actually study, so I can’t go out on a whim with you every time a little thing happens.” 

    Chanyeol opened and closed his mouth. “What do you mean you actually study? You make it sound like I don't study.”

    Kyungsoo rolled his eyes. “Well you aren’t exactly a star student.”

    He huffed, “Well I actually called you out here because I was worried about Baekhyun.”

    Kyungsoo snorted, “Yeah. I am too. If he gets any bigger, he might actually crack the sidewalk when we go out. Not that we go out walking with him a lot, he’s not exactly a stroll around town type of person, obviously.”

    Chanyeol stared as Kyungsoo leaned back on his chair with a smirk. Here he was worrying about bringing up the topic, and Kyungsoo just lightly brought it up, and with a jerky attitude too.

    He cleared his throat. “Isn’t that sort of mean?”

    Kyungsoo blinked. “Well am I wrong? Isn’t that what you’re worried about too? I saw the way you looked at him during lunch the other day.” He saw the expression on Chanyeol’s face and paused. “Look, I don’t mean to make fun of him or anything, but… What I’m trying to say is that I’m worried about him too. I don’t even want to think about the list of health problems he has and never mind the ones he will develop.”

    Chanyeol leaned back on his chair and sighed. “I wish there was some way we could help him.”

    “I don’t think he wants help.” Kyungsoo said, swirling his melting ice cream, “He seems pretty content with himself, not a single hint of self-loathing”

    “But that doesn’t mean he doesn't need the help. Kyungsoo, the boy has more health problems than my 97 years old grandpa.”

    “Well, if you come up with a good idea, let me know.” Kyungsoo said as he started to get up, “I gotta go back to my dorm, I have a giant test in Biology tomorrow.”

    Chanyeol nodded as he scooted his chair back to get up, “I’ll head out with you. I got an English test to study for too.”

 

    Chanyeol slumped down next to Kyungsoo, and set his head on the cool tabletop.

    “How did the test go?” 

    He turned his head to face Kyungsoo who was eating his sandwich calmly. He scoffed, “I bet yours went great Mr. Studious-I’m-So-Hardworking-It’s-The-Only-Type-Of-Hard-I’ve-Gotten-For -21-Years”

    “I take it went badly.” he replied, not even bothering to look over to Chanyeol as he took another bite of his sandwich. “And you’re right, the test was ridiculously easy.”

    Chanyeol groaned, “Why am I so stupid. I should have at least read the book before I took the test on it.”

    “That would be a smart thing to do.” Kyungsoo stopped mid-bite, “Wait, you told you studied, and now you’re telling me you didn’t even read the book the test was on.” he asked, setting down his sandwich

    “I read the summaries off sparknotes.” Chanyeol said defensively, sitting up.

    Kyungsoo stared in disbelief, “You are so ing stupid.” he deadpanned.

    Chanyeol slammed his face back on the table and groaned. He was indeed very stupid.

    He jumped up in surprised when he felt the table rise. He looked over to see that Baekhyun had taken a seat on the other end of the table next to Kyungsoo. His weight had caused the table to lean towards him.

    “Hey Baekhyun.” Kyungsoo greeted, “How did your English test go?”

    “Bad.” he replied pulling out his lunch, “The room was really warm so I fell asleep.”

    “The room was freezing Baekhyun.” Chanyeol countered, “Professor Song never sets the thermostat to anything over 60.”

    “It always feel like 80 in there to me.” He shrugged as he ripped open the package of his Twinkie, “Guess it’s a perk not being stick skinny. You got some insulation.”

    Chanyeol stared at him as he shoved the entire Twinkie his mouth. As he chewed on it, he began taking out the rest of his lunch which consisted of a foot long sub, a canteen of soup, two more Twinkies, a slice of apple pie, a burger, a serving of fries, and one of those one pound chocolate bars you get at Trader’s Joe.

    “Are you going to eat all of that?” he asked hesitantly.

    Baekhyun looked up at him, his chins wobbling, “Yes, I ain’t no .”

    “You’re not a for consuming a normal amount of food as everyone else.” 

    Baekhyun sighed, “You don’t get it Chanyeol.” he said shaking his head, “If I eat the same as everyone else, then I’ll be like everyone else, and that’s basic.” He waved a hand dismissively at Chanyeol, “You can be basic, but I’m not about that life.”

