1/1

and now i see you
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

thanks Chanbaek-oh for beta-ing this! i’m sorry you had to waste your time for me huhuhu. ily! <3

 

 

 

 

 

 

To many people, spring means a season full of clichés like bees buzzing, birds singing, and—not forgetting—people falling madly in love. It seems like a universal agreement that spring is made for walking hand-in-hand with your lover while watching the sunset or just cuddling up with them even though it is warm already. To put it simply, spring is the best time to feel that love is truly in the air.

But to Chanyeol, spring means going through tight schedules with popular models and sleepless nights to edit photos; to Chanyeol, spring means putting aside his desire to capture the nature that makes his bank account smile wider.

Taking a sip of his daily dose of hot Americano from Jongdae’s coffee shop, he slings his camera bag over his shoulder and starts his undoubtedly hectic day.






 

 

Park Chanyeol is one of the best professional photographers South Korea has to offer. Having a proportional body like a model and a face almost every guy is so envious of, Chanyeol has obviously become a recent hot topic in his country as well. After all, attractive photographers who are successful at such a young age only exist in small numbers.

Chanyeol’s father is a veteran in the photography world, so it is no surprise that he has been familiar with a camera and its lenses ever since elementary school. Nikon D7000 was the very first weapon he had, it had been given to him by his father on his eleventh birthday and he was extremely ecstatic that day, wasting his memory card to photograph everything and anything around him, including his lovely ferret.

What had started as a mere hobby became something more promising in life as his work had finally gotten publicly acknowledged when participating and becoming the winner of some worldwide photography competition in his second year of high school at the age of seventeen. The photo he submitted was under the category of outdoor scenes, taken with his brand new Canon 5D Mark III when he was on a Christmas vacation with his older sister, Yoora, in Romania. It was a photo of white frost over a village they were staying in, the night sky almost starless, captured simply to be a remembrance of their vacation. He knew a simple touch up could make a huge difference, but he did not know that it could lead his spontaneously taken piece of art to become the winner of a photo competition, let alone a worldwide one.

To show his proudness, his father helped him get new lenses, flashes, bags, filters, plus the latest software for editing photos and Chanyeol thought he could not be happier. Since then, the lanky boy has been dedicating all his time to photography.






 

 

Five months after being enrolled to Seoul Institute of the Arts, Chanyeol eventually realized that he tended to capture breathtaking panoramic photos instead of emotions on people’s faces. Sure, sometimes he accepted the offers to photograph people and moments, but the feeling of seeing the look on their faces when they saw their own portrait and actually admired it could not beat the feeling when he was out under the sun or the starry night sky and managed to capture beautiful sights created by the nature itself.

On his graduation day, he told Jongdae, his choco-maniac best friend, that he might die tom chasing rare moments this earth had to offer. The other boy just laughed it off and sincerely wished him good luck.






 

 

He loves taking photos of nature—of skies and stars, of flowers and bees, of anything that is naturally mesmerizing. He loves taking photos of nature, simply because it does not have to fake anything to look beautiful, unlike some people in this universe.

He has fun working with different people and capturing unrepeatable moments so that they will not be forgotten—the big sum of money in the end of each deal is just a plus point, but his heart always yearns for the beauty of the nature.






 

 

Spring has left, and Chanyeol cannot be more delighted in bidding the lovely season goodbye and greeting his favorite season, summer. Sure, he still has lots of work in this warmest season, but at least he does not have to go through the torture of seeing sickeningly sweet couples through his lenses when he takes photos of a landscape. His ears have heard enough questions about his non-existent love life from his family, so he does not need to always be reminded how pathetic he is in the romance field.

It is not like he alienates himself from the world and just focuses in photography. He actually socializes pretty well, sometimes not even thinking twice about attending a party if invited as long as it does not mess with his schedules—heck, he has never refused to come to the blind dates set up by Yoora and Jongdae, not even once.

Unfortunately, his heart has yet to show the symptoms of falling in love.

But it seems like he spoke too fast.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Fully booked today, Park?” Jongdae asks, claiming the seat across Chanyeol after delivering the steaming hot coffee to the photographer. He pulls out his phone from his pocket to use the screen as a mirror to fix his newly permed hair. “Or are you just going to hunt photos to satisfy your thirst? Where is your spot today? Banpo Hangang Park?”

Chanyeol does not even spare his best friend a glance since he is busy checking the details of the photos he took a few days ago. Four seconds later, he lifts the cup to his lips and carefully sips his favorite morning drink. “No, yes, and yes.”

The slightly younger male does not ask more as he understands that if the answer for the previous question is short, then it means Chanyeol is not really in the mood to talk. So for now, he just silently lets the other boy date his camera.

Hearing the sudden chimes of the bell above the door, Jongdae quickly excuses himself to get his new customer, not forgetting to remind his best friend that he would like to see his newly taken photos tonight.

Chanyeol is too deep in examining his photos that the moment he accidentally sees it is almost ten, he hurriedly gathers his things and just grabs the strap of his camera, almost bumping into an old man on his way out. He needs—he has to reach Banpo Hangang Park as soon as possible. No, he surely cannot let this chance pass. On a sunny day like this, the amount of light from the sun is just perfect around this hour that he will only need little to no editing to create a masterpiece.

Much to his luck, it does not take long for him to arrive at the said park since Jongdae’s coffee shop is located only a couple of blocks away. The park is not that crowded at this hour, aside from the groups of young adults who seem to be in need of a space to relax before hustling through their daily routines. They all look so cheerful in their colorful outfits, fitting the theme that summer never fails to carry out.

Not wanting to waste another minute, Chanyeol quickly puts down all his belongings and gets his camera ready, attaching his trusted polarizing filter in front of his lens and rotating it until the effect in the viewfinder is seen. Biting his lip in full concentration, he then adjusts its shutter speed and aperture and everything needed to support him in getting the best shots. His main target for today is the blue sky with aesthetically scattered clouds, so the setting of his camera should be faultless to avoid overexposure. With the help of his polarizing filter, he hopes to make the fluffy white clouds pop from the sky.

Seven shots later, Chanyeol takes the strap of his camera off his neck and shields the LCD monitor with his free hand to check his newly taken photos. His lips spread in a proud smile upon seeing that those seven photos only have little flaws that do not even lessen their beauty. Perfecto.

As he readjusts the setting to get more photos with different effects, he thinks that nothing can be more breathtaking than the view of Seoul’s clear sky today in which he has the honor to capture. That is until he lifts his head up in preparation to take another shot.

Chanyeol is in complete awe. Standing a few meters in front of him is a petite boy, probably a head shorter than him, with a face as fresh and radiant as nature, the small smile adorning his lips as beautiful as the sky today, and his eyes shining even brighter than the stars. For the first time ever, Chanyeol thinks that all his photographs are a waste. They are nothing compared to this person.

As the young photographer fixes the focus of his camera, zooming in on the boy, he cannot help wondering how a person can be this perfect without the help of studio lighting and layers of makeup. He has involved himself in countless photo shoots with gorgeous looking models, yet he has never seen anyone this beautiful.

His heart is uncontrollably thumping hard against his chest as he sees the boy slowly walking to his direction—smile still shining, eyes seeming to be focused on Chanyeol through the lens. Am I experiencing a heart attack? Keeping that question at bay, he does not think twice to continuously press the shutter button. Overexposure be damned, this is as rare as capturing the mind-blowing Northern Outburst.

That cute button nose, those kissable pink lips—

Everything is perfect until that boy bumps against him, waking Chanyeol up from his fantasy.

Suddenly, he hears nothing but the sound of his camera crashing on the hard concrete ground with that boy falling closely behind, his pitch black hair covering his eyes. The photographer hears the boy groaning in pain. “Are you okay?”

“I—I’m sorry. I’m r—really sorry. I didn’t mean to—ah, I’m so so sorry,” the boy rambles, head still hanging low as he repetitively bows.

Chanyeol feels a pang of guilt as he holds the other’s arm and waist to lift him up. The accident was not fully this boy’s fault in his opinion. With furrowed brows and some unexplainable worry in his heart, he checks the boy for injuries. “Are you okay? Are you hurt?”

“I—I’m okay. I’m really sorry. That was so careless of me,” that boy apologizes again, finally lifting his head up.

With his hand still holding that boy’s arm, Chanyeol looks at him—no, he openly stares. They are so close right now and he uses this chance to search the shorter boy’s eyes.

In a heartbeat, Chanyeol is suddenly scared. He can feel his heart skipping a few beats as the impact of his sudden change of emotions.

No. It cannot be.

