2-7

Perfect Future

There were multiple transferee batches before Sunggyu. But from all of them, it’s safe to assume no one had to end up here. No one but Do Junho, introduced to class 11-B.

“Do it for Siwoo,” the new student hears.

Now, in the pouring rain, while every other student would worry over how they’d go home, here the exceptional transferee stood. At one of the school gardens, right under a large tree, he stood with nothing but tension at his fingertips, piercing his palms. 

Only three weeks into the new school and he found himself following the infamous Park Seungho out of their classroom. It only took three weeks for him to dwindle into the mess, throwing away all his hopes to make the best memories with his best friend.

“You’re sure he won’t be blacklisted?”

“Of course Junho, I know how it works - and I know someone that can make sure it doesn’t happen.”

“Will he know?”

“It depends… Will you tell him?”

 

----------

 

There are people you can reason with - people you can convince to change. These are what we hope to find with each other, but our sole hopes can sometimes end in vain.

And sometimes, at times like this, you might as well fight fire with fire… Right?

At least that’s what puts Myungsoo’s mind in peace for now. In the middle of his thoughts, he wanders around the busy school alone, and ends up entering the music room. To his surprise, there was only one person inside: Jang Dongwoo.

“Hyung?”

“Myungsoo! What’re you doing here all alone?”

“I just wanted to walk around. Jjong said he had to get something from his mom so Yeol said we’ll just meet up in the cafeteria in like ten minutes. How ‘bout you hyung? Where are the others?”

“Ah, Woohyun and Gyu just left to visit sir music, Hoya’s probably at the cafeteria,” the older puts his bag away. “You look worried, did something happen?”

The younger teen wonders for a few seconds, whether or not he should say everything. With pursed lips, he decides to speak up.

“Nothing much.. But hyung, I have a question…” He notices the junior raise his eyebrows to signal that he is listening.

“If Hoya hyung was in trouble… You’d do anything to help him out, right?”

“Well, yeah, if I could I definitely would. Why’d you ask?”

“Just to be sure. Thanks, hyung.” Although Myungsoo was about to take this as his time to leave, the older speaks up again, signalling otherwise.

“Wait!” He exclaimed. “If you want to ‘be sure’, one sentence of advice isn’t enough Soo. I don’t know what exactly is going on, but whatever it is, just remember to reflect before you do something. For example, yeah you’d do anything for someone you love, but of course you have to think about how they would feel. You can’t do something and just say it’s cause you care for them when you haven’t even talked to them about it - or even worse, you do it even when you know they’d hate it. Not every problem needs a risky grand solution.”

“Oh, okay. Thanks again hyung.”

“No worries Soo.”

Myungsoo leaves immediately, yet the brisk walk wasn’t the only reason his heart started racing. 

Did Dongwoo know anything? How would he know? Did he ever slip up?

His worries only continue to build up as he runs to his classroom, trying to ignore all the signs screaming at him.

Fine, he admits, he did not think this through.

It just seemed so right at the moment - to make them realize the problems they create ‘for the fun of it’ left damaging marks to so many. He didn’t want it to go too far with Sungyeol, he didn’t want him to go through something similar.

Perhaps that raises the question - similar to what? Well, he’s heard the rumors. He’s heard what happened in class 11-B last year - it didn’t take that long to get the words from the long grapevine. After asking the few people that were actually willing to tell, even asking Howon if he had any information of what happened before, he concluded that he had a clear enough picture. A picture wherein a considerably approachable and friendly classmate could easily become the unspeakable errand boy of the trio. 

His fear was Seungho choosing to paint the same picture with Sungyeol.

Before he knew it, he did what he could with what he knew—sneaking into their social media and online conversations, especially amongst the three, learning more into what they did. Before he knew it, he learned more than what the grapevine gave him. He couldn’t describe the emotions he felt—was it anger? Hatred? Shock? 

And, before he knew it, he went with creating a fake account, threatening them any way he could. 

What Sungyeol forgot to reconsider was the hobby the two picked up in the start of middle school, and, while he dropped it within weeks, Myungsoo continued to learn about coding. Soon enough he was introduced to social engineering by a bunch of online friends, so it wouldn’t be shocking that he had all the knowledge.

