Chapter 3

The Past is Written, The Ink is Dry.

A/N: Because I lost my muse. Again.


“So, heard you’re still dateless. Bodyguard Hoya too strict around the Slytherin Princess?”

Sunggyu’s hand shook, almost grabbing the spare unicorn horn and ‘accidentally’ stabbing Woohyun beside him. It felt like time’s taking too long to move when in fact two hours already passed since Potions class started. And with some unlucky , Sunggyu ended up being partners with Woohyun that day since Hoya still had that broken arm from the last quidditch match with Ravenclaw (serves him right, Sunggyu thinks). And with some more unlucky , Woohyun’s partner was also missing for no apparent reason.

At least there aren’t any explosions or melting cauldrons or suffocating gases just yet. Must be because the Yule ball is just around the corner.

Which only reminds Sunggyu of how he’s still dateless with barely a week to spare.

“Sod off, Nam. Are you done powdering the unicorn horn?” Sunggyu gritted his teeth, avoiding to look at Woohyun as he checked the bubbling potion. At least the concoction turned turquoise just as the book instructed. He might have to use this potion – Draught of Peace – as soon as the class ends though, because Sunggyu’s sure he might do some unforgivable things if Nam Woohyun doesn’t shut up anytime soon.

“Yeah, should I put it on the cauldron, your highness?”

Sunggyu sighed and shook his head, noting to himself that they’re almost done with the potion. Surely he can make it until the end without exploding. He turned towards the cauldron and thankfully, the potion starts turning to purple.

“Yes. Just until the potion turns–”

Sunggyu’s eyes widened as Woohyun emptied the small pouch of powdered unicorn horn on the cauldron without a hint of hesitation.

“–grey.”

“It’ll turn grey soon, your majesty.” Woohyun snickered and Sunggyu couldn’t stop himself from glaring at Woohyun. Too bad it only made the Gryffindor student chuckle some more and motioning towards the cauldron, where indeed, the potion turned grey. Well a very dark, very ominous shade of grey. But still grey.

“That’s not grey. That’s borderline black.”

“Still grey. At least the cauldron didn’t explode. Should I stir it for you as well, Princess Sunggyu?”

“Why you little sh–” Sunggyu leaned forward and was about to grab Woohyun by his collar when he noticed Professor Slughorn rounding the corner to check up on them. So instead, the Slytherin student took a deep breath and shove Woohyun aside.

Sunggyu doesn’t even want to touch that dark grey concoction, not even until it turns white just like a perfect Draught of Peace.

Woohyun’s chuckles never calmed Sunggyu down, and neither Woohyun leaning over the embers and adjusted the heat.

“What in Salazar Slytherin’s name are you doing?!” A hiss went out of Sunggyu as he tried to stop Woohyun from adjusting the flames to high, and yet he found himself on a losing battle. Never would he have known that Woohyun’s arms could shove him aside that easily. And then Professor Slughorn reached their table sporting a curious look. Somehow, Sunggyu knew the look doesn’t forebode a positive grade for him that afternoon.

“Ah, good thinking on adjusting the heat to high when having this kind of dark grey shade, Mr. Nam. I’m guessing the powdered unicorn horn got one too many?” Professor Slughorn said with an amused smile as Woohyun nodded.

“Actually Professor, it was Sunggyu’s idea to do so, since I ‘accidentally’ poured one too many powdered unicorn horn on the concoction.”

“Well done, both of you. Ten points each to Slytherin and Gryffindor.” Professor Slughorn declared before turning and checking on the other students’ works, leaving a snickering Woohyun and a dumbfounded Sunggyu.

“H-how…”

“You have very little faith in me Sunggyu. Look, it’s already turning orange.”

Sunggyu growled, hand already wrapped around his wand if not for the fact that the potion is miraculously turning orange. He heaved a sigh of relief before glaring at Woohyun who was wearing a mocking smile.

“Told you so. Seems like the Slytherin Princess will get a high grade today, as always.”

The cauldron soon emitted a calming scent as it turned just the perfect shade of orange and Sunggyu couldn’t stop himself from smiling. For once in his life, he admits that maybe Woohyun is right this time.

“So, going back to my question earlier, still got no date for the ball?” Woohyun asked and Sunggyu opted to ignore him by snatching the small pouch of the remaining powdered porcupine quills and carefully pouring it to the cauldron until the potion turned to a perfect white. A small grin found itself to Sunggyu’s lips as he leaned forward and immediately calmed down at the mere scent of the draught.

“Pass me the vial, will you?”

“I asked you a question.”

“And I don’t want to answer it.” Sunggyu sighed. If only Woohyun knows how to shut his mouth, the calm feeling Sunggyu has would’ve stayed until the end of the day. Sadly, this is Nam Woohyun we’re talking about. He never shuts his mouth.

“Aw, touchy topic?” Woohyun chuckled before tossing the vial towards Sunggyu. “It’s the least you could do for this humble student. After all, I saved your potion for today.”

“Which wouldn’t need any saving if you perfectly followed my instructions! You have one job to do, and look at what you did.” Sunggyu hissed, catching the vial and carefully scooping some of the potion on it.

“But it turned out perfectly fine, didn’t it?”

He then turned to shoot one last glare at Woohyun before grabbing his things along with the vial and hurriedly walked towards Professor Slughorn and passing the sample of his – their –potion. He couldn’t even hear the usual praises from Professor Slughorn because his ears are ringing with whatever nonsense Woohyun’s spitting out. Apparently, the Gryffindor had the audacity to follow him, even as he made his way out of the room.

Sunggyu finally snapped when he reached the hallway where the stairway leading down to the Slytherin Dungeons, with Woohyun still calling out to him and asking him something he couldn’t quite comprehend. He didn’t know why, but it must have been the after effects of the short exposure to the Draught of Peace. With a sharp turn, he mustered his most annoyed voice and fixed a glare in place, hoping that Gryffindor would leave him in peace.

“Will you stop following me?!”

“–to the ball with me?”

There was a sudden silence that was so deafening that Sunggyu was sure his mind was playing tricks on him. Did he just heard Woohyun right?

Oh no, this must be some kind of prank.

“E-excuse me?”

“I was asking if you would like to go to the ball with me.” Woohyun asked one more time, and only this time did Sunggyu noticed how he was half panting (probably from trying to keep up) and his hair slightly in disarray and he looked somewhat cute –

Stop. This is Nam Woohyun we’re talking about, Sunggyu.

So Sunggyu did what he thought his fellow Slytherin students (nah, just Hoya probably) would do to not only piss off a Gryffindor, but guarantees said Gryffindor would steer away from him.

“Bugger off, Nam. What makes you think I’ll go with a muggleborn like you?” Sunggyu drawled haughtily before turning around and trying not to remember the look of shock and a bit of disappointment on Woohyun’s face. With every step he took, he tries to convince himself that he should’ve done that a long time ago. But his conscience seemed to tell him otherwise.

As he turned around the corner leading him towards the Slytherin dungeons, Sunggyu knew Woohyun’s disappointed face would haunt him for the rest of his years in Hogwarts. In fact, the guilt was so heavy inside him that Sunggyu had the urge to turn around and apologize to Woohyun. The only thing holding him back would be the disproving faces of his fellow housemates, especially Hoya.

And speaking of his so-called friend, Sunggyu hopes that Hoya wouldn’t hear about how the Slytherin Princess got asked out by the infamous Gryffindor prankster Nam Woohyun. He’s certain that friend of his would have a field day despite his injury.

 

 “–to the ball with me?”

Why in Merlin’s blue balls did the ring took Sunggyu to this time? The dream didn’t even depict the exact moment the prank happened. And by the looks of it, it seems like he’s going to be stuck in this era for at least a week or so more.

Bloody hell.

“Sunggyu…?”

Sunggyu blinked and shook his head clear as he stared at the fifth year Woohyun in front of him. He was exactly the same as how Sunggyu remembered him during this year. Messy hair, slightly disarrayed clothes and twinkling mischievous eyes.

And Sunggyu is feeling exactly the same as he was back then – heart beating fast and inappropriate (and despicable) thoughts running through his mind.

“E-excuse me…?”

“I was asking if you wanted to go to the ball with me.” Woohyun panted, trying to calm his breathing while rubbing the back of his head nervously. Sunggyu had to stop himself from thinking how Woohyun looked…attractive this close.

What do you know, some things never change.

Sunggyu took a deep breath and tried to recall what he exactly did, because after all, the ring takes him to the part where he could avoid pranks by making a different decision. He remembered kind of insulting Woohyun while rejecting him and the look of disappointment on Woohyun’s face momentarily flashed in his mind once more. Something inside Sunggyu clenched painfully while his conscience seemed to wake up and reprimand him.

Did you really have to insult his wizarding parentage?

This is exactly the reason why the Sorting Hat thinks he should have been in Hufflepuff.

Sunggyu spared Woohyun one more glance and contemplated on his offer. Could it be that the prank will not happen to him if he chose a different date to the ball, especially if he agrees with Woohyun?

Thinking about it, Nam Woohyun doesn’t look that bad; from his chiseled jaw to his tall nose and those canines that peek whenever he smirks. Puberty did wonders to him except for the fact that Sunggyu is still taller than him by a few inches. But still, this is the same Nam Woohyun who nearly pushed him off the boat in first year, lend him a boxing telescope during second year, forced dyed his hair red in third year, made him use a nose biting teacup last year, and suffer great shame on the upcoming Yule ball and more pranks the following years.

Was it worth the shot?

Surely, Woohyun won’t put his partner’s dignity on the line by playing a prank on him right? Or is this just the stepping stone for a much bigger prank?

“Well?”

Sunggyu stared hard at Woohyun once more as he contemplated the things that might happen if he agrees. Aside from the fact that most of his housemates would look down on him (oh, who was he kidding, he is the Slytherin Princess after all), there were tons of other advantages that would give way if he gets Nam Woohyun as his date to the ball.

Like, perhaps, the ability to manipulate who gets to be the victim of this prank.

“In one condition.” Sunggyu almost regrets it when he saw the blinding smile that Woohyun flashed him. In all honesty, Sunggyu thinks that the smile only spelled doom for him no matter how bright and fulfilled it looked like. “No pranks.”

“How sure are you that I am up to no good? Doesn’t that sound so…judgmental?” The wide smile from Woohyun seemed to only prove how he’s already cooking something wicked inside his mischievous mind (but it’s not like Sunggyu doesn’t already know that).

“I’ve lived five excruciating years with you throwing pranks every now and then, Nam.” Sunggyu hissed as he brandished his wand from his robes and pointed it at Woohyun dangerously. “I mean it. No pranks involving me nor even slightly making fun of me or so help me Merlin I will burn you beyond recognition, castrate you and feed your disgusting remains to the Giant Squid and merpeople.”

Sunggyu watched as Woohyun backed off a little with his hands in mock surrender and smile even wider than earlier. It only irked Sunggyu more as he his wand and lodged it on Woohyun’s neck.

“I mean it Woohyun.”

“Blimey, you’re such a prude.” Woohyun chuckled as he gently pushed Sunggyu’s wand to the side. “You have little faith in me, your majesty.”

“I don’t have faith in you, you slimy git.”

“Fair enough. You have my word, Sunggyu. No pranks involving you,” Sunggyu almost sighed in relief if nor for Woohyun continuing. The grip Sunggyu has on his wand only tightened. “As long as you stay with me the whole duration of the ball. Who knows, I might even let you choose who’s going to be the victim of this so called prank you’re accusing me of plotting.”

