Invitation

Moonchild
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Three weeks passed since we met Kris. In that short span of time, he already became one of the most popular guys in school.

 

No surprise there, really. He had the looks and the personality. He was friendly with everyone, be it the nerdy ones, the sporty ones or the goth kids.

 

He was also really nice and easy to talk to. We talked several times already and every time I felt that he was really paying attention to what I was saying.

 

Most guys I know usually talk to me like they weren't really listening but with Kris, it's different. He's really genuine and it made me like him even more. 

 

I was feeeling the usual tingle in my chest as I entered the classroom for AP Calc. It was the only class we shared since I was just a junior and he's already a senior and it was the only chance that I get to talk to him so I was excited. 

 

I immediately spotted Kris. He was sitting at the far right of the room, talking to Amber and Luna. "So are you guys up for it?" I heard him ask them as I passed by.

 

I wonder what he asked them about. I pretended not to care and went to sit a few rows in front of them. "Sure, we'll be there!" I heard both of them say. I wonder where they're going. I grabbed my Calc book from my bag and flipped through the pages.

 

"What about you, Dara?" I stiffened in my seat but felt giddy hearing him say my name. I turned around and saw him leaning to my direction. He was seated a two seats behind and one seat to my left, directly beside the window. The sunlight illuminated his profile and for a moment, I just looked at his handsome profile. 

 

"Dara?" he said. I blinked and gave myself a mental kick. Dara, get a grip of yourself. 

 

"Uh, what are you guys talking about?" I asked.

 

Kris grinned sheepishly at me and said, "Oops, sorry. I thought you heard already. I've been going around and inviting people to a party this coming Saturday."

 

"Oh, I--"

 

"Did I hear someone say party?" I looked up and suddenly saw Bom walking towards us. What was she doing here? She smiled at me brightly and handed over a black pen. "Just returning this, sweetie." I looked at down at the pen blankly. It's not mine. This sneaky girl. Despite this, I smiled and said, "Thanks."

 

"No problem. Anyway, you're throwing a party, Kris? Where's it going to be?" she asked and flipped her hair.

 

Kris laughed and I saw something glinting on his neck. It was a pendant, a five pointed star hanging on a black cord around his neck. It's the first time that I noticed it. 

 

"Yeah, this Saturday. It's an outdoor party. The weather's beautiful lately so I thought it'd be perfect. There's this clearing past the flea market. I thought it'd be perfect to meet there," he said.

 

Bom and I exchanged puzzled looks. Kids here usually hang out at the mall or at the movie theater. And if they throw a party, it's usually indoors. No one throws a party in the woods.

 

"This isn't the type of thing you do here, I guess?" Kris asked, noticing our surprised looks.

 

"Not really, but I think it sounds cool. We'll be there. Right, Dara?" Bom said, looking at me expectantly. Kris turned to me and I couldn't help but nod automatically. "Sure," I said, without even pausing to think about it.

 

Kris's face broke into a huge grin. "Great! I'll text you the directions. What's your number?" he asked and I watched as he stood up from his chair so gracefully even with his long limbs.  Bom took his phone from him and I watched as she brushed her hand briefly against his. I knew she did this intentionally and I felt a pang of jealousy.

 

I wish he was mine.

 

It came out of nowhere. This crazy, stray thought. I shook my head. What the hell was I thinking? I already accepted that I don't stand a chance. I just need to snap out of it.

 

"See you at the party, Kris. Anyway, I have to go now! Later!" Bom said and waved at me as she bounced away happily. She was obviously ecstatic that she got what she wanted and more, saw Kris and even got invited to his party.

 

"Dara, what's your number?" Kris asked. He was held out his phone to me and I took it. Our hands touched slightly and I felt goosebumps. I punched in my number and gave it back to him, being careful not to touch his hand.

 

"Thanks, Dara. I'll be expecting you on Saturday around 6?" he asked and I answered, "Sure, I'll be there." "Great!" He gave me one last gorgeous smile and went back to his place. I have to ask permission from my parents first but I'll make sure that I'll be there. 

 

 

 

Bom picked me up on Saturday evening. "How did you manage to get yourself off your dinner with your aunt?" she asked. "Told them we had a group project," I said.

 

Bom snorted and said, "Lame excuse but I'm surprised that straight A student Dara lied just go to a party." Uh-oh, I hope she doesn't get any ideas that I did it because of Kris. For some reason, I can't bring myself to tell her that I like him.

 

"I'm curious about this party. Don't you think it's odd that we're meeting in the woods?" I asked. "It's a bit weird I guess but Kris is different. He's not like the other guys, right?" Bom said and gave me a sideways glance before focusing back on the road aheead. I didn't say anything to that. We were almost at the edge of the town.  I checked the text that Kris sent. "This should be the spot," I said.

 

"Chen's car over there," Bom said and she was right. Chen's car was parked at the side of the road under a willow tree, along with a few other cars. "I didn't know Chen was invited," I said.

 

"He kept nagging me to ask Kris if he could come so I asked Kris so he'd shut up," she said and rolled her eyes. I laughed and shook my head. We got out of the car and walked through the tall  dried grass towards the woods.

 

We heard people talking and saw light up ahead we looked at each other. "I guess they're over there.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter