2-3 (Sunggyu's POV)

Perfect Future

"Hi Sir!" We greeted our adviser, immediately taking our seats to whichever was closest to him.

"Hi you two!" He said with a smile. "Now, I won't take too much of your time, I just wanted to hand this out."

Accepting the two papers from the adviser's hand, Woohyun and I took a few seconds to stare at the colorful posters. Dancing silhouettes, microphones and music notes were placed all over, along with the two words 'Join Now!' in bold lettering.

"Woohyun already knows about this, he's participated previously after all - Dongwoo and Howon as well, though they would usually perform a dance number instead. None of the usual members want to join in either since they usually have some other activity to worry about. But, I was thinking, seeing how lively Sunggyu has been for the past few meetings, plus his unique tone will definitely be an eyecatcher, how about you join Woohyun this year?"

Although we have been nodding with every other word the adviser spoke out of politeness, I was caught off guard by the last question. I could only give him a surprised face in response.

"You don't have to do a duet with Woohyun specifically if that's what you're thinking! I know you two prefer different genres! Also, no pressure on this - you've just been the newest member so I wanted to make sure you've heard of it. Just give it some thought, the registration's due the end of next week, okay?"

"Oh, okay," I replied.

"That's all, you may go have your break." He says with a smile. We bowed before taking our leave, but instead of running to the cafeteria, we decided to take our time.

"So, what'd you think of it?" Woohyun finally speaks up.

"Honestly? I'm not really sure... The last time I even stood on stage was for a kid's talent show when I was 8."

"Really?" What's that supoosed to mean? "We were forced to join plays and shows till like, 6th grade!" Ah.

"You poor thing," I chuckled.

"Hm... What if you did something else for the show?"

"Like what?"

"If you don't want to sing for the talent show, you could try something else! Last year, there was this kid that was racing against their sunbaes to see who could solve calc problems - ah! Maybe you could do something with languages?"

"Ah, the language thing," I sigh. Come to think of it, the last time I talked about it was the start of school. "Honestly, I only say I like languages cause that was the subject I got the best marks in. But like - I don't really see myself voluntarily doing something with that in the future."

"Don't you have anything you wanna do?" Oh.

What an interesting twist of fate. Who would've expected your friend to say the same things your mom said yesterday while she was questioning your capabilities?

On that note, I wonder if she'll be asking about the same things when I come home today. Unless, she decides to ignore me because I couldn't give an answer. Or, maybe she'd give up and make papa deal with me.

Maybe I shouldn't have been distracted with all this. I should've been searching unis the moment school started.

"Hyung?" I hear Woohyun call. Realizing how far I was from him, I jogged quickly to catch up.

"Let's eat, hm?"

 

---------------

 

"So I heard you might join the talent show?" Dongwoo asked.

It was History class, and we were put into our own groups to prepare our presentations. Already agreeing to finish our plans and stuff later after school, our group went off to talk about whatever we wanted to. So here Dongwoo and I were, my table right next to his. Luckily, Woohyun was in another group, 'cause I don't feel like possibly having the same conversation as earlier. Howon however, was stuck with a group of people that Dongwoo said, and I quote, are 'the last people he'd want to be with'.

"I don't know, should I?"

"Well that's up to you," he answered. I sighed, I didn't know how the hell I would decide on this.

Like, okay, I'm happy that our adviser believes I'll do well in the show. But all I've done so far is sing NELL's discography with Sungyeol - that or play that game where we make songs on the spot. I'm not even sure if I'll be able to perform in front of so much people.

"Gyu? You okay?" Oh.

"Honestly, I'm just confused."

"Why so?"

"You guys have been doing this thing for years now, right? You might be used to it and everything, but I'm just not. I even told Woohyun earlier the last time I performed was first grade - you know what I did then? I waved a star around with 20 other kids!" I took a short second to breathe in. "But also, it sounds really fun? Singing in front of others, maybe even getting some applause?"

I looked at Dongwoo with a smile, thinking about the possibilities. Being the angel he is, I hear him laugh as scoots closer and wraps an arm around my shoulder. "It's okay. Like you said, it's your first in a long time, so it'll feel weird." He quickly holds my face, squishing my cheeks. "Just don't let it end there, you know?"

"Jang Dongwoo, I don't think acting buddy-buddy with your classmate will help your group presentation, will it?"