But who was Sungyeol to expect Myungsoo to do this? After all these years?

But who was Sungyeol to understand Myungsoo’s fear? When the latter could barely convince him that working with those damned seniors will only end badly.

Nevertheless, Myungsoo’s doubts on his own fear were definitely there, and, day by day, they would only increase.

Fine, he admits, he doesn’t know why he had to end up like this.

It was as if the plans from the past week were done without his actual consciousness, as if it was not him that did it. But it was him, he brought himself here. What were initially plans he’d mumble to himself whenever he’d see how his best friend’s name would fall out of that disgusting senior’s mouth, became reality.

He doesn’t know how to face it.

He’s scared. He knows he has no right to be, but he’s petrified.

What has he done? 

 

While the perpetrator tries to keep himself from crumbling in the hallways, the victims are found sprawled in their classroom. 

Seungho was waiting for the errand boy to come back with some snacks, while Seungyoon played with the hair of Soojung, whose face was planted flat on her desk. She didn’t know if it was worth it to even open her eyes - after all, time will go fast enough and classes will continue. Seungyoon, with his eyes solely glued on the long dark black strands, focused on braiding her hair so that she’d look a bit more presentable. Meanwhile, Seungho makes sure to show his disgust at the sight with every second that his food had not arrived.

“There he is! Now what took our Junho so long?” Although the teen’s disgust turned to joy at the sight of the bags the errand boy carried, the latter could still feel the usual mockery of Seungho’s tone.

“Go.” The same teen spoke, flicking his hand up quickly to shoo him away. Junho simply nods, and walks to the two to give them their own share from the bags. The same quiet boy holds his sigh as he sees the carton he placed on Soojung’s desk fall.

“Not my desk.”

He continues to place the rest of the items on Seungyoon’s table and picks up the fallen item, placing it into one of the bags. He knew he’d have to get a new carton - hopefully he would find another pristine-conditioned one left at the cafeteria.

“Oh - are you going to throw that away?”

Junho nods.

“But, will you really?”

He nods again, this time slowly, as the situation pricks a realization into him.

“I don’t believe you.”

Although Soojung and Seungyoon don’t utter a single word, nor move an inch from their seats, he knew they were watching.

Seungho laughs, “did you know? Did you know that Siwoo would ask if, instead of throwing it away, if he could just give it to you? You had a great friend, Junho.”

‘Yes, this is the thirty-first time you’ve mentioned it’ Junho’s thoughts stay in his head as he knew his tight throat wouldn’t utter a word.

The errand boy could feel their eyes stare at the distance between his dark blue pants and the carton inside the plastic bag.

Meanwhile, the talkative teen was no longer holding a mischievous smile. 

And Junho knew they watched as the carton broke apart.

 

----------

 

“Eunyoung sunbae!”

The older student stops at the call of her name and turns around, smiling once she recognizes the boy in front of her. “Myungsoo, d’you need anything?”

“Uh actually…” Now that he thought about it, the teen didn’t really think of what to say once he’d find her.

“Oh! Is it about last year? I’m really sorry dude, I really don’t know anything else.”

“No, it’s okay sunbae,” his speech slurs slightly. “I just wanted to say I figured it out and everything - turns out I have nothing to worry with Seungho sunbae.” With a few huffs of laughter, he hopes he’s convinced her.

“Really? What happened?”

“Nothing much, Sungyeol just told me I looked at it wrong and he was right.” A few more chuckles leave for safe measure.

“That’s great then!” She smiles. “Guess I’ll see you in the council meeting then? I’d say good luck next week, but I’m sure you’ll win.”

“Thanks sunbae!” 

 

Myungsoo didn’t know anymore.

He deleted all traces, removed everything that had to do with the trio on his phone and got back to the people he asked previously; hopefully he could get them to think his questions would be too unimportant to ever bring up later on. Most importantly — he tried moving on. 

Of course, that was the most practical thing when Sungyeol finally told him what was happening.