It was tempting, but Sunggyu have to make sure he’s safe first. And besides, there’s nobody in his mind to replace him to be the victim of a self-propelling custard pie. Yet.

“No thank you.”

“The offer still stands until the Yule ball.” Woohyun chuckled before backing off. “Oh, and one more thing. Would it be possible if you dye your hair red?”

“Why you little–” Sunggyu growled, a Sectumsempra spell already at the tip of his tongue as he swished his wand towards an already running Woohyun, his loud laughter bouncing through the walls of the hallway.

It was at that moment that Sunggyu seriously regretted his decision. He could only find himself rubbing the ring sitting heavily on his finger while mentally cursing Woohyun.

“Bloody hell, what have I gotten myself into?”


“Is it true then? That the Slytherin Princess is going with that filthy Gryffindor muggleborn prankster to the ball?”

“Piss off, will you, Changmin.” Sunggyu hissed as he entered the Slytherin dungeons with Shim Changmin in tow. Dealing with a student Changmin seemed to be more taxing than dealing with the older version of his housemate. News do fly so fast in Hogwarts, and with the itch of always being the first to hear the latest happenings, of course Shim Changmin would have his ears always open.

“Well, I must say, I hoped for better.” Changmin snickered and it took all of Sunggyu’s willpower not to turn towards the sixth year student and curse him to oblivion. “You and Kyuhyun are most probably shaken up in the head to choose Gryffindors to pursue.”

“Don’t be such a hypocrite, Changmin. Victoria Song is also a muggleborn. Just so happens that she’s a Ravenclaw. Ah, what would mummy dearest say if she hears her son taking a muggleborn to the ball?” Sunggyu smirked before challenging a baffled Changmin with a stare. “In fact, I might even drop by the owlery today, send a letter to my mum and maybe mention your choice of date. My mum and your mum always see each other on these pureblood tea parties every so often, don’t they?”

Sunggyu cocked an eyebrow at Changmin, his smirk growing wider as he watched how Changmin’s face turned purple while looking like a fish out of water. There was a garble of words that Sunggyu couldn’t make out before Changmin stormed towards the dorms.

“Prat.” Sunggyu hissed under his breath as he walked towards the common room but quickly stopping halfway when he saw Hoya already lounging on one of the green loveseats as if waiting for him. Well, e. He silently prayed to Salazar Slytherin that Hoya hasn’t seen him yet before stealthily (or so he’d like to think) turning back.

“Going somewhere, Sunggyu?”

Thanks for the help, oh great founder.

“Come, old friend. It feels like it’s been centuries since we’ve talked. And I was only gone for the day.” Sunggyu could perfectly hear the sarcasm dripping with every word that Hoya had drawled. “I reckon I’m already way behind the latest news around and I’m most certain you knew what happened today in the hallways near the Potions classroom.”

Sunggyu growled lowly, hand already reaching inside his robe as he turned and sent a smirking Hoya a menacing glare. Unfortunately, Hoya’s smirk only grew wider. Karma’s such a , Sunggyu thinks, as he stomped his way towards Hoya.

“ you, you know.”

“So, Kim Sunggyu finally succumbing to the he has with Nam Woohyun. Such big news, might even make it to the front page of the Daily Prophet. Imagine the princess of the Slytherin House breaking the Status Quo by taking a Gryffindor to the ball.” Hoya chuckled, making Sunggyu kick him in the shin.

“We do not have .”

“Please, everyone knows about it and we’re so disgusted we wish one of you would just do something.”

Sunggyu felt himself blushing. Was there really a of some sorts between him and Woohyun? Or was this a product of him altering the past once more? Yes, Sunggyu had deduced that Woohyun seemed to have fancied him since third year at most, but Sunggyu’s pretty sure he doesn’t harbor any attraction to Woohyun. The thought was just disturbing.