"Sorry!" He quickly moves back to how he initially sat, not forgetting to smile at the teacher. Nice save.

"Anyway," he turns back to me, "it's okay to feel afraid. But don't let it stop there, not when you can think of so much more, you know? Plus, we'll be here if you want to hear from the experienced." He emphasized the last word, making me chuckle.

"Okay," I agree.

"Well, we still have ten minutes, so let's think about what you would do if you joined the talent show!"

"Okay! Okay, so - what do you think is better, ballad or rock?" I ask.

Maybe this'll be fun.

 

----------------

 

"Woohyun!" I immediately called after seeing the teacher leave. Dongwoo moved his table back to its original place, while Woohyun quickened his move after my call. It was kind of awkward to just watch him while smiling, so I just swayed side to side to feel busy.

"What's up hyung?" He asks while sitting down. I then turned to face him and tell him everything Dongwoo and I discussed.

"So basically, Dongwoo helped me plan for the talent show and I think I'll actually join! I was kinda afraid at first but planning for it was actually really fun and I think I'm actually excited now? Anyways, I'll join you!" I smiled. "Well, not a duet if you don't want to, but I also don't mind if you don't mind!"

"That's amazing!" He smiled back.

"I was also thinking of choosing a song with Myungsoo, so it can be something I can play the guitar with!"

"Didn't you already choose one before?"

"When?"

"Like - You chased me down with a NELL poster that day?" Maybe he's saying he has a grudge, but I'll pretend he doesn't.

"That's not bad, but they were mainly so I can get used to changing chords," I pouted while remembering the suggested songs. "It'd be nice if I can find something else..."

"How 'bout I help you with that? I literally have a karaoke machine at my house - you can choose a song from there and check the difficulty on the guitar."

"I don't know... do we have anything important to do?"

"How about that presentation we skipped 'cause leader - that's me if you don't remember - said we can do it after school?" Dongwoo said from behind us. We both looked at him as he gave a smile that was more intimidating than cutesy.

"Eh," I pursed my lips. "It's not like it's difficult," I tried reasoning.

"I can't believe you're picking a karaoke machine over me," he sighed. "Just research on the results of the Treaty of Versailles and finish the powerpoint when I send it to you."

"You are a true angel, Jang Dongwoo," I said.

"If you distract him from doing it ha," Dongwoo pointed at Woohyun with a little accusing finger.

"Good afternoon class, would you like a pop quiz on Genetics or shall I just show you your painful marks from last week?"

"I gochu boss." Woohyun makes sure to wink and send a little heart to the other before facing the front again.

"Ma'am, is that a trick question?"

 

-----------------

 

"I already messaged Myungsoo, he said we can drop by anytime," I told Woohyun. Classes were done, and Woohyun and I already said goodbye to the couple (who, for some reason, had to run to the computer lab).

"Great! Also, forgot to tell you, but my parents won't be home till 7. So how 'bout I get some food from that restaurant near his house while you get his guitar."

"Sure."

Fast forward to fifteen minutes later, and we were nearing our destination. I decided to also pass by the restaurant so I could pick something out, it's been a while since I last saw that place after all. Once I picked what I wanted, I left Woohyun to wait on the food while I went to Myungsoo's.

"Hi hyung!" Sungyeol opened the door for me. I greeted him back and made my way into the house, but, before I could ask for the dude that actually lives here, Sungyeol grabbed me by the shoulders and led me upstairs. Maybe Myungsoo already told him I'd be coming?

"Hello Sungjong look Sunggyu hyung's here and he said he brought something special just for you that's why he's here go talk to him -" before I knew it, it was only Sungjong and I sitting on the floor of the bedroom.

Oh, Myungsoo's guitars are here too.

"Uh, what's up?" I asked while opening my bag, hopefully finding something to give.

"You brought me something?"

"Oh yeah, totally, I'm just," I I squinted my eyes while looking through whatever I had.

"You know what, I think I left it at school," I lied, of course. "I'll give it to you tomorrow break, how 'bout that?"

"Okay!" Seeing the smile on Sungjong's face, I feel a bit more relieved. I make sure to make a note to get something nice, and hopefully worth the hide.

As if planned, the two came back into the room after we made our little agreement.

"So, about the guitar," Myungsoo walks over to the three he had at one corner. They were all in guitar cases, and one stood out; it had colorful patches all over, unlike the two that were plain and clean.