If Myungsoo could describe what he feels everytime he hears about it, it was like he was pulled to a table to play russian roulette. Wherein the table and chairs were built by his anger towards Seungho, and the gun he used was something he impulsively bought for Sungyeol. The bullets, well, they were bullets - his mind couldn’t bother to fathom any more literary devices (as if the ones he just thought of made sense in the first place).

“Myungie?” 

“Hm?” He quickly shakes his thoughts off as he faces his friend.

“You okay?” He nods with a small smile.

“Then why didn’t you get a tray?” Sungyeol asks with a small laugh, pointing at his friend’s empty hands.

Only now did he realize where he was: in the middle of a lunch line, only two steps away from the food itself. Luckily, the taller pulls up another tray from the bottom of his own, passing that to the distracted boy.

“Oh, how lucky you are to have me!” The taller grins.

Hopefully lucky enough to get through this, Myungsoo mentally sighs.

Oh, but he knows how lucky he is to have Sungyeol. Forever, he’s thankful for his little group of friends. Forever, he’s thankful that, out of all the kids that tried approaching him when he kept to himself in the playground, it was Sungjong that pushed him up (and off the swing, to be fair he did hog the seat for a bit too long) and made Myungsoo join him and Sungyeol. 

He remembers the times his and Sungyeol’s friendship basked in half-hearted insults and teases. Growing up, it just seemed like the ‘cool’ friendship trope they saw and wanted, even if Sungjong wouldn’t bother joining in. And it was as fun as it could be for middle schoolers, until it wasn’t.

And when it wasn’t, only then did Myungsoo truly understand how thankful he is to become Sungyeol’s friend.

Sadly, who would’ve thought the same reason would bring Myungsoo to another dilemma today?

As the two walk down the line, the cautious boy slowly distracts himself from his dilemma, focusing more on the current topic: Sungyeol trying to use Duolingo again.

“Honestly, how many more streaks do I have to complete to get the gold icon? How many more days do I have to remember this owl?” He watches as his best friend continues to complain about the app animatedly, easily laughing at all the faces Sungyeol showed.

“Sungyeol!” The two turn to the right, spotting a familiar infamous senior walking up to them. 

“You close with Soojung?”

“Soojung sunbae. And not really, she’s just the nicest to talk to out of the three.”

Myungsoo’s fear heightens drastically the closer Soojung appears and he quickly scans around if the other two tagged along. Luckily, they didn’t.

Unluckily, they were only a few minutes late.

Myungsoo saw Seungyoon and Seungho enter the cafeteria and swore he can’t pretend to stay still any longer. Before Sungyeol ends his conversation with Soojung, he backs away and leaves his tray on the closest platform, whatever it was.

In the middle of his run he stops and hides behind a pillar, looking back at the situation. Sungyeol seemed confused, probably from his friend’s disappearance, but then changed to a blank face at the arrival of the rest of the group. He watches them exit the place together, and could feel his heart beat faster at the possibility he’d be found out by now.

He tries to follow them but, with eyes solely focused on the group, he didn’t realize he was about to bump straight into a boy and his intense examination of one of the drink compartments.

“I’m so sorry,” he immediately says. He picks up the fallen cartons before looking at the guy to ask, “are you okay?” He notices a wet patch on the side of the student’s slacks; oddly enough, he couldn’t find the open container.

“I’m fine, thank you.” He bows and returns to scanning through the rows of drinks. Although Myungsoo felt something off with the student, he takes the response as it is and continues his quick search for his friend.

He could only pray that, somehow, everything will be fine.

 

----------

 

In the midst of the unknown tension growing from the two was another duo in different circumstances. Sunggyu and Woohyun were in their usual place at the usual time, but they were currently taking a short break from preparing their auditions.

“Hyun,” Sunggyu passes a water bottle. “You never told me.”

“Told you?”

“How’d you get scouted? Like, you said that you got them to invite me, but how did the scouting thing even happen?”

“Oh,” Woohyun laughs. “It wasn’t that big of a deal really. I was out with my mama and mom ‘cause we were buying the groceries for the week, and a lady approached me when we were getting donuts. Mama was hesitant, but mom was intrigued when she saw the business card.”