    “Well, you’re not going to have much of a life if you keep eating like this.” Chanyeol shot back, “Keep it up and you’re going to die before you hit thirty.”

    Baekhyun slammed his fist on the table, causing a tremor that reached the floor, “It’s not any of your business on how I live my life. Now, I don’t exactly know why you’re in such a bad mood, but you need to stop taking it out on me.”

    Chanyeol laughed bitterly, something in him did not want to deal with Baekhyun today. “Why am I in a bad mood? Well, I just failed an English test worth twenty percent of my grade, and now I get the pleasure of sitting here at this lunch table with you as you stuff enough food in your face to feed a small family of three for a month.”

    Baekhyun’s face grew red. “Fine, I’ll leave so you don't have stare at my fat face,” and with that he stood up and left, the ground trembling with his anger this time, not just his weight.

    Kyungsoo whistled, “Wow.” he chuckled nervously, “Is this the same Chanyeol who struggled to bring up the topic with me yesterday?”

    Chanyeol planted his face into his hands, “Oh shut up, I feel awful now.”

    “You can just apologize to him tomorrow. You guys have been best friends since third grade, I’m sure you’ll come up with something.”

 

    He couldn’t come up with something. He had tossed and turned all night, trying to think of something clever, and the best thing he came up with was treating Baekhyun out to ice cream or some other food. Even he could see how half-assed that effort seem. Baekhyun might not see it with his thoughts clouded by the promise of food, but he couldn't bring himself to use that against his friend.

    So here he was, at school the next morning, with no plan whatsoever. He stood at the top of the stairs of his university, scanning the crowd for the human blob with a sight resemblance of an overcooked baked potato. 

    Finally, his gaze rested on Baekhyun, lumbering across campus, snacking on a Twinkie. He sighed. How was he going to make things right between them. He turned to walk into the building, but stopped himself. How can things work out if he doesn’t even try?

    He dragged himself down the stairs, and planted himself in front of Baekhyun who was busy brushing crumbs off himself. He tried to brush the few crumbs on the side, but his arms were too round and short. After watching him struggle, Chanyeol sighed a defeated sigh and reached out to help his friend. 

    Baekhyun looked up in surprise, and when he saw Chanyeol, his face contorted. “What are you doing here?”

    Chanyeol finished brushing him off and straightened himself. “I’m here to apologized.”

    Baekhyun huffed, “Why?” he asked turning his nose to up the air.

    Chanyeol sighed for what seemed like the hundredth time today, “For being a jerk about your eating habits, but aren't you the slightest bit worried?”

    Baekhyun tapped his foot disapprovingly, “Weren’t you apologizing? This doesn’t sound like an apology to me.”

    “Look I’m sorry, but I’m just worried.” Chanyeol rebutted, trying to save himself.

    “Chanyeol, I’m fine with being fat. I’m happy.” Baekhyun huffed and shook his head, “Besides, I’m not really fat, I’m more big boned.”

    “The only way you’ll get bones that big is if your mother had an affair with a rhinoceros.” Chanyeol blurted. He realized what he said, and whipped his hand over his mouth.

    Baekhyun took a deep breath, “What did you just say?”

    “…..Nothing.”

    “Chan-“

    “Oh crap, look at the time, my class is starting right now. We’ll talk later.” Chanyeol stuttered, racing up the stairs.

    “You don’t have morning classes!” Baekhyun called after him.

    “Today I do.” He called back, not turning around to look at Baekhyun’s seething face.

 

    “How did it go?” Kyungsoo asked, setting how his bag next to Chanyeol.

    Chanyeol didn’t reply, and buried his face deeper into his arms. 

    “I take it that it went badly.” Kyungsoo said, taking out his pencil pouch and binder, “Did you run your stupid mouth again?”

    Chanyeol slowly rose from the depths of his arms, “How did you know?”

    “Frankly, you’re always running that mouth of yours. I take it because I’m your friend, but really sometimes, you can come off a .”

    “I come off as off a ?” Chanyeol asked in disbelief, “How about you?!”

    Kyungsoo shrugged, “People say I come off cold and calculating, but that’s different from being a straight out .”

    “Ugh….” Chanyeol groaned, setting his face back into the comfort of his arms. 

    “What did you tell him?”

    “Ugh…….”

    “Chanyeol, what did you tell him?”

    “I might have……ugh…..”

    “Chanyeol, I’m not going to ask again.”