"This one has nylon strings, so I think it'll be easier if you start out with this," he held one of the plain cases. "I used this when I started, mainly cause the store owner freaked me out and I didn't feel like hearing my mama tell him about my prophecy into music."

"I bet your mama's very proud."

"That was when she thought I'd only ask for one guitar," he laughed.

"Alright, I guess I practice with that." I held the case when it was close enough and stood up.

"Oh yeah, before I go - Sungyeol, how're you doing?"

"Why?" He gave a look of confusion.

"I heard that guy Seungho was spreading rumors 'cause you're running for PRO," I explained.

"What's his problem?" Myungsoo scoffed. "Are people actually eating it up?"

"It would be pretty stupid to believe the guy that caused someone to transfer schools," Sungjong said. "Too bad there're a lot of stupid people still here- "

"Really?" It was my turn to be confused. "What'd he do?"

"No one really knows, now he's probably bullying another student, same grade."

"I'm pretty sure the ones in 11-B last year saw it happen," Sungyeol added. "But no one spoke."

"That's horrible, how the-"

Before I could curse, my phone disturbed the atmosphere with a ring. I checked, and it was Woohyun, the food's probably done.

"I have to go now," I told the three. "Also, don't worry Sungyeol, you'll prove him wrong."

"Exactly!" Myungsoo interjects. "You'll prove all those s wrong!"

"Imagine not supporting Sungyeol, can't be me," Sungjong adds. Sungyeol laughs, and I take this as a good time to take my leave.

"Alright, see you guys tomorrow!"

 

---------------

 

"Okay, where do we start?"

Currently, we were at Woohyun's living room, specifically at the corner where his family's karaoke machine was kept. I borrowed some clothes 'cause I don't want to be in the uniform any longer, and ended up wearing his dad's old clothes.

"Wait, you're not planning on using one of NELL's songs, are you?"

"Nah, I'd rather do that when I'm better," I said. I was surprised at how different the machine was; I didn't need to hold a large remote thing, nor check a thick book of songs to choose from. Instead, all the information was placed into a tablet that had the genres and other categories.

"My family takes karaoke pretty seriously." Wait, am I allowed to use it? "I don't mean they'll kill you if they see you use it though, it's just that they specifically saved up for this beauty, as my dad would call it."

"That's kinda cute," I complimented.

"It's cute when you don't see our annual competitions - now those, those are simply ruthless." I couldn't help but laugh at his description, trying to picture Woohyun's family in a heated argument of who won said competition.

"Anyway, let's choose the genre. What'd you have in mind?"

"There's this really nice song, although I think I'll just take it as a starter," I said. "Do you know 'Only Tears'?"

"Oh yeah, my cousin cries everytime she sings that. Let's do some vocal exercises just in case," he said.

After a few minutes, we finished warming up, Woohyun went ahead and placed the song, along with a list of songs I've never heard of.

"Don't forget to stand comfortably," he reminds me.

"Yes sir!"
 

Even if I can't give you all, I'm missing you

Even if I make no sense, I'm missing you

And I know you deserve better but I'm missing you

So I push you away

You should find someone who gives you more than just his heart

 

In the small pause before the next verse, I take a quick look behind me.

And as I turn back, the image of him remains, even if I focus on the color coded lyrics.

Woohyun's smile. Cuddled in blankets and pillows, he looked at me with a proud smile.

And so, I sing the next notes with an ounce more confidence.

 


 

Part 1 of my gifts this Christmas Day! Happiest Happy Holidays Everyone <33

(Check out my other gifts if you're into exo or kdrama 'moment at 18' :D)

Okay so - a little moment inside my train of thought - ive noticed that i dont feel energetic when writing cause i always feel i dont like i do enough - so i decided to make my own month challenge and so far the products are these chapters i present to yall :D i can honestly say i feel more energetic when writing and am more motivated to update more often (though it might be smth like an update or two a month, is that okay?)

nevertheless, for those who still stayed, thank you for continuing to support this story, and for the new readers, thank you for finding me! hope yall continue enjoy my work (even if you can see a drastic change in writing between arcs eek - i'm only doing little spell and grammar checks for arc 1 for, then ill do a revamp when im finished w arc 2)

Once again, thank you thank you thank you !! Stay safe and healthy !!