“Not gonna lie, I probably would’ve been like your mom.”

“I can see that,” Woohyun smiles. “Anyway, both of them agreed not to give the lady my number, so they just gave their business cards in return. I really didn’t care at first, but when they first called us to say there’d be auditions this week, mama asked me if I was sure I wouldn’t join. I was really confused - I didn’t really expect my mama to say that, you know - then mom also agreed and I was even more confused. And I was like, ‘what’s going on?’ Turns out they want me to try it out since I had the chance anyways. And, honestly, sounded good enough for me so I agreed. Then I thought maybe you’d wanna try it out and I pulled some strings and here we are.”

Two knocks pause the teens’ conversation.

“Can we crash your practice today?”

The two turned to the door to see three of their friends poking their head through the door opening, looking like a comical trio. Sunggyu laughs and gestures to come in while he and Woohyun start to clean up.

“Didn’t want to stay in the cafeteria?”

“Nope,” Sungjong answered. “No idea where Myungsoo and Yeol went, but we were all gonna eat together. They didn’t come so we just had the food in take-out boxes and went here.”

“It was Jjongie’s idea actually,” Dongwoo points out. “Hoya was gonna sleep at the table if it weren’t for him.”

“I will not deny the truth, and that is very much the truth.” 

“You guys can stay right here, Hyun and I will get back to practice.”

“Damn, food and a show? I feel so fancy.”

“Yes, because you’d only feel fancy now.” Hearing the snarky words Dongwoo mumbles, Hoya quickly pecks the former’s lips shut. Poor Sungjong is left at the side, dramatically protecting his eyes from what just happened.

“Can’t believe my comrades deserted me! Left me here to witness the audacious!” Before the youngest could continue his monologue, the couple engulfs him in a big group hug. And, although he pouts, he simply brings his food closer to where he currently sat, resting his head on Hoya’s shoulder while lazily eating his fruit salad. 

“What’d you guys practice for Saturday?” Dongwoo asks.

“I’m gonna use ‘Only Tears’,” Sunggyu says. “I sang it before at Woohyun’s and he said I should use it, and I kinda agree.”

“I would like to agree after hearing hyung sing,” Sungjong exclaims. 

“Anything for our baby,” Sunggyu laughs. Woohyun walks to the speaker to press play on the connected phone, giving a thumbs up to the former when the instrumental starts.

Soon enough, the room is filled with the beautiful balance of the oldest’s voice and the piano’s melody. Though, since the three were either focused on their food or their friend’s little show, they didn’t seem to notice the softest smile on Woohyun as his head swayed with the song.

Currently, Woohyun took note of the intricacies he would find within Sunggyu’s performance: the hand on his stomach to remind him to breathe from his diaphragm, the long moments of closed eyes to feel that it was only him and the music — what made his heart so warm from it all was knowing these were the products of their practices. 

Since his mind filled itself with the performer, it is no doubt Woohyun would compliment the performer’s voice. From the beginning, he found that the best word to describe Sunggyu’s voice was metallic. He observed that the older naturally had a sharp - almost nasal -  tone that blended well with his light high notes, but was also able to bring in deeper, full belts during the staccato-like pauses in the song’s chorus. Even better, when he’d witness Sunggyu sing at his most comfortable range, he’d hear the mix of the two in a way that he could only associate to the so-called metallic singer. (Whether or not that was the result of being absolutely infatuated with Sunggyu was a question Woohyun decided not to entertain.)

Now, after their many practices, Sunggyu has become more confident in showing that mixed tone Woohyun has been so fond of. And, right now, if there’s anything the latter could be joyful of, it would be seeing his friend share his talent to the rest of their group. If only Sungyeol and Myungsoo weren’t so busy, he thought.

He could tell that the seated trio also held a sense of pride as they watched the teen sing. Sungjong simply gnawed on the plastic fork he was holding as his big eyes sparkled in front of Sunggyu, Dongwoo kept a smile so big that it prominently rounded his cheeks and, although being the only one out of the three that was able to eat while the song played, Howon evidently took his time with every bite, as if he were savoring each part of the performance with every mouthful of food.