    Chanyeol straightened up, “Baekhyun said he wasn’t fat, and that he was big boned, and I asked if his mom must have had with a rhinoceros.”

    Kyungsoo blinked. Then he bursted out into loud laughter, turning the heads of the people sitting around them.

    Chanyeol set his head back down into his arms, “It’s not funny.” he mumbled through his sweatshirt, “I feel awful. I don’t even know why I said that. My mouth is in a serious need of a new filter.”

    Kyungsoo chuckled, wiping the tears from his eyes, “I can’t believe you told him that. That’s hilarious. Well, it’s hilarious for me, I’m pretty sure he’s pretty pissed off right now.”

    “No really? I couldn’t have figured it out without you Kyungsoo. Always good to have you around.”

    Kyungsoo shrugged, “I don’t know what to tell you. No offense, but this situation is entirely your fault.”

    Chanyeol groaned, and rolled his head over to look at Kyungsoo. “I know.”

    “You are going to have to fix it soon.”

    “I know.”

    “And maybe this time, just friendly advice, but maybe you shouldn’t mention his mom’s ual preferences.”

    Chanyeol shot Kyungsoo a glare. “I know.”

 

    Chanyeol paced outside of Baekhyun’s classroom. He was nervous ball of energy, and was trying to calm himself down. When he got too nervous or excited, he usually says things without thinking, like the rhinoceros comment he made that morning. He could do without that the second time around. 

    He checked his wristwatch again. 11:58. Two more minutes before the class was over. 

    He sighed, and leaned against the wall. He ran his fingers through his curly hair in frustration. 

    If he had to be completely honest with himself, he wasn’t sure that Baekhyun was going to forgive him this time. Chanyeol was a rather frank person, and he knew that, and often tried to restrain his mouth in public, but occasionally an inappropriate comment slipped out. Baekhyun and Kyungsoo were used to it, having been around him for so long, but they were human, and everybody draws a line somewhere.

    He sighed again. He really needed to fix that part of himself. It wasn’t like he hasn’t tried, it’s just… It was a reflex for him. His mouth just says things before he has a chance to think about it. He’s going to end up in a ditch one day because of his mouth, and he knew it.

    He heard the door open, and saw students spewing out of the classroom headed for lunch. He stood on his toes, trying to find Baekhyun. After the amount of students began to dwindle down, he spotted Baekhyun lumbering through the double sided doors. 

    “Baekhyun!” he called rushing over to meet his friend.

    Baekhyun turned and saw him, and immediately began to walk the other direction.

    “Baekhyun! Wait!” Chanyeol called again, jogging to catch up to his friend.

    “I have nothing to say to you.” Baekhyun said, walking faster.

    “Baekhyun, I’m sorry.” Chanyeol pleaded. “Look you know how I accidentally let some things slip. I didn’t mean it.”

    Baekhyun huffed and walked even faster, “But you thought of it.”

    “It was a reflexive thought. My mind has a mind of its own, and its kind of snarky.”

    Chanyeol huffed. For a guy who hasn’t worked out since mandatory high school P.E., Baekhyun was pretty fast. 

    Baekhyun laughed bitterly, “Your mind has a mind of its own. Really Chanyeol? Now  you’re just grasping at straws.”

    Chanyeol grabbed Baekhyun’s arm, well his wrist, stopping him in his tracks. 

    “What are you doing? Let go off me.” demanded Baekhyun, pulling his arm back.

    Chanyeol shook his head. “No. You are going to give me five minutes. Not one minute, because then I’ll go too fast, and I’ll forget to think about things before I say them.”

    Baekhyun gave out a defeated sigh. “Fine. Five minutes.”

    Chanyeol breathed a sigh of relief. He let go of Baekhyun’s wrist, and took a step back.

    “Look…” he started, running his fingers through his hair nervously. He glanced at Baekhyun’s frowning face, and felt a wave of nervousness wash over him.

    He started again. “Look… Baekhyun. I’m just worried about you.” he said, twisting his hands. He paused waiting for Baekhyun to reply.

    “Your five minutes is running out.”

    Chnayeol looked up at Baekhyun, “Oh right.” he stammered, “Look sorry. I’m just scared I’ll mess up my apology again.”

    “Well if you don’t hurry up, this apology isn’t even going to exist. I have a lunch to get to.”

    “Right…” he laughed meekly.

