Chapter 2

The Past is Written, The Ink is Dry.

A/N: Merry Christmas! :)

Warning: Girl!(metamorphmagus)Sungyeol ahead.


“This is all your fault. My father will definitely hear about this.”

Sunggyu resisted the urge to smirk as he glanced over Howon beside him, hair plastered on his forehead, glasses fogged up and robes still dripping wet after Hagrid grabbed him from the lake. Since then, the kid had been grumbling angrily and blaming every creature that ever existed in the universe, more especially that ‘filthy little muggleborn’ Nam Woohyun and occasionally Kim Sunggyu because he’s the one who persuaded Howon into sitting beside Woohyun after all.

Sunggyu hummed nonchalantly, eyes trailing over Woohyun who seemed terrified of what he just did, though there was still a glint of mischief somewhere within his small eyes. A shiver of fright came over Sunggyu and he quickly dismissed the thought away as they finally rounded the corner that would lead them towards the Entrance Hall. The sight of a younger Professor Bell somehow lifted his spirits up and Sunggyu realized that yes, he’s going through this sorting once more and the sooner he gets sorted in Slytherin, the faster he can get back to his own time

“Welcome to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, in a few mi– oh my, what happened to you dear?” Professor Bell’s usually perky voice suddenly turned down as she caught a glimpse of a thoroughly soaked Lee Howon. Sunggyu watched how Howon glared at Woohyun who shrank down visibly, and then Professor Bell was flicking her wand and Howon went as dry as his humor can be. An amused smile surfaced on Sunggyu’s face as he watched how Howon blushed when Professor Bell smiled at him as she straightened his robes and brushed some stray hair off his forehead.

Interesting. Sunggyu wonders if Howon have always had a thing for Professor Bell, or if this was a product of him altering the past. He likes to think it’s the former.

“There, all done. So as I was saying, the opening feast will start in a few minutes, and your sorting ceremony will follow. For those of you who aren’t familiar, there are four houses where in you could be sorted according to your traits. They are Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, Gryffindor and Slytherin and you stay with your house for the rest of your duration in Hogwarts. Now if you would all please follow me so we could start.”

Professor Bell flashed another smile at them and Sunggyu realized the reason why she’s very much loved by the students, heck even he loved this professor from his freshman year until yesterday when he was a professor himself.

Soon enough they were ushered inside the Great Hall with bright lights and candles floating on the ceiling along with the welcoming and homey aura that it always has, and the astonished faces of his fellow first year students brought nostalgia to Sunggyu. Was he like this too back then? And then he caught glimpse of his sister sitting at the Slytherin table and mouthed something that painfully looked like Hufflepuff and Sunggyu glared at her so hard he thought his sister flinched a bit.

“You don’t look astonished, have you been here before?” Howon hissed beside him and Sunggyu’s heart skipped a beat. Was he that obvious?

“No. But you should be used to going to grand balls and banquets much grander than this place. You are, after all, a pureblood, are you not?” Sunggyu flashed a smirk just as they halted in front of the hall, opposite the staff table and a few feet away from the Sorting Hat that was lounged on a stool. Now if Professor Bell would just call him first. Headmistress McGonagall stood and welcomed the students for another year, along with some announcements and what nots. It was soon followed by the Sorting Hat’s annual song about the houses and its desired traits followed by the halfhearted round of applause from the students. At least this song was a bit shorter compared to that one when he was in his seventh year.

“I shall call you one by one, place the hat on your head to determine which house you belong to.” The words that Professor Bell had said was barely heard from the anxious buzz that echoed through the sea of first years that surrounded Sunggyu. Beside him, Howon was fairly confident that he would be sorted in Slytherin, so was Sunggyu but then there was a sudden nagging feeling that arose inside him. Then Professor Bell was calling out names, one of which was the kid sitting beside him on the boat and it hit him just a bit too late to realize that it was Jang Dongwoo.

Puberty does wonders, Sunggyu comprehended.

As predicted, Dongwoo was sorted in Hufflepuff to which the Hufflepuff table erupted in cheers as they gathered their first student of the night. And then the routine continued on with Sunggyu trying to remember which houses did most of the people went into – Kim Jonghyun and Lee Jinki in Ravenclaw, Kim Kibum in Hufflepuff and then there’s Howon who’s the first student to be sorted in Slytherin with the Sorting Hat barely touching his head.

Typical Pureblood Asshat.

And then there was Nam Woohyun who had the same fate as Howon, hat barely touching his head before it declared that he was in Gryffindor.

Typical Muggleborn Prat.

“Kim Sunggyu.” Professor Bell called out as soon as Woohyun jumped down the stool and excitedly ran towards the cheering Gryffindor table. Sunggyu then walked forward, ignoring how clammy his hands had become as he sat on the stool. Professor Bell then lowered the hat on his head and a short span of quietness invaded Sunggyu’s mind.

I have sorted you before, have I not?

Sunggyu blinked as he looked up and felt the Sorting Hat wiggling on top of his head. He should have anticipated that the Sorting Hat would have known he was already sorted.

Well, the thing is…

Do you doubt my judgement boy? Is this why you’re here again, trying to trick me into sorting you into another house?

Of course not! Does it look like I want to be here again?

 Come to think of it, you are not from this period. Playing with time has its consequences, young one.

Can you just place me in Slytherin so we can get this over with?