When Sunggyu reaches the last note and the piano slowly fades to silence, the room is then filled with enthusiastic applause. The singer couldn’t help but smile at the reactions, with the corners of his lips so high up that it curved his natural crescent eye smile even further. 

How could he describe the joy he currently feels? To Sunggyu, it was like no other; after the long years of wondering whether putting more effort than the bare minimum was worth it or not, finally did he understand why people could choose the former. Even if it may seem to be for a small achievement, it was as if he could see the same light as those around him - it’s amazing how much the recognition could lift him up so much.

What more when I perform in front of experts? Crowds? Sunggyu’s wonders elevate his excitement and continues to do so, especially when he realizes how exhilarated he feels for himself.

 

----------

 

Myungsoo only had ten minutes left before classes would resume. Technically, he’d have five minutes, since running back to his classroom would not be an easy feat. Not when he finally found the four at the far back of the school, chatting in one of the empty art rooms.

Honestly, he wonders if it was even worth it. The closest he could be without being out in the open was standing by the second art room, and his hand was on the door handle in case the four suddenly exit. He tried listening in but, with the distance between the room and his own obnoxious heart beating loudly, it was a lost case. The only times he’d hear clearer conversations were when someone would be closer to the exit, and by then his fear would immediately bring him behind the door he earnestly held on.

However, a different reason brings him inside the second art room this time.

Seeing a figure walking closer to the area, Myungsoo’s mind immediately wondered if he should act like staying in front of the door was his absolute purpose, or if he was going to hide into the room. Luckily, the voices of the people he eavesdropped became more coherent, and he naturally took that as his cue to pull on the handle.

Seven seconds. Seven seconds of him trying to hide his shaky breath as he hears the loud squeak of the door nearby opening. After those seven seconds, Myungsoo could only take a gamble. Does he continue staying here? Does he run to his classroom now? 

He looks at his watch and notes the time, he still has eight minutes left. How? He wonders. To him, there was no way the whole scene only encompassed two minutes of his time. 

Nevertheless, he waits. He waits until all the minutes are up, even if he has to make up some excuse when he walks back to class later. And as he does so, he leans his head back on the wall softly, trying to take a few deep breaths.

Five minutes in and Myungsoo finds himself staring at the ceiling. The same questions fill his brain, but at least his heart is calmer. 

He knows he has to take responsibility, somehow. He knows it’s only right, but how can he? What will happen if he does?

And , out of all the people he could’ve messed with, why did it have to be them?

He should’ve known better, he should’ve trusted Sungyeol could handle things. He shouldn’t have started doubting Sungyeol’s trust in him. For a second, his best friend hiding the fact that he’s been talking to the trio seemed like evidence to back up his worry, but that shattered when Sungyeol ranted to him about it soon after. 

Myungsoo lets these thoughts roam around, all until a few knocks intervene. His head snapped to his left, standing up straight before opening the door.

“Oh, sorry, do you need the room?” He asks the boy in front of him. A second passes and he realizes, this was the same guy he bumped into earlier.

“You’re friends with Sungyeol, right?”

“... Yes?” Where is this going?

“Myungsoo?”

“Yes?”

He simply watches the unknown boy give him a blank stare, followed by a short sigh and a few more words.

“Are you sure you wanna do this?”

“What?”

The mysterious boy gives another sigh. “You better get to class, I’m pretty sure you’re not supposed to be here.”

Myungsoo simply watches him walk away, so he takes a small peak from his place.

“They already went to class. You should too.”

 

Before Junho found Myungsoo in the art room, he was able to hear a snippet of the four’s conversation. It was a few seconds after he saw one of the doors close abruptly; he decided to pick up his pace to the art rooms and, when he stood in front of the room where it happens, he could hear some of the exchanges. However, he couldn’t enter, he could only stand at the side and wait for them to come out.

Maybe it was because of his past, but the three always made sure he wouldn’t be present when they’d have to talk to Sungyeol. He fears what they could possibly be telling the junior right now, but fears even more of the reason why they wouldn’t let him stand at the back like they usually would. Do they think he’d do something if he was with them in the room? Would he be able to find something he could use against them? Or, even worse, were they planning to do the same thing to Sungyeol?