“I’m sorry, but can you help me find my cane, mister? I—I think it’s somewhere near where I fell off,” that boy flashes him a sheepish smile as he tries to move his feet as if searching for something.

Chanyeol looks down and sees the said cane close to his broken camera. Gulping, he forces his shaking hand to reach for the cane. No. I’m sure he is not.

“Did you find it?” that boy still has his eyes looking straight in front of him, not even glancing at Chanyeol once despite their close proximity. Usually, people will keep their stares on the successful photographer until he feels uncomfortable and walks away; it is different with this boy.

Chanyeol eventually finds his voice as he mutters a small yes, reaching for that boy’s hand, which is surprisingly very soft to the extent that he has this sudden urge to just hold it forever, and handing the handle of the cane to him. His breath hitches as he witnesses how that boy’s face lights up again, his million watt smile suddenly back in his face.

It is inevitable that his heart flutters at the sight before him.

“Thank you so much! This is my eyes right here,” that boy slightly tilts his face up and cutely grins at his general direction, eyes still focused on nothingness. “Have a good day ahead, mister!”

In his shocked state, Chanyeol does nothing when that blind boy leaves him in the middle of the park. How could he not notice the presence of that cane when he first looked at that boy?






 

 

“How am I supposed to help you find the blind boy you met yesterday when you have no information about him?” Yoora rolls her eyes as she digs in her peach colored handbag to find the keycard to open their apartment door, her little brother looking like a kicked puppy behind her. “You do not even know his name.”

“Can we just—I don’t know—like, report to the police for a missing family member or something? If I remember correctly, your ex is a police officer, no? I swear I can perfectly describe his looks at them so face reconstruction is going to be easy, noona. I just…”

“You just…?”

“…I just want to meet that boy again. I want to know him better. I have no idea what is happening to me but I just… I just… ugh how do I explain this feeling? There’s just something… something that… ugh, noona, help!”

After the automatic lock of the door clicks open, Yoora turns around and looks up to study her little brother’s desperate eyes. It takes her about ten seconds to conclude— “Wow.”

“Huh?”

“What has he done to make you like this, hm?” the pretty news anchor starts walking into their luxurious apartment. “The Park Chanyeol I know is a cool young man who is only greatly interested in the beauty of nature, not a person.”

Frustrated to make his older sister understand what he is feeling right now, Chanyeol just taps his phone gallery and shows her a picture of that blind boy he has transferred yesterday. “This. Look at this, noona. There’s just something about him that pulled me in when I first saw him. Come on, don’t tell me you cannot see how… how glowing he—”

“Channie,” with a meaningful smile on her face, Yoora gives the device back to him and caresses his cheek lovingly. “Aww, my baby brother has fallen in love.”

“What?!”






 

 

Jongdae’s boisterous laugh is all Chanyeol hears after explaining to the former the same matter he whined to his older sister two days ago.

“What’s so funny?” he sulks in his seat, crossing his arms on his chest.

The coffee shop owner wipes his imaginary tears away. “You whining about a stranger like this is funny, Park.”

Chanyeol heaves out a sigh and messes up his crimson red hair in frustration, turning his head to look at the cars passing by outside. His best friend’s answer is not helping at all.

Will faith let him run into that boy ever again?






 

 

It takes Chanyeol nineteen days—yes, he counted—to see that blind boy again.

An annoyed groan leaves his throat as soon as he sees that cars are already lining up the parking area in front of Jongdae’s coffee shop. It is almost midnight, so he was not really expecting the small shops around his best friend’s coffee shop to still be actively running like this.

Having no other choice, he drives further to find a parking spot.

Once he finds it, he grabs his phone and wallet before getting out of his car, leaving his photography equipment inside. He had two photoshoots today where he had to deal with skittish rookie models, and he only knows one thing that can fix his mood today—Jongdae’s iced Americano.  Ranting to Jongdae about how nature is easier to deal with than the people in the photography field is definitely not in the list of ways to lift up his mood, since his best friend himself is more of a people person, not really an admirer of what he worships the most.

Too occupied with his thoughts, he cannot help but let out a yelp as his body collides with something—or rather upon full realization, someone. Thanks to his quick reflex, he manages to catch the waist of the falling person before him. His planned I am sorrys, however, suddenly get stuck in his throat when he finally gets the chance to look at the victim of his recklessness.

His heart leaps into his mouth in surprise. It is him!