Oh, but who says I’m going to sort you into Slytherin again?

Well, e. At that point, everyone seemed to have their eyes on Sunggyu. Great, now it looks like he’s a hatstall.

I must admit that I am quite…undecided, because yes there’s the cunningness and drive that’s unbreakable once you set your goals. But it’s buried deep within and overpowered by something else…

And what, pray tell, is this something else?

You haven’t been cunning and sly lately have you? I could sense fair judgement, patience and level headedness as your most used up traits. But then there’s a somewhat manipulative act that you just did, still it is too weak to consider. Could it be that I am wrong?

Well you insist that you’re never wrong with your sorting ways, why doubt now?

Technically, young boy, it is your first time getting sorted. Whichever decision that I have done in your own time doesn’t exist here. It’s the price you’ve got to pay for meddling with time. So, shall I sort you into a house that approves fair judgement on top of everything?

Oh, don’t you ing dare put me in Hufflepuff!

But why not? There’s nothing wrong with being a pureblood Hufflepuff now, is there?

I swear to Salazar Slytherin, if you put me on Hufflepuff I will set you on fire, chop you into pieces and toss you to the Black Lake for the Giant Squid and Merpeople to feed onto. You should know I have ways of doing and getting what I wan–

SLYTHERIN!

It took a few seconds to register that the Sorting Hat had already announced his decision, even the Slytherin table was stunned before hesitant cheers erupted. Sunggyu found himself smirking as he hopped off the stool – has he always been this short? – and took one last glare at the Sorting Hat before walking towards the Slytherin table just as Professor Bell called out the next student.

In the midst of shaking hands and getting his back clapped on by welcoming Slytherin students, Sunggyu caught the eyes of his sister who was clearly disappointed and he shrugged mockingly before smirking. She didn’t have to know that the Sorting Hat nearly placed him on Hufflepuff, what matters most is that she was wrong.

“Thirty seconds shy of becoming a true hatstall.” Howon said as Sunggyu sat beside him on the long table before the former sneered. “So which house did the Sorting Hat foolishly thought you’d equally qualify into? Gryffindor? Or worse, was it in Hufflepuff?”

Sunggyu swallowed hard before he turned to Howon with a small, albeit forced, smirk.

“Ravenclaw. The Sorting Hat seemed to think I use my brain more than half the times you do.” Howon’s smirk faltered as Sunggyu’s widened, despite the post-traumatic experience of getting sorted once more.

And Sunggyu decides Howon doesn’t have to know he’s almost right with his assumption either.


“Sometimes I hate you, Howon.” Sunggyu muttered as he rummaged his bag for his telescope for the umpteenth time while the staircase leading to the Astronomy Tower loomed over them. Howon however just chuckled beside him as they hurriedly trotted along the dimmed hallway together with their other classmates.

“Well it’s not my fault you place your things everywhere, Sunggyu. You know it’s Astronomy class tonight and yet you let your telescope lying around the dungeons.” Howon drawled as they went up the dark staircase. Sunggyu let his eyes glare at the poking telescope of the person in front of him – which happened to be the annoying Kim Hyuna – as the offending item was dangerously close to falling out of the bag. He could clearly hear the girl blabbering about her new telescope that was imported from some shop in a country Sunggyu never bothered to know. It only irked his nerves more.

“You could’ve at least kept it with you when you saw it lying around, you bastard.” When Sunggyu’s pudgy hand failed to locate the telescope inside his sling bag, he grabbed the next thing his hand brushed onto (which happened to be an empty bottle of ink) and was about to hurl it towards Howon who’s chuckling when somebody slid next to Sunggyu.

“You don’t have a telescope?”

And lo and behold, it’s Nam Woohyun.

“What’s it to you, Nam?” Howon sneered and Woohyun returned the favor by smirking at him.

“Well it just so happened that I have a spare one here.” And indeed Woohyun has, and he’s already forcing it onto Sunggyu’s hand.

“B-but…”

“It’s okay. You can have it. See ya!” And then Woohyun was dashing up the remaining steps up the tower leaving Sunggyu and Howon bewildered with the uncharacteristically generosity of Woohyun.

“Well, it looks like you’re lucky tonight. That, or Nam Woohyun fancy the pants off of you.”

Oh, if only Sunggyu knew.

 

Sunggyu lurched up and panted hard as he felt cold sweat trickled down his back and temple. Of all the things he could dream of, why does it have to be that prank from second year? As soon as his heart finally calmed down, he let his eyes adjust on the dimmed lights of the Slytherin dungeon and saw that the dorm he’s in now was different from the one he slept in the last night and that he’s wearing his Slytherin uniform sans the robes.

So it seemed like his attempt on trying to go back to his own time failed, because clearly he’s still a student and he just woke up on his dorm on the Slytherin dungeons. (Though he just endlessly rubbed and played with the ring while thinking of the pranks that Nam Woohyun did to him and improvising the Latin words that sounded similar to the original incantation.) Then again, something wasn’t right since he was sure he slept at the small dormitories reserved for the first years. And he was sure he washed up last night and changed into a pair of clean pajamas.

The door on the corner of the room suddenly opened and in came Howon in all his Slytherin glory – sans the awkward glasses.

Okay, Sunggyu’s definitely not a first year anymore, because Howon got rid of the annoying glasses after their first year. At least Sunggyu wouldn’t have to endure the whole 7 years of his school life, no?