If they did, then was what he noticed happening with Myungsoo part of the plan? Was everything premeditated? Although he didn’t want to think it was possible, he couldn’t pretend as if this wasn’t similar to what happened last year.

But when he hears the conversation inside the art room, his deductions change.

“How’s it possible that you haven’t come up with anything after a week? You think we wouldn’t be skeptical anymore?”

“Seungho, calm down. The kid’s been talking to us about this the whole time. Also, if Seungyoon couldn’t find leads, how would he? No offense, by the way.”

“I still can’t believe the closest lead you could come up with was the kid’s friend. You’ve seen him Yoon, he’s all bark and no bite.”

“I would appreciate it if you’d stop talking about Myungsoo so negatively.”

“Yeesh, sorry you took that so seriously.”

Junho could continue listening to the conversation, but his thoughts were louder now. How could they drop him so quickly? Were they really that confident?

Perhaps it was because the three didn’t find Myungsoo in the situations he did. He couldn’t believe it - the same people that manipulated him and his own best friend in the past, how could they have lost their edge so fast?

Had Junho delved any deeper into the question, maybe he would’ve also realized what made him and Siwoo different from Sungyeol and Myungsoo, and why his (and Myungsoo’s) worry wasn’t as plausible as thought.

Instead, he reminisces over what he’s noticed, making sure he’s a few steps away from the door in case they leave while his head’s up in the clouds of his memory.

A week ago, when he happened to pass by Myungsoo on the way to complete an errand, he didn’t think too much, thinking his classmate could just be a friend of the younger. Then he spots the boy with a few more, all of which he realizes later on also happen to be his classmates last year. Perhaps he was being irrationally suspicious, but he couldn’t help but have a gut feeling it was something else. Model student Myungsoo barely paid attention to his seniors, or at least he never bothered showing interest - the only time you’d see him interact would be with the presence of other student council officers, especially Lee Sungyeol.

At first, he couldn’t accept the idea; it seemed too much to assume the same thing would unfold right in front of his eyes.

But the earnest denial of Sungyeol was something he could not shake off. There was something wrong, and that something is so disgustingly familiar, it practically felt like a kick to his stomach.

What was he going to do?

When he approaches Myungsoo eight minutes later, he sighs.

Junho can’t leave this be.

 

----------

 

Friday. The last day Myungsoo has to walk around in a confusing mix of guilt, confusion, and righteousness around the people that would best remind him of it.

But he knows what he should do. And before the day ends, he decides to take the gamble with his best friend, hoping yesterday’s conclusions will keep him confident enough to continue.

But then there came a familiar senior, Myungsoo notices. Why is he right next to Sungyeol?

The cans in his hands dropped with loud clunks, but that was the least of his worries. As his quick steps bring him closer and closer to the duo he spotted right outside the school, their voices become more audible. And, as if it was perfectly thought out, he hears the same boy ask something loud and clear.

"What if someone you loved did something horrible… But they did that for you?"

 

 

 

 


 

 

Watch me get back to this after a good night's sleep and realize how many mistakes/weird wordings i made (till then, enjoy this extra long chapter :DDD)

This definitely slowed down my writing plans, but hopefully my will somehow returns and I'd be able to get back to you all with a new chapter in two weeks!! 

Also just a heads up - we'll be focusing a lot on Myungyeol, especially Myungsoo, for the next few chapters. And we will be delving into the odd past with class 11-B. The rest of the group will still be there, and they wont be fillers I swear, and most importantly I have a reason for these chaps in the first place I swear skjdjkds -- Also, if it isn't obvious yet, arc 2 will be longer (and i do mean longer) that arc 1. Praying this will the longest arc I'll have to deal with, idk if i can handle more, but i dont trust future me (and if this reaches a ten year anniv.. nah i can promise it wont)

Fun fact! the trajectory of Myungsoo's character was gonna be kinda different. How different and why, you may ask? I'll answer that after we get through the current drama :DD

Anyway, thanks for reading loves! See you in the next update <3