    “Okay then well… You have three minutes.” Baekhyun said, tapping his foot impatiently, “And you just wasted two minutes of my life blubbering nonsense.”

    He threw his hands up in the air. “Fine. I’m just going to say it.”

    “Okay! Say it!”

    “You’re fat!”

    Baekhyun blinked, “Umm… If this is your way of apologizing, I recommend you experiment with a new technique.” he said, turning to walk away.

    “Stop.” Chanyeol said holding up his hand, “I still have two minutes.”

    Baekhyun rolled his eyes. “Fine. Go.”

    “Baekhyun, you are fat. You shift the lunch table to you when you sit down. You sweat gallons in temperate weather. You get excessively tired walking up a flight of stairs, and you eat enough for a small family of four.”

    “I’m really not getting where the apology part of this apology is.”

    Chanyeol paused for effect. “But you’re my bro, and I love my bros.”

    Baekhyun stared at him, “Wow. Chanyeol. That-I don’t know what to say-what a beautifully crafted apology. You insulted me for over half of it, then proceed with a ‘You’re my bro.’. Amazing. Do you write these speeches for free? You should be getting paid to write the next presidential candidates' speeches.”

    Chanyeol smiled, “Seriously?”

    “No.”

    “Oh.”

    Baekhyun shook his head, “This was a waste of time.”

    “No wait. Baekhyun, I know I must sound really awkward and stuff, but it’s just I’m not used to this.”

    “What? Apologizing for being a ?”

    “Yes.”

    “I’m surprised. You should have had a lot of experience with this in my opinion.”

    Chanyeol brushed off Baekhyun’s comment, “I am genuinely worried about you.”

    “I can tell.”

    “Seriously Baekhyun. You know how many health problems are affiliated with obesity? If you keep this up, you’re not going to make it to thirty.” Chanyeol pleaded.

    “Oh please. What can a Twinkie do?”

    “Not much, but five Twinkies a day with other junk food on top of that can have some collateral damage.”

    Baekhyun laughed, “What are you now? My dietician? Chanyeol, I am fine.”

    “Please, just go on a diet with me.”

    He scoffed. “You want me to go on a diet?”

    “It won’t be a hard diet.” Chanyeol promised, “I’ll give you one cheat day a week when you can eat whatever you want…. with limitations on the amount.”

    “How about…” Baekhyun said, tapping his chins pretending to muse over it, “How about no.”

    “Just for a month Baekhyun,” he pleaded, “I’ll do whatever you want afterwords”

    Baekhyun stopped, “Whatever I want.” he asked, cocking an eyebrow.

    “Yes,” Chanyeol breathed, relieved he was finally getting somewhere with Baekhyun, “Whatever you want.”

    Baekhyun smiled, “I want you to get someone who will take away my ity.”

    “Yea. Sure. Consider it do-“ he stopped, “Wait what?”

    Baekhyun cocked his head to the side, “What? You can’t do it?”

    Chanyeol did a cursory glance over Baekhyun’s body. His appearance may not matter in their friendship, but it sort of mattered when he wanted to nut down some chick. 

    A light bulb went off in his head. Baekhyun wasn’t bad looking without the extra fat clinging to him. In fact, he was a popular among the girls up until junior year, when he wasn’t required to take P.E. anymore. If Baekhyun looses weight, he might actually get to nut and Chanyeol will get his friend back, healthy and with the potential to live past the age of thirty. Everyone will be happy.

    Chanyeol looked up. “I can do it.”

    Baekhyun smirked, “Are you sure? If you can’t do it, our friendship is over.”

    Chanyeol’s smile faltered, “No, I can do it. But can you extend it to a year then?”

    “You want me to eat rabbit food for a year?”

    “It’s not rabbit food. I promise the food will be good.”

    “You want me to work out over the course of a year?”

    “It’ll only be hard the first two weeks.”

    “You want me to wait a year to nut?”

    “Better than never.”

    Baekhyun gave Chanyeol a look.

    “Sorry.”

    Baekhyun looked down at his body, and seemed to ponder about it seriously.

    “Look,” he finally said, “I’ll do it, on one condition.”

    “What is it?”

    “I get to quit whenever I want.” he stated firmly, “I am not fully committing to this.”

    Chanyeol thought about it, “Fine, then I get to add a condition.”

    “Wait, what”

    “We are not putting our friendship on the line for this.” 

    Baekhyun looked at Chanyeol. 

    He smiled, “Fine.”