Or does he?

“I could perfectly hear your pretty little mind working here. Is your Ravenclaw instinct kicking in and craving for a night of discovering wisdom in between musky pages of an old tome?”

“At least I use my brain, Hoya.” Sunggyu hissed. “Would you like me to help you device a foolproof plan that would make Lee Sungjong go to the ball with you?”

“Shut your trap.”

Sunggyu chuckled and reveled at the rare sight of a blushing Hoya. Oh Merlin, why hadn’t he made use of the fact that Hoya fancied the pants off of fourth year Ravenclaw Lee Sungjong and never had the balls to actually ask her out?

“Have you even tried asking her out?”

“I don’t think she even knows me.”

“How could she not? You’re one of Slytherin’s prized chasers. You came from a line of rich and powerful pureblood family and so does she. I’m pretty sure she perfectly knows who you are.”

“But what if…what if she rejects me?”

Sunggyu resisted the urge to laugh at Hoya’s face. This certainly brings back a feeling of déjà vu for Sunggyu. He could clearly remember how Hoya told his insecurities and mulled over it until it was too late and Sungjong was whisked away by some guy from Durmstrang.

“Just…just be a man and grow a pair.”

“Just like how you did and finally said yes to Woohyun?”

“See if I give you an advice again, you asshat.” Sunggyu hissed, earning a hearty chuckle from Hoya. But deep down inside, Sunggyu knew that somehow, Hoya is right.


“Okay people, settle down. Now let me just…right Mr. Lee, yes, you Hyukjae, would you please…?” Sunggyu watched as Professor Bell walked towards the side of the Gryffindors and grabbed sixth year Lee Hyukjae towards the middle of the room. Soon enough, the large turntable started blaring out a tune for waltz.

There was a hum of teasing and chuckles as Professor Bell instructed the student what to do next, even Sunggyu couldn’t help but smile at the current situation.

“Serves him right, don’t you reckon?” Hoya muttered as he and some Slytherin students chuckled. But the amusement quickly died down for Sunggyu. His afternoon classes were cancelled to give way to a dance class headed by Professor Bell and while the idea sounded appealing, Sunggyu found himself dreading said dance lessons.

Why wouldn’t he when they were sharing the dance lessons with the Gryffindors?

And besides, he has been trapped in this year for almost two weeks already. It was so taxing to attend classes once more, especially when you already took them before.

“Please watch carefully how we do the waltz. Mr. Lee, kindly place your hand on my waist, no funny business I’m telling you.” Chuckles erupted from the students, the loudest ones coming from the Gryffindor side of the room. A low whistle then came from behind Sunggyu and the chuckles turned up a notch. Even Professor Bell seemed chuckling.

“My, aren’t we clammy today Mr. Lee.”

The scene would have been hilarious (how couldn’t it be when it seemed like the whole Gryffindor house was ganging up on Hyukjae?) if not for the fact that there’s this feeling of dread somewhere inside Sunggyu. Back then, he was sure nothing significant happened during the dance lesson, aside from the part where Hoya forced him to dance because as quoted from Hoya himself, Merlin, Sunggyu, I don’t want to be labeled a loser for being a wallflower.

And Sunggyu would like to wish the dance lesson would stay as peaceful as it could be.

Soon enough, Professor Bell called out to them to join in dancing, to which almost all the boys refused to acknowledged. There were a few more moments of friends nudging each other to step onto the girls’ side until one brave student – one of Gryffindor’s chasers – took the initiative and asked a fellow Gryffindor to dance. In a blink of an eye, boys started standing and asking girls to dance and Sunggyu could only wait until Hoya asks him to dance.

As expected, he received a nudge from Hoya and Sunggyu forced himself to act nonchalantly despite the fact that he already knows what will happen. Or does he?

Sunggyu’s brows knitted in confusion when he saw Hoya still sitting on his chair with his legs crossed and an amused expression on his (infuriating) face. This wasn’t how it was supposed to be, Sunggyu thought, because it seems like Hoya didn’t even looked like he’s going to ask Sunggyu to dance.

“What?”

“Your knight in shining red armor’s approaching you.” With a tilt of Hoya’s head, Sunggyu knew he was in deep trouble. He prayed to all the founders (yes, Gryffindor included) that it’s not who he thinks he is, but he knew the wish was so farfetched. Who was he kidding anyways?

Something inside him snapped (must be the natural instinct of cursing someone whenever he gets teased to Woohyun) and forced him to brandish his wand. But before he could even spit out the right spell at Hoya, there was already an annoying tap on his shoulder.

Bloody hell, Sunggyu just wants to Avada Kedavra someone. Most probably Nam Woohyun who’s wearing an amused smirk in his infuriating (yet handsome) face.

“Would his majesty want to practice dancing with this humble servant?”

If only Sunggyu could curse the blush out of his cheeks. The teasing jeers from his remaining housemates didn’t even helped him a brush the embarrassment he’s feeling right now. Was this the price he had to pay for just thinking that it was funny how Hyukjae was being ganged up by the whole Gryffindor house? Because Sunggyu was sure this embarrassment he’s feeling right now is exactly the same as how the Gryffindor felt when he was slightly humiliated.

“Go on then, Sunggyu. Why won’t you dance with your date?” Hoya snickered and Sunggyu found himself almost turning around and cursing Hoya if not for the (warm) hand on his wrist. What’s more surprising is that Sunggyu couldn’t even found it in himself to struggle out of Woohyun’s grip. It was like he was in a daze, with Woohyun controlling every lingering thought inside his mind.

He didn’t even realize that they were already on the edge of the makeshift dancefloor, and a handful of students were staring at them as Woohyun turned and offered his hand to Sunggyu. The blush on Sunggyu’s cheeks quickly rose once more and after a few eternities of searching, he finally found his own voice amidst the dryness of his throat.

“What in the bloodiest layer of hell are you doing, Nam Woohyun?”

“Well, this is a dancing class, is it not?”

“Are you out of–”

“Would you rather I walk you back to your mates then?” There was taunting in Woohyun’s voice and it was so clear that it almost overpowered the sounds of amused chuckles from where Hoya and his other housemates were residing. “Well?”

“I am warning you, Woohyun.”

“Yes, yes, no funny business. At least until after the ball.” Woohyun chuckled and a protest was already on the tip of Sunggyu’s tongue ready to be spat any time. Yet it all died as soon as the Gryffindor student grabbed one of Sunggyu’s hand and held onto it gently.

Merlin’s blue balls, was that Sunggyu’s heart hammering against his chest hard?

And then Woohyun placed his warm hand on Sunggyu’s hip and it sent warning signals to Sunggyu’s brain. This is so wrong in all levels.

One and two and three and four. The sequence was stuck in Sunggyu’s mind as Woohyun started leading him through the waltz. Sunggyu refused to look at Woohyun – not when they were so close that he could count the Gryffindor’s eyelashes. There was a small smirk present on Woohyun’s lips, small canines peeking out and making Sunggyu’s knees weaken.

He admits he’s far in too deep to escape.

“Much better than staying with your so called mates, doesn’t it?” Woohyun’s deep voice rumbled through every fiber of Sunggyu’s existence. He found himself looking up and locking eyes with Woohyun, a mistake he wants to regret but couldn’t.

The moment their eyes met, it’s as if nothing ceases to exist but only the two of them, waltzing on a soft tune in the middle of the room. There were no curious eyes, snickering housemates or even amused professors watching every step, turn and sway they do. All that matters are their locked gazes and entwined fingers, and try as hard as Sunggyu might, he could dare say the dance might be the best one he has as of yet (it's not like he had fair shares of dances. The only time he danced was during the unaltered version of this dance lesson years ago.).

That is until he heard that distinct, shrill whistle that is unmistakbly Shim Changmin's.

The moment was gone as soon as his so called house mates who chose to be wallflowers erupted in fits of mocking laughter. The laughter seemingly woke Sunggyu from his daze, and he almost pulled himself away from Woohyun, if not for the steady grip on his waist.

"Let them be." He heard Woohyun muttered as he continued leading Sunggyu to waltz. "The class is almost ending anyway. And besides, why pay mind to wallflowers when you have a dance partner?"

"You really are something, Nam Woohyun."

Woohyun chuckled once more just as the tune stopped and echoes of clapping replaced the music. Sunggyu watched how Woohyun let go and playfully bowed at him. And despite trying to be poker faced, Sunggyu found himself smiling at the Gryffindor's act. He was too busy being amused to even hear Professor Bell playfully dismissing the class.

"I'll see you at the ball, your highness." There was humor laced in Woohyun's voice yet oddly enough, Sunggyu seemed to be not bothered by it. What Woohyun did next sent his heart racing once more.

In the midst of students millinh towards the door, Woohyun took Sunggyu's hand and placed a soft kiss on it. It happened too fast that Sunggyu thought it was just a figment of his imagination. He stood frozen on the spot, students passing by him and others even bumping him but Sunggyu didn't bat a lash. All his attention was solely on Woohyun who winked before he turned.

Oh dear Merlin and Salazar Slytherin. What have I done to experience this kind of lovesick teenager tendencies when I'm already an adolescent? And to Nam Woohyun, no less?

And just when Sunggyu thought he'd stay like a lovesick teenager staring at Woohyun's retreating back, the moment was once again interrupted by Shim Bloody Changmin.

"Hey Sunggyu? Done being a blushing teenage bloke?"

Sunggyu would like to think that Shim Changmin's high pitched and annoying laughter (got it from great, great, great grand aunt Bellatrix, he says) was what drove him to call out for Woohyun's name.

Thankfully, the Gryffindor heard him despite the noise inside the room from the leaving students.

"Remember that offer you had for me?" Sunggyu found himself smirking as Woohyun cocked an eyebrow, as if confused. Before the latter could react, Sunggyu continued. "I reckon I have the perfect choice."

Woohyun's features then morphed into something mischievous and it only made Sunggyu's smirk widen. And before Sunggyu could back out, he forced a name out of his mouth.

"Shim Changmin."

There was pure, unadulterated mischief in Woohyun's eyes as he sent a playful salute at Sunggyu - must be a muggleborn thing. But Sunggyu didn't think too much of it, not when he could already smell the sweet scent of revenge. That slimy git Shim Changmin won't know what hit him.


It had been an hour and a half since the ball had started, and Sunggyu couldn't say he's enjoying it. Well, solely due to the fact that his oh-so-troublesome date decided to be troublesome yet again. And by that, Sunggyu meant Nam Freaking Woohyun disappearing to Merlin knows where as soon as the traditional champion's waltz started. Granted that he's going to plant that self-propelling pie somewhere in the bloody Great Hall, but still.

Sunggyu even made an effort to look as presentable (read:appealing and irresistible) for the slimy git only to get partially stood up. But of course he wouldn't admit this to anyone, not even to himself.

And as if Salazar Slytherin was punishing him with his stupid choices in life, he ended up sharing a table Changmin and Hoya who wouldn't stop pestering him even through dinner.

He swore this is going to be the last time he would ever agree to go on a date with a Gryffindor. Scratch that, this is going to be the last time he's going to go on a date with Nam Woohyun.

"Oh look who decided to show up after making you feel stood up for almost two hours." Sunggyu resisted the urge to throw the fork at Changmin's retreating back as he escorted a lightly frowning Victoria Song towards the dance floor. It didn't matter anyway, because the fork would definitely look better if lodged on Woohyun's neck. The same Nam Woohyun who's approaching him grinning like a niffler that emptied the gold at Gringott's.

