HS: 16

Hot Shot

Tiffany has read many articles from media companies like Des Pitch, Onsen or TopStarNewts, or exposing idols and celebrities going on ‘carpark’ dates but never has she ever imagined being in one. Strangely, her heart begins to thump as she turns into the carpark as stated by Taeyeon. There’s a thrill in doing this. The adrenaline rush of sneaking around without getting caught. Even though she’s not actually doing anything wrong.

She might even get addicted to doing this. No .

After pulling into a parking lot, Tiffany stares out and looks around. There are many cars of different colours and types around. Silver Mercedes. Silver Mercedes. Silv—She spots it. In a lot opposite the row she’s in. Five cars to the right. Holy . This is happening. This is actually happening. She’s about to hop on a real celebrity’s car. She’s going to be doing ‘the secret carpark date’ thing!

Tiffany shivers in excitement as she puts on the baseball cap she packed and pulls it low over her eyes. This is it. She’s going to step out of her car and walk over to Taeyeon’s car like it’s the most natural thing to do in the world. She can do it. No problem.

Door open. Foot 1 touchdown. Foot 2 touchdown. lift. Door close. Press lock button. Walk like a star trying not to be noticed.

Tiffany stops in front of the silver Mercedes and stares. Wait a minute. There’s no one in the car. Where’s Taeyeon? Where’s the short singer? She’s got the wrong car. !

Just as she’s about to panic, her phone vibrates in her pocket.

Kim Taeyeon 
to me

Turn around.

Turning on the heels of her feet, Tiffany finds herself looking at another silver Mercedes. Only then does it occur to her to check the license plate. T YH 8990. Darn it. How embarrassing. Shortae is wearing a face mask and she’s waving her over. Better to hurry and get in before they get caught.

She hops onto the car quickly and for the first few seconds, she doesn’t know what to do with herself. She’s supposed to be the Ho Un Dung fan who is trying to get Shortae into trouble. What is she doing here in Shortae’s car in a carpark?

“Hi, Fany.”

“Er, hi.” Tiffany flashes a smile that doesn’t feel as natural as usual.

“Seatbelt.”

“Oh.” Feeling even more embarrassed now, Tiffany fumbles a little with the seatbelt buckle before it finally clicks into place.

“All good? Let’s go.”

Shortae turns out to be a pretty good driver. Better than herself. She can be a little reckless at times, especially when she’s in a hurry to get somewhere—like the airport—but Shortae appears to be confident every turn of the way and it is a smooth ride overall.

It takes them only fifteen minutes to arrive at their destination—a shop selling fruits and healthy desserts and drinks made out of fruits. Very fruity as promised. Fortunately, there aren’t many people in the shop at this time of the day—just after lunch hour on a weekday—so nobody pays much attention to them. The shop owner doesn’t seem to recognise Shortae either. Then again, decked out in a face mask and glasses to boot, Shortae isn’t as recognisable.

Tiffany settles for a strawberry concoction that elicits an embarrassing moan from her as they walk out of the shop.

“I’m going to assume it’s good, based on the sound you made,” says Shortae.

The face mask hides the too-short-too-pale singer’s expression so Tiffany can’t really tell if the singer is poking fun at her or being serious. “It’s good. Really good. Not too sweet or sour or anything. Just wow.”

“I knew you would like it.”

“Just like you knew I would like you?” Tiffany turns red as soon as the words fly out of .

“Are you unhappy I said that?”

“Not really,” Tiffany replies and ducks into the car quickly.

“I’m not wrong to say you do like me now, am I?” Shortae pulls off her face mask and smiles. It’s a real smile, not mocking or insincere and Tiffany is irritated.

Can Shortae stop being so nice to me? “I don’t know.”

“That means you don’t hate me anymore?”

This much she can admit. “I don’t hate you.” After a moment, she adds, “I never really hated you. I just didn’t like you hanging around Un Dung oppa so much.”

“How about now?”

“Now?”

“Do you hate it when I kiss him in the musical?”

Tiffany shakes her head.

“Really?”

Tiffany nods.

“Are you sure you’re Ho Un Dong’s fan?”

“I was. Now, I’m not so sure.”

“I hope it’s not because of me.”

Tiffany rolls her eyes. “Don’t worry. It’s not.”

Shortae barks a short laugh. “You’re really amusing.”

“What do you mean?”

“I like how honest you are.”

“You’re weird.”

“You’ll think I’m even weirder if I tell you I wanted us to be friends since the day I overheard your conversation in the toilet.”

Tiffany’s eyes widen in surprise. “Yes, I will. I don’t understand why you would want to be friends with someone who wants to bring you down.”

Shortae shrugs. “These things can’t be controlled. There’s something about you that I like. I can’t help it.”

“Won’t your company disapprove of us being friends?”

“My company can’t stop me from making a friend. They can decide who I’m going to work with but I will decide who I’m going to be friends with.”

“So this is for real, huh. We’re really going to be friends?”

“Yes, this is real. If you’re willing, of course.”

Tiffany finds herself smiling. “I’m willing.”

Shortae sticks out her pinkie and waggles it. “Friends?”

Hooking their pinkies together, Tiffany grins and says, “Friends.”

[o]

CNQWH9TUYAA_1Bl[1]