“Well? What are you waiting for, a horde of unicorns to you to the Astronomy Tower?” Howon drawled as he leaned against the doorframe, an annoyed expression resting on his already annoyed face. A shiver of fright ran up Sunggyu’s spine as his dream replayed in his mind. Bloody hell, did he just got transported to that time when he got a black eye because of Woohyun’s Boxing Telescope prank?

Oh no. No, no, no, no.

Sunggyu quickly scrambled up towards his bag (which was conveniently resting at the foot of his bed) and rummaged inside it only to find no telescope inside. He frantically looked around the room, making Howon more annoyed if the clicks of his tongue against the roof of his mouth were to indicate but Sunggyu paid him no heed. He needed to find his goddamned telescope before class starts–

“What the hell are you looking for? There’s only ten minutes left before Astronomy Class.”

e.

“Telescope. Have you seen mine?” Sunggyu already knew Howon’s answer, but it wouldn’t hurt to try, as he flipped the blankets and looked under the beds but there are no signs of his telescope.

“No. Merlin, you of all people should know that things unattended here vanish suspiciously.” Howon drawled and it only irked Sunggyu more. He has less than ten minutes to think of a way to evade this prank. Using Accio would only stir suspicions for it was an advanced charm, going up late to class would mean docked points and clearly skipping the class isn’t the ideal yet the only best option he has.

Well, if only Howon didn’t drag him out of the room.

“I’m pretty sure Professor Sinistra won’t berate you that much for losing your telescope. Who knows, she might lend you one of those…rustic telescopes on her shelf.” They barely made it out of the dungeons within two minutes alongside fellow second years who were already making their way towards the tower. Cold sweat started to roll down Sunggyu’s back as he and his housemates went up the stairs that would lead them out of the dungeons.

“Sometimes I hate you, Howon.” Sunggyu muttered as he rummaged his bag for his telescope for the umpteenth time while the staircase leading to the Astronomy Tower looming over them. Howon however just chuckled beside him as they hurriedly trotted along the dimmed hallway together with their other classmates. A rush of déjà vu overcame Sunggyu as the sight of the stair case getting closer with every step he took.

“Well it’s not my fault you place your things everywhere, Sunggyu. You know it’s Astronomy class tonight and yet you let your telescope lying around the dungeons.”

And then Sunggyu’s eyes landed on the almost falling telescope in front of him follow by the shrill and annoying voice of Hyuna loudly chatting with her friends. His mind suddenly went haywire as the telescope glinted under the poor lights of the dimmed hallway. Bloody hell, why hadn’t he thought of this before?

The shrill and nasal voice of Hyuna bounced along the walls, boasting of her newly bought and delivered telescope (though Sunggyu couldn’t see how it differed from the usual telescopes that were sold on Diagon Alley and Hogsmeade) and it motivated Sunggyu more. A side glance and Sunggyu saw Howon not paying any attention to him. Perfect chance.

“Here, let me show it to you guys.”

e, e, e.

Hyuna makes a move, her bag swinging along her movements and before he knows it, Sunggyu managed to snatch the telescope just in time and stealthily stuffing it inside his bag. He ignored the hard hammering of his heart as Hyuna frantically looked for her telescope and shrieked like a banshee just in time that the Gryffindors arrived.

“But it was just here!” Sunggyu took a step back as Hyuna rummaged through her bag. He could feel Howon’s eyes staring holes at him but he ignored him as he watched Woohyun, in all his smiling glory, approached Hyuna with eyes twinkling in mischief.

“You don’t have a telescope?”

In Sunggyu’s version of the story, he would have been dumbfounded – a little bit suspicious even – that a muggleborn Gryffindor would approach any snotty Slytherin. Even more so when said muggleborn was handing (read: forcing) a suspiciously looking telescope to the unwitting Slytherin. But this wasn’t Sunggyu’s version of being the victim of the prank.

He almost gagged when he saw how Hyuna swooned and looked at Woohyun like he was a knight in shining armor (more like the pathetic Sir Cadogan in Sunggyu’s opinion) as he gave the girl an innocent looking telescope. Said (stupid) girl accepted the telescope and watched Woohyun ascending up the stairs with his group of chuckling Gryffindor friends then later on squealing with her own set of stupid friends. Oh, Sunggyu can’t wait to see when Hyuna finds out how Nam Woohyun isn’t a knight in shining armor at the very least.

“Are you girls done squealing your knickers yet?” Howon drawled, annoyance present in his tone since Hyuna and her friends were blocking the entrance to the staircase. Hyuna turned towards Howon with a glare and spat something Sunggyu couldn’t make out because it all started sinking inside his mind. He (barely) escaped the second year prank from Nam Woohyun. He didn’t even notice that he was already walking past the girls and walking beside Howon with his usual face. His insides shook with excitement and satisfaction and triumph that he almost slipped when he took a step up the stairs. He glanced back at Hyuna who was still crowding down the foot of the steps and he swore he didn’t know what came over him when he called out to the girl (but really, he thinks it’s the Hufflepuff trait again, curse the Sorting Hat).

“Hey Hyuna.”

Hyuna turned towards Sunggyu with a blank expression (how the hell does she switch to different expressions so fast?), eyebrow arched and eyes half glaring.

“What?”

Sunggyu found himself smirking, a rare occurrence since he became a professor, before tilting his head towards the telescope.

“I wouldn’t use that if I were you.” And then he turned, almost laughing at the comments that Hyuna’s friends tell her to comfort the pissed off girl (“Hey, he’s just jealous.” “Come on, that’s Nam Woohyun’s gift for you.” “At least you got a cute boy giving you something!”). Oh, if they only knew.

“What was that all about?” Sunggyu almost forgot Howon beside him. His resting face was on but his eyes were twinkling with something creepy.

“What was what all about?”

“You took Hyuna’s telescope didn’t you?”

Sunggyu didn’t bother hiding the trace of smirk slowly rising in his lips.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about, Howon.”

“Well, it looks like you’re lucky tonight.” Howon chuckled as they finally reached the top of the Astronomy Tower with Professor Sinistra already waiting inside. “Thank Merlin Nam Woohyun fancies the pants off of Hyuna or your plan would have been foiled.”

Indeed, he’s lucky tonight, Sunggyu thought. Especially when a shrill yelp echoed through the room halfway through their stargazing session and Hyuna sporting a black eye that Professor Sinistra couldn’t heal with a simple healing charm. For the first time, Sunggyu found himself sharing Nam Woohyun’s mirth and he swore it’s going to be the last time he does.

Two pranks down, at least ten more (Sunggyu hopes) to go.


“Your hair looks like a mess.” Howon drawled as the cold autumn wind blew, making Sunggyu glare at the smug pureblood – oh, and the newest chaser of Slytherin’s quidditch team – walking in front of him. He would’ve wanted to say the same to the boy, if not for the fact Howon – Hoya, just because he’s now the new chaser and it sounds way cooler than Howon – still had his perfect jet black hair plastered on his head despite flying at an insane speed to impress Slytherin’s new captain Cho Kyuhyun.

The third year student couldn’t even fathom why the hell is it that he’s the one who got a not-so-attractive windswept hair when all he did was irritatingly sit at one of the bleachers on the quidditch pitch and glare at Hoya’s showing off.

Sunggyu instead resorted to an indignant huff and was to push past a now chuckling Hoya when they finally reached the school grounds where some Gryffindors were obnoxiously laughing and playing around, effectively blocking the nearest entrance inside the castle. And if it isn’t any worst, the students were Gryffindor’s famed pranksters (and beaters) Lee Donghae and Lee Hyukjae with their seemingly new apprentices – or victims, whichever point of view you would like to view it: that metamorphmagus Lee Sungyeol and of course, Nam Woohyun.

Well, if it isn’t a fine afternoon.

The four were laughing about something and upon closer inspection, Sungyeol’s showing off her metamoprhmagus skill by changing her previously brunette shoulder length hair to a vibrant color of blue. And then Hyukjae brandished a comb and ran it through his hair a few times before it went from its boring black color to a shade of something close to purple. The mere sight of what happened was enough to make Sunggyu halt. There was no way in hell he would go near those pesky students and he could very well tell that all the other students present on the grounds chose to do that too.

Sunggyu loves his very black hair, thank you very much.

“Scared at a bunch of foolish Gryffs?” Hoya snickered as he turned and cocked a mocking eyebrow at Sunggyu. Sunggyu, on the other hand, glared at Hoya, intent on taking the farthest entrance there is just to avoid Woohyun. Two years of staying at Hogwarts taught him that Woohyun brings humiliation and atrocities and incidents with him. Sometimes Sunggyu could still feel the glove of that atrocious telescope on his eye.

“I’m not. Just taking precautions and I know you’re not going to play fool and try to scare them with your face.”

Sunggyu could tell Hoya’s still smug about his victory and the former could only watch how the stupid boy walked towards the group of rowdy kids with his face as his only weapon. As if that would scare those juvenile delinquents. And being the greatest friend in the whole Wizarding world, Sunggyu forced himself to follow Hoya with a dejected sigh (because it would be fun to rub it in his face how wrong he was).

The Gryffindors’ boisterous laughter was reduced to face-splitting grins as they saw Hoya approaching and it definitely spelled doom for him. Half of Sunggyu wanted to back down and leave Hoya – he was asking for it anyway. But it was too late.

“Look who decided to grace us his presence, boys.” Donghae chuckled as he jumped down from the window arch he was sitting at, the others following his movements and blocked the entrance. It felt like they just stepped inside a den of vicious lions.

“And girl.” Sungyeol deadpanned with her still squeaky voice, eccentric blue hair bouncing on her shoulders before it changed into a disgusting shade of green. Sunggyu winced slightly at it.

And then his eyes caught Woohyun’s one, and the wince turned full on.

“And girl.” Donghae rolled his eyes before turning them back to Hoya and Sunggyu with their usual glint of mischievousness. They would be very lucky to get away from there without a stray strand of hair unharmed. “To what do we owe this pleasure, your royal pureblooded-ness?”

“You’re blocking my way.”

The boisterous laughter ticked Hoya and Sunggyu had to repress the chuckle threatening to slip from his lips. And then the so-called reincarnation of the famed Weasley twins opened their mouths.

“Heard that? We’re blocking his way, boys–”

“–And girl–”

“–What do you think–”

“–Should we do?”

The act sent a headache to Sunggyu’s head. He swore himself that he would never ever let himself listen to Donghae and Hyukjae talk simultaneously again.

“Why not make their hair just like Hyukjae’s?” Woohyun’s half-cracking voice echoed.

Sunggyu swore he would never ever listen to Donghae and Hyukjae talk simultaneously and to Woohyun spitting out nonsensical ideas ever again.

Both Donghae and Hyukjae wore smirks as they looked at Woohyun who was wearing his own. Merlin, these smirking buffoons, what Sunggyu would give to wipe those smirks away from their faces. His small eyes glared at Woohyun who cocked an eyebrow at him.

“I bet red would definitely look good on them.”

“Especially on Slytherin’s so called princess.” Sungyeol grinned as she looked down at Sunggyu, hair changing from green to red in a blink of an eye. Woohyun chuckled his agreement before he winked at Sunggyu. Sunggyu’s hand itched to take his wand out and spit the first spell that his mind would conjure – probably Avada Kedavra.

“My father would definitely hear about this, wouldn’t you want that, Nam?” Hoya hissed as he sent a glare at Woohyun who only chuckled some more, clearly unaffected of Hoya’s empty threat. Donghae and Hyukjae then stepped forward and Sunggyu contemplated on using a charm on his ears to block out their voices.

“And our fathers will hear about how the great pureblood Lee Howon sported red hair to his first quidditch match against Gryffindor–”

“–Because he so wanted Gryffindor to win–”

“–That he purposely let a bludger hit him squarely on the head–”

“–Or maybe that’s just us, hitting your overly large head–”

“–Since we’re the best beaters around.”

“Wouldn’t you want that, Hoya?” Donghae and Hyukjae both said with their best imitation of Hoya’s drawl before they laughed along with Woohyun and Sungyeol. Hoya glared one last time before he hissed and pushed his way over, bumping the still laughing Gryffindors with Sunggyu following suit. Unfortunately, Woohyun blocked his way with a smirk that made Sunggyu brandish his wand.

“I meant it, Kim Sunggyu.” He said with a voice that was so uncharacteristically serious that Sunggyu thought he was a talking to a different person. “Red would definitely look good on you, especially on that wind swept hair of yours.”

“Bugger off.” Sunggyu said with a glare before he pushed Woohyun aside, failing to see Woohyun stealthily slipping something on his slightly opened sling bag and tuning out the guffaws from the Gryffindors. He also failed to notice how Woohyun never joined in laughing with his housemates.

 

Sunggyu took a deep breath as he looked in front of the mirror with a seemingly innocent looking comb that he never owned. He was still too hyped after waking up from his dream that warned him of the next prank he needs to endure.

He perfectly knows the comb he’s holding is an especially charmed comb-a-chameleon that would make his hair change from the usual jet black one to a fiery red. He wouldn’t deny the fact that it indeed looked well on him, what he minded was the “Little Red Riding Gyu” title that was associated with his red hair – the work of Nam Woohyun.

Was it worth the risk?

Sunggyu half-screamed in frustration as he held onto the sides of his still fuzzy hair.

“This is your entire fault Nam Woohyun.” Sunggyu muttered as he threw the comb aside and fell back on the bed despite the fact that he’s gonna be late for breakfast (and possibly his first period too).

“I meant it, Kim Sunggyu.” He said with a voice that was so uncharacteristically serious that Sunggyu thought he was a talking to a different person. “Red would definitely look good on you, especially on that wind swept hair of yours.”

The memory suddenly flashed through Sunggyu and it never failed to send a shiver in him – out of disgust, of course. Honestly, Sunggyu couldn’t remember that scene anymore, couldn’t even remember that Woohyun was serious during that encounter. Bloody hell, he couldn’t even remember that that encounter happened. But there was something different about Woohyun that time; there was no hint of his usual playful and mischievous streak present on his demeanor and Sunggyu knew never did once he saw Woohyun so serious – not even when Headmistress McGonagall was reprimanding him.

Did the ring alter this reality he was in? Or was Woohyun really serious?

The door suddenly banged open and stood Howon who approached him with a curious expression.

“What, pray tell, are you still doing? Breakfast will start in a few minutes and here you are having the time of your life lying on the bed.”

Sunggyu rolled his eyes and glared at Howon – Hoya in front of him.

“Sorry, mother.”

“ you, you know. Here I was, being the best friend you could ever get and all I get is this. You’re such a princess.”

“I am not a princess. I should have hexed you the moment you declared I was the Slytherin Princess.”

“Seems fitting, isn’t it? After all, your sister’s almost graduating, who else is the best person for her to pass the title too?”

“Kim Heechul, perhaps?”

“I don’t think so. She might look like a princess but she’s nowhere near one once she opens her devious mouth. Besides, you act like one, Sunggyu, admit it. Aren’t you a damsel in distress most of the time?”

“I am not, you arsehole.” Sunggyu muttered and saw how Howon’s eyes caught the comb resting on his side table, hand already reaching to get it. For a moment, Sunggyu considered letting Hoya use the comb. He wondered if red would look good on him. Merlin, he wondered if any color would make Hoya look good.

Sunggyu doubted it.

Red would definitely look good on you, especially on that wind swept hair of yours.

In a second, it felt like everything snapped into place; Woohyun’s seriousness and the real reason (or Sunggyu thought so) why he slipped the comb-a-chameleon inside Sunggyu’s sling bag. How could he have not noticed it before?

With a rapid heart against his chest, Sunggyu quickly snatched the comb from Hoya who’s already halfway through combing his hair. It earned him a suspicious look before Hoya blinked.

“That’s mine.”

“I know. What’s gotten your knickers in a bunch?”

Well, . He hasn’t really thought about this.

“Who knows what kind of…creatures your greasy hair possesses. I’m betting on Nargles.” Sunggyu drawled as he stood from his bed and glared at Hoya. “Well? Do you plan on watching me comb?”

“Geez, you’re worse than a moody hippogriff. I’m gonna grab some breakfast, try not to be late, princess.”

As soon as Hoya closed the door behind him, Sunggyu took a deep breath and stared at his bed-mussed hair in front of the mirror. He hopes his instincts were right as he raised his hand and hovered the comb on his head.

One swipe, two swipes, three swipes. And when Sunggyu opened his eyes, a shocking color of red welcomed his sight. His hair was combed back just like his usual hairstyle except that his hair is now the color of Gryffindor’s banners. A smile slowly made its way on Sunggyu’s lips as he admired his look on the mirror; well what do you know, Woohyun was right about one thing.

Red would definitely look good on you, especially on that wind swept hair of yours.

And then Sunggyu found himself ruffling his usual neat hairstyle like he had just got up from bed. When he was done, he smirked as he stared at his finished product.

“You wouldn’t know what hit you or so help me Merlin, I’m going to cut off your balls and feed them to the Giant Squid, Nam Woohyun.”


Kim Sunggyu wasn’t really new to garnering attention –years of spending it with Woohyun at Hogwarts prepared him for it– but it was the first time that day that he (dare he say it) relished the attention. Never once did he felt conscious about the stares and whispers as he walked towards the Great Hall. He could clearly see some girls – and boys – ogling him and he felt himself smirk.

But somehow, the one person he wishes to see hasn’t happened to pass by him just yet.

When he finally reached the Great Hall, his smirk widened when he saw who was walking from the opposite side. Sunggyu stopped just in front of the massive opened doors of the Great Hall and watched with amusement at how Woohyun seemed to stop from his tracks a few feet away from him.

From the looks of it, it seems like Sunggyu’s suspicions were right.

There was a slight tint of red on Woohyun’s cheeks as he stepped in front of Sunggyu but it was gone too soon before Sunggyu can enjoy it. If only he wasn’t so embarrassed about it before, he should have read the signs.

“Nice morning to dye a hair, Sunggyu.” Woohyun cheekily said as he checked out Sunggyu’s crimson hair. “I told you red looks good on you, didn’t I? Maybe you should sit on the Gryffindor bleachers on Sunday and support us, yes?”

“Sure, as long as you use the comb you slipped on my sling bag.” Sunggyu faked a glare, trying to provoke Woohyun who unwittingly fell into the trap. “Maybe Slytherin green looks good on your…bushy hair.”

“Oh, I don’t know what you’re talking about, Little Red Riding Gyu.”

It seems like Sunggyu’s memories still serve him right. Back then, this is the part where Sunggyu will fume and storm inside the Great Hall while trying to evade the chuckles and laughter directed at him. But in this time, this is where history won’t repeat itself.

Sunggyu’s smirk was still in place when he stepped closer to Woohyun and leaned over his ear. He could literally feel Woohyun’s shiver on his skin and it only boosted his confidence up as he whispered as huskily as his fourteen-year-old voice can do.

“Would you like me to ride you then, you big, bad wolf?”

Sunggyu then wagged his eyebrows suggestively at Woohyun before he ran his hand on his hair and mussed it up further. Then he turned and entered the Great Hall, leaving behind a gaping Woohyun who had a deadly shade of crimson on his cheeks.

Well, what do you know; Nam Woohyun seems to fancy Kim Sunggyu. And this spells victory to Sunggyu, well at least he thinks so.


“I still can’t believe how Key managed to get into the Slug club. He doesn’t even come from a pureblood family.”

Sunggyu rolled his eyes as he passed by some Ravenclaws chatting on his way up to Professor Slughorn’s office. He raised his head up, wore the stiff mask that almost all Slytherins seemed to be enforced to do (really, it was just to ward off unwanted students to talk to them) and walked past the Ravenclaws who quickly hushed and avoided looking at Sunggyu. Not that he was looking at them anyway. He was barely out of earshot when he heard the students talking once more, and now he could hear his name on their conversation.

“What do you reckon Sunggyu’s opinion is on Key becoming a member of the Slug Club?”

“I don’t know. Probably pissed. After all, he was supposed to be the Potions genius in our age.”

“But let’s also take into account that Key knows his way to make a decent potion. I heard him one time saying it’s just like cooking, mix all the ingredients right and you’ll get the perfect food. Merlin, what a muggleborn way to describe brewing a potion.”

“Must have been a blow to Sunggyu’s pride then. He is, after all, dubbed as Professor Slughorn’s protégé and he’s barely done with fourth year.”

Sunggyu barely threw a glare on the students whispering on the foot of the stairs, and smirking as he watched the students scamper off out of his sight. As soon as he was left all alone on the staircase, he heaved a sigh and contemplated on their words. While they are partially correct about Sunggyu getting a bit pissed off on this Key being a late bloomer potioneer, Sunggyu has no proof whatsoever that the kid cheated. And if he did, then he would be the first Hufflepuff he knew that cheated to get recognition, no less. Plus, Professor Slughorn doesn’t seem as enamored with that Hufflepuff as he is with Sunggyu, right?

Then again, Professor Slughorn doesn’t really pick students to join the Slug Club during the middle of the term.

The thought alone made Sunggyu stomp his feet a bit louder on the floor. He was supposed to be Professor Slughorn’s prized student, and now somebody is threatening to take that away from him (he almost hexed Hoya earlier during dinner after rubbing it in his face. Hoya should be thankful that Headmistress McGonsgall was already eyeing them from the front).

Add the fact that Key seemed to hang out with Woohyun lately pissed Sunggyu more. Who knows what bad influences Woohyun had transferred to Key, and now that he’s a part of the Slug Club, who’s to say that Key won’t try a prank or two during their meetings?

Sunggyu forced himself to walk faster towards Professor Slughorn’s office, shaking the thoughts of seeing Key during the club’s mandatory weekly meeting. He should just ignore the kid – he’s very good at doing so, mind you. You can ask Hoya. Sunggyu prayed to all the founders of Hogwarts that Woohyun is not up to something terrible– or better yet, Woohyun is not up to something terrible and aim it at Sunggyu and ask Key to do it during the club’s meetings. He could already feel the massive headache brewing inside his head, and the headache only intensified as soon as he entered Professor Slughorn’s office. He saw his usual place on the table already occupied by someone he was just thinking about.

Speak of the dementor and it shall come.

The soles of his newly polished shoe scraped against the almost empty room – it was just him and that newbie inside the room, surprisingly – but the other student didn’t seem to mind his presence. Oh, not at all, judging from the way he was lounging on the chair with his feet propped up on the table. An irritated huff went out of Sunggyu as he stopped in front of the Key and fixed his small eyes with an intimidating glare.

“Excuse me, but you’re on my seat.”

“Oh, hello there, Sunggyu.” Sunggyu watched over the Hufflepuff as he calmly placed his foot down and stood in front of him. The Slytherin didn’t bother to hide his disdain as he eyed the spot on the pristine oak table where the other student had his feet propped up for who knows how long.

“The Slug Club’s meeting will start any time soon; I’d go find a seat other than that if I were you.” Key chuckled, and it unnerved Sunggyu, so he decided to scrutinize the other in front of him. On the bright side, Key was smaller than Sunggyu with piercing feline like eyes, though that tousled blond hair with the tips dyed in a rather bold color of blue-green was a bit unnerving (he blames the feeling from his past hair-dyeing experience just last year). He must give it to the student though for still wearing a bright smile even if Sunggyu’s wearing the haughty demeanor.

“I’m sure we haven’t been formally introduced yet. I’m sure you pureblood Slytherins always do that. I’m Kim Kibum. But you can call me Key, you know, since I share the same name as that fifth year housemate of yours.”

The boy was a ray of ing sunshine, Sunggyu could see that, and while it was a change from the usual brooding and/or haughty expressions that Sunggyu was so used to back in the dungeons, he could say that it wasn’t welcomed. The bright expression that the Hufflepuff donned remind him so much of trouble.

“I know who you are and frankly, my dear, I don’t give a damn.”

Key’s overly bright smile seemed to falter a bit at Sunggyu’s drawled words only to have it replaced by a challenging and somewhat troublesome smirk and suddenly Sunggyu had the nagging feeling that he saw that mischievous grin somewhere.

“Ah, spoken like a true Slytherin princess.” Key chuckled as he leaned back and regarded Sunggyu with those feline like eyes and he found that he didn’t like it one bit. So the fourth year Slytherin student returned the stare with a glare that should’ve intimidated the Hufflepuff, but to Sunggyu’s surprise he only earned a chuckle from Key.

“Well? You’re still here and in my seat, so if you would please choose another one?”

“But I want to have this seat.” Key smirked as he circled Sunggyu and the latter felt like he was thrown into a pit of hyenas – well a badger pretending to be a hyena in his situation. “What are you gonna do about it?”

“Oh, I don’t know. Maybe throw a hex here and there, probably strike you a few times too.”

“Please, Sunggyu.” Key drawled before settling in front of Sunggyu and leaning against the edge of the table with his arms crossed against his chest. “We share the same DADA class, and everyone knows just how…ungifted Potioneer Extraordinaire Kim Sunggyu is with defending himself, let alone attack another person.”

Well e.

“And if I were you, I’d be very careful of who you threaten, oh so precious Slytherin Princess. Don’t say I didn’t warn you, though.” Sunggyu glared as Key chuckled in front of him before turning his eyes on the teacups neatly placed on the table – were those already there earlier? “You can have the seat, it has a pretty boring view, anyway.”

Before Sunggyu could retaliate, the door opened and in came a handful of students along with Professor Slughorn. The Slytherin could only glance back at Key who playfully winked at him before bouncing off towards the other end of the round table.

 

“But I want to have this seat. What are you gonna do about it?”

Sunggyu suddenly found himself in front of a smirking Key, just like how it was many years ago. One moment, he was sure he was eating his dinner while sporting a red hair and a smug smile from one-upping Woohyun then suddenly a vision of the next prank overcame him. The next time he opens his eyes, he’s already a fourth year and confronting Key. Time traveling is such a pain in the arse.

At least there were the visions though, to warn him of the impending doom about to happen.

So instead of the snarky remark he was supposed to say, he constructed something…pleasant to get him out of this sticky situation. After all, wasn’t Key an accomplice to Woohyun’s nose-biting teacup prank before?

Sunggyu found himself shrugging before he took a look at Key once more, making sure to convey the message to Key that he’s being scrutinized. Bloody hell, of all the times his mind could fail at conjuring something pleasant, why does it have to be this time?

“Cat got your tongue, princess?”

“Not really. Just reckoned I don’t have to step down your level. After all, you wouldn’t understand certain…protocols based on your…parentage.” Sunggyu let out a smirk as he heard a scandalous gasp from Key.

“Why you Slytherin pureblood sl–” And then the Hufflepuff started fuming, his fists already clenched and eyes wide in fury and it only made Sunggyu smirk some more. Typical way to irritate a muggleborn without blatantly insulting them.

“Cat got your tongue, muggleborn?”

Key opened his mouth – probably to let out some more curses when footsteps echoed outside. Perfect.

“Some piece of advice, though.” Sunggyu said just as the door opened and students started coming inside. He let his small eyes lock on Key’s as the other members of the Slug Club took their places on the table. “I’d be careful of who you prank if I were you, pretty little badger.”

Another wave of students came and Sunggyu took it as an opportunity to slip back and take a seat far away from Key whose eyes were now wide. By the time Sunggyu found another seat – unfortunately beside Shim Changmin –almost everybody had arrived except for Professor Slughorn.

Sunggyu’s small eyes met Key’s feline ones as soon as the former settled down his seat and sent a mocking eyebrow at the other student. It was too late to change seats anyway, seeing that all the chairs were already occupied saved from Professor Slughorn’s. Too bad Key seemed to have gotten caught up on his own trap.

A few minutes later and Professor Slughorn finally arrived and quickly started the meeting as soon as he took his rightful seat. The teacups were magically filled with warm tea – chamomile (ah, Sunggyu’s favorite) and the plates had different kinds of cookies. Small chatters soon erupted among the other students and Professor Slughorn himself but Sunggyu paid them no mind. In fact, his eyes were fixated on Key who was all fidgety in his seat. He wasn’t even touching the cup in front of him, and Sunggyu almost chuckled on how he evaded yet another prank of Nam Woohyun. Oh, but this was far from over. He took a long sip from his own teacup, the tea soothing him and boosting his already inflated confidence before he turned towards Professor Slughorn.

“Professor Slughorn, if I may interrupt.” Sunggyu drawled while said professor stopped in the middle of a rather enthusiastic conversation with Ravenclaw’s Lee Sungjong. The chatters quickly died down and all eyes were suddenly on Sunggyu.

“Yes, Mr. Kim?”

Sunggyu graciously raised his teacup as he eyed Key and he almost chuckled at the wary look Key had. The boy must have figured out the predicament he is in.

“I would like to propose a toast, for our new member, yes?” Sunggyu ignored the snort that he received from Changmin – ever the Gryffindor hater – as he urged the other students to raise their cups. “I mean, it has been so long since we’ve had new members in the middle of the school year, right?”

“Oh. It’s really not necessary–” Key tried to intervene but Professor Slughorn and most of the students were already agreeing to Sunggyu’s proposition.

“But I insist. Please.” Sunggyu smirked as Professor Slughorn nodded.

“Really, professor, I don’t think this is all essential.”

“I reckon it’s a good idea. Shall we, then? Mr. Kim, do the honors for us please.” Professor Slughorn had his cup already raised and was ignoring the protests of Key. Sunggyu’s smirk widened as he raised his cup higher while he locked his gaze onto Key’s suddenly blank ones.

“Here’s to the new member of the Slug Club. May he have the pleasure of trying a taste of his own medicine.” Sunggyu merrily said, ignoring the curious glances of his fellow members on the words he picked. “Cheers.”

He took a sip of his tea after the others half-muttered ‘cheers’ and proceeded to drink from their own cups as well. And then he noticed Key not drinking from his cup. That won’t do well.

“Why are you not drinking? Is there something wrong with your cup?” Sunggyu called out and everyone now had their eyes on Key.

“Oh, I don’t know, what do you think, Sunggyu?”

“I could ask you the same question, Key.”

“Is something the matter?” Professor Slughorn interjected and Sunggyu blinked innocently at Key.

“Certainly nothing, professor.” Sunggyu raised his half empty cup to them once more and almost chuckled when he received a glare from Key. And then the Hufflepuff raised his teacup towards his mouth.

Oh he could already envision the ear-piercing shriek that would bounce through the walls.  

Only it doesn’t come. Instead, the sound of porcelain glass shattering on the floor caught everyone’s attention. Sunggyu turned towards Key who now had a small smirk on his lips, hand still poised from dropping the teacup.

“Oops…?” Key said, his voice seemed to be louder than it was supposed to be on the deadly silent room. Sunggyu’s fingers tightened around his cup before he settled it on the table and returned Key’s challenging stare. Professor Slughorn then fussed over the mess while the other students helped and asked if Key is alright.

That moment, Sunggyu swore he hated nothing more than Hufflepuff’s Kim Kibum.

“You know…” Sunggyu felt Changmin nudge him gently on the side. “If I were you, I’d be on a lookout for that newcomer. Wouldn’t want to have a filthy muggleborn to upstage you, would you?”

And Shim Changmin has never been so right. Sunggyu might have escaped that nose-biting teacup but he had gained another enemy in the form of Key.