"Oh, you finally showed up just as the ball is almost ending." Sunggyu couldn't help but drawl, because the ball is really near its end and almost half of the students already either sneaked out to rendezvous with their partners (just like Hoya and Sungjong half an hour ago) or go back to the dorms and call it a night (like Heechul who was bidding goodnight to the handsome Durmstrang champion by the doors of the Great Hall).

"Hey, no need to get salty now. I just did what you requested from me." Woohyun grinned - hair styled in a way that accentuates his boyishly attractive features and complements his charcoal black tuxedo. Sunggyu swore some hippogriff decided to take residence on his chest and started stomping around. Curse this so called hippogriff, because there's no way that's Sunggyu's heart beating rapidly against his chest, right?

And then Woohyun is leaning forward and bloody freaking hell abort whatever mission this is Kim Sunggyu -

"Happy Christmas, Sunggyu."

There was an embarrassingly high pitched shriek somewhere in the dance floor, and it's most likely Shim Changmin sporting thick icing on his ugly face, but Sunggyu couldn't care at the moment. The shrill tone of Changmin's shrieks didn't even overpower the slow tune of the piano resonating through the grand room and in Sunggyu's opinion the music only intensified. How could it not when Woohyun looks so handsome while chuckling at his antics?

Sunggyu's way in too deep and he knows it perfectly well. He's a sinker for Woohyun's eye smiles and tall nose and plump lips and sharp jawline. e.

And just when Sunggyu finally had the will to tear off his eyes from Woohyun, the slimy git decided to direct his eyes at him and Merlin's beard, the hippogriff must have brought some unicorn and dragon friends because there's a riot against Sunggyu's chest. He's surprised the whole population of Hogwarts hasn't heard the noise of his heart hammering so hard.

"Have I told you how dashing you look tonight?"

"Sh-shut up."

"That was honestly lame, Sunggyu." Woohyun chuckled and leaned even closer that Sunggyu swore he's now very well acquainted with Woohyun's features. "I regret not taking you to dance. I would have done so by now, but there's a current predicament on the dance floor."

Another chuckle, another heart beat a little too fast. Sunggyu took it as an opportunity to glance over Woohyun's newest victim. The white icing looks very good on Changmin, he thinks.

"And I reckon I may have the best idea to make it up to you."

"And how would you even do–"

It was fast, how Sunggyu turned towards Woohyun and find him so close to him that he could feel his warm breath against his cheeks. And oddly enough, Sunggyu couldn't back away and send a curse or two just like how he should have acted.

e.

"–that?"

His voice was reduced to a airy whimper and it made him wonder if Woohyun had him on imperius spell, because Sunggyu would definitely curse the living daylights out of the Gryffindor. And yet here he was, all powerless under Woohyun's wolfish grin.

Rough fingers hesitantly reached out for Sunggyu before they traced soothing lines against his cheeks and going down his jaw. A shiver went up Sunggyu's spine with every touch that Woohyun leaves on his skin. Those fingers stopped moving and proceeded to cup Sunggyu's cheek tenderly; an act that made Sunggyu shiver - whether because of anticipation or dread he doesn't want to know.

And besides, Sunggyu's too drowned under Woohyun's gaze to comprehend things.

Snow flakes magically transfigured to fall from the ceiling suddenly seemed to envelope the two of them as they stared at each other. It was a game between the two of them; who would succumb first and make the first move. A game that has high risks yet neither was going to lose. And just when Sunggyu thought it could go on forever, Woohyun leaned forward and making Sunggyu screw his eyes shut.

It was romantically cliched for Sunggyu, with the steady downpour of snow with a sweet tune bouncing through the walls of the Great Hall, but in all honesty he wouldn't have his first kiss with Woohyun any other way. Except that part where he felt that annoying tug in the pits of his stomach, and before he knew it he was being pulled into the abyss towards the next prank he has to evade.