“I—I’m sorry,” the blind boy turns his body a bit to his direction and bows twice, his hand gripping his cane tight. “You must have been in a hurry. I’m sorry for blocking your way. I’m really sorry.”

“Where are you going so late at night like this?” it is not the best question to be asked in a situation like this, Chanyeol knows, especially with the fact that they are practically strangers and he still has his hands on the other’s feminine hips, but he cannot help it.

“Huh?”

“Where are you going so late at night like this?”

“I—I’m lost. I’m new to this town and I—I wanted to be familiar with this area, b—but I think a blind boy like me shouldn’t have wandered around alone.”

There is a hint of fear in the boy’s voice and Chanyeol does not understand if it is due to his panic of meeting a stranger like him or just his pure anxiety of being lost in the midnight. But one thing for sure, something tugs his heartstrings at the way the boy mentioned his disability.

“I’m the person you bumped into almost three weeks ago. In the park. I helped you find your cane and you called me mister. Do you remember?”

That boy looks thoughtful for a moment before his lips stretch wide in a smile and his body visibly relaxes. Right at this moment, Chanyeol thinks he knows what is more interesting to see than the majestic crescent moon in the starless sky—this boy’s eye smile. “I do, mister!”

“My name is Chanyeol,” Chanyeol clears his throat and lets go of that boy’s waist to wrap his right hand around the latter’s free hand. “And I’m still twenty seven, not even that old to be called mister.”

“I’m Baekhyun. Byun Baekhyun. I’m twenty two!”

The photographer swears he will never get enough of seeing Baekhyun’s blinding smile.

“Okay, well Baekhyun, where do you live? I can drive you there,” Chanyeol offers while unconsciously giving a slight squeeze to the dainty hand, silently praying that the younger boy will accept it without much thinking.

The boy in question only gnaws at his lip, probably going through the pros and cons of sharing his address with a stranger.

“It’s—” Chanyeol glances at his wristwatch to check the time. “past midnight already, Baekhyun. No transportation system will be available at this hour except for a taxi, but I need to remind you that taxis in Seoul are not completely safe.” Definitely not safe for you, someone who looks so extremely adorable in your baby pink tee and denim shorts like this.

The blind boy still remains silent.

“Well, okay, if you don’t want—”

“Do you know that old apartment complex in Pungnap 1-dong, Chanyeol-sshi?”

“—me to—yes? You live there?”

Baekhyun nods.

“Let me just take my much needed intake of coffee at my best friend’s coffee shop then I’ll drive you home,” Chanyeol does not even attempt to let go of Baekhyun’s hand as he slowly makes his way to Jongdae’s place, making the other boy stumble a bit at the sudden move since he thought he would be walking with the help of his cane.

The red haired male does not even see the way Baekhyun’s lips curve in a thankful smile at his action.

When he shows up at the counter with Baekhyun’s hand still in his, ordering the last drink before Jongdae closes his coffee shop, his best friend does something Chanyeol has never had the chance to witness before.

Jongdae lets out a high-pitched squeal of happiness and dashes around the counter to hug Baekhyun.






 

 

Two weeks into his newfound friendship with Baekhyun, Chanyeol can safely say that he wants to change his opinion on people with disabilities. He thought that blind people can only do limited activities, but it turns out that they can do many things just like normal people do—they just need to practice it often or do it in their own ways. He thought that visually impaired people would prefer to live in their own isolated bubble, considering that they are different than most, but befriending Baekhyun has proven him wrong.

The shorter boy is surprisingly friendly; he is always smiling and never gets offended if someone asks him about his disability—or maybe if he does, he does not show it. Even after Jongdae’s unsuspected bear-hug when those two first met, he has never asked why the coffee shop owner did that and just talks to him like nothing ever happened, as if they usually hang out together.

In the span of two weeks, Chanyeol is able to know a lot about Baekhyun, since the latter is fairly easy to talk to. He knows that Baekhyun was born blind in Bucheon, that Baekhyun has an older brother named Baekbeom who is luckier than him since he has two perfectly working eyes, and that Baekhyun only lives with his mother and Baekbeom because his father died from cancer four years ago. He knows that Baekhyun can read braille, that Baekhyun can sing pretty well, and that Baekhyun actually has trust issues with people yet somehow there is just something about Chanyeol that assures him everything would be okay.

In return, the older male tells Baekhyun about his occupation, about his love for nature, and about his pet peeves. He tells the blind boy how he fell in love with photography, how

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter